Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think it's either the "starting area" scale got bigger so your gimme resources can be outside the fog or some sort of interference in the starting area where you aren't getting all your gimmes. I think it started around the last major version?

But yeah you're gonna spend 10 minutes rerolling to save 15 minutes which is one of the only low points of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It's normal to regenerate the map a couple of times to get a reasonable set of spawn minerals. It's even easy to do.
I gotcha.

Like I said, I know there're in-game settings for that sort of thing, I just didn't know if this was the expected way to play since I kept getting it, and learning to connect remote resources from the beginning was just something I was going to need to get used to. I know I'll have to later, but first thing seemed a bit quick.

M_Gargantua posted:

This may also be more a question of what you consider really far away. The starting resources always spawn in a tight clump, but the default unmodded resource spawn settings puts tons of low resource patches within easy walking distance. Once you have a car or a tank travel is easy, and trains make it trivial to travel miles across the map. The starting resources aren't litterally next to each other as a way to gently encourage players to set up belts to bring resources together. Even early game I have no problem running a 500 tile long belt from outside the starting area before I have trains.
Here's a screenshot of my very first base of operations. Note the position of the coal deposits relative to everything else.

(Yes, I know I'm gonna have to tear everything up and move it around.)

Just started up another one an hour ago (since I'm new to the game and just tinkering around for the sake of tinkering) where the nearest copper deposit is maybe three times as far away from nearest (and so far only) iron ore spot in the region.

I've got no qualms resetting the map till I get something a little less awkward though so it's no big deal. Like I said, I was just curious if this was normal.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That distance does seem excessive at first, but before long your base is gonna fill the gap anyways and it won't seem like much at all.

The game is about expansion, and that's just your first taste of it.

Note how they tease a decent iron+coal patch to the SW, it's begging you to expand down there asap.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
For whatever reason I optimize my base to low pollution output.

Beacons don't pollute despite consuming lots of energy, which means the optimal base has everything made in 12-beacon assembly machines powered by nuclear reactors.

I didn't see green biters until sometime after the 200th rocket.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

ShadowHawk posted:

For whatever reason I optimize my base to low pollution output.

Beacons don't pollute despite consuming lots of energy, which means the optimal base has everything made in 12-beacon assembly machines powered by nuclear reactors.

I didn't see green biters until sometime after the 200th rocket.

Start in a turbo-dense forest, never see L2 Biters (Or rather, meet their first attack while in power armor)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Wusses. I start persecuting biters as soon as I get a submachine gun.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My very first game had really dense forests on all sides, didn't know the implications and figured factorio was just a chill easy game. Then I researched flame throwers and was running out of space.

Ended up regretting torching it all, I had no idea the impact it had on pollution spread.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
I was very amused that the map generation preview doesn't include resource patch positioning, because that's the only real reason I regenerate maps in the first place.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Toadsmash posted:

I was very amused that the map generation preview doesn't include resource patch positioning, because that's the only real reason I regenerate maps in the first place.

It totally does?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Toadsmash posted:

Give it a second to generate the resource patches for you

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Evilreaver posted:

Start in a turbo-dense forest, never see L2 Biters (Or rather, meet their first attack while in power armor)
This is a bit different since evolution factor is the primary determinant of when green biters start showing up, and that's determined by net total pollution produced ever rather than pollution that hits the nests.

If your cloud never hits nests, you'll still be attacked by "migrating" biters attempting to set up a new camp. Some of those migrators will be green based on the evolution factor.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
If you're playing vanilla, it will show you all the resources spawns in the map preview. That's sorta the point of the preview function. If you are using RSO, that spawns ore patches after map generation is complete and won't show them in the preview.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Oh. That's why. Yeah I refuse to play without RSO. I should've guessed.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Evilreaver posted:

You may know this but its totally not obvious in game so I'll spell it out for anyone who doesn't reading the thread. Trees absorb pollution so your cloud doesn't spread as far/fast and since biter attacks are caused by your pollution reaching their nests you will get fewer attacks. If you are in dense forest and don't pollute that much it can be a long time until you see any. But evolution is based off pollution created (and game time and nests killed) so they will still get tougher even if they don't come knocking on your door. Don't totally neglect your military since eventually you will either expand past the forest or your pollution will and your first contact with the biters could be some really nasty ones.

Toadsmash posted:

Since they made ore deposits richer as you get farther from spawn and added all the map gen options you can get decent maps without RSO. I still tend to use it but its not as vital as it used to be.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

I try it again briefly every major patch and come out disappointed. If you play on more middling settings, it's okay, but if you're like me and continent-spanning rail networks are your idea of a good time, there's still no comparison.

Vanilla still loves to generate tons of bite size patches, which is the other thing that drives me crazy.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

ymgve posted:

Are there any "blind" playthroughs of 0.16? I feel like I'm doing lots of things wrong, but I don't know if I want to watch one of the tutorial videos and get everything spoonfed to me either.

Not blind playthroughs per se but...

Quill is usually a great resource to see general how to play things without having everything spoonfed because he doesn't optimize much so there's still a lot of room to improve on his designs. Unfortunately, his most recent playthrough was in 0.15.

Aavak has a 0.16 series. He's a decent youtuber in general and a quick flip through shows its not very optimal so that might be good too.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Toadsmash posted:

I try it again briefly every major patch and come out disappointed. If you play on more middling settings, it's okay, but if you're like me and continent-spanning rail networks are your idea of a good time, there's still no comparison.

Vanilla still loves to generate tons of bite size patches, which is the other thing that drives me crazy.

You can change that by doing stuff like low - very big - very rich. Rail world-style settings can get you past that.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
RSO let's you create some really interesting settings if you modify the mod files. You can get away with vanilla for a basic rail world but RSO really is a step up for control.

I have one setup where iron and copper basically won't happen in the same regions, and you get a couple patches of either iron or copper. The other ores mix and match in, so you can still find patches of stone with iron for concrete farms. With really big regions it leads to much larger rail networks.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Why is this thing not inserting copper plates into the maker? It's pointed the correct way, but it's refusing to do it. Why?

e: I'm an idiot who didn't realize it was full of copper cabling already. :doh:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

This is why BottleNeck is such a great mod, you would have been able to see at a glance that it was idle because its output was full rather than starved for input.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

This is why BottleNeck is such a great mod, you would have been able to see at a glance that it was idle because its output was full rather than starved for input.

I want to launch a rocket once, then go mod-happy so I can really appreciate everything I'd be changing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Make your second play a lazy bastard run. It forces you to think about automation instead of brute forcing everything.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

xzzy posted:

Make your second play a lazy bastard run. It forces you to think about automation instead of brute forcing everything.

And then never, ever, ever do it again. I learned so much getting about 2/3 of the way through a Lazy bastard run but I'm not terribly interested in doing it again because once you got the basics down its tedium.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Toadsmash posted:

I just use the infinite resource mod. Shows me all the resources in the preview.

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.
Also, turn biters off if you're doing a Lazy Bastard run. You don't need that headache on top of an already annoying limitation.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But biters are fun. :smith:

Assuming you can spam enough turrets.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I did my "No Lasers" run with my first runthrough, and then did Lazy Bastard with it.

It really did help with my design and building, but man it was tedious.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

There's only one way to play Lazy Bastard, imo

VVVVV I'm not 100% sure you can be a Lazy Spoon without :effort: and/or preplanning/savescumming a run. The first ~45 minutes of an LB run are pretty close to wasted time, though my Spoon run did clock in about 7:15 so it would be tight as hell (for me)

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 3, 2018

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Missing no spoon.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The three worst things about a LB run:
1) the starting section where you're trying, desperately, to get the resources together with your starting burning miner.furnace to get assemblers researched and built
2) the fact that unless you want to burn through spare crafts to make extra oil refineries, you're limited to one, maybe 2 refineries until you get level 3 assemblers to build them.
3)being paranoid a mis-click will send you back to the latest auto-save because you accidentally crafted a solar panel.

It's dull and tedious at the start, but boy-howdy does it do wonders for your base/blueprint building later when you do one.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Alkydere posted:

The three worst things about a LB run:
1) the starting section where you're trying, desperately, to get the resources together with your starting burning miner.furnace to get assemblers researched and built
2) the fact that unless you want to burn through spare crafts to make extra oil refineries, you're limited to one, maybe 2 refineries until you get level 3 assemblers to build them.
3)being paranoid a mis-click will send you back to the latest auto-save because you accidentally crafted a solar panel.

It's dull and tedious at the start, but boy-howdy does it do wonders for your base/blueprint building later when you do one.

You can disable hand crafting, I did and it saved me once or twice on the run.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

IncredibleIgloo posted:

You can disable hand crafting, I did and it saved me once or twice on the run.

Ditto, it saved my bacon when i got distracted. I think it’s ~ to open the console, then /permissions, then you go and uncheck crafting for your character.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

You can also rebind the key from left-click to something you can't click.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

also remember you can craft something like 5 extra items by hand (look this up) so you can totally help yourself by crafting an extra refinery or brick oven or whatever.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

The Correct Way To Play, lazy bastard or otherwise.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Evilreaver posted:

There's only one way to play Lazy Bastard, imo

VVVVV I'm not 100% sure you can be a Lazy Spoon without :effort: and/or preplanning/savescumming a run. The first ~45 minutes of an LB run are pretty close to wasted time, though my Spoon run did clock in about 7:15 so it would be tight as hell (for me)

I see you still use the basic smelters - is there a reason for using them over the more advanced ones, or is it just lazyness and not wanting to craft the better ones?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ymgve posted:

I see you still use the basic smelters - is there a reason for using them over the more advanced ones, or is it just lazyness and not wanting to craft the better ones?

I don't see any basic smelters in that screenshot, I pretty much exclusively use Steel smelters, not upgrading to electric mostly due to utter laziness. I'm honestly surprised I don't have burner miners on my toolbelt in that shot.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Oh nevermind, guess I'm blind and thought those were the basic ones.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I swap to electric smelters asap because gently caress delivering fuel to all my furnaces.

Which instantly reveals my coal powered electricity grid is way overloaded and triggers a flurry of building boilers and steam generators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Boilers and steam generators? Nah.

I'll leave up steel smelters until after I get nuclear power. Once the nuke plant comes online, then it is time for a refit and expansion of the smelting lines with electric.