Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Ether Frenzy posted:

Every 45 year old mexican gardener/maintenance/valet guy in LA owns one of those angular toyota vans so they're not that rare.

In four wheel drive trim? Those are the presumed rare ones, I haven't actually seen a Toyota Van™ out in the wild in a long, long time and never in Florida though so they are all super rare to me. I know they tend to run forever.

Kenshin posted:

I just traded in my getting-to-be-junky, Black 1999 BMW M3 Convertible in for 3 year lease on a brand-loving new "Micro Blue" 2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD, fully loaded.

There is nothing 'Micro' about that blue imho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Are we posting our micro cars?

Oh wait, this thing is almost 7 feet tall :v:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Kenshin posted:

I just traded in my getting-to-be-junky, Black 1999 BMW M3 Convertible in for 3 year lease on a brand-loving new "Micro Blue" 2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD, fully loaded.

It's pretty. And fast. Gonna have to get used to how much faster this is than my M3.

Paddle-shifters are very cool. As are heated and cooled seats. It's a warm sunny day in Seattle so I used the cooled seats and ahhhhhhhh

The last thing the salesperson showed me how to do before I drove off was how to do the unofficial Launch Control. I haven't tried it yet.

What's the payment?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

KakerMix posted:

In four wheel drive trim? Those are the presumed rare ones, I haven't actually seen a Toyota Van™ out in the wild in a long, long time and never in Florida though so they are all super rare to me. I know they tend to run forever.

One showed up to a combination drag race and car show. One of the conditions of entering the car show was making a pass. He obliged. It was like a 19 second pass, but he had it flat out the whole time. :kimchi:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Congrats! More goons in Stingers!

KakerMix posted:

I'm not sure why they called it that. The red is HiChroma red, and there's a Deep Chroma blue which isn't available in America yet.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Elmnt80 posted:

One showed up to a combination drag race and car show. One of the conditions of entering the car show was making a pass. He obliged. It was like a 19 second pass, but he had it flat out the whole time. :kimchi:

Never not rev the piss out of a Y, it's the only way you'll ever actually get anywhere with one.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Going to pick it up Saturday. My dad and I always wanted an older project car. It's got a few things that need done (brakes, suspension, wiring, interior), but it's in excellent shape.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 1, 2018

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

EvilBeard posted:

Going to pick it up Saturday. My dad and I always wanted an older project car. It's got a few things that need done (brakes, suspension, wiring, interior), but it's on excellent shape.

It’s going to have a thread, right?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Ether Frenzy posted:

Every 45 year old mexican gardener/maintenance/valet guy in LA owns one of those angular toyota vans so they're not that rare.

I rather doubt that they are 4x4 with Skyroof, swivel bench, and refrigerator, though.

Edit: f, b.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

EvilBeard posted:

Going to pick it up Saturday. My dad and I always wanted an older project car. It's got a few things that need done (brakes, suspension, wiring, interior), but it's in excellent shape.

I will approve this only if you remove and crush the crappy wire wheel covers, and put some decent wheels on it. God drat I hate old people putting wire wheel covers on hot rods. Or anything, really. They don’t look like wire wheels. They’ve never looked like wire wheels.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

It’s going to have a thread, right?

Probably, but we need to get rid of a 4 door 56 Chevy to free up the space to work on it first. Either that, or it's garage addition time.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I'm still in the stage of ownership where I constantly take pictures of it. It'll pass I'm sure.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

opengl128 posted:

I'm still in the stage of ownership where I constantly take pictures of it. It'll pass I'm sure.

That color is sick. Awesome.

KakerMix posted:

I know, right? It's absolutely beautiful in the sunshine. I'm very pleased with the blue, though I will admit I might have gotten the yellow if the GT2 came in it.

davebo posted:

Congrats! More goons in Stingers!
Yes! I love it.

I drove Seattle->Portland->Seattle today for a total of around 380 miles. It's really comfortable, though not in a way that makes it feel disconnected from the road. The sound system is very good, and holy poo poo the driver aid and safety electronic gadgets in this GT2 version make long drives feel both safer and like much less effort. >6 hours of driving today and I don't feel exhausted like when I did it in my M3.

For those interested in fuel "economy" (this is not a car you would buy if you care about that, but hey):
Seattle->Portland, Comfort mode, using adaptive cruise control the entire way (traffic speeds were mostly 75-80mph with a few minor slowdowns):
24mpg

Portland->Seattle, Eco mode, adaptive cruise control (65-75mph except for ~10 minutes of <10mph traffic jam near Tacoma):
25.8mpg

Not bad at all, right around what Kia claims.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Darchangel posted:

I rather doubt that they are 4x4 with Skyroof, swivel bench, and refrigerator, though.

Edit: f, b.

No idea. They have like 4" ground clearance and 14" wheels so I don't know that there's a huge scene for offroading in them, AWD or not, but the model itself is relatively plentiful in the SoCal area. Presumably they all have 600k miles on them because as mentioned, they run forever. I wonder if they've been brought up from Mexico because I sure don't remember seeing them in the midwest back when I was a kid and they'd have been new.

(how on earth does a swivel bench work? Now I'm intrigued)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

opengl128 posted:

Prob not. You’ll know the honeymoon is over when you start getting improved MPG on a tank of fuel.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Kenshin posted:

For those interested in fuel "economy" (this is not a car you would buy if you care about that, but hey):
Seattle->Portland, Comfort mode, using adaptive cruise control the entire way (traffic speeds were mostly 75-80mph with a few minor slowdowns):
24mpg

Portland->Seattle, Eco mode, adaptive cruise control (65-75mph except for ~10 minutes of <10mph traffic jam near Tacoma):
25.8mpg

Not bad at all, right around what Kia claims.

Yeah but is that what the trip computer told you or is that your own math after filling up? I've found not just in my Optima but any car I've driven that had an estimated mpg was anywhere from 1.5-3mpg off per tank. Even after three weeks I've still only got ~150 miles on the Stinger so I'm nowhere close to bothering to test it. Some guys on the forums that have over 1500 on theirs say it is getting to be a little better after the break-in period.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ether Frenzy posted:

No idea. They have like 4" ground clearance and 14" wheels so I don't know that there's a huge scene for offroading in them, AWD or not, but the model itself is relatively plentiful in the SoCal area. Presumably they all have 600k miles on them because as mentioned, they run forever. I wonder if they've been brought up from Mexico because I sure don't remember seeing them in the midwest back when I was a kid and they'd have been new.

This one doesn't have 4" of clearance, still has 14" wheels though, but also front locking hubs and a low range 4wd. :toot:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

davebo posted:

Yeah but is that what the trip computer told you or is that your own math after filling up? I've found not just in my Optima but any car I've driven that had an estimated mpg was anywhere from 1.5-3mpg off per tank. Even after three weeks I've still only got ~150 miles on the Stinger so I'm nowhere close to bothering to test it. Some guys on the forums that have over 1500 on theirs say it is getting to be a little better after the break-in period.
Oh, just the trip computer. Fair enough on the estimated.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

davebo posted:

Anecdote isn't data, but the trip computer on my '13 CRV has been impressively accurate. On any given tank it's rare for the error to exceed 0.5mpg compared to what Fuelly calculates. Which, given the variance in the temperature of pump fuel and where any given pump likes to shut off (I don't sit there and top it off because gently caress that poo poo) is probably accurate enough anyway.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

opengl128 posted:

I have a 15 year old car that I've owned for a year now and no it won't pass.

Beautiful car!

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

KakerMix posted:

This one doesn't have 4" of clearance, still has 14" wheels though, but also front locking hubs and a low range 4wd. :toot:

So its like a hotel, and it has its own icemaker?

*edit. Crap, I was half-joking. That's a real icemaker!?

Dennis McClaren fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 2, 2018

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
I love seeing so many Stingers getting posted in this thread. Driving the 2.0L later this month, finally.

Did any of you pick the RWD version?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Prob not. You’ll know the honeymoon is over when you start getting improved MPG on a tank of fuel.

That'd be nice, my average right now is 18.5MPG. The glorious noise it makes winding it out over 7K RPM doesn't help.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

drgitlin posted:

I love seeing so many Stingers getting posted in this thread. Driving the 2.0L later this month, finally.

Did any of you pick the RWD version?

Yeah mine is a RWD GT. Kenshin's is an AWD GT2.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

davebo posted:

Yeah mine is a RWD GT. Kenshin's is an AWD GT2.

Yeah. I was not entirely sure if I should go RWD or AWD. I came from a RWD with LSD (E36 M3) but I also live up here in the PNW and go camping and skiing, and it isn't like I'm going to take this on the track, so AWD made sense.

TBH I doubt it'll make much of a difference unless you really want to powerslide or do burnouts

I did get the optional plastic trunk tray installed and highly recommend it. It's also just slip-in, slip-out for easy cleaning or storage.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 2, 2018

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

opengl128 posted:

That'd be nice, my average right now is 18.5MPG. The glorious noise it makes winding it out over 7K RPM doesn't help.

:same: but turnt up to 8K

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Kenshin posted:

TBH I doubt it'll make much of a difference unless you really want to powerslide or do burnouts

I did get the optional plastic trunk tray installed and highly recommend it. It's also just slip-in, slip-out for easy cleaning or storage.

I'm not planning on doing much drifting on public roads but since I've got the staggered wheels (did you get 19's or the speed-limited 18s? And if so did the salesman even know about the speed limit?) I imagine I'll burn through tires quicker than my Optima, so when tires get to be end-of-tread I fully intend on some powerslides if I can find a secluded spot.

I carry a variety of recreational and work related gear so I've always got a bunch of towels in the trunk since sometimes it needs to be covered, sometimes things need to be wrapped, so I'm okay with the carpeted trunk and I ditched the parcel shelf immediately.

Edit: look like 19's in the photo

davebo fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 2, 2018

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

davebo posted:

I'm not planning on doing much drifting on public roads but since I've got the staggered wheels (did you get 19's or the speed-limited 18s? And if so did the salesman even know about the speed limit?)
Never came up because I already knew about the limit if you got the 18s and the two blue AWD GT2 cars they had already had the 19s on.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

So I bought a large pile of moss and dirt with some metal and plastic underneath:

I was talking to my dad about a couple of old Citroens I'd been looking at lately, and he mentioned that there happened to be one that's been mouldering away to the side of a neighbour's house in his village for years. Out of curiosity I went to take a look, and underneath all the shrubbery the metal was in surprisingly good shape, the interior looked like it had just come from the factory and the engine wasn't seized. I chatted up the elderly owner for a while, who revealed that he had originally bought it from a coworker for his wife to use, except she hated the lack of power steering and he ended up using it himself until he bought a more modern daily in 2011, and it has sat unused ever since, though occasionally he fires it up to move it around the property. I offered him just over scrap value for it, which he accepted. It's a Citroen BX 14 "St. Tropez Special Edition" which to my understanding just means that it has a sunroof, an all-white exterior including the wheels, and some decals and pinstripes. The only unknowns are the hydropneumatic suspension, which I can't test until I can get the car running, and the bodywork on the side that's up against the wall, but if it all ends up being garbage I'm barely out any money so what the hell. I'm really looking forward to blasting all the crap off it and putting it back on the road!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Grakkus posted:

So I bought a large pile of moss and dirt with some metal and plastic underneath:

I was talking to my dad about a couple of old Citroens I'd been looking at lately, and he mentioned that there happened to be one that's been mouldering away to the side of a neighbour's house in his village for years. Out of curiosity I went to take a look, and underneath all the shrubbery the metal was in surprisingly good shape, the interior looked like it had just come from the factory and the engine wasn't seized. I chatted up the elderly owner for a while, who revealed that he had originally bought it from a coworker for his wife to use, except she hated the lack of power steering and he ended up using it himself until he bought a more modern daily in 2011, and it has sat unused ever since, though occasionally he fires it up to move it around the property. I offered him just over scrap value for it, which he accepted. It's a Citroen BX 14 "St. Tropez Special Edition" which to my understanding just means that it has a sunroof, an all-white exterior including the wheels, and some decals and pinstripes. The only unknowns are the hydropneumatic suspension, which I can't test until I can get the car running, and the bodywork on the side that's up against the wall, but if it all ends up being garbage I'm barely out any money so what the hell. I'm really looking forward to blasting all the crap off it and putting it back on the road!

I'm a simple guy so the fact that the emblem is off-center like that pretty much forgives whatever other problems it has. Looks great!

My driveway is rad as heck right now

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Grakkus posted:

I've always wondered how you get this mossy crap off of cars. It's so dry here that it never happens, but out west on the island it seems like most abandoned cars are strangled with it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Grakkus posted:

You're leaving the mould on it, right?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You're leaving the mould on it, right?

Clearcoat the moss.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Grakkus posted:

This is so awesome. The BX is one of my favourite modern classics. My parents had a 1.4 RE, the speedo was broken, and it had no rev counter, but the (also broken) glovebox rattled at 85 mph.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Hah, "British Countryside patina", I like it!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I've always wondered how you get this mossy crap off of cars. It's so dry here that it never happens, but out west on the island it seems like most abandoned cars are strangled with it.

I've helped my dad clear small amounts off his cars in the past, but never tackled quite such an overgrown one. I'm using this as inspiration, though - basically apc with an extra soft brush, and a plastic scraper for the bigger parts, followed by paint correction.

KakerMix posted:

I'm a simple guy so the fact that the emblem is off-center like that pretty much forgives whatever other problems it has. Looks great!

Yeah, you seem to love quirky stuff on cars, as do I - and Citroen is quirkiness incarnate when it comes to European cars. Outside of the weird styling the hydropneumatic suspension is the other big selling point - it's crazy compliant, self-leveling, allows you to drive with only 3 wheels on the car or with a flat, and you don't need a jack to change a wheel :)

Also, check out this amazing promotional material I found for the St. Tropez edition:

stump posted:

This is so awesome. The BX is one of my favourite modern classics. My parents had a 1.4 RE, the speedo was broken, and it had no rev counter, but the (also broken) glovebox rattled at 85 mph.

Speedos are for chumps, real men navigate by trim rattle!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Grakkus posted:

Speedos are for chumps, real men navigate by trim rattle!

If you don't have trim to rattle, a grumbling wheel bearing can be substituted.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Grakkus posted:

I love everything about this. I really want to see before-and-after pictures when you wash the crap off of it, white cars get utterly transformed by a good powerwasher.

Grakkus posted:

Also, check out this amazing promotional material I found for the St. Tropez edition:

Amazing. Just fantastic. I am now very jealous of your find.

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe

Grakkus posted:

Awesome. There used to be a 16v one getting around here in flat black that looked, uh, interesting.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ether Frenzy posted:

edit: poo poo, beaten by the man himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Darchangel posted:

edit: poo poo, beaten by the man himself.

Cars were better when they were death traps.