Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Garrand posted:

In universe the 47 stands for the fact the he's the 47th clone. Also I guess not technically a clone since he's made up of the DNA of 5 different people and isn't actually genetically identical to any of them but I don't know how you'd define that.

Genetic Chimera?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Kwisatz Haderach?

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Is it not aging well if it's dealing with an issue that's gotten better since? In the 80s, before blood donations were screened for HIV, kids getting infected with the virus was a serious issue. Because the virus was so poorly understood the kids often ended up being treated like lepers, so a lot of family sitcoms back then had special episodes about treating these kids like human beings and not pariahs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo1kNGGEle0&t=32s

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Is it not aging well if it's dealing with an issue that's gotten better since? In the 80s, before blood donations were screened for HIV, kids getting infected with the virus was a serious issue. Because the virus was so poorly understood the kids often ended up being treated like lepers, so a lot of family sitcoms back then had special episodes about treating these kids like human beings and not pariahs.

For me it's that they took a pretty weird approach, especially in making one of the main characters on the show be an absolute dickhead to him about it. I guess they figured that was alright since he's a kid and learned A Valuable Lesson ™ . I dunno, I realize it's a sitcom, but making jokes about a kid having such a serious disease just seems wildly tasteless, which is made worse by the fact that Mr.Belvedere isn't really a show that ever tried to push boundaries. I guess they didn't have any adults mock him for it, but having the kids do it, even in a "they don't know any better" context seems hosed up. Especially since that was still during a time where having AIDS was very much a death sentence unless you had money.

And the other joke I mentioned in my first post about it some :stare: poo poo

El Gallinero Gros has a new favorite as of 19:17 on Apr 2, 2018

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Leavemywife posted:

Really? I just figured it was a nod to the AK-47, being a little in-joke about an assassin.

I think it was back in the first game I'm pretty sure but they've probably retconned it since then.

I also might be misremembering.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BioEnchanted posted:

Genetic Chimera?

Serpentor?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

Serpentor?

BY MY COMMAND

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
ThunderCats

It was my favorite show as a kid. I watched every episode when I was in 3rd and 4th grade. It was the epitome of television. I worshiped it.

Then, when I was in college, they started playing re-runs on cable. Apparently I blocked out how terrible it was. Ro Bear Berbils, Berbil berries, Snarf. All of those were not in my memory.

I was crushed. In my mind, the show was like watching the most bad-rear end action adventure drama show ever made. I learned, as an adult, why my parents called it trash. I died a little inside.

Now I tell my own kids that they're watching trash, even though I know that, to them, the shows they watch are awesome. For a while they were obsessed with Digimon. I can't handle it, but I let them watch it. It's stupid, but harmless. It's better than them watching Pewdiepie.

My parents made me sit through things like "Jean de Florette" and "My life as a dog" when I was a kid. I won't subject them to that.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
How embarrassing for you. Like most people here, I was born with good taste and a critical eye and never did anything like tape the entire run of the Super Mario Bros. 3 cartoon or rent Rover Dangerfield multiple times.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I used to really like The Critic, but trying to rewatch the first episode or so and they introduce the ex-wife it felt so hateful towards her that I felt sort of uneasy watching the rest of the show. I get that's the joke they're going for, but they just seem to paint her with a brush that makes her come off like a horrible, miserable person.

I don't seem to recall Aunt Bernice from Duckman, who was ALMOST a similar character having the same effect on me, though. Maybe its because she's being like that she's also showcasing a lot of other positive characteristics, too, like being a good parental figure for the kids, actually being a bit sensitive at times to stuff Duckman was dealing with, being a voice of reason, being extremely active in various things, etc.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

mostlygray posted:

ThunderCats

Same for me, but with Transformers

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's funny that there's still Transformers fans who insist the first series was the best.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Inescapable Duck posted:

It's funny that there's still Transformers fans who insist the first series was the best.

Megatron was at his best when his alt form was a pistol that someone else had to fire

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Same for me, but with Transformers

The original Transformers cartoon wasn't that bad, it had its share of episodes that hasn't aged well, but it had a run of 98 episodes according to Wikipedia (Did... did kids cartoon from the 80's get that many episodes normally?). There are better Transformer cartoons since then, but there are definitely worse as well.

Speaking of hasn't aged well, the Transformers Energon/Cybertron cartoons. Were poor for their time, and have aged like hot garbage. They tried for "traditional" animation on everything except for the Transformers, who were done in CGI instead. It just looks wrong and doesn't fit at all with the rest of the show. Also the plot was a bit of a mess (What do you expect when they take three separate series and try to force the three plots together?).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Randalor posted:

The original Transformers cartoon wasn't that bad, it had its share of episodes that hasn't aged well, but it had a run of 98 episodes according to Wikipedia (Did... did kids cartoon from the 80's get that many episodes normally?). There are better Transformer cartoons since then, but there are definitely worse as well.

I understand that 65 was the standard for syndication in the 80s.

The original Ducktales had 100 episodes but I think it was a bit of an outlier.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Transformers The Movie holds up very well at least. I suspect it's because they kill nearly all the original transformers in the first 10 minutes to sell all new toys.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And it had a huge animation budget bump. I find the original show near unwatchable mostly for the poor animation and grating voices, they really hadn't figured out a sweet spot with the traditional digitised voices for the Transformers.

Energon is widely agreed to be hot garbage and Armada and Cybertron weren't much better. (And Cybertron wasn't even meant to be part of that series, and it shows in the dub) Animated was actually pretty good before it had to be wrapped up early.

Beast Wars seems widely considered to have aged relatively well. It's a bit like Reboot in one of the early CGI shows that worked around the limitations of the medium to good effect: The expense of creating assets compared to animating them means you have a small, expressive cast, so work with them and have ongoing interpersonal drama and character development rather than disposable one-off characters all the time. I've mentioned this often becomes a problem with CGI shows and a bit of a trap; it really shows in the early seasons of the last TMNT show and Sonic Boom. Tellingly, Transformers Prime, a well-received recent CGI show, borrowed the most from Beast Wars tone-wise.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

On a different note; the South Park episode Jared Has Aides has aged poorly in a somewhat unexpected way.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Inescapable Duck posted:

Beast Wars seems widely considered to have aged relatively well. It's a bit like Reboot in one of the early CGI shows that worked around the limitations of the medium to good effect: The expense of creating assets compared to animating them means you have a small, expressive cast, so work with them and have ongoing interpersonal drama and character development rather than disposable one-off characters all the time. I've mentioned this often becomes a problem with CGI shows and a bit of a trap; it really shows in the early seasons of the last TMNT show and Sonic Boom. Tellingly, Transformers Prime, a well-received recent CGI show, borrowed the most from Beast Wars tone-wise.

Having watched Beast Wars not all that long ago, I can confirm that not only has it aged super well but it may also have some of the best writing in all of Transformers canon. Beast Machines is really good as well and looks even better.

Also, I believe the team that worked on Reboot animated Beast Wars, so they did good work all around.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Takoluka posted:

Having watched Beast Wars not all that long ago, I can confirm that not only has it aged super well but it may also have some of the best writing in all of Transformers canon. Beast Machines is really good as well and looks even better.

Also, I believe the team that worked on Reboot animated Beast Wars, so they did good work all around.

Beast Machines missed a bit of the whole "transformers" thing though. They were like knockoff transmorphers or something

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Garrand posted:

In universe the 47 stands for the fact the he's the 47th clone. Also I guess not technically a clone since he's made up of the DNA of 5 different people and isn't actually genetically identical to any of them but I don't know how you'd define that.
Depends, did he get the dominant genes or the inferior recessive ones?

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I didn't watch any Transformers until this year so I can confirm that Beast Wars is super good.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The only major flaw with Beast Wars is the occasional slapstick/"Saturday morning cartoon" moments (complete with silly sound effects that are horribly out of place). I think those tended to be more season 1 than later on though.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Randalor posted:

The only major flaw with Beast Wars is the occasional slapstick/"Saturday morning cartoon" moments (complete with silly sound effects that are horribly out of place). I think those tended to be more season 1 than later on though.

Any scene where Megatron is dressed like a judge in the white with is still great, because he's such an excellent villain.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I think the first game (or one of the early ones) has him hunt down his creator and the people he was cloned from and he pretty much has all of their best traits combined.

Takoluka posted:

Any scene where Megatron is dressed like a judge in the white with is still great, because he's such an excellent villain.

Megatron just works so loving well as a cartoon supervillain, it's great. Also, the rubber ducky. Which was his most loyal minion besides maybe the insane fire ant who calls him 'My Queen'.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Inescapable Duck posted:

On a different note; the South Park episode Jared Has Aides has aged poorly in a somewhat unexpected way.

A few years back they did an episode that poked fun at Jared being a pedophile.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Well he was certainly one of the terrible children.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Inescapable Duck posted:

It's funny that there's still Transformers fans who don't insist the first series was the best.

:colbert:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Inescapable Duck posted:

It's funny that there's still Transformers fans

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

FELD1 posted:

A few years back they did an episode that poked fun at Jared being a pedophile.

In the latest South Park game, he's a boss fight. Who basically jerks off all over your party, who are a bunch of children.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

You have made a powerless enemy today, sir.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Sunswipe posted:

You have made a powerless enemy today, sir.

Yeah yeah, take a number, robot toucher

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

DACK FAYDEN posted:

BROTHER!!!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Well he was certainly one of the terrible children.
Solid and Liquid were created by the barely-explained "Super Baby Method", which involves letting a fertilized egg divide into eight, then killing six of the eight to... make the other two more super. Maybe to get extra copies of the dominant and recessive genes or something. Who knows? Maybe the exact same thing happened to 47.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Inescapable Duck posted:

They repeated that episode on the UK version of Comedy Central after he was sent to jail. Admittedly, he's not famous over here, but c'mon, take it off international rotation.

I wonder whether the Mohammed episode controversy will look quaint one day.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I like how they sometimes forget that they had Mohammed in the Super Best Friends episode, too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Solid and Liquid were created by the barely-explained "Super Baby Method", which involves letting a fertilized egg divide into eight, then killing six of the eight to... make the other two more super. Maybe to get extra copies of the dominant and recessive genes or something. Who knows? Maybe the exact same thing happened to 47.

Don't forget Solidus!

There's a few MGS references in the series, one mission has 47 sent to sabotage the development of a FOXDIE-style artificial targeted virus, because aside from the terror it could inflict on the world, it'd put him out of a job.

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017

El Gallinero Gros posted:

For me it's that they took a pretty weird approach, especially in making one of the main characters on the show be an absolute dickhead to him about it. I guess they figured that was alright since he's a kid and learned A Valuable Lesson ™ . I dunno, I realize it's a sitcom, but making jokes about a kid having such a serious disease just seems wildly tasteless, which is made worse by the fact that Mr.Belvedere isn't really a show that ever tried to push boundaries. I guess they didn't have any adults mock him for it, but having the kids do it, even in a "they don't know any better" context seems hosed up. Especially since that was still during a time where having AIDS was very much a death sentence unless you had money.

And the other joke I mentioned in my first post about it some :stare: poo poo

Speaking of Mr. Belvedere, this sketch has aged so well that I almost can't believe it's pre-internet.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Iron Crowned posted:

Transformers The Movie holds up very well at least. I suspect it's because they kill nearly all the original transformers in the first 10 minutes to sell all new toys.

And more importantly, they left them dead. Amongst many other reasons, Revenge of the Fallen sucked because they couldn't resist resurrecting Optimus Prime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Iron Crowned posted:

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/To_sell_toys