Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.

:golfclap:

You've over-rated your bolt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

...is that a foil-wrapped cheese packet?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

...is that a foil-wrapped cheese packet?

Yeah. If I had one here I'd go test it with a multimeter to see what the resistance is, but every time they get into the house I eat them.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
Adding to the shock therapy:
I had a 74 Ramcharger when I was young. Messing with the timing. It was lifted so that you had to work from a step ladder. Not exactly sure what the path was but I had one hand on the distributor and a Metal Sears timing light in the other hand. Took a hit from the distributor and found myself flat on my back in the driveway.

Took an ROP tune Up course in High School. Night classes behind the carwash in a local auto mall. Again a metal sears timing light. This one had no rubber boot on the little alligator clip that you attach to the battery voltage terminal on the ignition coil. Datsun 210, messing with the bare alligator clip on the coil gave me a hell of a pulsing shock to where my hair was sticking up after the jolt.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you guys should get things with smaller engines. when i'm working on my CL350 i check for spark by grabbing the plug boot with one hand and kicking the engine over

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

METAL AS gently caress

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah. If I had one here I'd go test it with a multimeter to see what the resistance is, but every time they get into the house I eat them.

Don't eat fuses. :colbert:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Yeah, laughing cow isn't even that good.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Looks like the flyin miata clutch.

I was just talking to a friend that has a 700hp chevy SS that runs 11's about scatter shields.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
That's that Rotary Mazda that decided to rev unloaded and threw the clutch/flywheel. There's a video on YouTube.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It's an Exedy pressure plate

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

BloodBag posted:

Looks like the flyin miata clutch.

I was just talking to a friend that has a 700hp chevy SS that runs 11's about scatter shields.

That seems incredibly slow for 700hp.

Edit: yeah that would be a mechanical failure of its own if true. Guys with a hair under 500 at the wheels are going 11.3x

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 2, 2018

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

He's having a lot of problems hooking off the line and he thinks his transmission is slipping. Last run I saw was 11.1 from him. He did the Texas mile and got it to 191. I guess the street tire only rule for that was getting him. But I agree, for how much he's done to this car, you'd think with drag slicks and skinnies it'd break into the 10's. I saw a recent run he did and he's coming off idle at the tree. I asked him why he doesn't have a trans brake or something. He's under the impression that with a supercharger, it's better to be off idle? I think there's a lack of knowledge of what the hell he's even doing at this point.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Yeah, he should be launching off the TC no matter what to get a decent time. Left foot brake, gas till it's just about to start rolling tires (stock TC?), launch should be a roll in if traction is bad or mat it if he can hook.

Then you start finding driveline weak points :v: Only time I've ever launched off idle is if I knew I was gonna blow a part up or I was testing something else.

Edit: for comparison, my old TA was also supercharged, 585 on pump gas, and 6 speed. That was a 10.8 car when I could hook. My friends car, same mods and year, but auto with a 3800 stall was running 10.1.

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 2, 2018

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Related, and thread-appropriate: The new BMW M5 is AWD, and equipped exclusively with a torque converter automatic, because I guess that sweet, sweet 0-60 time is the only thing that BMW thinks sells M cars, I guess?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Heard a noise, did you? A bit of squealing, perhaps? Let's take a loo-:catstare:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Awful app fuckery, nothing to see here...

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

MrYenko posted:

Related, and thread-appropriate: The new BMW M5 is AWD, and equipped exclusively with a torque converter automatic, because I guess that sweet, sweet 0-60 time is the only thing that BMW thinks sells M cars, I guess?

idk it appears to drift well enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obkLDeO58Wo

its probably fun to drive, even with an automatic

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Beach Bum posted:

Heard a noise, did you? A bit of squealing, perhaps? Let's take a loo-:catstare:

I saw so many melted idler/tensioner pullies working at the car parts store. It's always impressive.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

idk it appears to drift well enough
The best part about that video is that Guinness' rules did allow them pauses to refuel, but that wasn't German enough for BMW.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Visited the local supermarket to try and find some bargain eater eggs (failed)

Saw a 5 Series jacked up just like this in the car park

Except with no jack stand
On the apex of the entrance where it was likely to get clipped
With a pair of legs sticking out from under the sill

And the bonus was his girlfriend sitting on the passenger seat, playing with her phone, while he worked underneath her.
I did a genuine double-take.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
Someone waiting to be crushed by evolutionary pressure.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ionn posted:

Someone waiting to be crushed by evolutionary pressure.

An extremely specific fetish.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Midjack posted:

Full parking lot, everything about it.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Midjack posted:

The ultimate cuck video.

Carstuckgirls meets bangbros.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Crap.

poo poo.

Hallelujah!

Fuuuuudge.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
a roller coaster of automotive emotions

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
What the gently caress was that from? Something fairly large from those tires

Also, was that a hot glue gun used in fixing a car? Cause that would be a first for me. Other than maybe someone bedazzling their dashboard.

DiggityDoink fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Apr 4, 2018

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

DiggityDoink posted:

What the gently caress was that from? Something fairly large from those tires

Also, was that a hot glue gun used in fixing a car? Cause that would be a first for me. Other than maybe someone bedazzling their dashboard.

I'm gonna guess due to the broken spark plug that it's a Ford 4.6, 5.4, or 6.8L 3 valve.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

BloodBag posted:

I'm gonna guess due to the broken spark plug that it's a Ford 4.6, 5.4, or 6.8L 3 valve.

Doesn't look like one

It looks like an OHV engine with an iron head, gotta be something old.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

BloodBag posted:

Close, a 7.5L 2 valve that spent it's first 15+ years in the salty winters of western North Carolina.

Now what? Grind out the easy out? Weld a nut or bolt onto it? Thermite?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Still a better love story than Twilight.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Someone more talented than myself needs to spin those photos into loss.jpg

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
nah the sooner we forget that meme the better

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Easier to work on from the other side of the head? Just pull the whole dang thing off. I think whatever you do now is going to end in tears and a cylinder full of shavings anyway.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

BraveUlysses posted:

nah the sooner we forget that meme the better

Every 2x2 4 panel comic is a loss edit, just accept it already.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Every 2x2 4 panel comic is a loss edit, just accept it already.

Comic?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

:aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

joat mon posted:

Close, a 7.5L 2 valve that spent it's first 15+ years in the salty winters of western North Carolina.

Now what? Grind out the easy out? Weld a nut or bolt onto it? Thermite?

And apparently never had the plugs changed, ever, either.
This is why I use anti seize, always, especially in aluminum, and I'm not even in the rust belt. I don't give a drat what the pundits say - they don't have to extract that fucker.

I'd see if you can get a nut welded to the remains of the ez-out.