Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Maybe not enough of those players exist to build a championship contender around Russ, but thus far it doesn't seem like OKC has bothered to try to identify and acquire them.

? They may not have been fully successful additions so far but they fuckin traded for Paul George and Carmelo Anthony to give Russ some (ostensibly, in Melo's case) elite perimeter options just this last offseason. They got Oladipo for similar reasons the season before. I don't know how you could possibly say they haven't bothered to try to identify and acquire the right sort of players for Russ to play with

OKC and Russ deserve criticism for plenty of things but lack of effort is not one of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Russ sucks rear end but this opinion is influenced by my friend who picked up OKC as his team this year and will not shut up about how good Russ is

like there are other things to like in the league

russ definitely should not have won MVP last year notice how he's having a similar season and not a peep; everybody knew what they were doing last year

Carlosologist fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 3, 2018

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Zogo posted:

It seems improbable that he'll reach those heights although he's still only 21.
I think Booker is already better than Klay on the offensive side of the ball. They're playing very different games, where Klay gets to knock down open looks as a shooter on Golden State, while Booker is creating all the scoring for a putrid Suns team; 83.7% of Klay's shots are assisted, versus only 42.6% of Booker's. So, obviously, Booker's efficiency comes out worse, but he's already scored more ppg (and more pp100p) than Klay ever has. I also believe Booker's shooting ability is as good as Klay's, though it's hard to say for sure. But Booker has an .849 career ft% versus Klay's .851 which is basically the same (and Booker reached .878 this season). So, basically, I believe Booker can shoot like Klay but is a much more dynamic offensive threat.

Might I remind you that this thread is a Devin Booker loving zone so tread lightly in your responses.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Cool Buff Man posted:

First part is fair enough but what's wrong with liking dunks

Because one guy says that he thinks Westbrook is a problem in OKC and he gets a bunch of replies talking about dunks like it's somehow a valid argument. It happens constantly.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
There's nothing more important than shot creation and Russ is a one of the best shot creators in the league so you could in fact probably build a title team around him. No one here thought George and Melo being added to this team made them an instant title contender when it happened so caretrolling when they are in fact not a title contender and blaming it on Westbrook is a bit disingenuous.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Doltos posted:

Because one guy says that he thinks Westbrook is a problem in OKC and he gets a bunch of replies talking about dunks like it's somehow a valid argument. It happens constantly.

Ok phew just as long as you like dunks

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fast Luck posted:

I think Booker is already better than Klay on the offensive side of the ball. They're playing very different games, where Klay gets to knock down open looks as a shooter on Golden State, while Booker is creating all the scoring for a putrid Suns team; 83.7% of Klay's shots are assisted, versus only 42.6% of Booker's. So, obviously, Booker's efficiency comes out worse, but he's already scored more ppg (and more pp100p) than Klay ever has. I also believe Booker's shooting ability is as good as Klay's, though it's hard to say for sure. But Booker has an .849 career ft% versus Klay's .851 which is basically the same (and Booker reached .878 this season). So, basically, I believe Booker can shoot like Klay but is a much more dynamic offensive threat.

Might I remind you that this thread is a Devin Booker loving zone so tread lightly in your responses.

Maybe. Def think you are right wrt more and different types of shots created.

Too bad about his defense. Rip.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cool Buff Man posted:

First part is fair enough but what's wrong with liking dunks

https://twitter.com/dril/status/975401318050418689

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/981207109592285184?s=19

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I think Russ could be the best player on a championship team, but he's the kind of superstar that creates a tricky team building challenge.

There are occasionally great players who have unusual combinations of elite skills, ones that don't normally coincide. Dirk was like that too. The result is that, to maximize their talent, you have to hunt down other players with weird combinations of strengths. And they're hard to find, because those players have trouble sticking with more conventional rosters and/or don't get many opportunities to demonstrate their oddball mix of abilities.

Maybe not enough of those players exist to build a championship contender around Russ, but thus far it doesn't seem like OKC has bothered to try to identify and acquire them.

This just sounds like mental gymnastics to justify... I don't know, I'm not even sure what? They've consistently put REALLY good players around him, including finding absolute gems like Adams and Ibaka. And he's been on a bunch of really successful teams, so it's not like he's lacking career success.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

i dont even know what unusual combination of unique skills russ has that make him a tough fit. i dont know what mistakes the thunder supposedly previously made. and i dont know how a player who perfectly fits on every contender ever in the history of the nba is an example of this. mostly cause that guy just says a thing exists, doesnt define it and then starts channeling espn draft coverage

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/DanLifshatz/status/981192618049720321

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Losing Roberson is a bigger loss than everyone who has besmirched him in the past wants to admit and this team was playing a championship caliber level before he got hurt

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Doltos posted:

Because he's a turnover machine and clanks deep 3's in tight situations pretty much every time they're trailing. He also puts himself completely out of position going for inane rebounds and plays no defense.

But hurf durf he dunks hard im such a manly man look how much i love dunks

sorry about high school

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Rick posted:

Lmao is this what people are saying? If he's not picking the phone up after 5:30 it's because he's at a game in Lebanon or something. Which is why I don't think you have to worry about the draft part of it all.

If he nails their draft pick it'll already be an improvement on Cho's run, it just sucks being someone's retirement gig. At his age and his stature I can't see him going for the long-haul demolition they probably need

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Metapod posted:

Losing Roberson is a bigger loss than everyone who has besmirched him in the past wants to admit and this team was playing a championship caliber level before he got hurt
yeah Roberson is a good fit with Russ because Russ is so ball dominant anyway that an all-defense stud like Roberson can be hidden a little on offense, doubly so when you got Paul George out there also. And Steve Adams is going to be my vote for most underrated player in the NBA in the next Zogo poll. Carmelo sucks though and Roberson is hurt which is bad for OKC!

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

russ was also on a team that was one win away from beating the greatest regular season team of all time, and hes already been to the finals? if your definition is has to actually win the finals then....theres only one good player every single year? and last year it was zaza pachulia

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

You could probably have put prime dirk on literally any team and they would have succeeded.

*bursts into thread because someone said "dirk"*

no you have to be very specific to accomodate prime Dirk, you need a guard in the classic Steve Nash/Devin Harris/Jason Terry/Jason Kidd/JJ Barea mold, a center at least as good as Shawn Bradley and a team pace somewhere between 2nd and 28th

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Saying Dirk is hard to build around might be subtly the dumbest take in SAS since "Lebron's never lifted"

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

this player is hard to build around, you need players with a very particular and unusual set of skills which I will now elaborate on whoops got to go

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Hm, Oklahoma City has had essentially the same set of problems for a decade and players routinely get better after they leave. Can't possibly be because of the only person directly involved in games who's been there the entire time, that doesn't make any sense.

Their problems are coaching, supporting players (including injuries) and the front office.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Really the actual problem with Russ is that OKC keeps doing the same thing in regards to building a team around him and expecting different results. It's like the Knicks chasing the Olympic Melo mirage all over.
Lol at everyone that bought into "Olympic Melo" this summer and forgot he was bad last Olympics.

Paul Zuvella posted:

You could probably have put prime dirk on literally any team and they would have succeeded.

Accurate. Imagine how many titles Dirk would have won if he had ever been paired with a superstar. (Nash was close but not there yet.) Dirk + 1 of KG/Shaq/Duncan would have won more titles together than any squad since the Russell Celtics.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Saying Dirk is hard to build around might be subtly the dumbest take in SAS since "Lebron's never lifted"
Dirk never gets the respect he deserves. The only reasons people think Kobe was better than him is Kobe played for the Lakers and generally played with better teammates.

Dutchy posted:

*bursts into thread because someone said "dirk"*

no you have to be very specific to accomodate prime Dirk, you need a guard in the classic Steve Nash/Devin Harris/Jason Terry/Jason Kidd/JJ Barea mold, a center at least as good as Shawn Bradley and a team pace somewhere between 2nd and 28th

My man.

Nerlens really should have taken that deal from Dallas this summer.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Mandrel posted:

sorry about high school

I was getting dunked on well into college and beyond too

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The great thing about the Noel situation is that it is almost certainly all his fault and not his agents, seeing as he fired his agent right before squatting down and demanding the max. His original agent was almost assuredly pushing for him to take the dallas deal.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Totally hosed that up, sorry, 100% deserved getting clowned on for it.

Don't half finish an idea and hit post without rereading it make sure you didn't say something terminally stupid because you're posting on lunch before going to a meeting.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 3, 2018

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

It makes me sad to see Nerlens flame out like this. I think he just doesn’t give a gently caress.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Doltos posted:

I was getting dunked on well into college and beyond too

Did you get dunked on with one of those little fisher price basketball goals?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

dokmo posted:

This is periodically brought up here but then posters remind the thread that Westbrook is a dunking death dealer and triple doubles trump efficiency so go home nerds.

He is also disabusing me one game at a time of the archaic notions of teamwork, open man advantage and the absurd notion that winning a child's game matters. There is order amidst chaos, its origin is inscrutable like the first verse of the bible, and that's what Russ brings

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
My Zen Westbrook take: Criticize him for playing a type of basketball that isn't super compatible with many good players, believe his talent is still enough to lead a contender if the right pieces are around him, cherish him for bringing a distinct style to a game in which aesthetic value can outweigh efficiency for the viewer

Basically: "He could improve his game, but who cares." Tear down the slavish dedication to wins and losses and learn to love each basketballer for who he is

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yad843o5

lol maybe this trade will work out for San Antonio the way the Dipo/Sabonis trade worked out for Indiana.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Ghost Dog posted:

russ was also on a team that was one win away from beating the greatest regular season team of all time, and hes already been to the finals? if your definition is has to actually win the finals then....theres only one good player every single year? and last year it was zaza pachulia

Lol end thread, ghost dog slam dunk, highlights at 11

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dirk should be easy to build a title around but then you had stretches of his career where dumbshits like Avery insist that be needed to bang more down low. Or that Antawn and Antoine should be his front court mates. Or that Finley needed his fair share of shots. Or Josh Howard was the team's real primary scorer

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 3, 2018

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

pubic works project posted:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yad843o5

lol maybe this trade will work out for San Antonio the way the Dipo/Sabonis trade worked out for Indiana.

This is a form of violence

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Kawaii, welcome to Cleveland

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Kawaii, welcome to Cleveland

Kevin Love and the Brooklyn pick, who says no?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I dont want to trade for Kawhi until I see him play a few games of basketball first

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I dont want to trade for Kawhi until I see him play a few games of basketball first

When he played this year he was still really, really good on bad legs and limited minutes

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

xbilkis posted:

My Zen Westbrook take: Criticize him for playing a type of basketball that isn't super compatible with many good players, believe his talent is still enough to lead a contender if the right pieces are around him, cherish him for bringing a distinct style to a game in which aesthetic value can outweigh efficiency for the viewer

Basically: "He could improve his game, but who cares." Tear down the slavish dedication to wins and losses and learn to love each basketballer for who he is

People could stand to focus more on what players can do rather than what they can't just in general

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

MourningView posted:

People could stand to focus more on what players can do rather than what they can't just in general

We all know what Westbrook can do which is why no one here is acting like he's some poo poo player. It's just that he happens to have a lot of faults which can rightfully be discussed.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

claiming hes the problem with the thunder instead of unarguably their best player may not be calling him a G leaguer but its close enough that its worth pretending thats what was said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ghost Dog posted:

claiming hes the problem with the thunder instead of unarguably their best player may not be calling him a G leaguer but its close enough that its worth pretending thats what was said

Pretending what was said. Repeat that phrase to yourself.

• Locked thread