Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Seems somehow the Forever War Curse was lifted, I got peace with the Odrysians (and an indemnity of 10 000 gold) after cornering their fleet (led by their king). Wondering if I should get peace with Carthage as well (chance is moderate) and focus on expanding into Greece and gobbling up the native Iberians for a little while until I return to crush them. This will also give me some time to redeploy and and reorganize my forces. I've had many hastily recruited armies with local levies and other poo poo defending coastal cities for a while now, it's time to turn them into proper legions and finish building a proper fleet.

e: Also, lol, Horse Boys, hope that's said with the most Irish of Irish accents.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

the welsh get wardogs, you ingrates

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Also Eastmen Hirdmen. That's kind of a weird name.

Does that mean all the Viking Sea Kings are Eastern Norwegians? I'm guessing that's what Eastmen has to mean, because according to what we have of contemporary accounts, most of Eastern Norway* wasn't really seen as part of Norway until the 11th century or so when it was incorporated into the kingdom, and the inhabitans were known as "Austmenn", Eastmen.

*Well, since these are vikings and hence have to have come from the coast or near the coasts, then we are mostly talking about the Viken area (which at the time probably was the most densely populated area of the country as it is today, though it wasn't really seen as part of Norway yet, and had much closer cultural and economic contact with Denmark and Southern Sweden anyway) and not all of Eastern Norway, especially as the interior largely hadn't been settled or cleared in any substantial way yet.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 3, 2018

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Randarkman posted:

Seems somehow the Forever War Curse was lifted, I got peace with the Odrysians (and an indemnity of 10 000 gold) after cornering their fleet (led by their king). Wondering if I should get peace with Carthage as well (chance is moderate) and focus on expanding into Greece and gobbling up the native Iberians for a little while until I return to crush them. This will also give me some time to redeploy and and reorganize my forces. I've had many hastily recruited armies with local levies and other poo poo defending coastal cities for a while now, it's time to turn them into proper legions and finish building a proper fleet.

Kill Carthage for faster turns.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Electronico6 posted:

Kill Carthage for faster turns.

Too late I negotiated peace with them, got a few thousand gold out of it even. However I failed to get peace with their African clients, they were at first Moderate then switched to Low when I tried to weasel some gold out of them, now they don't want peace (I may have been cursed with Forever War again, who knows). Anyway, that means I'm gonna deal with them, they have stuff in Spain and just across the Gibraltar strait that I'm keen to take. This will make Carthage hate me and is sure to draw them back into war with me, or I will just move against them when I feel like it.

Also, Jesus, Numidians just loving massacre my poor men. I'm thinking the Romans might be impressed, gonna put up a lot of Auxiliary Barracks in Africa and make them a regular part of later Roman armies I think.

e: Yup they got back in like clockwork after I took Gadir from Masaesyli (Numidia?)

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 3, 2018

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Randarkman posted:

Also Eastmen Hirdmen. That's kind of a weird name.

Does that mean all the Viking Sea Kings are Eastern Norwegians?

I guess they'll go with descriptive names rather prescriptive names. If a Dyflin-er dresses like an eastman, and fights like an eastman, they count as a eastman, even if they were born in Dublin to two Irish parents. The monks of that time had no problems calling groups Danes even if some members lack any Danish blood.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 3, 2018

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Roman Super Troops indeed.

Though not super enough to prevent me from losing one and a half legion in Africa when Numidians ganged up on me and butchered one of my most experienced legions led by my best general and accompanied by a maxed out champion, a half-finished legion I was building also went down fighting as well. Had to spend alot of time after that rerouting some legions from Hispania, bringing them up to strength, now advancing much more cautiously, I hope. Never fight a land war in Africa has to have become a saying by now in this timeline. All those javelins, all those horse with javelins.

Also, that Belgian empire (I think Nervii are Belgians) is becoming kind of worrying.

Though I take heart knowing that when I eventually fight them that they are not Numidians.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

EasternBronze posted:

I feel like Napoleon is the most underrated Total War.

Napoleon is the only one aside from Shogun 2 where the aesthetics are absolutely top notch. One reviewer described it as looking like an oil painting, and I think that's pretty bang on. It's not just pretty, it's pretty in a way that really takes you to the era.

Also, the way the battlefield ends up wreathed in smoke is cool as hell.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Napoleon fights were fun for a bit, but it was very annoying how the good ships took like 8 turns to build.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Randarkman posted:

Roman Super Troops indeed.

Though not super enough to prevent me from losing one and a half legion in Africa when Numidians ganged up on me and butchered one of my most experienced legions led by my best general and accompanied by a maxed out champion, a half-finished legion I was building also went down fighting as well. Had to spend alot of time after that rerouting some legions from Hispania, bringing them up to strength, now advancing much more cautiously, I hope. Never fight a land war in Africa has to have become a saying by now in this timeline. All those javelins, all those horse with javelins.

Also, that Belgian empire (I think Nervii are Belgians) is becoming kind of worrying.

Though I take heart knowing that when I eventually fight them that they are not Numidians.

Oh my sweet summer child, let me tell you about something called a naked nervii skirmisher...
(best javelin infantry in the game, nearly unroutable, fear causing, strong in melee. Though they are naked so arrows are very effective. )

I'm playing a Sparta game at the moment and really need a hammer for my excellent anvil. Spartan cavalry is hilariously bad.

Also I'm kinda worried about Thrones of Britannia.
I have bought it up front because I have a disease and will buy any TW game and all the DLC anyway but it just looks like age of Charlemagne with extra turn times.
I assume they must have started early but it baffles me why they would use Attila (terrible engine) rather than Warhammer (excellent engine) as the base for this game.
I'm really concerned that it's not gonna be optimised at all and the combat already looks pretty inferior compared to warhams or DeI, just undifferentiated mosh pits of identical axe fellows with diff coloured capes.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

also ages ago i recommended the wrong barbarian faction, its actually Ardiaei
really cool faction to play in DeI, they have a combo celto-ibero-greek roster thats unique and has something for everyone, they're also bang in the middle of the action, you can go for greece or rome or thrace right from the start

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

My Pontus DeI game is weird. Fighting Seleucids makes me best buds with Ptolemies, but their puppet Pergamon keeps marching armies through my terrain. It forces me to keep one out of three stacks at home. I wish they'd attack already, at least that way there's some chance Ptolemies won't help them.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I tried to give DeI a go, but is there any submod that speeds up the turn times?

Maybe I could just be more patient about it but that's not really my thing, especially with how many nothing turns there seem to be at the beginning.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Koramei posted:

I tried to give DeI a go, but is there any submod that speeds up the turn times?

Maybe I could just be more patient about it but that's not really my thing, especially with how many nothing turns there seem to be at the beginning.

nah its the big weakness IMO, you can play caesar in gaul or their own macedonian wars campaign but those lack the reforms and a lot of the cool factions. Massalia or Rome in Caesar in Gaul is pretty fun though and turns are snappy. They've improved it a little but not a lot, lately I get by by either playing as one of the big factions (Rome, Carthage or Seleukia) who hog a lot of turn time and then going to stomp the other ones out.

I really got into DeI after Total Warhammer 2 came out and the mortal empires turn times were as long or longer. At least in DeI there is a lot to do and think about so I'm usually not just spamming turns, though there are some factions, particularly small factions with ineffective starting troops who really benefit from making peace with everyone then just spamming turns at the beginning. It beats a lot of Mortal Empires though where there is absolutely gently caress all to do on the campaign layer except wait for a specific troop building or growth threshold unless you're in a big war though.

Off the top of my head Rome, Macedon and Skythia are all set up for pretty active starts though and can begin conquering on turn 1 or 2. Rome you gotta kick the Epirotes out of Italy, Macedon you gotta sprint to conquer Greece or you'll get swamped with enemies and Skythia can produce full armies of levy horse archers who can conquer the world. I play with the Softcore mod since it reduces the number of turns you've gotta babysit your cities to stop them rebelling.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Almost done finishing Carthage in my Rome DeI campaign now. Just have to pick off their last settlement down in the desert and the last town of their remaining Numidian client, then I am going to burn that blighted city to the ground. My progress has been really hurting as my armies aren't rerally tailored to fight those drat Numidians at all, I can beat them, but I nearly always take massive casualties doing so as I just can't catch their cavalry, and if I attempt to do so my cavalry suffer massively because they can throw javelins in any direction, and then they charge in, and they have pretty drat good melee stats if you look away from not being armored (well that's the normal ones, Numidian Noble Cavalry is a different nightmare) and good morale so if I do catch them they stay in the fight for a long while and take quite a few of my troops down with them. It's like I'm the Sardaukar fighting the Fremen, consequently I am not taking prisoners and captured towns are razed (it's very cathartic).

After Carthage is done I am probably gonna pick off the remaining Iberians, they currently love me due to me fighting the Carthaginians, but what can you do. 1 or 2 legions should be more than sufficient for that. At the same time I'm gonna cross into Asia, thinking of just sniping Antioch first, as that's held by a one region faction, Seleucid Usurpers. Then gonna take out the Galatians, hopefully that should earn me some brownie points from the Seleucids and the Greeks, and allow me to secure those fronts for the moment, if I can get nice enough with the Greeks then I should also be able to raise my relations with Egypt as both Sparta and Athens are allied with them (which is why I don't really want to get into the business of fighting and subjugating the Greeks just yet, I want to build up to that). Subsequently fighting the Seleucids (who seem to have no friends) after taking out the Galatians should earn me much love from the Egyptians.

I really don't want to get into a war with the Nervii or the Suebi yet, not until I have secured my position in the Med (if they decided to declare war on me now, I'd be in major trouble), the thought of those Naked Nervii Skirmishers also gives me chills. Fighting the Odrysians whom they have been in a Forever War against for ages should raise their opinion of me. I don't really want to take any land from the Odrysians though, but I guess just sacking their settlements on a regular bases and wrecking their armies should give me decent relationship boosts.

Any one else have personal preferences for "accurate" Roman legions? I really like using a standard army template for when I am playing Rome. Currently I was working with a template that goes 8 legionaries, 3 heavy auxiliaries, 2 spear auxiliaries, 2 cav (preferably auxiliaries), 2 missile infantry. I'm thinking of reducing it down a bit though and instead going with 7 legionaries (preferably 1 first cohort, though the restrictions on them seem kind of bugged), 4 auxiliary infantry (heavy or spear, probably just 50/50), 2 cav and 1 skirmish infantry. That gives me 5 slots to customize each template, for instance if I want siege artillery, more missile infantry or more cavalry. I'm probably going to add archer auxiliary (can recruit Cretan auxiliaries from Macedonia, and there's also some snappy ones to get in Syria) to alot of the armies, as I find them very useful. Might also throw in the baggage train unit as standard, it seems fitting but I don't know how useful it really is.

e: Just had an interesting battle with Carthage. They are down to just Carthage itself which I am blockading and besieging with superior forces, however it seems that this has activated some form of desperate last stand routine for the AI. First they suicided the remnants of their fleet (together with the garrison fleet) into mine, I lost only 2 ships and sunk all of theirs. Then they sallied out and attacked my besieging armies. The map this was played out on was one of those crazy sloping hills maps, and my reinforcing army came in all the way over on their side. So they basically joined up their army and the garrison army together and bumrushed the reinforcement army, charging downhill right into it in a giant mass before I could get it into position, trapping the entire thing in a desperate position. It took long enough to get my other army to the rescue that they basically killed more than half of that army, including the general and had almost pushed it off the field when I charged them in the rear and annihiliated them. So basically one army took almost all the losses and dealt very little casualties, whilst the other took almost no casualties and utterly destroyed the Carthaginians. I did not expect Carthage to go all Imperial Japan on me, it was futile and doomed to failure, and now capturing the city will be a walk in the park as there are only a few hundred of them left (out of 4000 who participated in the battle), but it was interesting and a little bit tense for a while.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Apr 6, 2018

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Dilj4lssok

Biggest thing (for the aesthetics of how the battles will look anyway) is they're adding critical hits, so arrows won't just look like they're bouncing off uselessly for a few volleys before they can actually start scoring kills when units are at full HP. It's for melee attacks too.

That's imo by far the worst part about the HP system, so this is a super welcome addition. Hope they'll backport it to the older games too.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Koramei posted:

Biggest thing (for the aesthetics of how the battles will look anyway) is they're adding critical hits, so arrows won't just look like they're bouncing off uselessly for a few volleys before they can actually start scoring kills when units are at full HP. It's for melee attacks too.

That's imo by far the worst part about the HP system, so this is a super welcome addition. Hope they'll backport it to the older games too.

Just like seeing a slam dunk in a basketball game, I will never tire of seeing a devastating cavalry charge like at 1:30

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hmmm, wonder if they'll add the critical hit modifier to Warhams? Though maybe ranged is strong enough as it is in that.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 6, 2018

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Koramei posted:

I really like the detail of horses rearing and refusing to charge into a solid obstacle, like a shieldwall. Would be cool if that could be combined with a mechanic where they will still charge if the infantry formation suffers a morale shock and loses cohesion, as that is why alot of frontal cavalry charges worked in history, because people tended to lose their nerves when heavily armed men on horses came thundering towards them.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Koramei posted:

Woah does default group locking mean what I think it means

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Mordja posted:

Hmmm, wonder if they'll add the critical hit modifier to Warhams? Though maybe ranged is strong enough as it is in that.

Ranged is fine from a balance standpoint but I'd like to see it added into Warhams anyway just because it doesn't feel good to have a unit not lose any troops after being hit by 120 discrete arrows, or more egregiously, a dozen or so men getting hit in the head by the same speeding canonball and getting up like it was nothing.

Arrows plinking uselessly off a shield wall or Testudo made sense. That was the point of the formation, and it had some legitimate trade-offs. In hams you've got dudes with an arrow in both eyes fighting like it's no big.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The aesthetics is certainly nice. From a balance POV though a 10% chance of x10 damage doubles the DPS of a ranged unit, especially vs heavily armoured or high HP targets. They will probably need to do something to ensure it's balanced for Warhammer...

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

CA are not really into the whole balance or testing thing
I fully expect cavalry to refuse to rear charge archers and for some peasant militia to accidentally have a 90 percent crit rate

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Haha! Get hosed Seleucids.

Started augmenting my eastern forces with auxiliary horse archers and they are very effective indeed, playing as Scythians or Parthians must just make you feel very mean.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Acute Grill posted:

Ranged is fine from a balance standpoint but I'd like to see it added into Warhams anyway just because it doesn't feel good to have a unit not lose any troops after being hit by 120 discrete arrows, or more egregiously, a dozen or so men getting hit in the head by the same speeding canonball and getting up like it was nothing.

Arrows plinking uselessly off a shield wall or Testudo made sense. That was the point of the formation, and it had some legitimate trade-offs. In hams you've got dudes with an arrow in both eyes fighting like it's no big.

to be fair warhammer totally makes sense to have dudes fighting with a dozen arrows in them

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Are war dogs just really good? I put 2 units in one of my armies for fun, released them just ahead of an infantry charge. They murdered 400 men in total without a single doggy being killed. This was against a Galatin garrison that sallied out, I guess against heavily armored men or phalangites or hoplites they'd be much less useful, still that seems very efficient to me.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 8, 2018

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Randarkman posted:

Are war dogs just really good? I put 2 units in one of my armies for fun, released them just ahead of an infantry charge. They murdered 400 men in total without a single doggy being killed. This was against a Galatin garrison that sallied out, I guess against heavily armored men or phalangites or hoplites they'd be much more useful, still that seems very efficient to me.

Yes they are.
Some doggies may have been killed, because only the handlers' deaths affect replenishment. They're a limited quantity, but the dogs come from the infinite dog dimension. They absolutely wreck light units, and will happily eat many units of skirmishers at once :woof:

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

War dogs massacre skirmishers, and are ok-ish at running down broken enemies. I mostly used them to eat enemy light units. It's exploitey, since AI doesn't react to them as their front line of slingers or skirmishers is being annihilated.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I've been thinking of trying out Epirus after I'm done with my Rome game. Anyone here done that? Any recommended strategies? Having taken a look at it, I'd say their starting position is quite weak and not strong enough to take on Rome at the start as you start with tiny armies and not much of an economy to speak of. I was thinking that what you might try to do would be spend as much money as you can at the start getting a decent army, going into negative income if necessary to do so, and then just strike at Larissa and then maybe take out Sparta and perhaps Athens, then grabbing some lands in Illyria. Basically go all in on blitzing Greece and Illyria to set up a proper economic base before attempting to get any further in Italy.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Randarkman posted:

I've been thinking of trying out Epirus after I'm done with my Rome game. Anyone here done that? Any recommended strategies? Having taken a look at it, I'd say their starting position is quite weak and not strong enough to take on Rome at the start as you start with tiny armies and not much of an economy to speak of. I was thinking that what you might try to do would be spend as much money as you can at the start getting a decent army, going into negative income if necessary to do so, and then just strike at Larissa and then maybe take out Sparta and perhaps Athens, then grabbing some lands in Illyria. Basically go all in on blitzing Greece and Illyria to set up a proper economic base before attempting to get any further in Italy.

Your roster is great. You can beat Rome in 15-20 turns.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Early Epirus is all about aggression. 15-20 turns is a very conservative estimate, you can easily do it in 10. Somewhat dependent on whether they focus on you though. Demolishing Rome should be your primary goal before anything else.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

alex314 posted:

War dogs massacre skirmishers, and are ok-ish at running down broken enemies. I mostly used them to eat enemy light units. It's exploitey, since AI doesn't react to them as their front line of slingers or skirmishers is being annihilated.

At least they are not Rome 1 wardogs, those things were a living tide of death that slaughtered all in their path.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Glad to hear they buffed wardogs. They were pointless for a long time I'll have to try them out now.

As for Epirus I destroyed Rome in 12 turns, basically it's all down to your war elephants. Make a line of cheapo levy hoplites, they will hold against early Roman troops for ages in phalanx, then scatter their skirmishers either with archers or cav and hammer their butts with the elephants who deal insane damage in protracted melee and are heavily armoured, you dont even need to cycle charge them.
Your general cavalry also poo poo all over any cav Rome gets early so go kill their general.
You can hire more Merc elephants from Taras but they will cost like 800 upkeep, they are worth every penny though and will win you every battle if used correctly. Shock cav are the strongest common troops now but elephants make them look like pansies.

Early aggressive factions like mercs too so if you need to crush an army recruit loads then disband after the battle.

Another fun early aggression faction is the Antigonids who basically need to Conquer Greece in a dozen turns to survive into midgame but get the most absurdly OP commander cavalry. A 200 strong unit of armoured lancers. I had my OG king Antigonus II specced for melee attack as a 60 year old man thundering down hills and smashing hoplite phalanxes in frontal charges, it was metal as hell.

Also you are right about horse Archer factions, theyr mean as hell. Try out Scythia some time and just roll with stacks of only basic horse archers, the only faction who can stop you are the Arabians

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm glad i'm not the only crazy person who conquers everything carthage related but leaves the capital to last no matter the logistical and strategic difficulties it might cause because damnit, it will be burned.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Early Epirus is all about aggression. 15-20 turns is a very conservative estimate, you can easily do it in 10. Somewhat dependent on whether they focus on you though. Demolishing Rome should be your primary goal before anything else.

My experience is that hitting Beneventum first means the romans go more defensive 90% of the time, which is good. If you’re real lucky Etruria will do a lot of bleeding for you.

Also don’t hesitate to liberate instead of occupying roman towns, you can always backstab italian minors later and they’re obviously all weaker than united Rome. Plus it’s so satisfying to have either gallic or “regnum romanum” dudes holding Rome. A greater gently caress you to the ancient romans could not be imagined.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Rome is actually quite a bit harder to start with than I remember, their position is pretty good but the successor greeks start off much stronger

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Mans posted:

I'm glad i'm not the only crazy person who conquers everything carthage related but leaves the capital to last no matter the logistical and strategic difficulties it might cause because damnit, it will be burned.

Oh, yeah. A small part of it was necessity though. There was a large number of Numidians (I've mentioned how I hate them) to the south of the armies moving in from the West, which is why I gathered and landed two more legions just south of Carthage in order to be able to move against the Numidians without the Carthaginians hitting me and vice versa. Of course after landing those legions (also seized the other two African ports with fleets and built armies and staffed them with mercs and local levies to deal with revolts) I could have taken Carthage at any time really, but obviously I held off on taking it BURNING IT TO THE GROUND until everything else was secured.

e: Current situation.

Gonna take a pause from fighting the Seleucids soon, I think. Turn north, it's about time I dealt with those Belgians (who happen to be allied to the Suebi).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 10, 2018

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I've found therapeutic use for DeI with a bit of Cheat engine fuckery. Get the latest script, use "unlimited ammo", watch your javelin armed anything melt opposition in an unending hail of missiles!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

alex314 posted:

I've found therapeutic use for DeI with a bit of Cheat engine fuckery. Get the latest script, use "unlimited ammo", watch your javelin armed anything melt opposition in an unending hail of missiles!

Try this with Germans iirc, them or another barb faction has basically machine gun javelins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

alex314 posted:

Arcade mode still exists i think and it does this, I think.