Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
It's flying, so bow it. (Using the Sommerswerd as ammo.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Use our AA bow. If it flies, it dies.

e: This would be a cool time for Animal Control to shine. We could be a Dragon Rider. But alas no such fun for us :(

nelson fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 2, 2018

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Pew pew

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Shoot!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Use the Bow to fire the Sommerswerd.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Prisoners of Time posted:

The awesome creature is covered in scaly plates of horn which interlink to protect most of its body. There is only one place vulnerable to an arrow: its glowing green eyes.

Healing: +1 EP (-114/37).

We roll: 17.

Your Arrow flies straight and true. It pierces the Zhengha’s eye and sends it soaring upwards into the sky, screeching an agonized cry across the desolate plain. At the top of its arc it breathes its last fiery breath then plummets to the ground with a resounding crash.

Healing: +1 EP (-113/37).

After your encounter you stop to rest less frequently. Mile after mile you plod on mechanically, only half aware of the lifeless landscape through which you move. Fatigue dulls your senses and you cannot recall the exact moment you entered the Neverness; like a dream, it is as if you have always been here. Clouds swirl beneath your feet yet they support your weight. You float in a sea and sky of grey light without horizon or boundary, a limitless eternity of space. There are distant sounds, like muffled voices, but when you strive to understand them they fade and you cannot catch the words.

Time passes, yet time is meaningless, for you cannot tell the order in which events are taking place. From out of the swirling wisps of cloud three globes of darkness arise. They swim closer, hovering to and fro, evolving into the forms of black-hooded riders on demon steeds. Leering skulls peer from the shadow of their cloaks and you see your own eyes reflected in their bony sockets.

Healing: +1 EP (-112/37).

Blasts of psychic force shoot from the shadow creatures and hurtle towards your mind, but you sense the danger and raise a psychic defence to deflect the attack. The hostile energy buckles your thought-shield and leaves you shivering with psychic shock.

Healing: +1 EP (-111/37).

You use your improved psychic skill to repair your thought-shield by catching and controlling part of the hostile energy being directed against you. The shadow creatures sense your psychic mastery and a whisper passes between them. They split up and the hooves of their steeds churn the cloud to a roiling ferment as they move at a gallop to surround you.

Healing: +1 EP (-110/37).

The shadowy riders raise their black hands, and spears of blue fire appear suddenly in their fists. They scream an unearthly cry as they brandish these crackling lances; then they level them at your chest and charge forward to ride you down.

Shadow Reavers (corporeal): COMBAT SKILL 34 ENDURANCE 40

You cannot evade combat and must fight the supernatural creatures to the death.
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 32 ENDURANCE -110
Shadow Reavers (corporeal): COMBAT SKILL 34 ENDURANCE 40
Combat Ratio: -2

We roll: 6
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 32 ENDURANCE -112
Shadow Reavers (corporeal): COMBAT SKILL 34 ENDURANCE 33

We roll: 8
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 32 ENDURANCE -113
Shadow Reavers (corporeal): COMBAT SKILL 34 ENDURANCE 24

We roll: 7
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 32 ENDURANCE -115
Shadow Reavers (corporeal): COMBAT SKILL 34 ENDURANCE 16

We roll: 6
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 32 ENDURANCE -117
Shadow Reavers (corporeal): COMBAT SKILL 34 ENDURANCE 9

We roll: 10
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 32 ENDURANCE -117
Shadow Reavers (corporeal): COMBAT SKILL 34 ENDURANCE 0

This fight is unavoidable (although it is considerably easier if you have Psi-surge) so Kai is still keeping us alive.

With a haunting scream, the evil shadows fade and dissolve in the swirling clouds. A loud wind whistles in your ears, carrying the mournful sound of a tolling bell. At the centre of the cloud a ray of golden light pulses like a heartbeat in time to the chime of the bell. It draws you towards it and you cannot resist its call.

Healing: +1 EP (-116/37).

Slowly the clouds separate, and a tall tower of glistening white stone looms before you. A globe of golden light hangs suspended in mid-air above its conical roof, pulsating with heat and radiating power like a tiny, new-born sun.

Its comforting warmth draws you towards an open portal at the side of the tower. Beyond it you see a dark tunnel that descends towards a speck of misty yellow light.

Healing: +1 EP (-115/37).

You find it impossible to resist the strange compulsion drawing you towards the light. Effortlessly you glide along the tunnel and emerge at the centre of a huge, transparent sphere suspended in a luminous yellow sea of oily liquid. Behind its seamless walls swim fish-like creatures, strange things with phosphorescent bodies and opalescent jaws. You stare in fascination as they swim around you, seemingly oblivious of your presence.

Healing: +1 EP (-114/37).

From the curved floor of this spherical chamber a billowing mist arises. It blurs your vision and numbs your senses. As if in a dream, you feel yourself lifted by the buoyant cloud and transported across a vast, shadowy terrain, where spirit-shapes, like wisps of white silk, swirl around you in continuous motion. At first you cannot discern the nature of these gossamer forms, but slowly they draw into focus until at last you are able to distinguish their features. A cold terror grips your mind when you realize exactly what it is you are looking at.

Healing: +1 EP (-113/37).

The ghostly forms possess the faces of every enemy you have ever slain. They twist and contort beneath your gaze, their empty eyes burning with cold blue flames as they return your stare. Frantically you draw on your psychic reserves and succeed in shielding your mind from the shock of this haunting confrontation.

Healing: +1 EP (-112/37).

The ghosts dissolve into the mists and a strange serenity soothes your tortured mind. New forms are taking shape now. They fill the scope of your vision with memories of events that occurred long ago. You see the smiling faces of your mother and father; the village of Dage, where you lived before you entered the Kai Monastery; your sister Kari calling you in for supper at the close of a warm summer’s day; and the sad memory of your brother Jen, who gave his life to save yours when, on your sixth birthday, you slipped and fell into the River Tor.

With amazement you watch as the patchwork parade of recollections continues to unfold, and slowly a realization of their meaning crystallizes in your mind. These people and events have all played their part, be it great or small, in the shaping of your destiny.

Healing: +1 EP (-111/37).

Suddenly the visions are obscured by a dazzling light which shines so brilliantly that you are forced to shield your eyes against the glare. Many moments pass before you can make out the shape of what looms above: it is the huge face of a mighty warrior, strong and wise, whose golden eyes stare down at you with supernatural majesty. A kindly smile softens his heroic features and a voice, deep and wondrous, rumbles from his throat.

‘In this age of darkness you have been chosen to fulfil the quest of the Magnakai. Be true to the quest, for the greatness born within you can save your people and right the imbalance which threatens to destroy your world. Doubt not your purpose nor your strength, for inside you there burns a flame that can light the hopes of future men for all time.’

The divine radiance of his being and the gravity of his words fill you with wonderment, for your senses tell you that you are now in the presence of your creator—the immortal God Kai.

Healing: +1 EP (-110/37).

The vision of your maker shatters with breathtaking suddenness and, without any warning, you fall forwards and plummet into thick, swirling cloud. The scary sensation of this rapid descent leaves you gasping, but the initial shock is soon replaced by the calm certainty that your fall is being controlled by unseen hands. Then, as if awaking from a dream, you become aware that the cloud has faded and the welcome feel of firm ground has returned beneath your feet.

You stand at the foot of a massive sandstone cliff, its sheer wall pitted and scarred by fierce winds that whip across the surrounding rocky landscape. Perched at the top of the cliff is a walled city, whose grim outline and dragon gate you recognize immediately: it is Haagadar, the forgotten city of the Sandai. You stare up at the stronghold, pondering the near-impossible climb to its gate, and try to suppress your mounting fears. Nearby you see a stinking stream of foul water. You follow it to its source and discover that it pours from a grille set into the cliff wall. It must be a sewage channel that services the city above.

Healing: +1 EP (-109/37).
Should we enter the sewer or attempt to scale the cliff?

We've healed 19 Endurance and taken another 7 damage since we died. If we'd merely been reduced to 1 EP then we'd have survived the fight with the Shadow Reavers and would now be on 13 Endurance.

A roll of 5-8 (8 being the lowest we can actually roll with all our bonuses) would have injured the Zhengha and driven it off. A roll of 0-4 is a miss and forces you to fight it.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Enter the sewer. We’re in no shape for climbing.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Scale the cliff. We’ve spent enough time in sewers.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Onwards and upwards!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Cheers Kai, couldn't you have given us a lift earlier?

And climbing seems less likely to attract attention; we're bound to end up fighting something appalling if we wade through Chaos sewage.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Enter the sewer. Every adventurer knows its the best way into a city.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

achtungnight posted:

Enter the sewer. We’re in no shape for climbing.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

nelson posted:

Scale the cliff. We’ve spent enough time in sewers.
Personally I feel like any time in a sewer is too much time.

Despite the freezing wind and the near-vertical angle of ascent, your basic Kai skills enable you to climb the pitted cliff wall with little difficulty to begin with. However, when you reach the halfway point, you are faced by a ledge of sandstone that juts out several feet from the wall.

Healing: +1 EP (-108/37).

We roll: 1 +1 (rope) +3 (Huntmastery) = 5.

With panther-like grace you swing clear of the cliff wall, grab hold of the ledge with both hands, and pull yourself over the obstacle. The remainder of the climb is easy by comparison and you soon reach the top to find yourself standing in the shadow of the huge dragon gate. Two iron-banded doors set into the stone offer access to the city. They are unguarded and you enter and walk undetected along the flagstoned street beyond.

Few walk the shadowy avenues of Haagadar; the atmosphere is so thick with the smell of salt and sulphur that those whom you do pass are unrecognizable behind the damp pads they press to their faces to ward off the cloying stench. The dimly lit street ends at a central square where you witness two encouraging sights. Roped to a stone monolith at the centre of the square is a huge, black bird—the scarlet warrior’s winged steed. Behind it, rising in flat-topped tiers, is the Temple of the Sandai. Two armour-clad creatures stand guard at the entrance, their rusty helmets crudely adapted to fix their face pads in position. You sense that the Lorestone is here within the temple, and you scan every inch of it in the hope of finding an unguarded entrance. There are no other doors, but a circular, chimney-like vent protrudes from the middle of the highest tier.

Healing: +1 EP (-107/37).
Should we climb the temple and try to get in through the vent, or cover our face and try to bluff our way past the guards?

We've gained 2 Endurance points in this update, meaning that our post-death running Endurance total is up to 15.

You have to roll a four or lower to fall off the cliff, so we just avoided dying there. Good thing we have that rope.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
bluff our way past the guards. I'm sure we can talk out way into trouble.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Is that the first time a rope has ever been useful in our adventure? It's so ingrained in me from my D&D days to have a rope at all times.

Let's do some more climbing while we're on a roll.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
"Hey, Guards! I have Invisibility!"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Maugrim posted:

Is that the first time a rope has ever been useful in our adventure?
We used one back in book three to swing across a pit, and also in book five for the same purpose, and then to climb down a chasm in book ten. So this is the fourth time in eleven books that a rope's been useful to us (not counting any occasions where we might have been able to use a rope but didn't have one, or times where we could potentially have used a rope if we'd made different decisions).

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 3, 2018

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Tiggum posted:

We used one back in book three to swing across a pit, and also in book five for the same purpose, and then to climb down a chasm in book ten. So this is the fourth time in eleven books that a rope's been useful to us (not counting any occasions where we might have been able to use a rope but didn't have one, or times where we could potentially have used a rope if we'd made different decisions).

Ugh, now you mention them I remember all of these. Guess it's actually pretty useful and my memory is just selective.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Go through the guards. We've done enough climbing for one book.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Comstar posted:

bluff our way past the guards. I'm sure we can talk out way into trouble.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

achtungnight posted:

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

"The Prisoners of Time" posted:

The ghosts dissolve into the mists and a strange serenity soothes your tortured mind. New forms are taking shape now. They fill the scope of your vision with memories of events that occurred long ago. You see the smiling faces of your mother and father; the village of Dage, where you lived before you entered the Kai Monastery; your sister Kari calling you in for supper at the close of a warm summer’s day; and the sad memory of your brother Jen, who gave his life to save yours when, on your sixth birthday, you slipped and fell into the River Tor.

This in the only tidbit of Lone Wolf's personal life we found in all the books. Obviously, in order to identify with the main characters, this is a valid tactic.

By the way, let's Bluff.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Guy Fawkes posted:

This in the only tidbit of Lone Wolf's personal life we found in all the books. Obviously, in order to identify with the main characters, this is a valid tactic.

Dever didn't publish the family tree until 2016.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Runcible Cat posted:

What's the point in being a master of disguise if you don't use it?

The two guards draw themselves upright and grip the hilts of their tarnished swords nervously as they watch you approach.

‘What d’you want?’ growls the larger of the two, his green, piggy eyes glinting through the slits in his rusty helm. ‘I’ve been summoned,’ you say with conviction, praying that your bluff is good enough to fool them. ‘They want to see me straight away.’

The porcine guard swivels his eyes, blinks at his comrade, and whispers something you cannot make out.

Healing: +1 EP (-106/37).

Your mastery of dialect and mannerisms convinces them that you are one of the minions who serve the Master of the City. Slowly they step aside, sniggering like spiteful children as they watch you enter the temple door. You glance back to see one draw a warty forefinger across his throat, and hear the other laugh.

Healing: +1 EP (-105/37).

Quickly you enter and follow a corridor that sweeps away in a smooth, curving arc. A line of doors, each one painted with the symbol of a writhing serpent, marches past on either side. The doors are invariably closed and their heavy iron bolts are locked in position. You ignore them and hurry on towards a distant staircase, for it is here that you sense that the power of the last Lorestone is at its strongest.

The staircase opens on to a balcony, which overlooks a large, circular hall. Here the floor is made of a polished, blue-black marble that gleams like the still waters of a lake. At one end stands a massive table cluttered with artefacts, scrolls, and many strange potions and powders that hint at the practice of alchemy. At the opposite end of the hall is a towering arch, its surface sculptured with all manner of creatures, many of which stir a deep loathing within you. Beneath the arch is a complete darkness: no light at all penetrates or reflects in this inky abyss, for this is the Shadow Gate of Sandai, the doorway back to your home world.

Healing: +1 EP (-104/37).

A sudden sound makes you spin on your heel and instinctively you crouch down ready for combat. A small group of people, dressed in costumes that look vaguely familiar, are marching along the corridor towards the balcony. To avoid them, you hurry down a narrow stair that leads to the hall below and take cover behind the overladen table. From your hiding place you observe the group make their entrance. There are six of them: four men, one woman, and one other who walks with a stoop at the centre of the group and whom you cannot see clearly. You concentrate on their clothing, for there is something about its cut and style that is definitely familiar, yet you cannot pinpoint what it is. Then suddenly you recognize it, and the shock makes you draw breath: they are wearing Sommlending costumes. The five visible faces are now all too familiar to you: Luvias Kort, the Poisoner of Tyso; Falco, highwayman and cut-throat; Aieta Nematah, the Wytch of the Kirlundin Isles; Porgron, murderer; and Gardor Vezh, Chief Druid of Malis Mound, necromancer and cannibal. These are five of Sommerlund’s most notorious criminals, all of whom were sentenced to be thrown into the Shadow Gate of Toran for their crimes.

Five pairs of startled eyes glare at the table, alerted by your gasp, and the slick sound of blades leaving oiled scabbards soon follows. The four men and the woman, Aieta, raise their swords and step forward to challenge you. As they move apart you see the sixth member of their group clearly and an icy chill runs down your spine. Slowly you shake your head in disbelief as your stare is returned by the cold, malicious eyes of Vonotar the Traitor.

‘Long have I waited for the chance to enact my revenge on you, Lone Wolf,’ he hisses, his loathsome voice filling the hall with sibilant echoes, ‘and now my time has come. Kill him!’ he screams, maniacally, and the five spring forward, eager to obey his command.

Villains of Sommerlund: COMBAT SKILL 38 ENDURANCE 46

You cannot evade this combat and must fight all five enemies to the death.

If we hadn't actually died (just come very close) then we'd now be on 18 Endurance.

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 32 ENDURANCE -104 (18)
Villains of Sommerlund: COMBAT SKILL 38 ENDURANCE 46
Combat Ratio: -6

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 32 ENDURANCE -107 (15)
Villains of Sommerlund: COMBAT SKILL 38 ENDURANCE 40

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 32 ENDURANCE -110 (12)
Villains of Sommerlund: COMBAT SKILL 38 ENDURANCE 34

We roll: 2
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 32 ENDURANCE -116 (6)
Villains of Sommerlund: COMBAT SKILL 38 ENDURANCE 33

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 32 ENDURANCE -116 (6)
Villains of Sommerlund: COMBAT SKILL 38 ENDURANCE 24

We roll: 4
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 32 ENDURANCE -121 (1)
Villains of Sommerlund: COMBAT SKILL 38 ENDURANCE 21

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 32 ENDURANCE -121 (1)
Villains of Sommerlund: COMBAT SKILL 38 ENDURANCE 12

We roll: 4
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 32 ENDURANCE -126 (0)
Villains of Sommerlund: COMBAT SKILL 38 ENDURANCE 9

So we're dead again.

This is another unavoidable fight, and even if you came into this book prepared with Laumspur and Alether you quite likely used those up already. Again, you can come to this book with a considerably higher Combat Skill than we have, but you can also arrive here with a much lower Combat Skill, and the idea that you can complete this book as a stand-alone is a joke. The highest Combat Skill you could have if this was your first book (and you got the best possible roll) is 27 - and to get that you have to not choose Curing, which means (since you didn't complete the Kai series first) no gradual restoration of health either. And there's no easier version of this fight for people who don't have the Sommerswerd, this is it.

Death count: 14.

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 32 ENDURANCE -128
Villains of Sommerlund: COMBAT SKILL 38 ENDURANCE 2

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 32 ENDURANCE -130
Villains of Sommerlund: COMBAT SKILL 38 ENDURANCE 0

As the last of your enemies falls dead at your feet, the traitor vents a shrill cry of terror and scurries like a bloated spider towards the Shadow Gate. In his hand he clutches a banded, leaden box and, as he runs, he works feverishly at the lock. Suddenly the lid springs back and your senses burn as the power of the last Lorestone is uncovered. Now instinct alone guides your actions. You sprint towards him, determined to stop him from entering the Shadow Gate. He squeals with fear and turns to face you, his hand raised, a ring of blue fire pulsating on his finger. He screams a curse and a jet of cold fire lances your chest and slams you to the floor: lose 5 ENDURANCE points. As you stagger to your feet, the traitor runs forward to finish you with another blast. You dive aside and the blast tears open the floor but, before he can launch another, you leap forward and attack.

Vonotar the Traitor (with Power Ring): COMBAT SKILL 30 ENDURANCE 21

He is immune to Mindblast and Psi-surge.
That last fight being unavoidable, of course this one is as well. As is that 5 damage we just took. :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 30 ENDURANCE -135
Vonotar the Traitor (with Power Ring): COMBAT SKILL 30 ENDURANCE 21
Combat Ratio: 0

We roll: 1
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 30 ENDURANCE -140
Vonotar the Traitor (with Power Ring): COMBAT SKILL 30 ENDURANCE 18

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 30 ENDURANCE -141
Vonotar the Traitor (with Power Ring): COMBAT SKILL 30 ENDURANCE 9

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 30 ENDURANCE -142
Vonotar the Traitor (with Power Ring): COMBAT SKILL 30 ENDURANCE 0

Counting the 5 damage he did to us in the text, Vonatar himself only managed to do 12 damage to us in total - but there's not even a chance to use a healing potion between those fights, so if the first one left you in bad shape then you're probably not going to survive this one, even though it is easier (for some reason). I'm not sure why the random bad guys we'd never heard of before are a tougher fight than the major villain we spent an entire previous book hunting down, but it seems a bit anti-climactic.

Death count: 15.

Vonotar lies dead on the black marble floor, his torn body oozing a blood that is thin and vile, like poisonous venom. You roll his corpse aside and take up the Lorestone in your trembling hands. Instantly an overwhelming wave of power is transfused into your being and you feel lifted, in mind and body, to a level of consciousness that transcends your mortal frame. You surrender to its power and under its guidance you are drawn inexorably towards the arch of the Shadow Gate. Willingly you step into the darkness and begin your triumphant return to the world where you were born.

Your quest has succeeded, for the essence of the remaining two Lorestones is now one with your body and spirit. But the final struggle has yet to be won, for the power of your mortal enemies—the Darklords of Helgedad—has waxed and grown strong during your time in the Daziarn. If you possess the courage of a true Kai Master, the ultimate battle awaits you in the final episode of the Magnakai quest, entitled:

The Masters of Darkness

Healing: +1 EP (-141).

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 16, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Final stats for The Prisoners of Time:

Combat Skill: 32 (16)
    Endurance Points: -141/37 (31)

Kai/Magnakai Disciplines
  1. Weaponmastery (+4 CS w/ sword, warhammer, dagger, mace, axe, quarterstaff & spear, -1 CS when unarmed, +5 to bows, +2 to other missile attacks)
  2. Huntmastery
  3. Invisibility
  4. Nexus
  5. Pathsmanship
  6. Psi-screen
  7. Animal Control
  8. Divination
  9. Healing (Regain 1 EP per section)
  10. Mindblast (+2 CS)
    Weapons:
  1. The Sommerswerd (+8 CS)
  2. Dagger
    Gold Crowns (money): 50
    Backpack:
  1. Rope
  2. Lantern
  3. Meal (+3 EP)
  4. Meal
  5. Meal
  6. Meal
  7. Meal
  8. Meal
    Special Items:
  1. Helmet (+2 EP)
  2. Shield (+2 CS)
  3. Firesphere
  4. Vial of Gnadurn Sap
  5. Silver Rod
  6. Psychic Ring
  7. Map of the Daziarn
  8. Silver Bow of Duadon (+3 to RN)
  9. Quiver (5/6 arrows)
  10. Fireseeds (7)
  11. Kazan-Oud Platinum Amulet
  12. Chainmail Waistcoat (+4 EP)
  13. Signet Ring

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Tiggum posted:

I'm not sure why the random bad guys we'd never heard of before are a tougher fight than the major villain we spent an entire previous book hunting down, but it seems a bit anti-climactic.

Well, there are five of them, at least two have Magic (the witch and necromancer), and one is a really bad Bard (Falco*).

The next book is my favorite Lone Wolf title. Looking forward to it. :D

*Just kidding, I actually like some of Falco's music.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 4, 2018

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

achtungnight posted:

The next book is my favorite Lone Wolf title. Looking forward to it. :D

Is it chock full of bullshit fights too? They are starting to take the fun out of it for me. It almost physically pains me to witness such horrible game(book) design.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

My feelings on this book are mixed. On the one hand it's obviously way too hard. Those fights with the Chaos Master and the villains of Sommerlund are ridiculous - it is pretty hilarious that Sommerlund has just been throwing criminals through the shadow gate with no thought given to who might be on the other side or what they might do there though. Just tossing them into someone else's world and basically saying "they're your problem now!" There's also a weird range of crimes represented in that group that killed us, everything from highway robbery to necromancy and cannibalism.

There are also some really long sections where you don't get to make any choices and just have to read a whole bunch of exposition and world-building, and that's not great. But on the other hand there are some really cool ideas in this book and the journey across an alien land is pretty neat. But in the end, I basically come away from this book disappointed. The game balance issues are just too much for me to overlook.

Now remember that fortune teller we met?

She say that you will go to a castle far away where dragon breathes fire. In this castle is a snake. Beware this snake for it is very poisonous. If it bite you—you dead!’
OK, so the dragon was literal - but it's a random encounter, so you can be warned about it and never see it - and I guess the snake is Vonotar?

‘She say that you have an enemy in the skies. He come to nest in trees and fight with you. He not win fight but you not win fight either. You must beware this enemy for he will not rest until you die.’
:confused:

And the one we actually got:

‘She say you will dream of when you were young. In your dream much will be made clear to you. This dream is good. It will help you grow strong and defeat your enemies.’
OK, so that's the bit where we heard the brief anecdote about Lone Wolf's childhood. I guess that one's accurate.

But none of them are actually helpful. :shrug:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
I'm pretty sure since a fight ended (with the Villains of Sommerlund), you can use a potion if you still have one by that point, but that's definitely the sort of rules ambiguity that a person has to work out for themselves (personally, while I tend to be pretty liberal about bending rules in certain reasonable ways for the benefit of my players* when GMing, this feels like a the rare situation where I might decide against them).

*For examples within Lone Wolf, there are a number of instances (including in this very book) of getting Backpack items while in a vehicle or other static location you spend several Numbered Sections in, and then eating a meal a couple sections later, and I would just rule that the meal I threw out to make room for the new item is the meal I ate since he could just put it down next to him for a sec (conversely, in such situations I tend to also rule that Lone Wolf can't hunt since he's in, like, a moving wagon or somebody's living room and I'm pretty sure Huntmastery isn't that powerful).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Masters of Darkness

The Masters of Darkness posted:

The Story So Far …
You are the warrior, Lone Wolf, last of the Kai Masters of Sommerlund and sole survivor of the massacre that destroyed your kinsmen during a bitter war with your age-old enemies—the Darklords of Helgedad.

Many centuries have passed since Sun Eagle, the first of your kind, established the Order of the Kai. Aided by the magicians of Dessi, he completed a perilous quest to find seven crystals of power known as the Lorestones of Nyxator, and upon their discovery he unlocked a wisdom and strength that lay within both the Lorestones and himself. He recorded the nature of his discoveries and his experiences in a great tome entitled The Book of the Magnakai. You found this lost Kai treasure and gave a solemn pledge to restore the Kai to their former glory, thereby ensuring the security of your land in the years to come. To fulfil your pledge, you embarked on the same quest that was undertaken by Sun Eagle over one thousand years ago: the search for the seven crystals of power that hold the power and wisdom of your ancestors.

Your quest was to take you far from your northern homeland. Following in the footsteps of the first Kai Grand Master you journeyed to Dessi and sought the help of the Elder Magi, the magicians who aided Sun Eagle on his quest long ago. There you learned that for centuries the Elder Magi had awaited your coming. An ancient Dessi legend told of the birth and rise to greatness of two koura-tas-kai, which means ‘Sons of the Sun’. One was named Ikar, which means ‘eagle’, and the other was named Skarn, which means ‘wolf’. A prophecy foretold that the koura-tas-kai would each come from out of the north to seek the counsel of the Elder Magi in order that they might fulfil a great quest. Although separated by several centuries, they would share one spirit, one purpose, and one destiny—to triumph over the champions of darkness in an age of great peril. The Elder Magi knew that you were Skarn, the wolf of Dessi legend, and in keeping with their ancient vows they promised to help you complete the Magnakai quest.

In Elzian, the capital of Dessi, you were tutored in the histories of Magnamund and received lessons in lore that you would have learned from the Kai masters if only they, like you, had survived the murderous Darklord attack on the Kai Monastery. You were eager to learn all that the Elder Magi could teach you in preparation for your quest, but war was to cut short your tuition. In the Darklands capital of Helgedad a struggle for power had been won by a Darklord called Gnaag. The other Darklords, fourteen in number, united behind their new leader and upon his command began to muster huge armies in preparation for the conquest of Magnamund. Swiftly their Giak legions grew in number, enabling Gnaag to launch a sweeping invasion that was to catch the Freelands unprepared. His legions advanced unchecked until, at the momentous Battle of Tahou, you turned the tide of the war decisively against Gnaag by defeating his powerful ally, Zakhan Kimah, in mortal combat.

Victory at Tahou paved the way for the liberation of all the lands that Gnaag had taken by force. But the sweet taste of this victory was to turn sour when you discovered that he had captured the last three remaining Lorestones of Nyxator, and had vowed to avenge his defeat by destroying them and killing you. Alarmed by this news, the High Council of the Elder Magi helped you to formulate a plan of action. They had received news from allies in the west that the Lorestones were being held in the city-fortress of Torgar, where Gnaag’s sorcerers—the Nadziranim—were searching for a means of destroying them. Fearing that they might achieve their goal, the Elder Magi made preparations for your secret passage to Torgar and, after a long and perilous journey, you arrived to find it besieged by the allied armies of Talestria and Palmyrion. During the many months of the Darklord invasion, hundreds of Talestrians were enslaved and sent to labour in the dungeons and sulphur mines deep within the bowels of Torgar. Their plight had seemed hopeless until the allied armies, under the command of Lord Adamas of Garthen, finally arrived to liberate them. Due in part to your bravery and skill during the assault, Lord Adamas’ troops were able to breach the great Torgar gate and storm its citadel. During this fierce battle you gained entry to the chamber at the heart of the citadel where the Nadziranim were attempting to destroy the Lorestones. Above a circular black pit the three radiant gems hung suspended in a fireball of negative energy, the focal point of several beams of power arising from crystals set around the edge of the pit. By means of a gantry you were able to climb above these energy beams and retrieve one of the three Lorestones. But, as you reached out for the remaining two, the terrible voice of Darklord Gnaag filled the chamber. ‘Vengeance is mine!’ he rasped, and in the next instant a bolt of blue lightning leapt from a crystal that he held in his fly-like hand. It sheared through the rusty iron gantry, creating a shock wave that sent the Lorestones tumbling into the black pit. A second bolt ripped the gantry in two, and, with the ghastly laugh of Darklord Gnaag ringing in your ears, you fell headlong into a portal of total darkness—a Shadow Gate—which led to the twilight world of the Daziarn Plane.

When first you looked upon the desolate wastelands of the Daziarn, you recalled what little you had heard tell of this alien world. The magicians of Sommerlund believe it to be an astral corridor, connecting and binding the planet Magnamund to other planes of existence. By passing through a Shadow Gate—one of which is situated below their Guildhall in the city of Toran—a person could gain entry to the Daziarn. However, all those who had ever passed through the Shadow Gate of Toran had never been seen again, prompting the magicians to believe that the journey could only be made in one direction. It was said that from the Daziarn there was no escape.

Your vow to restore the Kai, and your stubborn will to survive against all odds, made you even more determined to recover the last two Lorestones and find a way of returning to your home world. In the course of your search you discovered that your fight against the forces of darkness was the focus of a greater conflict raging throughout all the planes of existence, and that the time had come when the actions of one individual would shape the future of every living thing. It came as a great revelation to discover that you were that individual.

Part of your destiny was fulfilled when you fought and defeated the Chaos-master, the leader of the evil force that threatened to conquer the Daziarn. You recovered one of the Lorestones and, with the help of a god-like creature called Serocca, you were able to find the location of a Shadow Gate that would return you to your own world. Here your quest culminated in a battle with your old enemy, Vonotar the Traitor, who had found the last Lorestone and who controlled the city wherein lay the Shadow Gate. He had intended to use the power of the Lorestone to enable him to return to Magnamund, but your bravery and determination put paid to his plans. In a desperate fight, on the very threshold of the Shadow Gate itself, you slew him and retrieved the last Lorestone, thereby completing the Magnakai Quest. Instantly an overwhelming wave of power was transfused into your being, lifting you to a level of consciousness that transcended your mortal frame. You surrendered to this power and, under its guidance, you were drawn inexorably towards the Shadow Gate. Willingly you stepped into the icy darkness and began your triumphant return to the world where you were born.

OK, final Magnakai Discipline choice! Curing or Psi-surge! Both actually get really cool upgrades in this book, so I'll go over those here:

Curing: In addition to restoring 1 Endurance Point per numbered section, Curing now allows us, once every 100 days (once per book, essentially), to immediately regain 20 EP as soon as our current score falls below 6 - even mid-combat. It would also give us the Lore Circle of Light and therefore an additional 3 EP.

Psi-surge: Regular Psi-surge gives +4 CS at a cost of 2 Endurance Points per round. That's instead of (not in addition to) the +2 CS from Mindblast. At this level that increases to +6 CS and the cost is reduced to 1 EP per round. We also get an upgrade to Mindblast here, so it now grants +3 CS. Psi-surge would also get us the Lore Circle of the Spirit and therefore +3 to both our Combat Skill and Endurance Point totals.

So those are our options. Three other Disciplines also get some (less impressive) upgrades too:

Animal Control: Command most animals.
Huntmastery: Enhanced senses.
Nexus: Immunity to heat, cold, toxic gases, fire, acid, etc.

And we've got two weapons left on our list that we haven't mastered yet, so will it be short sword or broadsword?

Oddly, we don't know what our mission is actually going to be yet, but we will get a chance to rest, recuperate and restock before we get started, so our Endurance is going to be back up to full and we'll get some cash (15 GC), special fur-lined clothing, sturdy boots, and a hooded cape made from waterproof Kalkoth hide, and our choice of any six of the following:
  • Sword
  • Bow
  • Quiver (six arrows)
  • Rope
  • Potion of Laumspur (+4 EP)
  • Lantern
  • Mace
  • 4 Meals
  • Dagger
  • Quarterstaff
  • Axe
The cash is going straight into storage as our pouch and backpack are both full, and as usual we can't carry two quivers or more than six arrows but we can restock our current supply. The rest is up to you. What do we take? What do we keep? What do we put away? What do we retrieve from our stash?

So once again we need votes for:
  1. New Discipline
  2. New Weaponmastery
  3. Things to put in storage
  4. Things to retrieve from storage
  5. New Equipment

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Tiggum posted:

Healing: +1 EP (-141).

:laffo: this is such a beautiful way to end the 11th book.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
This book is mostly my favorite because of its plot, which I won't spoil. You'll see. :D

Because we may need those extra CS points, I vote for Psi-Surge even though I hate the Endurance cost it incurs (let's only turn it on at Combat Ratio -3 or below, ok?).

I also vote for mastering Shortsword.

Inventory Changes- Swap 2 Meals for Alether Potions, just in case.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

The last thread opted to house-rule that we got both Disciplines on the grounds that we got two Lorestones, but I'm fine with playing by the rules this time around.

Psi-Surge and the Potion of Laumspur. We're going to need them, probably.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
  1. New Discipline - Psi Surge
  2. New Weaponmastery - Short Sword
  3. Things to put in storage - 4 meals, Vial of Gnadurn Sap, Silver Rod, Map of the Daziarn
  4. Things to retrieve from storage - 3 Potion of Alether
  5. New Equipment - restock arrows, Potion of Laumspur

I vote for using Psi-Surge any time we’re below +7 CR. Blasting the crap out of enemies is well worth 1 EP per round.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

nelson posted:

3. Things to put in storage - 4 meals, Vial of Gnadurn Sap, Silver Rod, Map of the Daziarn

I vote for using Psi-Surge any time we’re below +7 CR. Blasting the crap out of enemies is well worth 1 EP per round.

This seems Correct.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

achtungnight posted:

Because we may need those extra CS points, I vote for Psi-Surge

I also vote for mastering Shortsword.

Inventory Changes- Swap 2 Meals for Alether Potions, just in case.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

nelson posted:

Ditto

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

nelson posted:

All this sounds good except I think the rule should be if +4 or below.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

EclecticTastes posted:

I'm pretty sure since a fight ended (with the Villains of Sommerlund), you can use a potion if you still have one by that point, but that's definitely the sort of rules ambiguity that a person has to work out for themselves

If you have Curing then once per book you can instantly regain 20 health if you are below 10. Once we get into the Grand Master series you can do it a second time if you take Deliverance. Worth remembering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jedit posted:

If you have Curing then once per book you can instantly regain 20 health if you are below 10.
The threshold is 6, and it only applies as of book 12 so it's not an option in The Prisoners of Time.