Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
My grill died. Several brackets for the "heat tents" (covers the burners) rusted and broke off. With a decent tax return coming back, I've begun searching for a replacement that isn't piece of poo poo after 5 years.

What's a good, medium sized replacement? Hopefully with the drat "heat tent" things either not supported by brackets that will rust/fall off or made of stainless? I think 3 burners is sufficient.

Propane and propane related accessories only please. Don't want to break the bank, but this thing lives out doors, so must withstand the elements (Vermont...so cold/snowy/wet winters). I'm hesitant just to pay for a name because it's the most prevalent, but if there's a good case to be made, I'm open to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seminal Flu posted:

Regardless, time to get some thoughts and prayers queued up.

What if we could deploy some sort of thoughts and prayers forcefield?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Can't recommend one really, cause I've never had a propane that didn't fall apart, but 3 burner to me is a small rear end grill. 5 is when I say midsized.

I'm also fat.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

4/5 burner is typical for what I'm used to seeing.

A cover really helps with wear and tear on them. Also cleaning semi regularly and letting it burn off the fat that dripped down by running at full for a couple mins before shutting off seems to help with longevity as it burns/dries any drippings quickly.

Last BBQ we had was a broil king (iirc) and it lasted a decade outdoors, still worked when we replaced it but it was getting a little rusted around the burners.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

Can't recommend one really, cause I've never had a propane that didn't fall apart, but 3 burner to me is a small rear end grill. 5 is when I say midsized.

I'm also fat.
The one we use(d until) now is a 4 burner, and usually have only used half at a time... with kids growing up, I could maybe make a case for another of the same size, but there's also no harm in going smaller and cooking in waves if needed. Maybe hoping I can clean a corner of the garage and store it there to help avoid some of the problems... Though that begets the problems of storing propane in an enclosed space....

Bajaha posted:

4/5 burner is typical for what I'm used to seeing.

A cover really helps with wear and tear on them. Also cleaning semi regularly and letting it burn off the fat that dripped down by running at full for a couple mins before shutting off seems to help with longevity as it burns/dries any drippings quickly.

Last BBQ we had was a broil king (iirc) and it lasted a decade outdoors, still worked when we replaced it but it was getting a little rusted around the burners.

I thought I was pretty good about cleaning it, doing almost exactly what you describe. I can only imagine moisture got trapped in there with some of the wacky weather over the last few years...

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Enourmo posted:

If heat from the water is melting other glues, I'm surprised jb weld wasn't the immediate go to.

Tried JB(quick), plastic weld, and a marine. Nothing sticks to the nylon, even if I scuffed/scratched the surface up. The heat wasn't melting the other glues - they were just peeling off.

My two choices, from reading online a bit, were hot glue and Silicone II. Hot glue I guess bonds to the nylon (if it's applied hot enough) because it literally melts the surface of the nylon, if you get it above 280 C, and silicone makes a kind of crappy but better than other glue chemical bond.

I don't have any Silicone II on hand, but I do/did have some high-temp glue sticks and a cheap Aliexpress hot glue gun that gets WAY above 280 C if you put it on the "100W" (measured 60W) setting and let it sit for half an hour.

So, what I did was propped the dishwasher up so the corner with the crack was at the lowest point, let the hot glue gun heat up to above 280 C measured (confirmed by melting a piece of nylon weed whacker line against the tip of the gun), and I filled the corner with a poo poo-ton of glue so it had a nice thermal mass. I let that cool like 90% of the way, and went to peel it off. True to what I read, there was a thin layer of hot glue that had "ruined" the surface of the nylon, confirming a bond through thermal welding. So, I did it again, but this time I shut the (thankfully metal, so won't stick to the hot glue) door, and let it cool, but with the screws holding the door on loosened up a bit. This made a nice perfect gasket after I re-tightened the screws, pulling the door closer to the body of the dishwasher and slightly squeezing the hot glue.

Note: before I did all this, I tried to contact the ebay store that sold me the machine, so I could return it. Surprise surprise it was actually "skymallstore," and they stated to contact the manufacturer. The manufacturer, Ivation, doesn't even make countertop dishwashers anymore, and they haven't since 2015 from what I can tell. I must have bought post-bankruptcy skymall warehouse stock.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Beverly Cleavage posted:

The one we use(d until) now is a 4 burner, and usually have only used half at a time... with kids growing up, I could maybe make a case for another of the same size, but there's also no harm in going smaller and cooking in waves if needed. Maybe hoping I can clean a corner of the garage and store it there to help avoid some of the problems... Though that begets the problems of storing propane in an enclosed space....

I thought I was pretty good about cleaning it, doing almost exactly what you describe. I can only imagine moisture got trapped in there with some of the wacky weather over the last few years...

I kept our grill in Guam alive for 3 years (avg life was 18 months due to the salt air and humidity) by RELIGIOUSLY wiping the burner covers off woth a scraper while hot, then when cool giving them a very, very (very) light coat of oil. The drain pain got removed, washed, dried, and either sprayed with Pam or another light coat of oil. As always, clean your grates when hot and also oil them to save them as well.

It's a loving process, and a massive pain in the dick, but it kept that grill alive.

To contrast, in Cali I oiled the grates but said gently caress everything else and that thing looked brand goddamn new after 3 years.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Beverly Cleavage posted:

My grill died. Several brackets for the "heat tents" (covers the burners) rusted and broke off. With a decent tax return coming back, I've begun searching for a replacement that isn't piece of poo poo after 5 years.

What's a good, medium sized replacement? Hopefully with the drat "heat tent" things either not supported by brackets that will rust/fall off or made of stainless? I think 3 burners is sufficient.

Propane and propane related accessories only please. Don't want to break the bank, but this thing lives out doors, so must withstand the elements (Vermont...so cold/snowy/wet winters). I'm hesitant just to pay for a name because it's the most prevalent, but if there's a good case to be made, I'm open to it.

used big green egg :getin:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Seminal Flu posted:

Regardless, time to get some thoughts and prayers queued up.

https://twitter.com/SenFeinstein/status/981277492039307264

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Hot glue DOES have a real use.

I thought consumer hot glue only had two uses:

1) sticking macaroni to wooden boxes
2) creating interesting burns to your hands

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Oh God, here we go again. :rolleyes:

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

I kept our grill in Guam alive for 3 years (avg life was 18 months due to the salt air and humidity) by RELIGIOUSLY wiping the burner covers off woth a scraper while hot, then when cool giving them a very, very (very) light coat of oil. The drain pain got removed, washed, dried, and either sprayed with Pam or another light coat of oil. As always, clean your grates when hot and also oil them to save them as well.

It's a loving process, and a massive pain in the dick, but it kept that grill alive.

To contrast, in Cali I oiled the grates but said gently caress everything else and that thing looked brand goddamn new after 3 years.

I didn't clean the covers/"heat tents" but there was never much directly on the supporting hardware and that's what was lost. And usually just scrubbed the grates with the wire brush to get all particulates off, and they were in good enough shape, though some rust had started on the edges... Still, a good point. I'll have to do that moving forward. Thanks.

Beverly Cleavage fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 3, 2018

spog
Aug 7, 2004

InitialDave posted:

You'll pry my hot glue-gun from my cold, dead, hot-glued hands

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Do what you can here:

https://www.thoughtsandprayersthegame.com

Beverly Cleavage posted:

I bought a Weber Genesis LX 3 burner natural gas grill and I have loved it. Igor the stainless model. The grates are stainless steel too and it has a closed cabinet on the bottom. With all the grilling I do now with my wife’s dietary needs I’m using it two or three times a week. With the natural gas it has no problem getting up to 650+* and it is easy to cook with direct or indirect heat. Just the right amount of cooking area for a pretty good spread too.
Buy the cover. It is 100% necessity for maintaining a nice looking grill.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I bought a Weber Genesis LX 3 burner natural gas grill and I have loved it. Igor the stainless model. The grates are stainless steel too and it has a closed cabinet on the bottom. With all the grilling I do now with my wife’s dietary needs I’m using it two or three times a week. With the natural gas it has no problem getting up to 650+* and it is easy to cook with direct or indirect heat. Just the right amount of cooking area for a pretty good spread too.
Buy the cover. It is 100% necessity for maintaining a nice looking grill.

I don't know my exact model, but I've got a stainless Genesis 3 burner that I've had for about 7 years. Outside with no cover. Still looks nearly new. Some flaking of the Weber logo, other than that, nada. Quick buff up in the Spring and it sparkles. Get the stainless one with all stainless interior parts. So nice. Also, go natural gas. It's so loving convenient and so nice to never worry about propane bottles.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

Well hey if you come to NA you could attend goonmeets.

I hear there's some good Canadian ones.

I'll be damned if I'm going to set foot in the USA tho. Fuuuuuuuck no.

Rhyno posted:

Can you imagine if that's the cause?

Domestic related apparently. Female shooter fired first at a boyfriend.

Either way most gun channels know they need to get their money elsewhere (not like they are unique tho, most channels have seen revenue dive) and went the Patreon route, Demolition Ranch opened their own merch warehouse. Unless you were a Hickok45 / Rated RR / FPS Russia or Demo Ranch you werent pulling big money from Youtube to begin with.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

All I ask is for someone to invent an adhesive that works better on any actually useful substrate than it does on skin.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

InitialDave posted:

All I ask is for someone to invent an adhesive that works better on any actually useful substrate than it does on skin.

Remind me to tell you the story of how I managed to superglue a Victorian potty to my hand.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Beverly Cleavage posted:

I didn't clean the covers/"heat tents" but there was never much directly on the supporting hardware and that's what was lost. And usually just scrubbed the grates with the wire brush to get all particulates off, and they were in good enough shape, though some rust had started on the edges... Still, a good point. I'll have to do that moving forward. Thanks.

I don't know how big of a grill you need, but I've had a Weber Q for going on ten years now and just recently replaced the burner for $30. They are smaller but are built like tanks, I left mine outside for awhile with a cover but now I just keep it in the shed cuz its easy to just pick it up and move it. They are also great for outings/camping.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

InitialDave posted:

Counterpoint: superglue is more useful on skin than almost any other substrate

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

InitialDave posted:

No joke, these are actually good. Which is crazy, because almost every other "Gorilla"-brand product is complete dogshit:

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-3034502-Glue-Sticks-45Count/dp/B06X1CZWC5

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

No joke, these are actually good. Which is crazy, because almost every other "Gorilla"-brand product is complete dogshit:

I thought that said Hot Glue SNACKS at first glance.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Thanks. Don't need them, but bought them anyway... I'll use them some time!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
New coil in civic = beating it like a red headed stepchild. 500 dollar cars are best cars.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Thanks for the input guys. Those LX webers are pretty swank, but the cost is a little ouch. And because it's a HOA townhouse, I'm a little reluctant to run a hardline outside anywhere because I'm sure someone would complain.

Definitely some food for thought. Much appreciated!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

InitialDave posted:

I read a reddit deadbedroom jank about a dude thay hadnt had sex with his wife in 17 years and whenever he brought it up shed say "here we go again..." and so now that's like ingrained in my head.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

The gorilla wood glue is good stuff too

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Tomarse posted:

All I'm hearing is that somebody doesn't believe in our lord and savior, Titebond.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Thanks for the input guys. Those LX webers are pretty swank, but the cost is a little ouch. And because it's a HOA townhouse, I'm a little reluctant to run a hardline outside anywhere because I'm sure someone would complain.

Definitely some food for thought. Much appreciated!

Some hours were spent in research before getting my Weber. This included YouTube videos, bbq blogs and general googling. In Costco I trust and all and some other branded grill they had online was one that had my attention but in my research it turned out they too were garbage.
My dad bought the Weber Summit 6 burner 8 years ago and it still looks mint to this day. Get the Weber with the stainless construction like previously mentioned. The experience is worth the price of admission. They have propane versions too that you can convert later without much effort. Natural gas is bitching though. I absentmindedly roast whatever I can on it. Potatoes and veggies...basically anything that doesn’t go on the pellet smoker.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I love my 3 burner+side infrared charbroil, it's been super good to me but it's also less than a year old. Makes me look like I know what I'm doing, at any rate.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

All I'm hearing is that somebody doesn't believe in our lord and savior, Titebond.

There is only Elmer's and Probond is his messenger.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

spog posted:

Can I just say I love what you do here

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ugh god drat it I have a huge knot by my right shoulder blade.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I don't know how big of a grill you need, but I've had a Weber Q for going on ten years now and just recently replaced the burner for $30. They are smaller but are built like tanks, I left mine outside for awhile with a cover but now I just keep it in the shed cuz its easy to just pick it up and move it. They are also great for outings/camping.

So much this. I moved into a place where the owner had left the Weber Baby Q for us to use and when I moved out it was the first thing I got for myself. I don’t know what size your family is but I couldn’t see myself needing a bigger BBQ in a hurry. For the two of us + occasional guests the Baby Q is spot on. If your were regularly entertaining they do make a larger size. Aside from being built like a tank and fairly easy to clean they are super frugal on the gas. In a year of at least once a week use I didn’t even go through one 4.5kg gas bottle

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Tomarse posted:

Dead tree carcass? Sick!

Cat interceptor: one other tick in the move to Canadia column - snow rallying.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

Dead tree carcass? Sick!

BC has a thriving TSD rally scene as well as the entire Western leg of the Canadian Rally Championship within a day's drive.

The Island used to have quite a few TSD events but they seem to be dying out for lack of organizers.

http://www.rallybc.com/

BC has their poo poo together slightly better than AB when it comes to rally, not so much everything else but nothing else matters.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

IOwnCalculus posted:

Dead tree carcass? Sick!

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Did thistothat.com get posted or did I miss it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

QuarkMartial posted:

Did thistothat.com get posted or did I miss it?

Nylon is...special.

• Locked thread