Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Nickiepoo posted:

Presumably they're using the textures from MWO along with the models, in which case the work has already been done for them.

Obviously this could also be 100% false.

Black and yellow dazzle camo for everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Coldforge posted:

Is it the giant humanoid warmachines that shoot at and punch other giant warmachines?

No. Its Zellbrigen. Fight me.

:v:

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

Phrosphor posted:

From Shithawk to Shadowhawk.

Awesome! Hope the stats of the Shadowhawk still allow for that on release. I never tried this in the beta so I'm not sure whether or not this is possible, but can you slam a bunch of small lasers on a mech and have them all fire after a melee? Or will it only fire one support weapon?

And here's hoping HBS take inspiration from your thread and have Comstar throw a shithawk surprise at us, maybe in another game or with some DLC down the road.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Melee attacks fire everything.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
I'm mega hyped, but will I be able to use a timber wolf?

This is the gold standard for battletech. Doubly so for mercs.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

!amicable posted:

Nope, not unless (until) there's an expansion.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

School Nickname posted:

Awesome! Hope the stats of the Shadowhawk still allow for that on release. I never tried this in the beta so I'm not sure whether or not this is possible, but can you slam a bunch of small lasers on a mech and have them all fire after a melee? Or will it only fire one support weapon?
To a degree - Small Lasers are now a Support Weapon and can only be fitted in a Support Weapon slot; they cannot go in an Energy Weapon slot. So you cannot just go ham adding two dozen SLs to a mech.

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go

Coldforge posted:

Is it the giant humanoid warmachines that shoot at and punch other giant warmachines?

See, aside from the punching, PGI knew that much and see where it got them. There is something cool about Battletech beyond the stomping giant warmachines. That's that there is an actual good game around it.

The ghost in the TT.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

To a degree - Small Lasers are now a Support Weapon and can only be fitted in a Support Weapon slot; they cannot go in an Energy Weapon slot. So you cannot just go ham adding two dozen SLs to a mech.

Oh well, that's my MW2: Mercs strategy out the door! :downs: But yeah, seems like that melee strategy will go to town on some lights in the early game regardless, can't wait to try it.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Not if you're going to demand some ritualistic duel BS!

double riveting posted:

See, aside from the punching

Then they never really got it, did they.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Gwaihir posted:

Nope, not unless (until) there's an expansion.

Throw this game in the trash, imo

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

School Nickname posted:

Oh well, that's my MW2: Mercs strategy out the door! :downs: But yeah, seems like that melee strategy will go to town on some lights in the early game regardless, can't wait to try it.

Firestarter lance.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Coldforge posted:

Then they never really got it, did they.

'Never really getting it' is 100% PGIs thing, yes.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Mordja posted:

Throw this game in the trash, imo

Pretty much. MWO has a Timber Wolf model. It's not as sweet at the MW2 design, but it's still pretty sweet.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

!amicable posted:

Timber Wolf is a Clan 'mech, and those get introduced at least several decades after when this game is set, sorry. :shobon:

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

double riveting posted:

See, aside from the punching, PGI knew that much and see where it got them. There is something cool about Battletech beyond the stomping giant warmachines. That's that there is an actual good game around it.

The ghost in the TT.
That and something else. The attitude of the setting maybe?

Taerkar posted:

Firestarter lance.
Ugh, every Firestarter lance I've ever fought has been an enormous pain in the rear end.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Anticheese posted:

Timber Wolf is a Clan 'mech, and those get introduced at least several decades after when this game is set, sorry. :shobon:

Oh snap. In my mind the invasion/refusal never ended.

I mean, I read the gently caress out of those books and then kind of stopped plugging into the fiction.

Logical follow up: Marauders and Catapults, those are in the game? (99% sure I saw a catapult in a dev video awhile ago)
(Is there a list of 'mechs anywhere?)

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

!amicable posted:

Die Clanner.

This game takes place before the arrival of the clans so no Timby.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

!amicable posted:

I mean, I read the gently caress out of those books and then kind of stopped plugging into the fiction.

Logical follow up: Marauders and Catapults, those are in the game? (99% sure I saw a catapult in a dev video awhile ago)
(Is there a list of 'mechs anywhere?)

Marauders were, but HG is lawyering up, so they won't be (until someone mods them in).

Yes, Catapults are in.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean, it seems like someone or another is gonna mod in like every single mech, ever. So we'll get our quad mechs and everything!

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Does anybody know the total number of mechs in the game?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Axetrain posted:

Does anybody know the total number of mechs in the game?

There's a list in the second post.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Zaodai posted:

Marauders were, but HG is lawyering up, so they won't be (until someone mods them in).

Yes, Catapults are in.

Weird as heck. The Marauder is basically the jumping off point for every mech designed in the last 30 years. Isn't it in MWO?

I forgot how much legal strangeness FASA brings with it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Coldforge posted:

Nope. It's failed Piloting Skill Rolls.

Crooow!
Dec 7, 2005

Abortions for some, tiny American flags for others!
I'm so so hyped for this game that I backed it way back when aaaaaaaaaaaaaand then I find out that my laptop can't run it.

That's what I get for being hyped, I guess.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
My PC is almost certainly going to have some issues with it, I figure if it runs like total poo poo then I'll use it as an excuse to do a rebuild

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Anticheese posted:

Black and yellow dazzle camo for everyone!

You don't say?

So long as I can make them this pretty:

I will be a happy mech commander.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I played a whole bunch of the backer beta's skirmish mode so I'm confident that I'll enjoy the battles, but what's got me really excited is how solid the merc campaign looks. The basic loop of taking missions to get cash to pay your pilots and repair/upgrade your company looks really compelling, and with a good variety of missions and generally not too predictable enemy forces to go up against.

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

Drake_263 posted:

It is incredibly refreshing to see devs whose heads aren't firmly stuck up their own asses up to the goddamned sternum.
Hey now let's not get our expectations up too high.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

DarkDobe posted:

You don't say?

So long as I can make them this pretty:

I will be a happy mech commander.

Sadly it's just wishful thinking and what I'd pick if they port PGI's paintjobs across. But that would be the best thing and I would find it difficult to run any other skin.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Some interesting things from another one of the devs over on RPG.net's Btech forum.

File under in success all things are possible, but,,

(regarding allowing you to play with 12 mechs)

It has to do with the overall burden of complexity and time. that said, command of a company (three lances) on the battlefield is something i consider a very high priority for future content. That doesn't mean we'll do it, but it means I want to spend some time solving it and seeing if we can make it fun.

I have a variety of ideas for how to make it work. It is not going to be 'just like this game, only you control 12 'Mechs' because that would be Not Fun. I've been talking through the problem with the design team, though, and we have some good concepts to prototype after we launch the game.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Reminds me of how MWO went to poo poo the moment they switched from 8v8 to 12v12.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
A two lance coop campaign could well be my game of the forever.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

!amicable posted:

It's not so much that it hasn't ended as that it won't start for another two and a half decades. The setting doesn't even know the Clans exist yet.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Voyager I posted:

It's not so much that it hasn't ended as that it won't start for another two and a half decades. The setting doesn't even know the Clans exist yet.

Its also on the other side of the Sphere.

Which is good. Less Timberwolves, more Centurions :colbert:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

Reminds me of how MWO went to poo poo the moment they switched from 8v8 to 12v12.

No, MWO went to poo poo long before that. Increasing the player count wasn't such a big deal, what was a big deal was at the same time they reduced the number of people who could drop together and never address the matchmaking, which would constantly pit teams of mediums/lights against teams of heavies/assaults. On top of all that, they inadvertently kept nerfing lighter mechs and encourage people to boat on large mech, who could stomach the ghost heat penalties by using more heatsinks.

Then came the clan mechs...

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I remember one of the many nails in my MWO coffin was around 12v12 when one of their attempts at fixing matchmaking made dropping with friends a complete ballache because you could only drop in increments of full lances. If you had an extra friend he had to wait for a spot, and if someone finished for the night then the whole group was stuck until you could wrangle someone else into their spot. For a multiplayer team-based experience it was really loving lovely trying to actually play with people.

12v12 was also a terrible idea that turned all the maps that were balanced around 8v8 into chokepointy clusterfucks harkening back to the days of 32 player Dustbowl.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

This is pretty accurate in my opinion:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Back Hack posted:

No, MWO went to poo poo long before that. Increasing the player count wasn't such a big deal, what was a big deal was at the same time they reduced the number of people who could drop together and never address the matchmaking, which would constantly pit teams of mediums/lights against teams of heavies/assaults. On top of all that, they inadvertently kept nerfing lighter mechs and encourage people to boat on large mech, who could stomach the ghost heat penalties by using more heatsinks.

Then came the clan mechs...

Increasing the player count was an enormous problem because it led to an increase in the damage downfield - it significantly impacted brawling as it meant more damage received while attempting to close in, paving the way to the sniping meta, which in turn led to the addition of Ghost Heat to try and nerf PPC snipers and paradoxically loving with brawling even further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
gently caress I’d be really happy if they just let you drop with a company. But have the missions be separate maps. First your scout lance scouts and then you have an assault mission and then a base defence mission and blah. Like megameg does it basically.