Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The Moon Monster posted:

If not for the durability system you would have no reason to experience the weapon system's cornucopia of diversity like sword, big sword, and big sword with lower numbers.

I can't overstate how bad this reasoning is even in games that do have a good variety of options.

If I like your game enough, I'll eventually experiment on my own. I was like 200 hours into Dark Souls 3 before I did a strength / ultra weapons run, prior to that I was all about faster, safer weapons. And if I don't like your game, taking away the option I enjoyed the most is not going to win me over.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

so many wrong botw opinions lol

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah but... imagine a world without twitter

There's a 4-part Netflix documentary on Trump, and in the last episode we meet the man who did in fact introduce Trump to Twitter.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

precision posted:

There's a 4-part Netflix documentary on Trump, and in the last episode we meet the man who did in fact introduce Trump to Twitter.

Can Mueller investigate him too? Just for shits and giggles?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the botw weapon durability is bad for a lot of reasons. what's good though is the dlc saddle that autoteleports your horse to you and also the very good dlc armors

that's my new "bad thing good thing" style of post, please enjoy

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Propaganda Hour posted:

Can Mueller investigate him too? Just for shits and giggles?

I was amazed he didn't ask for his face to be blurred and didn't use a pseudonym.

Also, holy moses Trackmania Turbo is fun as gently caress. It's like Celeste with cars. drat good PS+ title for the month

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Shrines, which serve as the nexus of player progression, exploration/quest rewards, and dungeon gameplay are very bad at their job and in fact make botw a big turd

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I enjoyed shrines and especially the fact that I could bookmark them and fast travel to one and knock it out when I had 15 minutes to spare because I am an Adult With Limited Gaming Time and my gaming tastes have changed

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The weapon durability in BotW was one of if not the least obnoxious version of weapon durability, but it still sucked. I can understand why they did it; BotW is a game all about figuring stuff out and using all the tools the world gives and they wanted to encourage people to use as many weapons as possible so it's their way of forcing that. The problem is that if you're the type that usually doesn't try out all the weapons and switch between them, then it's just aggravating and you spend your time holding on to the weapons you really like or worrying they're going to break. Meanwhile, if you would have switched anyways, the durability still doesn't add anything. It's a system that tries to force a way of playing and if you don't want to play that way, it makes the game less fun.

Also the best Zelda game in the past 20 years is Okami, don't @ me

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Weapons breaking blasting you and the enemy away and throwing weapons to kill a dude and having them explode is cool aside from all the other less cool points

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

nachos posted:

I enjoyed shrines and especially the fact that I could bookmark them and fast travel to one and knock it out when I had 15 minutes to spare because I am an Adult With Limited Gaming Time and my gaming tastes have changed

Sad

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

shrines were good except for the combat ones and load times

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I played some sprint vector in VR today and drat that’s cool, having a VR headset is real cool

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I liked the weapon durability in BotW. And the shrines. It was a solid 100/100 game imo. Once-in-a-decade quality for sure.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

glam rock hamhock posted:

The weapon durability in BotW was one of if not the least obnoxious version of weapon durability, but it still sucked. I can understand why they did it; BotW is a game all about figuring stuff out and using all the tools the world gives and they wanted to encourage people to use as many weapons as possible so it's their way of forcing that. The problem is that if you're the type that usually doesn't try out all the weapons and switch between them, then it's just aggravating and you spend your time holding on to the weapons you really like or worrying they're going to break. Meanwhile, if you would have switched anyways, the durability still doesn't add anything. It's a system that tries to force a way of playing and if you don't want to play that way, it makes the game less fun.

Also the best Zelda game in the past 20 years is Okami, don't @ me

There's way better Zelda games. First of all Okami isn't even a Zelda game, it's developed by Capcom. Second it's the third best Capcom
Zelda game behind the other Zelda games they did make. Okami doesn't even have Zelda in the title.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Disclosure; I've never played Okami

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Motto posted:

shrines were good except for the combat ones and load times

There probably should have been fewer of them, but i guess since they were planning on having hundreds of moons in Mario they decided Zelda should get the magic number

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Okami isn't really all that much like Zelda lol, it's more of an RPG.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

In Training posted:

Disclosure; I've never played Okami

I haven't played a lot of it but you're correct that it's, at most, the third-best Capcom Zelda game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Okami is great except for the long winded cutscenes and finnicky analog stick drawing

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The durability system in BOTW is fine if you don't get hung up on stupid poo poo like killing every single monster you see when you first run into them, tho it would've been cool to have a high level feature where you can use resources (like star frags or dragon scales or something) to make weapons indestructible; late in the game the durability system is completely irrelevant because tons of monsters have good weapons, you can go anywhere to loot them from their spawns quickly, and you have the Master Sword so eventually I don't think there's any substantive harm in letting people use a katana forever if it's very important to them

The durability system in fact makes that latter thing one of the most Epic Winning power-ups in gaming history, on par with the Lordvessel in Dark Souls or the Soul of Bat in SOTN, because it fundamentally changes how you engage with and experience the game

BOTW: good

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I ran past every fight after 10 or so hours getting my fill of playing physics murder man

The actual combat is bland but the sandbox is very great, running stamina being hitler aside

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

As someone who runs past everything unless it's a JRPG I can't wait to play botw

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

My favorite part of botw is how they forgot to give ganon any ai in the final fight

My least fav part is the story cutscenes

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
When they announced that the last DLC was going to focus on the Champion's my heart sank.

I could not give less of a poo poo about those guys.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

But you get a motor cycle that you cant even enjoy without having to gas it up in the bad menu

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
You're wrong. Prince Sidon is cutest manliest fishboi and I want him to cradle me in his fins while he ravages my blue hole.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

You're wrong. Prince Sidon is cutest manliest fishboi and I want him to cradle me in his fins while he ravages my blue hole.

He's not the champion. Mipha is.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's weird to me that people bitch about grinding blood vials in Bloodborne but seem perfectly fine with grinding g good weapons in BotW. BB has such better combat than BotW it's insane but whatevs

Also Okami might be might favorite game to a degree that it's hard for me to have a reasonable conversation about it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

It's weird to me that people bitch about grinding blood vials in Bloodborne but seem perfectly fine with grinding g good weapons in BotW. BB has such better combat than BotW it's insane but whatevs

Also Okami might be might favorite game to a degree that it's hard for me to have a reasonable conversation about it

I never once had to grind for weapons in BotW. Basically the durability system was tuned tight enough that I got excited by good weapons dropping but not so tight that it was a resource to manage.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'm not really sure how you grind weapons in botw

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have bitched about both of those things

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I had more weapons than I knew what to with for pretty much the whole game.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Looper posted:

I'm not really sure how you grind weapons in botw

There's the collisium I guess?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

There's never a need to grind for weapons in BotW. I played that game for over a hundred hours and never had to do anything like that and can't imagine why you ever would.

The blood vial problem in BB usually occurs for new players that are still struggling with the combat. They get caught in a cycle of death where they use all their blood vials without accomplishing anything and have no choice but to grind more. It sticks out as a particularly bad mechanic since Dark Souls basically solved this issue with estus flasks, so for them to take a step back was baffling.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Just buy vials with your leftover echoes after you level up and never worry about it???

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Internet Kraken posted:

There's never a need to grind for weapons in BotW. I played that game for over a hundred hours and never had to do anything like that and can't imagine why you ever would.

The blood vial problem in BB usually occurs for new players that are still struggling with the combat. They get caught in a cycle of death where they use all their blood vials without accomplishing anything and have no choice but to grind more. It sticks out as a particularly bad mechanic since Dark Souls basically solved this issue with estus flasks, so for them to take a step back was baffling.

This is pretty much what happened to me. That, and getting lost frequently kinda dampened my experience with that game,

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
not having estus in bb was a pretty bad choice, bb is a pretty dang good game though

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

codenameFANGIO posted:

Just buy vials with your leftover echoes after you level up and never worry about it???

There being a non-obvious workaround doesn't mean it's good design, especially when the exact same developer making the exact same game came up with basically the perfect healing method back in Dark Souls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
In Bloodborne I liked the flexibility that having so many blood vials at once brought and I liked playing the game enough that taking the occasional 10 minutes to grind for blood vials want a thing that bothered me.

Nioh does have both in place though in that shrines will bring you have to a certain amount but you can get to have more at once. It does however add the annoyance of resetting how many elixirs shrines give you when you go to a new region, connecting getting more to a hidden collectable that you also need to grind elixirs.

Side note: I decided my favorite enemy in Nioh is the Umbrellas. They are oddly adorable

• Locked thread