Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
...expo... puts forks on plates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
There's a difference between taking Adderall for an actual condition and taking it because you like meth, but you don't want to tell people you do meth. Your km seems like the latter.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

...expo... puts forks on plates?

they make sure the food looks correct and they bring it to people at their tables.

So yeah they put forks on plates and bring food from the window to tables.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009

infiniteguest posted:

I’ve brined them before in a salt solution and also an spl solution.

Forgot to ask ya more on this. What is an spl solution? My google-fu didn't turn anything up. Almost every day we cut two 50-lb boxes of russets that fill up one of those standard size big rear end kitchen (TM) buckets/cans. We cut them in the afternoon (~3) and par fry them in in the morning (~10). So roughly 19 hours of brining if we were to keep the schedule the same. We do have at least one of those buckets with a valve at the bottom for drainage if /that is too long of a brine. Do you know the ideal salt/water %? Was it worth it?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Holy piss it’s night of the campers tonight.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

empty whippet box posted:

they make sure the food looks correct and they bring it to people at their tables.

My restaurant has three expo positions any given shift and I’ve been doing this for 16 years and not only is that not a phrase I’ve ever heard, it’s also really gross sounding.

Also, Expos don’t run food short of an emergency.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

empty whippet box posted:

Yea we’re all gonna be on your side in that it’s a dick move to say how easy somebody else’s job is, but look at what you’re saying. There really is no “easy” job in a restaurant. Expo is stressful as hell. They’re “only” responsible for literally every plate that leaves the kitchen.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Mezzanon posted:

Holy piss it’s night of the campers tonight.

gently caress campers. Especially gently caress campers who I squeezed in on a Sat night with the explicit condition of "The only opening I have is booked up at 7:30, I would have to have the table back by then."

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

The Maestro posted:

Yea we’re all gonna be on your side in that it’s a dick move to say how easy somebody else’s job is, but look at what you’re saying. There really is no “easy” job in a restaurant. Expo is stressful as hell. They’re “only” responsible for literally every plate that leaves the kitchen.

i think that was their point

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Maestro posted:

This was actually my point, it was the unfair, inaccurate reduction of a person's job into what an idiot thinks they do that sounds easy to them.

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god

odinson posted:

Forgot to ask ya more on this. What is an spl solution? My google-fu didn't turn anything up. Almost every day we cut two 50-lb boxes of russets that fill up one of those standard size big rear end kitchen (TM) buckets/cans. We cut them in the afternoon (~3) and par fry them in in the morning (~10). So roughly 19 hours of brining if we were to keep the schedule the same. We do have at least one of those buckets with a valve at the bottom for drainage if /that is too long of a brine. Do you know the ideal salt/water %? Was it worth it?

Sp-l is an enzyme used to break down glutinous proteins or calcium or some other food wizardry nonsense. Soaking fries in it at a specific ratio (google sp-l fries for the Dave Arnold explanation) creates a fluffier fry with a creamy, homogenous interior.

Brining fries seasons them so they taste like o-Rida or McDonald’s fries without using commodity potato garbage. I don’t know the ratio off the top of my head but the water should taste seasoned and not salty. (I.e. salty but not undrinkably so like seawater or blanching water) Best bet is to measure your water by volume and weigh out a box of salt. Add salt to taste and weigh the box of salt again. The difference is the starting measurement for future tests and refinements.

Right now I buy Simplot brand MEGACRUNCH fries with glutinous crunch coating. They have a selection of different cuts (thunder crunch is the best) and most major dry goods purveyors carry them. Make sure you store them frozen though or they all clump together.

Edit: brining time was always “about a day”. We’d brine fries before service to blanch the next day, then store them frozen on sheet trays or transfer into fish tubs (does everyone use those?) after they are hard enough to pile on top of each other.

infiniteguest fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 5, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
This is Pectinex SPL, it's mainly used to dissolve solids in fruits but you can use it to texturize fries:
https://www.modernistpantry.com/pectinex-ultra-spl.html

Dave Arnold's French Fry Supremacy Part 1:
http://www.cookingissues.com/2010/04/27/the-quest-for-french-fry-supremacy-part-1/index.html

Dave Arnold's French Fry Supremacy Part 2:
http://www.cookingissues.com/index.html%3Fp=4043.html

He has since said on his podcast that he now favors a 1/2 inch fry instead of the 3/8 in the Cooking Issues posts, but hasn't published whether there are any recipe adjustments yet. I assume he's saving them for his next book, which is coming a jillion years from now

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
How do you get a crunch on sweet potato fries? Some places manage to do it, and it's magical while it lasts. I adore sweet potato fries, but it's like 50/50 on getting crunchy magic or limp floppy ones (which are still good).

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Anything fried isn't go in to have any kind of crunch after 5 minutes or so

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

How do you get a crunch on sweet potato fries? Some places manage to do it, and it's magical while it lasts. I adore sweet potato fries, but it's like 50/50 on getting crunchy magic or limp floppy ones (which are still good).

Egg white and potato or corn starch slurry, iqf 'em, fry from frozen.

Or just buy Simplot sweet potato fries like everyone else.

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god
Sweet potato fries are a weird thing that I tend to prefer confit and hard roasted with butter, like an old school chicken Vesuvio potato.

Also sweet potato fries are gross and nobody should serve them. 🙃

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

infiniteguest posted:

I concur.

I may have made a mistake with this beet salad, it's kind of a pain to prep. Roasted red wedges, pickled red dice, roasted yellow wedge, fermented yellow chunks, chevre mousse, hazelnut praline, turnip mostarda. Baby chiogga coins and blood orange vin outside the room.

The real pain is keeping enough fermented rolling since I only have 3 fermenting buckets for now.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

infiniteguest posted:

drat you're just full of poo poo opinions.

Double frying also gets them crispy.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

infiniteguest posted:

Sweet potato fries are a weird thing that I tend to prefer confit and hard roasted with butter, like an old school chicken Vesuvio potato.

I heartily disagree. If I see sweet potato fries on a menu, I'm ordering them, even if they're extra.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sweet potato fries, while not my cup of tea, are nothing to get all upset over.

Like well done steaks.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I like them shoestring style with a sprinkling of sugar and salt.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

iospace posted:

Sweet potato fries, while not my cup of tea, are nothing to get all upset over.

Like well done steaks.

its actually pretty upsetting how hard it can be to order a porkchop medium rare

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Wroughtirony posted:

I like them shoestring style with a sprinkling of sugar and salt.

Brown sugar, and a pinch of allspice. Then they're tolerable. Still not as good as Real Fries though.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I loving loathe sweetened sweet potatoes. Dust ‘em in say, cumin and coriander and plenty of sea salt and give me like harissa or an herbed yogurt or something spicy to dip in.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Suspect Bucket posted:

I heartily disagree. If I see sweet potato fries on a menu, I'm ordering them, even if they're extra.

maybe he's only had them at those places that cover sweet potato fries in sugar?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

The real pain is keeping enough fermented rolling since I only have 3 fermenting buckets for now.

I ferment stuff in 22qt cambros all the time, just make sure you have enough brine for everything to be submerged and fill a 2 gallon Ziploc with water or more brine and put it on top, the mushy water filled plastic doubles a weight and an airlock.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Tunicate posted:

maybe he's only had them at those places that cover sweet potato fries in sugar?

Heck no. Salted, with sides of ketchup, hot sauce, and chocolate sauce. Alternate sauces between fries (but don't mix dips). But with just salt and ketchup is fine as well. The best I ever had was French Fry Heaven, which was the chicken and waffle fries. They topped them with chicken salt and drizzled with real maple syrup. The savory/salty thing is great.

But I accept that my tastes in this particular item is weird, and understand your aversion.

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god
Anyone who likes sweet potato fries is stupid.

Anyone who hates on well done meat has never had proper bbq or pekin Duck.

One of these statements is false.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The pub where I was washing dishes last year apparently hasn't had a dishwasher last a week since I got laid off. I'm applying for my old job again, and if the 'chef' doesn't loving want to hire me I'm just going to talk to the owner, and then probably laugh my way onto the schedule. Talking to the cooks and FoH people made it real clear they want me back.

Time to be the guy keeping that loving madhouse together again. Hopefully. The at-cost drinks made me a happy man after work every day.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
The Restaurant Industry Thread: chronicling one man's approximately twenty people's slide info near-functional alcoholism

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So our sinks have drains that can be a little finicky. Even the best of them really don't drain unless you stick something into the drain and prop it open to let it flow. Annoying but not a huge deal. It's worth noting that nothing can go down the drain except butterknives. Nothing else will fit. So just use something else, or if you DO have to use a butterknife be careful 'cause if it goes down the drain it ain't comin back up.

Went in today for my 9-2 dishwashing shift. As soon as I get there I'm told 'hey, there's a hole in the drain pipe under the sinks, plumbers are on the way, you'll have to use the other sink for now.' Oooookay? What? A loving hole in the pipe? How? Why?

Someone had tried to drain one of the sinks the normal way, with the handle underneath it. The mechanism, this time, put downward pressure on the 13 - yes, THIRTEEN - butter knives that were down in the drain, and it exploded the pvc pipe drain, flooding the dishpit and other parts of the kitchen.

OOOOOOkay, so I did dishes on the other sink for a while. The plumbers get there and start working. They fix the sink that had 13 knives in it. Then they take the other drain pipe off to check it and find 8. More. Knives. Crammed into it.

This was why our loving drains were finicky. Because an evening dishwasher had put a total of 24 knives(a manager had managed to fish 3 out of the one with 8 in it a few days ago) down the drain by using them to open the drain and accidentally dropping them down. This person did this TWENTY FOUR TIMES in the last month and a half.

:psyduck:

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
... the gently caress even?

Canuck-Errant posted:

The Restaurant Industry Thread: chronicling one man's approximately twenty people's slide info near-functional alcoholism

Oh buddy, if you think it's gonna be near-functional you're either kidding yourself, or hopelessly naive and optimistic.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Dude/dudette, I have seen some poo poo during my tour of duty on dish, and... I'm sorry for your pain, but I am truly lmfao over here. Holy crap, I thought it was bad when privates would let spoons drown in the pots, so I'd unknowingly dump pots out and only realize a spoon was in there when the garbage disposal starting screaming like Mechagodzilla. How in the holy gently caress do you let 24 knives go down th--- my brain is seriously shutting off just considering this.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

This is now my favourite story.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

pile of brown posted:

I ferment stuff in 22qt cambros all the time, just make sure you have enough brine for everything to be submerged and fill a 2 gallon Ziploc with water or more brine and put it on top, the mushy water filled plastic doubles a weight and an airlock.

I know I could do that, but we have a HACCP and variance from the city for the manufacture and sale of fermented fruits/veg. I have to use fermenting buckets and log everything properly.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Dude/dudette, I have seen some poo poo during my tour of duty on dish, and... I'm sorry for your pain, but I am truly lmfao over here. Holy crap, I thought it was bad when privates would let spoons drown in the pots, so I'd unknowingly dump pots out and only realize a spoon was in there when the garbage disposal starting screaming like Mechagodzilla. How in the holy gently caress do you let 24 knives go down th--- my brain is seriously shutting off just considering this.

It's like Charlie shoving cats into a wall.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MohawkSatan posted:

... the gently caress even?

Oh buddy, if you think it's gonna be near-functional you're either kidding yourself, or hopelessly naive and optimistic.

If people are still getting the food they ordered you can call it functional.

The sad part is there are so many sober cooks and servers who can't manage that.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I know I could do that, but we have a HACCP and variance from the city for the manufacture and sale of fermented fruits/veg. I have to use fermenting buckets and log everything properly.

that sounds tedious and irritating

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

pile of brown posted:

Sure beats accidentally killing someone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

pile of brown posted:

Not really, only need to write in the log at start and finish. Not nearly as bad as our daily temp logs, buffet logs, ROP logs, sous vide logs, etc. And once we get charcuterie rolling, that will be a giant pain in my rear end.