Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
My big objection to gems were a) they didn't do anything interesting or exciting, and b) a lot of the paid gems were objectively better versions of other gems so they were literally pay to win upgrades.

Gougi are different in that they're big and stupid and most of them actively change the way you play rather than being passive buffs to a number, and getting them to proc is a little more involved depending on the ability.

They also weren't designed to be pay-to-win items but they're trying to address price concerns in a really boneheaded way... essentially, westerners told them to price the game at $40, their business guy told them they couldn't turn a profit unless they sold at $60, so they ended up deciding on two SKUs with the only real differentiator being the number of gougi because this game is literally just characters and gougi and that seems like the least punitive way to differentiate between the two SKUs.

I feel for them but this poo poo is being birthed to die.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah. The very existence of the a "split" is probably going to hurt them more financially than a 60 dollar price point ever would.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

What are the differences between the two? One just has less gems/gougi?

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Light version will have 12 characters and 5 gougi decks
Regular version will have 13 characters (Hokuto) and 15 gougi decks

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its gonna be fun even with only super armor invisibility and unlimited meter

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

RIP FEXL. Dead before it even lived.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ_YeS47uoA

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
What's up with her belt?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Does FEXL have autoblock gems like SFxT?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

SNK is loving rad. Can't remember the last time I was 100% happy with all the DLC characters in a fighting game but by god they really are 8 for 8 with the selections.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Broken Loose posted:

Does FEXL have autoblock gems like SFxT?

Not that we know of

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Hahah is it true? Are E-League putting Low Tier God in a dumb reality web show or something along with Gllty and whoever else they can convince into going on it? Like this poo poo didn't blow up in everyone's faces with SFxT and literally become a trash fire in a matter of days?

Let's get Noel Brown in there too. Whats he doing lately?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

putting gllty together with a bunch of loudly transphobic guys seems like a really e-sports idea

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
If they wanted to just go balls deep in a bad idea, they should have also invited DSP.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

NecroMonster posted:

putting gllty together with a bunch of loudly transphobic guys seems like a really e-sports idea

richard lewis

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

MechaX posted:

If they wanted to just go balls deep in a bad idea, they should have also invited DSP.

I still want to see DSP and LTG in the same room at some point.

I swear, it's either never gonna happen because they are somehow the same person wearing an extremely elaborate set of disguises or as soon as those two get too close to each other the whole universe will implode on itself.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
best LTG moment was getting backed the gently caress out by Viscant in a first to 10

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Add DSP and Marn and I would be all in.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Shoenin posted:

best LTG moment was getting backed the gently caress out by Viscant in a first to 10

I love that set because you can clearly see Viscant learning how to play SF4 again as it goes on. Also LTG got wrecked verbally too.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Shiki Dan posted:

Add DSP and Marn and I would be all in.

LTG and DSP is one thing but too much Marn might actually make me vomit.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I saw Marn for the first time in ages on one of the Norcal Regional streams, dude's turned into Vietnamese Steve Bannon

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I saw Marn for the first time in ages on one of the Norcal Regional streams, dude's turned into Vietnamese Steve Bannon

Him showing up at the fexl event made me almost turn the stream off.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
honestly as long as they let you upgrade from the $40 version of FEXL to the $60 version somehow (either by a flat $20 payment or buying the remaining 10 gougi decks individually for $2 each) it should be fine. Rainbow Six Siege has a similar pricing structure and is doing fine over in FPS-land.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Siege was a trash fire at launch and managed to survive with extensive continued community & comment support from Ubi that lead to good word of mouth.

NecroMonster posted:

Who else is loudly transphobic. I have no idea who most of these people are.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 6, 2018

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I feel like I shouldn't expect much but has Capcom commented on whether the SF Collection will support that Skullgirls driver for PS3 sticks?

fwiw, they did patch SFV AE pretty quickly when the initial update borked stick support. It never worked as well as it did on, say, MKXL (which was basically plug & play), but at least the support was there. I haven't played USFIV on PS4; anyone know how/if support is on that?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Get a new pcb instead of all these bad capcom games imo

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The way they've brushed off questions about it (and Mike Z's loud whining on twitter) makes me think it won't have legacy stick support.

MvCI doesn't have it either, I think Capcom just stopped giving a gently caress.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Is UNIST eventually coming to PC? What about BBXTAG?

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

Is UNIST eventually coming to PC? What about BBXTAG?

No, yes

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

:hfive: I'm still chuckling at this.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Lame, eh I guess that's fine.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
it took uniel about a year after the us console release to be on PC, and the devs have basically went :shrug: when asked about it, so the answer is a big "maybe"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I hope the speed issue is fixed for the SF Collection by launch. I should be surprised at Capcom potentially loving up such an easy layup but everything for them is either a complete disaster (all their fighting games) or a success (MonHun, RE), there's no middle ground anymore.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

darealkooky posted:

it took uniel about a year after the us console release to be on PC, and the devs have basically went :shrug: when asked about it, so the answer is a big "maybe"

I was gonna say they weren't going to bother since uniel kind of sold like booty on steam due to being released after unibest got announced

but then I checked and it actually sold like 35k which is pretty good most things considering

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

DLC Inc posted:

I hope the speed issue is fixed for the SF Collection by launch. I should be surprised at Capcom potentially loving up such an easy layup but everything for them is either a complete disaster (all their fighting games) or a success (MonHun, RE), there's no middle ground anymore.

What's the problem with SF Collection? Is the framerate wonky?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

superstepa posted:

What's the problem with SF Collection? Is the framerate wonky?

Actual game speed is too fast.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Got some ArcSystem games for pc recently (haven't played anything in the genre since SF2 on the SNES launch and their tutorial/challenge stuff is pretty decent for onboarding) and am wondering if there's a reason - besides platform holders being lovely maybe? - they don't pool platform playerpools together for their online stuff. The populations for anything that isn't SF seem to diminish pretty quickly anyway. Significant edition/version missmatch maybe? Cheating considerations?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Got some ArcSystem games for pc recently (haven't played anything in the genre since SF2 on the SNES launch and their tutorial/challenge stuff is pretty decent for onboarding) and am wondering if there's a reason - besides platform holders being lovely maybe? - they don't pool platform playerpools together for their online stuff. The populations for anything that isn't SF seem to diminish pretty quickly anyway. Significant edition/version missmatch maybe? Cheating considerations?
You mean cross-platform multiplayer? It's possible, but there are a lot of barriers that developers have to jump to make it work:
  • Building your own cross-platform multiplayer network instead of relying on the platform holder's (ie. Psyonix's Rocket League network). This is hard and also probably pretty expensive. Capcom tried, but I don't think anyone could call them successful, per-se.
  • Synchronising patches across multiple platforms, multiple approval processes etc. is kind of a bureaucratic nightmare.
  • PCs all have varying specs which can really throw a wrench in the works.
  • Sony actively, violently refuses to let PS4 and Xbox players play together because mumble mumble children mumble, so you have to throw up artificial barriers between the two major consoles which kind of kills most of the point for fighting games, really.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Aww, i kind of figured it was something along those lines. Bummer, that seemed like a genre where most aspects could be kept at parity independent of the platform. I guess most FGs have a main platform (gonna guess ps4?) these days and are pretty barren outside of that?

not that me and my dozen hours of learning the control basics wouldn't get eaten alive in any pvp context, but still

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Yeah, i kind of figured it was something along those lines. Bummer, that seemed like a genre where most aspects could be kept at parity independent of the platform. I guess most FGs have a main platform (gonna guess ps4?) these days and are pretty barren outside of that?

Pc and ps4 are big.