Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

Apple's got some 2012 13-inch Classic MBPs in the refurb store right now. Which seems real fuckin weird to me

they kept selling those into the education market and some weirdo businesses for many years. it was the last device they sold that had an optical drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
i want timb to release a mac pro that is clearly just a janky hackintosh with the Dell logo covered by an apple sticker

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i want apple to start selling rebranded clevo/sager laptops like system 76 does

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The Management posted:

they kept selling those into the education market and some weirdo businesses for many years. it was the last device they sold that had an optical drive.

they're also the last ones with real firewire ports. a lot of pro-audio people were screwed when they dropped them since the thunderbolt adapters don't provide phantom power

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

The Management posted:

reading the article I am now convinced that they are going to royally gently caress up the new Mac Pro and miss the entire point of everything people have been yelling about for years.

make a loving next gen cheese grater you stupid assholes. gently caress.

work your contacts if you haven’t burned any bridges

(I have no knowledge or insight etc. I’m just saying if you care, be vocal about what you think)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

rjmccall posted:

why would you do serious cad work without a mouse anyway, it's not like that wouldn't equally suck on a pc laptop

yeah like my first thought was “dude just get a Sun Type 6 USB mouse and live the three-button lifestyle”

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
i want the new mac pro to be designed out of pure spite. the cpu socket will fit standard off the shelf xeons but it will fry both the board and cpu if you put one in it because it's not LGA2066, no sir; it's LGA2066a and it's not keyed any differently.

same goes for the cpu fan header, psu, m.2, memory, and pci express slots, all the same pin count and connectors, all artificially electrically incompatible.

the only compatible video cards will be quadro and firepro cards that will cost a couple hundred more than the already-padded price of the regular pc ones, because gently caress you. the cheapest card will be rebadged $350 gt610.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

this drat plug

even apple only ever made one single goddamn 14" monitor that actually used it but it was on all the 1st gen powerpc macs.

that was originally intended for the Quadra 660AV and Quadra 840AV, I think there was also a 17in multisync version intended for the Quadra 840AV (and no, I’m not thinking of the Multiple Scan 17AV)

I got one of those 14in monitors from a friend back in 1998-99 and stuck it on the PowerMac 7100/66 that I was using as a NAT, the speakers were loving boss and the Trinitron screen looked great though it was 640×480 only, and the software brightness/volume/etc. was cool too

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Laslow posted:

i want the new mac pro to be designed out of pure spite. the cpu socket will fit standard off the shelf xeons but it will fry both the board and cpu if you put one in it because it's not LGA2066, no sir; it's LGA2066a and it's not keyed any differently.

same goes for the cpu fan header, psu, m.2, memory, and pci express slots, all the same pin count and connectors, all artificially electrically incompatible.

the only compatible video cards will be quadro and firepro cards that will cost a couple hundred more than the already-padded price of the regular pc ones, because gently caress you. the cheapest card will be rebadged $350 gt610.

“uh why does this pin have AC line voltage going to it”

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

The Management posted:

my girlfriend is unfucking the Mac IT situation at her company. Previously it was taken care of by Windows people who just kept buying those models refurb, and when people complained it was getting slow, they shoved an SSD in there.

They were doing this for over 5 years.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

“uh why does this pin have AC line voltage going to it”

“it doesn’t, you missed the diode ladder

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

eschaton posted:

work your contacts if you haven’t burned any bridges

(I have no knowledge or insight etc. I’m just saying if you care, be vocal about what you think)

lol if you think me or anyone I know has any ability to influence product decisions. literally the most effective thing I could do is write marco arment and inspire him to complain.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

yeah like my first thought was “dude just get a Sun Type 6 USB mouse and live the three-button lifestyle”

these were not great mice btw

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Laslow posted:

this, but it will be firepro only because apple has a vendetta against nvidia

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

a new trashcan, but the top part has an integrated touch thing so u can dj in a circle on the lid as a means of input for logic pro

work flow design

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
combination trashcan-homepod

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this, but it will be firepro only because apple has a vendetta against nvidia
ah yes, bumpgate.

never forgive, never forget.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

They could do so many cool things with a plain old cheese grater tower form factor it fills me with rage to know that it will never happen :argh:

For instance they could start selling PCIe ARM daughterboards stuffed full of A11 chips to let you compile and run native arm code once that platform migration project gets off the ground.

It was the last Apple computer to have an actual functional cooling solution, too :(

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

these were not great mice btw

I use one on my Linux box with my Type 7 UNIX keyboard, it’s fine

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

rjmccall posted:

why would you do serious cad work without a mouse anyway, it's not like that wouldn't equally suck on a pc laptop

it would be so unthinkable to even try this on any pc touchpad. the mac trackpad is so good the students don’t even realize they should use a mouse.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
real pro machine should run x86 AND arm64 at the same time

i dont care how impossible it is just make it happen

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
[img]https://i.imgur.com/2NrWHXn.png][/img]

So you want a realistic down-to-earth computer that's completely off the wall and swarming with magic robots?

Laslow fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Apr 6, 2018

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

r u ready to WALK posted:

They could do so many cool things with a plain old cheese grater tower form factor it fills me with rage to know that it will never happen :argh:

it really is a pleasure to work on smh. to upgrade the cpu you literally just need about 5 minutes and an allen kay; you don't even need to hunch over the computer to do it, just whip the tray out and put it on a table. apple are better at making featureless hunks of aluminium but i think most of the reason apple diehards are apple diehards is because their computers actually featured... features that showed they were really thinking about how an actual human being would use the product. poo poo like magsafe. i'm too young/poor to have used the translucent plastic ibook so i've no idea how useful it was in practice but that handle was sure as gently caress a cool idea too

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

lol that article

quote:

"“We know that there’s a lot of customers today that are making purchase decisions on the iMac Pro and whether or not they should wait for the Mac Pro,” says Boger.

This is why Apple wants to be as explicit as possible now, so that if institutional buyers or other large customers are waiting to spend budget on, say iMac Pros or other machines, they should pull the trigger without worry that a Mac Pro might appear late in the purchasing year.

people weren't buying our lovely solution because they were hoping for something better. we must kill that hope.

quote:

But on Tuesday I also got a tour of the editing suites where Mac hardware and software is pushed to the limits, including extensive use of eGPU support, and a different vision emerges.

First, we visit the room where they record new instruments for Logic and Garage Band and then on to an edit bay used by the Pro Workflow Team to put Final Cut Pro through its paces.

Throughout, the idea of modularity was omnipresent. An iMac Pro with two iPad Pros hooked up to it allows for direct control, shortcuts and live access to the Logic manual, all while you’re mixing a song on the main device: an eGPU with a MacBook Pro running a live edit of an 8K stream with color grading and effects applied.

External GPUs plugged into MacBook Pros, in my opinion, is going to be an enormous shift in the way that people think about portables. I got a live demo of a graphics stress test running on a MacBook Pro natively, then on one and then two external GPUs. The switching is nearly seamless, depending on the age of the app, and some modern rendering software can use all three in concert. It’s one of those things that works exactly the way you think it would, and it leans heavily on Thunderbolt 3.

Whether that informs the shape of individual machines in Apple’s future lineup I don’t know, but it’s certainly the way Apple is looking at the pro ecosystem. It’s not just MacBook Pro, iMac Pro, Mac Pro — it’s the enabling force of eGPUs, it’s iPad Pros as input devices, purpose-built extensions and portable workstations.

Let's see...
iMac Pro - $5k
2x iPads Pro - $1.1k
mbp (touchbar because you need the extra thunderbolt ports) - $1.8k
workstation class eGPU - $1.8k for a P5000 + $200 for powered eGPU enclosure

$10k minimum for that setup, nearly all of it going to apple for apple hardware. yes I can see why apple likes this vision.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Generic Monk posted:

it really is a pleasure to work on smh. to upgrade the cpu you literally just need about 5 minutes and an allen kay; you don't even need to hunch over the computer to do it, just whip the tray out and put it on a table. apple are better at making featureless hunks of aluminium but i think most of the reason apple diehards are apple diehards is because their computers actually featured... features that showed they were really thinking about how an actual human being would use the product. poo poo like magsafe. i'm too young/poor to have used the translucent plastic ibook so i've no idea how useful it was in practice but that handle was sure as gently caress a cool idea too

i can emphasize with apple, i mean people who upgrade computers don't buy new computers, and buying new computers makes you money.

i like money, and as such, i can emphasize

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Boiled Water posted:

i can emphasize with apple, i mean people who upgrade computers don't buy new computers, and buying new computers makes you money.

i like money, and as such, i can emphasize

i think the pro market has voted with their wallets in this instance, in that if they can't buy a model of apple computer that suits their needs, they just won't buy an apple computer. i think what we're seeing now is tim cook's strategy of 'make a featureless hunk of aluminium that prints money' running up against a brick wall since the choice is either 'make something that this market actually wants to use and make a small amount of money' or 'make the featureless trashcan again which according to all our consumer products should print money, but doesn't make any money because no one wants to buy it'.

the leadership has shown time and again that they aren't interested in anything that doesn't make a shitload of money, and i'm pretty certain this product would have gone the way of their wifi routers if not for a) the tech press going on about it constantly and b) there almost certainly being a considerable number of people within apple who develop for and work on macs that would really like this to happen. most likely unless timb has a spiritual epiphany, even if the product that everyone wants actually gets made (which is just a loving mac with pci slots, come on) its existence will likely have to be rejustified quarterly until the end of recorded time.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

apple's modern direction is either the true meaning of or a complete abandonment of their philosophy of "make the products we would want to use ourselves" and i'm not sure which is worse

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

eschaton posted:

fuuuuck they used these in the library in my city centre growing up, along with some weird all-in-one... things that ran cde and netscape iirc. i'm never going to find out what those things were

building looked like this also. was so lit. yes it was as depressing and ill-maintained as you'd think inside, but i still think it's a looker

carry on then posted:

apple's modern direction is either the true meaning of or a complete abandonment of their philosophy of "make the products we would want to use ourselves" and i'm not sure which is worse

it's the former - the ipads are great, the iphones (size notwithstanding) are great. the partician 'you know what's best for you' attitude works well when you have more or less proven that you know what the consumer market wants more than the market itself knows. it's just that the people in charge of design and the people with the balance sheet are more than likely not going to be using pro desktops, but they're the ones holding all the cards and thinking 'why would anyone buy a tower computer in 2018? it's so ugly and it doesn't even make us that much money'. jony needs to eat a gigantic slice of deep-dish humble pie if he still keeps wanting to use that 'design isn't how it looks, design is how it works' line.

all this 'pro workflow research' stuff just seems like a protracted, multimillion-dollar exercise in which these people attempt to convince themselves by any means possible that what this market actually wants isn't just a desktop mac with pci slots

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 6, 2018

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
“I’m proud to introduce the new revolutionary Mac Pro with a stylish, state of the art new form factor made with genuine ground up skeletons of holocaust victims!”

*dead silence*

“And one more thing, it has a PCI slot!”

*THERMONUCLEAR EXPLOSION OF APPLAUSE*

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
but it's modular guys, just buy ten billion 3rd party peripherals made by one of three companies that may or may not work to any particular degree with the hardware you plan to use and will forever cost a fortune because the exist solely for this one specific niche workstation product

timb has seen the future and it's a desk covered in boxes and cables

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

infernal machines posted:

timb has seen the future and it's a desk covered in boxes and cables
:wrong:

its printers

quote:

SAN FRANCISCO—Following the resignation of Apple founder Steve Jobs, incoming CEO Tim Cook called a meeting of shareholders and members of the press Thursday morning to announce that he envisioned printers as the company’s future. “Laser, ink-jet, double-sided, color, black-and-white—the future of technology is in printers. I am absolutely convinced of that,” Cook explained to a packed auditorium as a montage of printers and people using printers played on a screen behind him. “What is the one thing people will always need? It’s obvious: printers. Printers with fax machines attached, printers that collate and staple, perhaps a printer that makes photocopies. Anything’s possible. It’s called innovation.” Cook concluded his remarks by assuring investors the release of upcoming Apple products such as the iPhone 5 would be postponed for at least four years so the company could throw all its time and resources into the creation of high-quality printers for the home and office.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Laslow posted:

“I’m proud to introduce the new revolutionary Mac Pro with a stylish, state of the art new form factor made with genuine ground up skeletons of holocaust victims!”

FUD; dust near apple products renders them nonfunctional. you know this

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I think you'll all find that a disgusting rat's nest of cables and enclosures fits right in to apple's famed elegant design philosophy

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I think you'll all find that a disgusting rat's nest of cables and enclosures fits right in to apple's famed elegant design philosophy

i do have to imagine that the desk of everyone who uses the 2013 pro for work looks like kurt 'tentacle hentai' eichenwald's downloads folder

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
jony is lost in design wankery and needs someone to ground him. Phil’s job is to make products people want to buy, and he’s failing at it in the Mac Pro.

the truth is that the cheesegraters never sold very well. they sold some. but they weren’t updated often and they were very expensive. having 30 pounds of milled aluminum or overengineered slots in there didn’t help that.

95% of people would be extremely happy with a black box under their desk that had high end CPUs, lots of ram, pci slots, storage bays, and some real cooling. it doesn’t need to look pretty. it doesn’t need to be small. it doesn’t need to be modular. it just needs to run macOS and be easily upgradable.

there’s always been demand for a mid-range tower, that’s not a $9000 workstation but also not a Mac mini constrained laptop in a box. just make it already and it would sell much better than the cheesegraters ever did and certainly better than the trash cans.

I think I just talked myself into a hackintosh. gently caress.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the challenge isn't "can apple make it?" it's "can apple make it and still get a 30% profit on it?" or "can apple make a lower margin mac without cannibalizing their high margin business?"

apple is a fluke, every other computer company has like 3% margins but they got used to everyhting making them tons and tons of money so now it's their guiding principle

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Generic Monk posted:

i do have to imagine that the desk of everyone who uses the 2013 pro for work looks like kurt 'tentacle hentai' eichenwald's downloads folder

same but 2017

2 monitors, power, USB-C to USB adapter to powered USB hub with wired keyboard and Logitech dongle.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qirex posted:

the challenge isn't "can apple make it?" it's "can apple make it and still get a 30% profit on it?" or "can apple make a lower margin mac without cannibalizing their high margin business?"

apple is a fluke, every other computer company has like 3% margins but they got used to everyhting making them tons and tons of money so now it's their guiding principle

apple could price a midtower at whatever they want, look at their laptop pricing

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

The Management posted:

I think I just talked myself into a hackintosh. gently caress.

:rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

I use one on my Linux box with my Type 7 UNIX keyboard, it’s fine

you are a masochist

the keyboard and the mouse both sucked. yeah sun unix layout is good and cool, but they made a lot of bad, bad, bad keyboards.

the type 4 was merely ok and it was all downhill from there