Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazycello
Jul 22, 2009
Fish oil has been clearly demonstrated to have anti inflammatory properties and help with lipid profiles. Whether that benefit is clinical significant to your sore fingers is going to vary between individuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Two year project is finished. Finally finished resonated in Eldo. Used the original compression beta.

Powerful and cruxy.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

ManMythLegend posted:

Similar to this post but (anecdotally for sure) back when I was lifting regularly, and now that I'm climbing regularly, I've found that taking fish oil and turmeric daily has kept a lot of joint pain at bay.

It's still no substitute for proper stretching and warm up though.

how much fish oil do you take daily for this to have an obvious effect

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Verviticus posted:

3 pills twice a day is a pretty common dosage for weight lifters. That's typically twice what the bottle suggests.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

gamera009 posted:

Two year project is finished. Finally finished resonated in Eldo. Used the original compression beta.

Powerful and cruxy.

:discourse:

Nice work!

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Verviticus posted:

Right now I'm taking 1 twice a day. I'm phone posting right now so I don't remember the dosage off the top of my head.

E: Mine's 1200mg per capsule.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 24, 2018

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

gamera009 posted:

Powerful and cruxy.

Nice!!

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

gamera009 posted:

Powerful and cruxy.

Fuckin' sick.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Jim Carey free solos and feeds a baby bird mid climb in Ace Ventura 2. He also kept a monkey in his chalk bag. I don't think anyone can ever top a feat...

Edit: goddamn this movie is racist as gently caress

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 28, 2018

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

22 year old woman from Chicago died trad climbing at Devil's Lake.

Sound_man
Aug 25, 2004
Rocking to the 80s

Hot Diggity! posted:

22 year old woman from Chicago died trad climbing at Devil's Lake.

I've only top roped at the lake, I have a trip planned for mid April and was thinking about trying to lead a few of the easier routes. News like that is a reminder of how sharp the sharp end is at the lake. The ground is always close and the pro can be if at best. We'll see where my head is at when I get there.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

gamera009 posted:

Powerful and cruxy.

I really envy people who can do bouldering well, especially outdoors. I'm having trouble getting beyond V3 indoors (problems: not climbing often enough, bouldering even less often, being relatively new to climbing and being an old), let alone doing insane V8+ outdoor stuff over a river bed.

And gearing up for this season: I've said it before, but I'm looking to start to learn trad leading. Plan is to practice gear placement on top rope on a variety of easy routes (say, 5.4 or less) before trying to lead them. Will stick to single-pitch routes for now, probably shortish ones, and on passive gear only--I don't have cam money yet. I may go a little harder if I and my partners feel confident enough in my placement skills, but we'll see. And yes, I do have trad-leading partners who will be guiding me. Other than that, I'm looking to improve my sport skills: I have my eyes on a few 5.10c/d and 5.11a+ routes I'd like to be able to get cleanly. Also need to work on lead belay skills.

Quick question: do I only need to worry about color-coordinating gear with carabiners when I start getting into cams? My chocks are wired, and everyone I've seen using them rack them all together on one or two larger 'biners. I do have hexes on slings instead of wire, but those are long-ish and already coordinate with the pieces.

crazycello
Jul 22, 2009
I use my girls nail polish to mark my gear. It's tight.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Meaty Ore posted:

Quick question: do I only need to worry about color-coordinating gear with carabiners when I start getting into cams? My chocks are wired, and everyone I've seen using them rack them all together on one or two larger 'biners. I do have hexes on slings instead of wire, but those are long-ish and already coordinate with the pieces.

Your gear should be colour coordinated with your rope, clothes, helmet and chalk bag. Consider the rock type very carefully as well, contrast is essential. Your partner should dress appropriately too. When you're pulling through that crux move in front of the dangling photographers you don't want to be worrying about how your idiot belayer wore a jumper that blends into the rock, and now your magazine cover photos are going to be ruined by the seemingly body-less head and hands floating in the background.

You'll get into the habit of racking everything in the same place so you can select gear without looking. I have small wires on the left and big (wider than my thumb) on the right. Distinctive biners on cams are helpful when you take a quick glance down to make sure you've got your hand on the right one.
Kudos for the hexes.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
For racking gear, use ovals for sets of nuts. Some ovals are "smoother" on the inside than others. By this I mean that on bad ovals the wires will get hung up on a lip by the gate which is annoying if you're flipping through nuts because the first one you tried didn't fit right. (This is why nuts all get racked together. It's much easier to get a good fit if you have the whole set in your hand, just don't drop it.)

For cams, yeah it's pretty standard to match the biner color to the cam color, and it will help you in your first few months/years leading because you'll be able to look down at the gear loop and grab the cam you want. I also suggest that when you build a set of alpine draws you use biners that are a different color than any of your gear biners. Generally you'll rack them all at the back, so it's not a huge deal, but I find it's handy anyway. Mine are all raw aluminum for example, whereas none of my cam biners are.

Also, if you don't already have one, buy the wild country nut tool with the integrated leash. It's more expensive than the others but it's well worth it.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

For nuts you just need to make sure you have a key lock biner. Otherwise you will hate life getting them off.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

spwrozek posted:

For nuts you just need to make sure you have a key lock biner. Otherwise you will hate life getting them off.

Agreed, and to be clear I'm not talking about the notch from a traditional wire gate being the hangup point. Some keynose oval biners have a gate that doesn't sit flush on the inside of the oval. It's kind of hard to explain but I can probably take some pictures later when I am home.

Basically don't buy wiregate carabiners for anything if you can avoid it unless they have some mechanism to span the notch like Wild Country Helium or Black Diamond HoodWire biners.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Is anyone here based out of the Midwest (specifically Wisconsin/Illinois/Michigan) who could tell me whether climbing there is as dire as it seems? I'm moving back that way after picking up climbing in Colorado, and a cursory look isn't making me feel confident about the presence of quality sport routes or halfway decent gyms.

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Paid for by the meat council of America

Baronash posted:

Is anyone here based out of the Midwest (specifically Wisconsin/Illinois/Michigan) who could tell me whether climbing there is as dire as it seems? I'm moving back that way after picking up climbing in Colorado, and a cursory look isn't making me feel confident about the presence of quality sport routes or halfway decent gyms.

I'm based in Chicago. There are now plenty of quality gyms here with more slated to open in the next year or so. If you come to Chicago, I'd recommend the First Ascent group of gyms.

If you're ending up in southeast Michigan, Planet Rock is pretty solid. I've only been to the Ann Arbor location. It is one of the older gyms but I've always enjoyed going.

For outdoor climbing, there are a few options. You will not have access to climbing like you do in Colorado.

Most Chicago climbers I know that actually going climbing outdoors end up driving down the Kentucky and going to the Red River Gorge. You can squeeze in a day and a half of climbing in a weekend. This is where I've done most of my climbing. RRG is about 7 hours from Chicago.

Jackson Falls is in Southern Illinois. I've only been there once but I'd like to go there more. People that like it really enjoy it. Unfortunately, it a bit less 6 hours from Chicago. This is pretty much why I usually take on the extra hour and just go to the RRG.

A new place opened up near St. Louis. I haven't checked it out yet.

In Wisconsin, you have Devils Lake, Necedah and Hillbilly Hollow (there may be more, this is what I hear people talking about).

There are bouldering options as well. I'm not as familiar with them.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

There's also some outdoor climbing in Michigan, almost all of it in the Upper Peninsula, and there's ice climbing there as well, if you're into that sort of thing.

jet_dee
May 20, 2007
Blah blah blah Nationstates is cool blah blah blah
There had to be a climbing thread here, so glad to stumble across it.

Have been bouldering weekly indoors since June 2017, following a 2 year break. Before that was on and off for 2 years but never advancing beyond v2 back then. I think I've reached v2-3 now and have begun a six week improvers course offered by my centre to get on to their v3-5 routes.

What I find impeding my progress right now is, in some semblance of declining importance:
- The fear of falling/slipping/injury/dying
- Weak pinching / crimping strength
- Skin on fingers and palms becoming sore rather quickly on rougher holds and jugs (I've bought a beastmaker filing board for my calluses, a Climb On bar, and I regularly use an e45 moisturiser)
- Inflexible quads/hams (specifically when trying to hook, it's hard to keep my knee straight when raising my leg up to waist height or higher)

I might be misremembering but I think when I started in 2013, my wall advised newbies to stay out of the training area (circuit board, 50 degree training board, beastmaker fingerboards and other campus boards) for at least the first three months. Now, the advice is to avoid for the first two years, which is something I hear repeated at other walls too.
I would go climbing twice weekly if time allowed but at the moment I'm restricted to once weekly so I focus on training core two days a week mid-week.

Are there any other keyboard warriors here (aka office workers) who've found repetitive strain injuries in mouse hands/wrists/forearms becoming worse through fingerboarding? I may give those a rest for a year now and just do more climbing instead.

jet_dee fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Apr 7, 2018

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
London climbers: anyone been to the new Vauxwall yet? What's it like?

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

jet_dee posted:

Have been bouldering weekly indoors since June 2017, following a 2 year break. Before that was on and off for 2 years but never advancing beyond v2 back then. I think I've reached v2-3 now and have begun a six week improvers course offered by my centre to get on to their v3-5 routes.

What I find impeding my progress right now is, in some semblance of declining importance:
- Skin on fingers and palms becoming sore rather quickly on rougher holds and jugs (I've bought a beastmaker filing board for my calluses, a Climb On bar, and I regularly use an e45 moisturiser)
- Inflexible quads/hams (specifically when trying to hook, it's hard to keep my knee straight when raising my leg up to waist height or higher)

I might be misremembering but I think when I started in 2013, my wall advised newbies to stay out of the training area (circuit board, 50 degree training board, beastmaker fingerboards and other campus boards) for at least the first three months. Now, the advice is to avoid for the first two years, which is something I hear repeated at other walls too.
I would go climbing twice weekly if time allowed but at the moment I'm restricted to once weekly so I focus on training core two days a week mid-week.

Are there any other keyboard warriors here (aka office workers) who've found repetitive strain injuries in mouse hands/wrists/forearms becoming worse through fingerboarding? I may give those a rest for a year now and just do more climbing instead.

Everyonr should figure out their own body, but most people I know don't use moisturizer unless climbing outside consecutively, and then only rhyno restore.

Heel hooking is really about body positioning, it takes a while to figure out. Toe hooking is the same way, but involves more core usually. I would say try to find an overhung section of wall and try those things on yhr biggest jugs you can find, and repeat on progressively smaller holds to train yourself into holding them.

Hang boarding has its place. If you could climb more, I think not training at this point would be good advice.

But since you are only climbing once a week, I think incorporating a day of hangboarding would be a good supplement. Broadly saying someone shod wait -arbitrary time frame- to do it is just stupid

jet_dee
May 20, 2007
I usually moisturise like it's going out of fashion, but only as I have super-dry skin on the back of my hands which gets problematic in winter, and I've begun suffering from a form of eczema since I got back into bouldering.
Never before or during climbing though. Those holds are greasy enough with other climbers' sweat as is.
I normally don't even need to chalk during an entire session, my hands don't tend to sweat during the session unless it's super duper hot in the centre.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

jet_dee posted:

Don't hangboard and try to climb more. All of your issues can be solved through climbing more, especially the fear of falling. Get half way up the wall and bail a few times deliberately. Then do that a bit higher up.

jet_dee
May 20, 2007
Thanks; annoyingly I landed in a way that sprained my ankle a month or two ago (I didn't notice anything was wrong until six hours later, when it became progressively more uncomfortable and then painful to put pressure on), and since then I've been even MORE wary of falling. Every single controlled or uncontrolled jump/fall leaves me wondering if I've gone and sprained it again.

Not once has it happened again by the way...

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

jet_dee posted:

Thanks; annoyingly I landed in a way that sprained my ankle a month or two ago (I didn't notice anything was wrong until six hours later, when it became progressively more uncomfortable and then painful to put pressure on), and since then I've been even MORE wary of falling. Every single controlled or uncontrolled jump/fall leaves me wondering if I've gone and sprained it again.

Not once has it happened again by the way...

Stop bouldering and get on the ropes. Much less scary when you fall.

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Paid for by the meat council of America

jet_dee posted:

I bash away at a keyboard and mouse all day everyday and before climbing I had discomfort and as a result I've tried out quite a few keyboards and mice over the years. I'd highly recommend trying out different keyboards and mice. A couple years ago I switched to a vertical mouse and I'd highly recommend it. I've recommended vertical mice to a few other programmers I know and they've enjoyed the switch.

I've been climbing and hangboarding for a while and haven't noticed any increase in the same problems I had before.

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

A vertical mouse is a big improvement for me too, much less strain on the forearm than from a regular one.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Riding a motorcycle to the gym as a newbie or: how I learned to love clutchless shifting :yayclod:

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Riding a motorcycle to the gym as a newbie or: how I learned to love clutchless shifting :yayclod:

I've taken the bike to the gym many times, but never as a newbie. I can only imagine how that must have been getting back home!

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

armorer posted:

I've taken the bike to the gym many times, but never as a newbie. I can only imagine how that must have been getting back home!

I basically just like, pointed my fingers down and pulled my arm straight back instead of trying to grip lmao

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED
I'll trade you that for my commute which involved pouring warm water over my bicycle multiple times to remove it from the block of ice that had frozen around it and then riding into winds gusting at ~75 KPH with ice pellets barraging my face. In the middle of April.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Kasumeat posted:

I'll trade you that for my commute which involved pouring warm water over my bicycle multiple times to remove it from the block of ice that had frozen around it and then riding into winds gusting at ~75 KPH with ice pellets barraging my face. In the middle of April.

Sounds fun, ngl. Also raindrops at 80mph feel like airsoft pellets on bare skin!

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Tactical Lesbian posted:

I basically just like, pointed my fingers down and pulled my arm straight back instead of trying to grip lmao

And I bet you left it in neutral at every light too.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

armorer posted:

And I bet you left it in neutral at every light too.

An easy bet right there -- you're absolutely right.

So as a newbie, under 1 month of climbing, is there anything wrong with just climbing like every day? Like 30-60 minutes over lunch time, and ~3 hours a day on weekends? Am I going too hard right out of the gate?

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Tactical Lesbian posted:

So as a newbie, under 1 month of climbing, is there anything wrong with just climbing like every day? Like 30-60 minutes over lunch time, and ~3 hours a day on weekends? Am I going too hard right out of the gate?

Training makes you weak. You get stronger when you rest.

Also, you're definitely going to blow a pulley tendon, and then you'll be out of the game for months. I'd suggest 2x a week for the first 2-3 months, and see how your body feels. Ramp up to 3x after that.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I always got tennis elbow whenever I'd climb daily after a long break.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

interrodactyl posted:

Training makes you weak. You get stronger when you rest.

Also, you're definitely going to blow a pulley tendon, and then you'll be out of the game for months. I'd suggest 2x a week for the first 2-3 months, and see how your body feels. Ramp up to 3x after that.

Alright, thanks! I went for lunch today because I was excited to try an autobelay, but I'll rest until like Friday. Any opinions on massage therapy for making recovery time shorter?

I definitely prefer a human belayer in terms of comfort, but the autobelay kind of encourages me to climb back down instead of just being lowered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Every day is too much -- your body needs rest to get stronger and repair damage to muscles and tendons. Every individual is different, but for most people who are in decent shape, I would think you could get away with doing 3-4 short/low-intensity sessions over lunch and 1 longer weekend session (e.g. climb M-Tue, rest W, climb Thu-F, rest Sat, long climb Sun) but even this is probably pushing it and you'd be better off erring on the side of doing less