Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

girl pants posted:

Hey reddit my friend got kidnapped by an Uber driver and I didn't want to help because it was too inconvenient for me to stop her getting potentially raped or killed but ehhh it's really her fault because she drinks and is friendly to men

which gets handled in a "I know this was wrong buuuutt...." sentence and it just owns :xd:

Also all the little details they make sure to include like the unprotected sex and I just want to say this person is not only awful but doubling down on being awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

On the one hand she's complete garbage but on the other it is such an immensely NYC thing to get a call from a friend about to be raped and basically say "Well, I'm all the way Uptown right now, c'mon" that it is hilarious to me

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants

quote:

I can't remember if she succeeded, but by the time Matt met up with us to hang out a bit and take her home, she was blackout drunk. We go back to his place and they pack it in for the night and call me a Lyft home. That was that.

The next morning on Friday I get a text from Skye saying that she's terribly hungover and had sex with Matt (unprotected) but doesn't remember it because she was too drunk. Now I'm starting to feel bad for making her stay with him because she did voice this concern before, but I figured it wouldn't be that hard to avoid sex, so I didn't take it seriously. We ended up not hanging out this day because I had class. So let's just fast-forward now to...

wow matt raped her friend when she was blackout drunk and she let it slide because she had class. holy poo poo

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
"Did you just yadda yadda rape?"

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

girl pants posted:

wow matt raped her friend when she was blackout drunk and she let it slide because she had class. holy poo poo

Yeah and then made it so she had to wait til her rapist could come help save her from her kidnapper.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Huntersoninski posted:

Yeah and then made it so she had to wait til her rapist could come help save her from her kidnapper.

"You wanted to see the city from your shithole town in Texas, welcome to the Big Apple!" :hellyeah:

It's cool how she wouldn't even offer her place to her out of town friend that likes to party and was leery of Matt, what an amazing person.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

You all get pretty worked up about gift giving (lol wtf?), so I went looking for "gift". Enjoy you goofs

My fiancé (29/M) won’t stop trying to surprise me (30/F) and I cant stand it anymore

quote:

My fiance and I have been in a primarily long distance relationship for the past 5 years. We started to date right before he had to go back to his home country to help take care of his grandmother. Even though we’d been dating for 2 months, we were in the honeymoon phase and felt invincible, so we decided to stay together. It’s actually gone pretty great! We Skype often, and he made a visit home about 3 years back that was just filled with so much love. We send gifts for holidays, birthdays, special occasions. It’s so great. I love him so much. About a year ago, his grandmother passed, and he was talking about maybe coming back to America. It was always known that he would be back, but we just didn’t know when he would be back. It was all up in the air, and I didn’t think it would happen then. Well, he surprised me three times over 9 months ago by coming back home, proposing, and showing me our brand new house. We moved in together and have been really happy together.

My one issue, and it’s a silly issue, is he really likes to try to surprise me. I think he saw how good his coming home surprise was, and just keeps trying to replicate that feeling. Like, the other day I called him and asked if he was going to go to the store on his way home because I really wanted some donuts and he said no, he didn’t have time. Then, he comes home and he has donuts. Most people would be like “oh nice surprise” but it’s all the time. Day before that, he told me we were going to get Five Guys for lunch and instead we’re getting sushi at a really nice restaurant that I’m not prepared for and that I don’t really want. I once told him that I wanted some merch for a band I like (I don’t think I’m super spoiled but I like to hint that I want some presents lol) but it was kind of expensive so he said he couldn’t buy i for me. I went ahead and bought it for myself because that was plan B. Well, my stuff gets there with another package addressed to my fiancé. He bought me the stuff as a “surprise.” It’s frustrating! I like spontaneity and it has its place in romance, but my life is 99% unpredictable!

It’s cute and it’s sweet but I need it to STOP. I need to stop leaving my house getting ready to go to Starbucks and end up going for a nice brunch at a fancy hotel. I need to stop buying things just to have them bought for me. I need to stop wondering “will he actually not do this or is this another surprise.” It’s driving me crazy. I’ve asked him not to, and he says it’s romantic. He says he doesn’t do it that much and insists it’s just healthy for our relationship. I cant do this for our wedding. I cant do this for the rest of mt life. How do I convince him that this is bad? That this isn’t romantic it’s just crazy? Is this actually romantic? Is an ultimatum unfair? Because I do love him outside of this and I think he’s a great guy and I want to spend my life with him but this is driving me up the wall!!

TL;DR: My fiancé keeps trying to surprise me, but it’s driving my insane.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

LethalGeek posted:

You all get pretty worked up about gift giving (lol wtf?), so I went looking for "gift". Enjoy you goofs

My fiancé (29/M) won’t stop trying to surprise me (30/F) and I cant stand it anymore

I would like to leave a video response to this post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB2GboGOuTI

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
When I was a kid my parents told me that we had to go clothes shopping and took me to the amusement park instead.

This was a bad idea, because every single shopping trip after that for years started with me going 'are we really going to Big Lots? Or is this another surprise Kennywood trip??'

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That is seriously in the running for the worst person yet

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Yikes, I bolded the part where it gets even better

My friend of 5 years [21F] is understandably upset with me [21F] following a scary run-in with an Uber driver. I apologized but we're still not speaking and I don't really know what else to do. I feel like a total jackass.

I feel like this person is the strawman every Midwesterner thinks of when they think "New Yorker"

LethalGeek posted:

One time my wife threw me a surprise birthday brunch with a bunch of my friends, and I was gracious about it of course, but she could tell it was kind of a big adjustment for me to suddenly have to socially interact with a bunch of my friends with no warning before I'd even had any caffeine yet that day, and (thank God) has not thrown me a surprise party since

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

LethalGeek posted:

This thread loves to latch onto seemingly bland problems and really drag them out, it's funny most of the time.

NYC girl is a loving terrible friend and I'd probably never talk to her again.

Surprise lady just needs to sit down with her fiance and explain that surprises are nice once and a while, but it can't be all the time for everything.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Blade Runner posted:

On the one hand she's complete garbage but on the other it is such an immensely NYC thing to get a call from a friend about to be raped and basically say "Well, I'm all the way Uptown right now, c'mon" that it is hilarious to me

gritty dark 2010s Seinfeld reboot looking pretty rough so far

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Elaine finds out her Uber driver is Crazy Joe Davola and calls George for help (because Jerry isn't picking up) but he doesn't wanna have to drive all the way over the bridge so he stays home and yells at children on Xbox for playing Overwatch wrong

eventually she has to wait in a bar until Newman can come pick her up

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

LethalGeek posted:

This guy is like a slightly more benign version of people who tell unpleasant but entirely believable lies then reveal it to be a "prank" and get salty when the recipient doesn't find it funny. Constantly* telling someone you're doing one thing then doing something else that you consider to be "better", or saying you WON'T do a nice thing someone asks you to do then doing it anyway doesn't make you a spontaneous;y nice person, it makes it impossible for the people around you to trust anything you say.

*there are exceptions of course, but even then you need to be sure the person being surprised will appreciate it, some people find unpredictability stressful, intimidating and anxiety-promoting

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

LethalGeek posted:

haha this dude is going to tell her they're going apple picking or something and surprise!!! it's our wedding!!! your whole family is here! and he will be amazed when she hates it

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Surprise him with a deportation

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
City peeps

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Yikes, I bolded the part where it gets even better

My friend of 5 years [21F] is understandably upset with me [21F] following a scary run-in with an Uber driver. I apologized but we're still not speaking and I don't really know what else to do. I feel like a total jackass.
It's worth noting that after reacting as if she felt bad about it in the comments she then immediately started thanking and agreeing with the one downvoted psycho that victim-blamed her friend.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

I sort of wonder if I've met this person

I have certainly met many people exactly like them who are also from NYC

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I like the ones where figuring out what their actual question is is extremely telling

like for example in the NYC one, her actual question was "I know I did something wrong, but is it ok for me to change the subject into criticisms of my friend's personal choices right after apologizing so we spend all our time talking about that instead?"

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

loquacius posted:

I feel like this person is the strawman every Midwesterner thinks of when they think "New Yorker"

True, equally the stereotype exists for a reason. Big cities allow that breed of skeevy rear end in a top hat to blend in.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

*best friend calls crying that she's getting raped and needs my help*

me: I'm walking here!

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Palpek posted:

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Gorilla Salad posted:

Because none of those tests ever look for emotional intelligence. I.e. the useful form of intelligence.

IS there any way to like, get some of that?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hellblazer187 posted:

IS there any way to like, get some of that?

Be around others and care about them and observe how they feel

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Pick posted:

So no, then

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Pick posted:

I did some research on EI once upon a time, and from what I remember you really only ingrain more empathic behaviour temporarily as an adult before slowly reverting back to whatever your baseline is. It's sticky in the way happiness tends to be.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Jeza posted:

I did some research on EI once upon a time, and from what I remember you really only ingrain more empathic behaviour temporarily as an adult before slowly reverting back to whatever your baseline is. It's sticky in the way happiness tends to be.

Cool, well I'm totally hosed in both departments. Might as well just laugh at redditors who have it marginally worse than me.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

ArbitraryC posted:

Just PCS’d overseas to Japan for my next military assignment. 1 week later a girl who I was talking to 2 months prior tells me she’s pregnant. What do I do?

Controversial opinion: if a dude is loving a lady and gets her pregnant and tells her he's not ready to be a dad but she wants to keep it because SHE'S ready for a baby, I think it's ok to leave that lady to do it on their own. It can be Her Kid, she's making that choice. You can't force her not to have it, but she shouldn't be able to force you into a family you're not willing to have. You shouldn't HAVE to take care of the child, because the assumption that having sex will equal you promising to Raise The Baby should it appear is pretty drat bold.

While I get that it's real lovely to be a deadbeat dad, it's crazy how we feel that men should 'man up' if they get a woman pregnant and just deal with it if she decides to Play Family on her own while dragging him into it.

(for reference, I am a lady who thinks this)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jeza posted:

It just vacillates based on what’s going on with you, I’m at a lull this month for example for some reason.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Palpek posted:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Hellblazer187 posted:

Cool, well I'm totally hosed in both departments. Might as well just laugh at redditors who have it marginally worse than me.

Well, if you consciously keep up the behaviours and continue to associate with people, you'll remain elevated perpetually basically. The point is more that you can't just do it for a while and expect the results to last. But laughing at redditors is good for the soul, so amen.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Controversial opinion: if a dude is loving a lady and gets her pregnant and tells her he's not ready to be a dad but she wants to keep it because SHE'S ready for a baby, I think it's ok to leave that lady to do it on their own. It can be Her Kid, she's making that choice. You can't force her not to have it, but she shouldn't be able to force you into a family you're not willing to have. You shouldn't HAVE to take care of the child, because the assumption that having sex will equal you promising to Raise The Baby should it appear is pretty drat bold.

While I get that it's real lovely to be a deadbeat dad, it's crazy how we feel that men should 'man up' if they get a woman pregnant and just deal with it if she decides to Play Family on her own while dragging him into it.

Maybe you wouldn’t have to add the PS if this weren’t such an odious opinion.

It’s ABOUT the kid, that’s why bring a deadbeat is bad. Not because you left the lady but because you made a loving child and they need you.

Who the gently caress do you or anyone think they are, that their decisions should be free of consequence. What world do you think you deserve to live in?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If you’ve ever wondered why the world doesn’t seem to love you, maybe you should ask, DO I deserve to be loved? Do I really? Why?

I’d bet $100 you’re at least a one-time drunk driver.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Jeza posted:

Well, if you consciously keep up the behaviours and continue to associate with people, you'll remain elevated perpetually basically. The point is more that you can't just do it for a while and expect the results to last. But laughing at redditors is good for the soul, so amen.

Honestly most of the time I'm OK. My marriage is in a rough spot and I'm slammed at work. I'm probably not quite as much of wasteland as I feel at the moment. But no matter what laughing at redditors owns.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
Lol why the gently caress would you think that being responsible for the baby is somehow a gotcha for the woman? If you want to be absolved of your responsibility for making a baby you can 100% do that by not loving having sex

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

oh boy let's have this debate for 20 pages

Anyway, that same "you don't deserve to not have to take responsibility for your actions" argument works just as well for abortions (assuming no situations like rape, etc., of course) so maybe not an unassailable stance

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Pick posted:

If you’ve ever wondered why the world doesn’t seem to love you, maybe you should ask, DO I deserve to be loved? Do I really? Why?

I’d bet $100 you’re at least a one-time drunk driver.

Ironically I have never driven drunk, not even once

Done a lot of other garbage things tho, but I mean does anybody actually deserve to be loved by anyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

StrangersInTheNight posted:

*Phew*

I thought this post was gonna draw a hell storm of posting but since you're a lady it's ok for you to think it.