Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

You may not need extensions. I'm like 6' 3.5" and play standard length, when I got a lesson the guy said I could maybe go half an inch longer but either one would work, he did recommend going a couple degrees more upright though. If you have long arms your ground-to-wrist measurement might be right around average.

Some fitters/coaches would be happy to just do a fitting, others probably are looking to fit you into new clubs. Depends on where you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

Sergio out here pulling a Tin Cup.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Kwilty posted:

Sergio out here pulling a Tin Cup.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3853280

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Thoughts on the Nike NDX ball? They are deeply discounted right now at Sportschek. I mean I really love the TP5s but they are spendy--having two dozen balls at half the price of a dozen would make splashing them less :ohdear:

(Have to say I vastly prefer the new balls to my old ones from the 80s)

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Bilirubin posted:

Thoughts on the Nike NDX ball? They are deeply discounted right now at Sportschek. I mean I really love the TP5s but they are spendy--having two dozen balls at half the price of a dozen would make splashing them less :ohdear:

Have you thought about buying used? I've been using https://www.lostgolfballs.com/ for years and you'd never be able to tell they weren't new except that some have marking on them. They play exactly the same as new. I get Callaway balls for around $0.55-60 a ball but you could even get ProV1's if you want.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

NDX is basically a range ball.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I hope Tiger does the Houston open next year. It might help him with a better start at Augusta.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Waltzing Along posted:

I hope Tiger does the Houston open next year. It might help him with a better start at Augusta.

Tiger never plays the week before the Masters. The only rule more concrete is that he wears red on Sundays.

I say this to my dismay, because as a Houston native, I would love to see him play.

Edit - It is worth noting that one of the reasons why the Houston Open is so popular is because the course is set up to mimic Augusta National (the other reason being it's the last shot for players to get an invite to the Masters). The former reason is partly why Phil plays there instead of heading to ANGC a week early.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 9, 2018

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

While Tiger did better than I thought he ever would, all 4 current defending masters champions are in their 20's. Tiger looked like a 40 year old man trying to keep up with the Kids who have no fear and certainly are not afraid of Tiger wearing Red on on Sunday.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Kameh posted:

Tiger never plays the week before the Masters. The only rule more concrete is that he wears red on Sundays.

I say this to my dismay, because as a Houston native, I would love to see him play.

Edit - It is worth noting that one of the reasons why the Houston Open is so popular is because the course is set up to mimic Augusta National (the other reason being it's the last shot for players to get an invite to the Masters). The former reason is partly why Phil plays there instead of heading to ANGC a week early.

Yeah, I know he doesn't play. I'm saying it would be nice to see him play to warm up for the Masters so he doesn't start like poo poo, as usual.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Josh Lyman posted:

NDX is basically a range ball.

That's too bad.

RE: used balls. No, I have not considered that.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
The tournament the week before the Masters next year will be in San Antonio. The Houston open can’t get a title sponsor so we may not even have a tournament anymore.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

daslog posted:

While Tiger did better than I thought he ever would, all 4 current defending masters champions are in their 20's. Tiger looked like a 40 year old man trying to keep up with the Kids who have no fear and certainly are not afraid of Tiger wearing Red on on Sunday.

Danny Willett is 30 and Sergio is 38.

All four current Major holders are in their 20s though, which is probably what you meant.

Tiger has played six tournaments since he had major back surgery less than a year ago and has made the cut in all but one of them. He's barely played any golf in the last three years. Will he ever get back to that dominance he had? I sincerely doubt it but saying that fear factor is gone is a bit shortsighted. Guys like Spieth, Reed, and Thomas have never played in a major where Tiger was near the top of the leaderboard and those guys are playing golf because of Tiger.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Bilirubin posted:

That's too bad.

RE: used balls. No, I have not considered that.

You can get some great deals and honestly there's not a huge difference with the AAA rated golf balls.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

So I just did some damned online "what ball should I use" quiz by answering some questions about my swing and play style and was recommended the TP5 (yay I guess) but also the Callaway Regime 3 DOT Tour Select and the Supersoft 17 so I might see if I can get sleeves of either of those to try.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Callaway Speed Regime 3 and Supersoft are about as different as possible for golf balls so that makes no sense at all. Supersoft is not a urethane cover and is very soft, SR3 is urethane cover and very firm (designed for very fast swing speeds).

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Its almost like these sorts of online questionnaires are useless

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

Its almost like these sorts of online questionnaires are useless

oh not at all

they're very good at advertising

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I mean, MG golf bought Callaway's stock of SR3 Tour Select balls and has been selling them for cheap but they're almost gone. I don't know why any other online questionnaire would recommend them since I don't think you can buy them anywhere else? I'm seeing them on eBay too but that's about it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Used Taylormade Lethals were the best deal going for a while. Eventually got relabeled to TP5X, same performance as Pro V1x, and you could get 4A for like 50 cents/ball.

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

Kirkland Signatures are the bees knees and they just released a soft version of their ball also.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Try some MG C4 Urethanes. Also their gloves are amazing. mggolf.com

I had an epiphany on the range today. Subconsciously, I've been steering the club and literally pushing it through impact with my wrists thanks to a dick skinner death grip. Loosened up, let it release naturally and started striping it.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Kwilty posted:

Kirkland Signatures are the bees knees and they just released a soft version of their ball also.

I don't have a Costco membership and whenever they have those balls in stock it lasts like 10 minutes.

Thanks all for the recommendations of others to try. Meanwhile I'll just try to find TP5s on sale and suck it up because they really play great.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Farking Bastage posted:

Try some MG C4 Urethanes. Also their gloves are amazing. mggolf.com

I had an epiphany on the range today. Subconsciously, I've been steering the club and literally pushing it through impact with my wrists thanks to a dick skinner death grip. Loosened up, let it release naturally and started striping it.

Would this be a thing midsized grips might help with?

I am still debating whether to change my S55s to midsized grips or just play with what are on them until its time for a change.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Looks pretty easy.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhWmG-EDZZ6/?utm_source=ig_embed

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hahahaha that's amazing

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

A teaching pro who uses the simulators I spent some time at this winter has a 7 iron with a head about half the usual size and let me hit some shots with it, probably a similar feel to what Vijay is doing there. Especially with a $5k launch monitor sitting right in the shank zone lol.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
In this thread MN golfers commisserate that its April 10th and there's still snow in the forecast :(.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

DoctaFun posted:

In this thread MN golfers commisserate that its April 10th and there's still snow in the forecast :(.

It's been under 45 all month here in New Hampshire. The weather breaks Thursday and we are playing Friday, Saturday, and Monday.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

DoctaFun posted:

We had snow last week in NJ.

This time last year I'd probably already played 15 times. I've played 4 times this calendar year.

I also Finau'd my ankle in my soccer game Sunday so I'm not going to be able to play for a few weeks anyway. Weekend forecast is upper 70s. :sigh:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I'm playing Disney's Lake Buena Vista on sunday, sorry guys!

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
We have the opposite down here in Aus. Waiting for Autumn to come for those lovely temperate days but Summer is still here, haven't had a round where the temp didn't hit at least 29C for almost 5 months now.

On the positive side keeps the older walkers off the course as they can't handle more than 9 holes without looking like they are at deaths door.

Back to ball chat for a little while, I won a dozen Titleist Velocity's played with one on the back nine past Sunday. Goes super long but just couldn't get any touch with it from around 100m out or around the greens, I'm sure if I played them enough that I'd get used to them however they are only $4 cheaper/dozen than chrome softs at my normal shop, so I don't think they are a great alternative.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
We still have a couple of good snows before the season is done, but I'm golfing Thursday. Wind gusts up to 35mph!!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Dimebag posted:

Back to ball chat for a little while, I won a dozen Titleist Velocity's played with one on the back nine past Sunday. Goes super long but just couldn't get any touch with it from around 100m out or around the greens, I'm sure if I played them enough that I'd get used to them however they are only $4 cheaper/dozen than chrome softs at my normal shop, so I don't think they are a great alternative.

I'm starting to get to the point where the bit of extra distance from a ball like the Velocity or Q-Star does less for me than something that spins a little more around the greens. In the US Chrome Softs are almost twice the price of Velocity though.

I think my go to ball this year is going to be the Q-Star Tour. It's a nice balance of price point and spin for me. Z Stars are $10-15 more a dozen so they're really not worth it unless I catch a deal somewhere although I do like how they spin around the green.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Shrapnig posted:

I'm starting to get to the point where the bit of extra distance from a ball like the Velocity or Q-Star does less for me than something that spins a little more around the greens. In the US Chrome Softs are almost twice the price of Velocity though.

I think my go to ball this year is going to be the Q-Star Tour. It's a nice balance of price point and spin for me. Z Stars are $10-15 more a dozen so they're really not worth it unless I catch a deal somewhere although I do like how they spin around the green.

When I was at the Cleveland/Srixon event last year, I was the only person out of 8 that opted to play Z Stars, everyone else wanted the Q Star Tours. They're good balls but that caught me by surprise.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Suprfli6 posted:

When I was at the Cleveland/Srixon event last year, I was the only person out of 8 that opted to play Z Stars, everyone else wanted the Q Star Tours. They're good balls but that caught me by surprise.

For me it's that kind of ball that doesn't have excessive spin off of the driver but it still has decent spin around the green. It's definitely for a player like me who isn't trying to rip balls back on the green but just wants a ball to hit the green and check and stop.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Shrapnig posted:

For me it's that kind of ball that doesn't have excessive spin off of the driver but it still has decent spin around the green. It's definitely for a player like me who isn't trying to rip balls back on the green but just wants a ball to hit the green and check and stop.

Hmm that might suit me. Almost used all my Chrome Soft balls so I'll give them a go soon.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Halo14 posted:

Hmm that might suit me. Almost used all my Chrome Soft balls so I'll give them a go soon.

The original chrome softs felt like they spun more than anything I had played at the time, I haven't really played the newer ones though so that might have changed a bit.

I ordered some Project (a) balls from lostgolfballs in 5A quantity a month or two ago, you might want to look into those. I think they were under a dollar each when I ordered, and I got some other ones at the same time since you usually get free shipping at $100.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Daric posted:

Have you thought about buying used? I've been using https://www.lostgolfballs.com/ for years and you'd never be able to tell they weren't new except that some have marking on them. They play exactly the same as new. I get Callaway balls for around $0.55-60 a ball but you could even get ProV1's if you want.

Whoa, they ship to Canada too.

Might be a way to try a few different balls for a reasonable price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I played in shorts yesterday afternoon :toot: