Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.

Avirosb posted:

Could just be me but as a first time player I don't feel like exploring when I have a time limit to get something I don't know where is.
Hasn't soured me on it yet but lots of these old games I missed out on are pretty hard to grow accustomed to.

Its not hard, just max out agility if you feel like actually fighting anything and find necropolis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

They do, it's called digital tweening and it's soooooo uncanny valley. It makes everything look just a little undulating. I can't understand how people like it, I guess aside from that it's super cheap to produce 60 faked "frames" of sprite movement per second.

I don’t mean tweening. I mean replicate the look of old sprite art as if animated by hand, frame by frame.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

quote:

Legend of Legaia

tornaaAAADO FLAAAAAAAYME

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Secret of Mana was mediocre. I'd rather have a Seiken Densetsu 3 remake.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Ugh i caved and am installing lost odyssey i suspect ill play it dor 7 minutes

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

esperterra posted:

Maybe with a half decent localization I'd actually finish Legend of Dragoon. I think that's the only JRPG where a lovely translation kept me from finishing it.

The lovely Absolutely Everything kept me from finishing FF8, so I played Legend of Dragoon instead. :colbert: I stand by this choice, and refuse to go back and finish FF8.

It was a good game and I had fun. There was a dragon who was a stealth jet, and The Evil Monster The Hero Is SWORN To Destroy turned out to be something more interesting than just a boss. And I like that it found a way to kill off or kidnap characters for story reasons without wasting all the time you put into leveling them (because you can just give the rock to a new person and now they are that dragoon).

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Traxis posted:

that game was japanese as hell. The gameplay was very good but I literally felt embarrassed playing it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Alpha Mayo posted:

that game was japanese as hell. The gameplay was very good but I literally felt embarrassed playing it.

well yeah it never got an official english translation, of course it's gonna be japanese as hell dude

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
started playing lost odyssey again the opening cutscene is pretty rad i also wish i had one of the helmets the gold guys wear L O L

The Duchess Smackarse fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 8, 2018

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Jimmy Hats posted:

started playing lost odyssey again the opening cutscene is pretty rad i also wish i had one of the helmets the gold guys wear L O L

can't see dam pic. take a screenie.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Jimmy Hats posted:

Resonance of fate rules i love playing dress up and putting 9 grips on my gun also the gameplay is pretty fun i guess

I found a pair of pants early on in that game that cost something like 10000000 dollars and it took me a while to realize why they were so precious: Its the only bottom that Leanne could wear that was a skirt

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I get a perverse desire to play The LAst Remnant every few years or so

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Meme Emulator posted:

I found a pair of pants early on in that game that cost something like 10000000 dollars and it took me a while to realize why they were so precious: Its the only bottom that Leanne could wear that was a skirt

This is anime as hell

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Meme Emulator posted:

I get a perverse desire to play The LAst Remnant every few years or so

you should be ashamed, only deviants and miscreants play SaGa games

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
I've been playing the FFT:Advanced game so far and I've been liking it. It has it's differences from the PSX one but I don't mind it too much, especially on my phone. Do other people not like it and its sequel?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

The White Dragon posted:

That explains why I liked the Romancing SaGa 2 remake so much

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The White Dragon posted:

:ohdear:
what about FF Legend series on the gameboy? i beat all three of those before i realize they were SaGa games. i swear i thought they were Final Fantasy!

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Wicker Man posted:

I've been playing the FFT:Advanced game so far and I've been liking it. It has it's differences from the PSX one but I don't mind it too much, especially on my phone. Do other people not like it and its sequel?

I didn't like the randomized rules they would throw in. I probably could've gotten used to it, but I just moved on.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Advance is good but advance 2 is bad and nobody knows why

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

The White Dragon posted:

This only includes the ps2 Saga game.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
The only good not-final fantasy JRPG is the Not Final Fantasy The Last Story

i mean yeah it was on the wii but a) Sakaguchi directing and b) Uematsu composing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nF2U_IDdc4

everyone who liked Lost Odyssey for some reason: same company, same people. Mistwalker's greatest hit.

No one fuckin played it because it was on the wii but it's such a good little game. Come to switch my friend, Last Story, i still love u

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I liked The Last Story but I think modern audiences generally wouldn't. It has lots those fairy tale plot beats that many people these days seem to cynically dismiss as being overplayed.

I liked it a lot less than Lost Odyssey. Pretty fun to play, though. Gated way too much stat progression behind NG+.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

The White Dragon posted:

I liked The Last Story but I think modern audiences generally wouldn't. It has lots those fairy tale plot beats that many people these days seem to cynically dismiss as being overplayed.

I liked it a lot less than Lost Odyssey. Pretty fun to play, though. Gated way too much stat progression behind NG+.

all i can think of when i think Lost Odyssey is all the poo poo stories and Jansen.

Jansen.

Jansen.

if anyone liked Jansen over anyone in the Last Story, even Lowell, something went wrong

also the last story doesn't make you read a poo poo book every 10 minutes

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Jimmy Hats posted:

Advance is good but advance 2 is bad and nobody knows why

Because it's just sort of forgettable. The systems are the exact same and some poo poo is improved but it just leaves 0 impression. I didn't even know I beat it and sunk 100+ hours into it until I checked my save file just now. It's that unmemorable.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Jansen is the best character from the entire 360/PS3/Wii gen

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

The White Dragon posted:

Jansen is Jar Jar and i was infuriated that he got his creep-rear end way in the end with the princess or whatever

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

The White Dragon posted:

eating only apples posted:

Jansen is Jar Jar and i was infuriated that he got his creep-rear end way in the end with the princess or whatever

Jar jar fukkin rules

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
If padme had boinked jarjar she wouldn't have gotten choked out

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.

Confirming this, it's great. I can't get past the DoppleGang on New Game +, though.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS

The White Dragon posted:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Traxis posted:

Correct post. I lost interest in SoM like five hours in but SD3 kept me hooked and it's still one of my favourite games ever.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

secret of mana owns

it's too easy though. there's a lower-level run that's challenging but it's a tightrope between regular difficulty and impossible; armor and your magic level matter too much

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

eating only apples posted:

i feel like you've misread his character, friend. jansen is a hedonist, but he has a heart of gold. he freezes the steam to let the bird fly away because he doesn't want it to get hurt... nobody is watching, to his knowledge; he does it because it's the right thing to do.

maybe you just need to hang out with more party animals

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I forgot the GBA existed and had rpgs other than Pokémon. Are the golden sun games worth my time?

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Alpha Mayo posted:

I forgot the GBA existed and had rpgs other than Pokémon. Are the golden sun games worth my time?

Dunno but Superstar Saga was pretty neat.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Golden Sun was pretty well regarded back in the day, but I don't know how they held up.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Golden Suns are pretty and have a real fun class system, plus good dungeon design and music, but the plot is generic as all hell and while the combat is decent, the encounter rate is kinda high. I think good spritework is basically ageless.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Apr 9, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The golden sun games are abysmally boring and long and not worth suffering through for the passable graphics

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

precision posted:

The golden sun games are abysmally boring and long and not worth suffering through for the passable graphics

Kraden is the worst character and he will explain everything constantly,Psynergy is tedious as is collected Djinn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Don't the original GBA Golden Sun games have more words than the bible.