Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Netflix just added Rostered On, which an Australian show about working at Best Buy in the style of The Office. It's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

lelandjs posted:

What are they gonna do if the show is renewed, most community college degrees are only two year programs

"Two year programs" can last several years.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Lycus posted:

"Two year programs" can last several years.

we're sorry, the correct answer was "dan harmon don't give no shits about the rules"

thanks for playing, we hope you enjoy your consolation gift, A DVD Set Containing The Only Three Good Seasons Of Community. It comes with a special bonus disc entitled The 13 Great Episodes Of Glee And Absolutely Nothing Else You're Welcome.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There more than 13 good episodes of Glee.

I mean, they weren't successive or anything and you should never try and find them. But there's a few of them scattered around.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STAC Goat posted:

SA had a really gross obsession with that garbage show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

"Gross"?

I mean it had sparks of something good and a good start that made people hang on too long hoping it would fulfill the "promise" of something better. And some people really liked the music. And it was still kind of at a time when positive gay storylines and characters were a rarity on TV and something to appreciate.

People hung on too long and then got negative and nasty about it. But that happens with almost every single popular show in this forum and the internet. And then a lot of goons got real mad about something they didn't like being successful, but they do that all the time. And Glee was pretty huge for a minute so the audience/noise of it was a lot bigger.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Glee is the only television show that made me want to actually break the TV.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They hosed over Jonathan Coulton and the show sucked from the very beginning. Only Glee fans fall over themselves over auto tuned poo poo.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Mu Zeta posted:

Only Glee fans fall over themselves over auto tuned poo poo.

Lets not be crazy, hip hop still exists.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mulva posted:

Lets not be crazy, hip hop still exists.

What's it like back there in 2007 and how are you posting such hot takes through a time portal

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I hope this week's Joel McHale show is a sign we have more Drag Race clips in our future.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, they weren't successive or anything and you should never try and find them. But there's a few of them scattered around.

yeah this is probably right. that first half a season was so good. I've maintained that if it had died a quiet, unpopular death those first thirteen episodes would a Freaks and Geeks/Firefly-level "what could have been" example.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

hey, remember when Hari Kondabolu made a documentary about Apu from the Simpsons and how horrible the portrayal of Apu is as a stereotype of an Indian man?

The Simpsons responded, and it's exactly as bad as you would thing The Simpsons in 2018 would handle this.

https://twitter.com/soham_burger/status/983200703660351488

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

DC Murderverse posted:

yeah this is probably right. that first half a season was so good. I've maintained that if it had died a quiet, unpopular death those first thirteen episodes would a Freaks and Geeks/Firefly-level "what could have been" example.

I don't even think the first 13 episodes are "so good". There's plenty of flaws and problems in there, and much of the same problems that eventually tanked the show. But there was a ton of promise and potential and some really high highs. It had a lot of people hoping the show would recognize what worked and what didn't and adjust the right way. They didn't.

I remember when 2 Broke Girls started and a lot of people were like "man, there's a lot of bad racist and sexist jokes and stupid poo poo but the main characters have great chemistry and the show could really work if it gets more sincere with them and chucks the rest". And then the show writer did an interview where he was like "I'm gay so I can be as racist as I want to be and that's the best part of the show!" and it was just "oh... so this isn't gonna work out, huh?"

But you're absolutely right. If it had ended there it would live on as that "What If?" ball of potential without the sad truth known to any of us. Although I suspect the audience might have become as obsessive as Firefly's and turned people off anyway.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Killing Eve seems decent. It's got the American-Spies-in-Western-Europe vibe of Patriot and Counterpart, but with more of a cat-and-mouse focus.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

DC Murderverse posted:

hey, remember when Hari Kondabolu made a documentary about Apu from the Simpsons and how horrible the portrayal of Apu is as a stereotype of an Indian man?

The Simpsons responded, and it's exactly as bad as you would thing The Simpsons in 2018 would handle this.

https://twitter.com/soham_burger/status/983200703660351488
Why am I still alive in a world where Donald Trump is President and The Simpsons is still on after nearly 30 seasons and hasn't even been remotely good for at least the past 15 of them?

I don't want to exist in this hell

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh poo poo Billions is back I should probably catch up on it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

Netflix just added Rostered On, which an Australian show about working at Best Buy in the style of The Office. It's good.

Counterpoint: It's authentic aussie. But it's poo poo.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The British performed Hamilton and it's pretty dang good. They ennunciate the words much more and the production seems way slicker, maybe a little too slick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ECzlMYRKLg

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mu Zeta posted:

The British

quote:

They enunciate the words

Lies.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

He didn't say "correctly."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I met a British dude yesterday and he somehow managed to say the word "little" without the "TT" sounds.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rhyno posted:

I met a British dude yesterday and he somehow managed to say the word "little" without the "TT" sounds.

glo'al stops are in a lot of American speech too, we're just used to it so we ignore them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bruceski posted:

glo'al stops are in a lot of American speech too, we're just used to it so we ignore them.

I wasn't complaining, I loved his accent!

I also met Brandon Routh yesterday and that dude just radiates kindness and joy. Told him how much I love his work, that Superman Returns was indeed a good flick and he gave me a high 5, then came around and hugged me!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hamilton always seemed like a woefully misjudged idea for minority empowerment, but I do have to say the music isn't bad.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I am doing my best to actively avoid Hamilton

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rhyno posted:

Yeah my wife jabs at me every time I say little/bottle.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Iron Crowned posted:

I am doing my best to actively avoid Hamilton

Of course you are. You hate good things.

This guy hates dogs ya'll.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

IRQ posted:

Of course you are. You hate good things.

This guy hates dogs ya'll.

That's because dogs are bad things

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rhyno posted:

I wasn't complaining, I loved his accent!

I also met Brandon Routh yesterday and that dude just radiates kindness and joy. Told him how much I love his work, that Superman Returns was indeed a good flick and he gave me a high 5, then came around and hugged me!

This makes me smile. Routh has always seemed like a big ol teddy bear to me and I am glad to hear he's a sweetie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

esperterra posted:

This makes me smile. Routh has always seemed like a big ol teddy bear to me and I am glad to hear he's a sweetie.

He seems so happy to be getting fans and recognition for his work on the CW shows. Most of the people in line were getting Returns pictures signed so I opted for an Arrow still of him and his whole vibe just got even happier. I really wish I could have gotten the photo op now.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
While Cavill was born to play Superman, Routh was born to play Kent.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I have a hard time understanding the original guy playing Hercules Mulligan. The Brit dude does it better.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I don't know why scouts love big arms when todays NFL hardly ever throws deep outside of like 4 teams.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Guys, we've discussed this. Please don't talk about Glee in this thread. I find it very triggering.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

feedmyleg posted:

While Cavill was born to play Superman, Routh was born to play Kent.

Based on his part on Arrow/LoT and his natural affinity for comedy, I'd say he was born to play Ted Kord/Blue Beetle.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It always bummed me that Routh's career bombed out with Returns, he wasn't the problem with that movie (which I kinda love tbh it just makes a few ... choices). People never seemed to give him the time of day 'til he stole every scene of Scott Pilgrim he was in, I can't think of anything movie roles he was in between that and Returns. I think he did a fair bit of TV spots for a while? I know he was on like Gilmore Girls and other poo poo, but that was even before Returns.

I'm glad things seem to be turning around for him, I think he has a lot more range than people give him credit for, especially as a comedic actor. I don't watch any of the CW hero shows but it seems like a good fit for him.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Li....ul

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Not sure if the thread covered it but about a week ago a critic I follow posted a letter that Noah Hawley sent out to critics ahead of LEGION, essentially talking about how he's now ready to push the medium of TV beyond what has done before. It's very funny, mainly because LEGION is relatively 'safe-weird', which is to say that it gives the appearance of being weird and off the wall, but constantly tells you why you're seeing what you're seeing. It completely neuters itself. The dream sequences in THE SOPRANOS are often more out there than anything that LEGION does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Man sometimes I like to just think about how good the dreams in The Sopranos were.