Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah lol uarts aren't going anywhere, ever, although they're generally 3.3v these days, not 12v

control lines generally don't see much use either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
hosted developers don't appreciate how much EEs still depend on ye olde 3-wire

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Gazpacho posted:

hosted developers don't appreciate how much EEs still depend on ye olde 3-wire

this, but RS-232 is dead, dead, dead, you basically never see it except maybe on networking gear or janky test equipment

these days we all use those nifty FTDI USB-to-UART cables

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Poopernickel posted:

this, but RS-232 is dead, dead, dead, you basically never see it except maybe on networking gear or janky test equipment

these days we all use those nifty FTDI USB-to-UART cables

I have an RS232 PCI-E card at home for my PC. I like the cables, they are nice, but RS232 is also convenient at times.

I just translated a massive project with 28 sub-projects from GNU Autotools to Meson.
Meson is good if anybody is wondering (they weren't lol).

Meson is probably the best make system of all the 3 major Linux ones (Autotools/Cmake/Meson).

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Apr 5, 2018

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

:rock:

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

I just translated a massive project with 28 sub-projects from GNU Autotools to Meson.
Meson is good if anybody is wondering (they weren't lol).

Meson is probably the best make system of all the 3 major Linux ones (Autotools/Cmake/Meson).

Never used Meson, what prompted the switch away from autotools?

I've actually been using more and more autotools lately, it's been surprisingly un-terrible!

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 5, 2018

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
i wished meson worked slightly better on Windows. my friend has been using premake with limited success: https://premake.github.io/

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
also linus yelling at people because he knows nothing about computer security is in the news again yay

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
maybe if i yelled at people and told them they were so stupid they should have been aborted at birth, people will trust my technical opinions more.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Suspicious Dish posted:

also linus yelling at people because he knows nothing about computer security is in the news again yay

Can someone explain what mjg's "secret agenda" that Linus keeps screaming about is? I seriously cannot figure out what that's supposed to be.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

link please

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

geonetix posted:

link please

Do you really want someone linking to the lkml trashfire here?

Edit: fine enjoy. Lkml website has a horrible interface https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/4/3/674

mrmcd fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 5, 2018

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

mrmcd posted:

Do you really want someone linking to the lkml trashfire here?

This whole thread is about trash fires on the desktop, of course I want that link! But, thanks!

e: oh well that was disappointing

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Poopernickel posted:

Never used Meson, what prompted the switch away from autotools?

I've actually been using more and more autotools lately, it's been suprisingly un-terrible!

The old autotools system for the project was a complete mess that was made by 3rd party foreign programmers and nobody wanted to touch it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
i highly recommend mjg59's commentary and also my commentary:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16762653
https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/50577.html

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

It's all very weird to me because I occasionally work with mjg59 irl and he's a super smart chill dude who's trying to drag the Linux kernel kicking and screaming into something resembling a modern security architecture.

loving open source dipshits though continue to think this is all some vast conspiracy by $MEGA_CORP to keep them from running their custom kernelspace pine fork they've compiled for a VAX emulator.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

he's referring to secure boot in that mail though - wouldn't he be in the right to say that secure boot was pushed by someone with an agenda

the agenda in this thread is surely to try to paint linus in a bad light at every given opportunity, even if there's nothing to actually criticize

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Tankakern posted:

he's referring to secure boot in that mail though - wouldn't he be in the right to say that secure boot was pushed by someone with an agenda

the agenda in this thread is surely to try to paint linus in a bad light at every given opportunity, even if there's nothing to actually criticize

lol at your blind hero worship

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

lol that it seems that the whole point of this thread is to see how much crap you can spew

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Tankakern posted:

lol that it seems that the whole point of this thread is to see how much crap you can spew

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > YOSPOS

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Tankakern posted:

the secure boot agenda is to avoid booting bad code.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Mods please change my name to "The Secureboot Conspiracy"

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Tankakern posted:

no, it's a security feature that has been on every platform except the PC for years. introducing it to the PC was slightly problematic because vendors were shipping things against the spec that didn't let users install keys. As a result, we now have the shim loader which is signed by Microsoft and can chainload into signed Linux distributions using any user key

mjg was the one who brought the attention of the press to Secure Boot where lots of them made insane and false claims about how Microsoft was pushing it as anticompetitive behavior. Secure Boot is good

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along
it's really annoying that tpm & secure boot, the best things to happen to desktop security until widespread sandboxing started happening, are ignored by most linuxes because of bullshit conspiracy theories about microsoft/mpaa or whatever

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

crazypenguin posted:

it's really annoying that tpm & secure boot, the best things to happen to desktop security until widespread sandboxing started happening, are ignored by most linuxes because of bullshit conspiracy theories about microsoft/mpaa or whatever

It's not though.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

spankmeister posted:

It's not though.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Suspicious Dish posted:

no, it's a security feature that has been on every platform except the PC for years. introducing it to the PC was slightly problematic because vendors were shipping things against the spec that didn't let users install keys.

shitbox taiwanese oems pushing something out of the door where a feature not required for windows to boot to the desktop doesn't work

who could possibly have seen that one coming

quote:

mjg was the one who brought the attention of the press to Secure Boot where lots of them made insane and false claims about how Microsoft was pushing it as anticompetitive behavior. Secure Boot is good

secure boot is security theater and kernel lockdown is the most goddamn stupid poo poo. the barrier between user mode and kernel mode is never going to protect you against malicious code outside of very specific scenarios like seccomp. or are you telling me i am hallucinating the existence of all those myriad android jailbreaks.

if your server gets owned then you re-establish a root of trust by reinstalling it from trusted media. the main thing you care about there is that your attacker cannot flash a system firmware image that lacks a valid vendor signature, or flash a system firmware image that predates the current one. even if the user-kernel boundary was invulnerable, which it is extremely not even if you do come up with a few dozen possible attack vectors off the top of your head one lazy afternoon while you're taking a poo poo and disable them in secure boot mode and call it job done, what does a verified kernel get you when your user space is trashed and rootkitted?

assuming we're not actually having an unironic discussion about ~*linux on the desktop*~ having any security whatsoever then what we're talking about here is server applications, and you don't use any loving secure boot bullshit to confine untrusted code or security breaches, you use a hypervisor. you know, the solution that has been infosec best practice since the xbox 360 became a thing.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 6, 2018

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
so in short my opinion is give the baby his bottle: force kernel lockdown on if secure boot is on. if you enable the security theater of the latter then why not have the adjacent security theater of the former. besides, it doesn't really affect day to day usage in any meaningful way by the looks of things, since most usely-used xorg drivers no longer do their own user space mmio unmediated by the kernel.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Sapozhnik posted:

assuming we're not actually having an unironic discussion about ~*linux on the desktop*~

mjg works on chromeos

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Suspicious Dish posted:

the Microsoft of 1988–1999 or so absolutely would have used it as an anticompetitive measure so I can see where they’re coming from

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

that microsoft is old enough to vote!!!

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

4.16 got a new hypervisor called jailhouse, anyone tested it out? seems nice if you just want to partition hw between containers and not do any actual virtualization

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Gotomypc STILL doesn't work on Linux :argh:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Tailored Sauce posted:

it’s called “gotomypc:”

1. it’s “my pc,” not “my server” or “my vm instance”
2. it’s “goto my pc,” it’s trash for morons

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Tailored Sauce posted:

what the hell

are you talking about the viewer? (if so, doesn't wine work?)

not to go all apple fan here, but why the hell do you need gotomypc for linux (if not for the viewer)

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

was it gotomypc or teamviewer that was vulnerable a while back? anyways that scandal revealed a lot of really bad home lab security practices

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

hifi posted:

was it gotomypc or teamviewer that was vulnerable a while back? anyways that scandal revealed a lot of really bad home lab security practices

i remember that was teamviewer if you run it as a windows service like a moron

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

hifi posted:

last i heard with the team viewer thing was that their central management server was somehow compromised and peoples sessions were getting hijacked. basic lesson I don't let someone else have complete control over remote access

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Tailored Sauce posted:

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I don't think there ever was a teamviewer compromise, what happen was password reuse and people with old clients that didn't change the access pin each time you launched it. You can disable the pin entirely though.