Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

AR and VR seem like things people very obviously want and companies will keep making until someone actually makes it well. There isn't really any chance it's ever going to be dropped as a concept no matter how many times any specific company fails. Pretty much everyone wants AR and VR if it worked well enough.

right, just like autonomous cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

exploded mummy posted:

right, just like autonomous cars

Oh, now you've gone and done it.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

AR and VR seem like things people very obviously want and companies will keep making until someone actually makes it well. There isn't really any chance it's ever going to be dropped as a concept no matter how many times any specific company fails. Pretty much everyone wants AR and VR if it worked well enough.
VR seems like something people want because they envision themselves on the Holodeck. Like, I doubt that most folks are going to be busting down the doors for a VR system that gives them a tiny bit more immersion as they sit on a couch and press buttons on a controller. That's why flight games are some of the best demos for current VR hardware: it allows you to sit in a chair and move joysticks in order to replicate a real-life activity that involves sitting in a chair and moving joysticks. I think that VR that "worked well enough" for most folks would require that kind of parity between the real experience and the virtual one.

And I'm not trying to be down on this tech entirely, because I fully admit to being a true believer in augmented reality. If it can get fast and immersive enough, it opens up a ton of potential for physical adventure games. It could reinvigorate the paintball industry (or lasertag or something) by turning fairly mundane landscapes into environments straight out of Battlefront. Crumbling landmarks of ancient civilizations could give visitors a sense of what those places looked like in their heyday. Like VR, I think it'll remain fairly niche, but those particular niches will be drat impressive.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

VideoGameVet posted:

Just do Counter Strike in VR and do it WELL.

Seriously, I am amazed that this has not yet happened.
It doesn't work well because it turns out fast movement in VR tends to make people nauseous, unless you have a frame of reference thing like a cockpit.

The other thing is that total userbase numbers for VR don't justify a large dedicated investment. The big budget titles for VR are games that are also non-VR and that's where they got most of their money.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Baronash posted:

And I'm not trying to be down on this tech entirely, because I fully admit to being a true believer in augmented reality. If it can get fast and immersive enough, it opens up a ton of potential for physical adventure games. It could reinvigorate the paintball industry (or lasertag or something) by turning fairly mundane landscapes into environments straight out of Battlefront. Crumbling landmarks of ancient civilizations could give visitors a sense of what those places looked like in their heyday. Like VR, I think it'll remain fairly niche, but those particular niches will be drat impressive.

thats why i think a slower adventure game as a period piece would work well, you could leverage VR to really trick out some fabulous interior and let players just soak in the decor, costumes etc. in a way that is less impressive with less immersion and it would be a lot more approachable than an action game

downton abbey, at its core, is a show about fabulous hats - much like team fortress 2

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

VR is already changing the way small films are shown and shared. I was at a film festival not too long ago and they had one room with 20+ VR films set up in it and you could go from one to another and experience these fully VR experiences one after another. Some needed full motion spaces and some just used head movements but it was already clearly a game changer.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
VR isn't going to take off as a home gaming thing until companies accept that not everyone has the money to devote to a large empty room for a full VR rig, or the physical ability to twat about in that room. Until then they're going to remain as Privilege Goggles with a higher than acceptable chance of making the user feel physically ill.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Baronash posted:

This article is basically survivorshipbias.txt. VR could absolutely have some previously unforeseen use cases, but I think it's telling that the reaction hasn't been "everyone will want this for all of their games" and instead has been "well, it's nice for flight simulators and certain games that really work to incorporate it." There is a strong possibility that VR remains a fairly niche market.

I agree with your assessment.

Unless we see some groundbreaking titles, it doesn't become mainstream.

I have more hope for AR as an eventual replacement for the smart phone (via gesture and speech recognition).

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Cicero posted:

It doesn't work well because it turns out fast movement in VR tends to make people nauseous, unless you have a frame of reference thing like a cockpit.

The other thing is that total userbase numbers for VR don't justify a large dedicated investment. The big budget titles for VR are games that are also non-VR and that's where they got most of their money.

There's some VR + Eyetracking stuff that may have solved the problem.

Note: I've been told this by people I respect, but I have yet to see the demo.

I was working at a company creating VR documentaries when the funding for such things died soon after E3 2017. Not doing VR now.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

VR isn't going to take off as a home gaming thing until companies accept that not everyone has the money to devote to a large empty room for a full VR rig, or the physical ability to twat about in that room. Until then they're going to remain as Privilege Goggles with a higher than acceptable chance of making the user feel physically ill.

playstation VR tracks in an area about the size of a DDR mat at most and plenty of games are played seated. People generally see that as a limitation.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

boner confessor posted:

thats why i think a slower adventure game as a period piece would work well, you could leverage VR to really trick out some fabulous interior and let players just soak in the decor, costumes etc. in a way that is less impressive with less immersion and it would be a lot more approachable than an action game

downton abbey, at its core, is a show about fabulous hats - much like team fortress 2

Want some rye?

(Yes, I asked for the rights to do this and NO, I didn't get a reply).

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Cicero posted:

Descent made people motion sick in 1995 without VR and had a frame of reference like a cockpit.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Star Man posted:

Descent made people motion sick in 1995 without VR and had a frame of reference like a cockpit.

the problem with descent was that they were showing off their full 3d engine by making a three-axis first person shooter, aka a spaceflight sim, but crammed it into a tiny enclosed space which was confusing and disorienting

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

boner confessor posted:

the problem with descent was that they were showing off their full 3d engine by making a three-axis first person shooter, aka a spaceflight sim, but crammed it into a tiny enclosed space which was confusing and disorienting

And I loving loved it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Also VR and AR are vastly different design spaces even if there is an imagined future where they are merged.

We've barely begun to tap the possibilities of touch screens and mobile devices for gaming or productivity so I would expect it to take time before we actually figure out how design most effectively for VR and AR.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
There's a distinct possibility 20 years from now complaining about VR sickness will feel as quaint as people who complain about motion sickness from flatscreen first person shooters or watching a movie.

Empirically, when done repeatedly most people's brains seem to get used to it.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Trabisnikof posted:

Also VR and AR are vastly different design spaces even if there is an imagined future where they are merged.

We've barely begun to tap the possibilities of touch screens and mobile devices for gaming or productivity so I would expect it to take time before we actually figure out how design most effectively for VR and AR.

We need someone to develop non-dorky in-glasses screens in order for AR to spread outside of industrial contexts.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

a foolish pianist posted:

We need someone to develop non-dorky in-glasses screens in order for AR to spread outside of industrial contexts.

What? Don't think this looks hip? :v:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I still get motion sickness from first person games after 20 years of playing them.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Arglebargle III posted:

I still get motion sickness from first person games after 20 years of playing them.

seems to not have limited the FPS market.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Depends on the scale we're discussing. People are claiming VR/AR will be ubiquitous and usable for gaming, productivity, social interaction, etc.

FPS gaming occupies a much smaller niche than that. If VR/AR is limited to the same audience as FPS gaming that will be a significant limitation to the expected growth of VR/AR use.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Trabisnikof posted:

FPS gaming occupies a much smaller niche than that. If VR/AR is limited to the same audience as FPS gaming that will be a significant limitation to the expected growth of VR/AR use.

Looks like overwatch has outsold like 1984 or the great gatsy. it seems like FPS are doing fine.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Looks like overwatch has outsold like 1984 or the great gatsy. it seems like FPS are doing fine.

Way to miss the point as usual.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

overwatch specifically caters to "non-traditional" fps gamers, especially women

we can't really gauge how big the fps market would be since the fps market is generally highly focused on a profitable niche of predominantly male, military fetishist gamers

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Call of Duty is like the biggest franchise in gaming. You may as well claim that soccer is a niche sport.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I don't think that was the point. It counters this specious argument from SH:

ShadowHawk posted:

Empirically, when done repeatedly most people's brains seem to get used to it.
Namely, you don't hear folks complaining about FPS motion sickness because they self-select out of playing them and it's not a novel take anymore. Not because they "seem to get used to it," they stop bothering to try.

VR motion sickness is orders of magnitude worse. There's a dearth of research, questions like "how many ms of eye-to-eye lag is tolerable" that don't apply to traditional 2d displays just don't have answers. Afaik, the gendered differences in VR motion sickness are still open questions as well.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

a foolish pianist posted:

Call of Duty is like the biggest franchise in gaming.

it is among the top in fps gaming, but the argument is if motion sickness has somehow constrained the size of the fps game market. i can think of bigger constraints on this market, namely that the genre is somewhat bound to catering to a certain demographic, and could perhaps find a larger audience if it wasn't so focused on grimdark military jingoism. overwatch is the counterexample here, as the art direction and character design is specifically varied to reach a broader audience - specifically women. overwatch is notable for having a much larger female playerbase than any other fps

call of duty's sales have collectively been declining (it's a bit stale) and the best selling title was modern warfare 3, which sold 26.5 million units since its release in 2011

overwatch has sold 35 million units and counting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games

minecraft, of course, utterly demolishes both of them in sales

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

boner confessor posted:

it is among the top in fps gaming, but the argument is if motion sickness has somehow constrained the size of the fps game market. i can think of bigger constraints on this market, namely that the genre is somewhat bound to catering to a certain demographic, and could perhaps find a larger audience if it wasn't so focused on grimdark military jingoism. overwatch is the counterexample here, as the art direction and character design is specifically varied to reach a broader audience - specifically women. overwatch is notable for having a much larger female playerbase than any other fps

call of duty's sales have collectively been declining (it's a bit stale) and the best selling title was modern warfare 3, which sold 26.5 million units since its release in 2011

overwatch has sold 35 million units and counting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games

minecraft, of course, utterly demolishes both of them in sales

GTA-V just broke $6B in sales. By far the most successful entertainment product in history.

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/news/gta-v-has-apparently-made-more-money-than-any-movie-in-history-1834776

GTA V has made around $6 billion since its release in September 2013. This means GTA V has made more money than any book, film, record or video game ever released, and shows no signs of stopping.

(And I was laughed at in 1990 when I suggested at Activision we do a game titled "Drive By")

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

VideoGameVet posted:

Want some rye?

(Yes, I asked for the rights to do this and NO, I didn't get a reply).

I used to play that game with my Dad, I don't think we ever got very far at all.

That drat vulture :argh:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

VideoGameVet posted:

GTA-V just broke $6B in sales. By far the most successful entertainment product in history.

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/news/gta-v-has-apparently-made-more-money-than-any-movie-in-history-1834776

GTA V has made around $6 billion since its release in September 2013. This means GTA V has made more money than any book, film, record or video game ever released, and shows no signs of stopping.

(And I was laughed at in 1990 when I suggested at Activision we do a game titled "Drive By")

otoh in gtaV you can roleplay as a retired dad who goes shoe shopping and does yoga on a lazy sunday, so

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Mozi posted:

I used to play that game with my Dad, I don't think we ever got very far at all.

That drat vulture :argh:

We made the game totally unfair ON PURPOSE.

Thousands of YouTube videos bitching about it 25 years later.

My legacy.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

VideoGameVet posted:

That $6B figure either includes shark cards or assumes everyone who bought GTA paid at least $66 for it. It is based on an analyst quote and not a statement from the company.

If it includes shark cards, then any number of other physical gambling games have it beat in total all-time profits.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

boner confessor posted:

Eh not really. I mean character-wise it's pretty diverse and that's certainly cool, but in terms of gameplay it's like streamlined Team Fortress with a few MOBA elements. Overwatch doesn't appeal to non-traditional FPS gamers any more than Warcraft 3 appealed to non-traditional RTS gamers or WoW appealed to non-traditional MMO gamers. It's a game made more polished and accessible, but it's still very much a "core" game, not a casual one. In fact when it came out, part of its "story" was that it was somewhat of a return to "90's shooters" because it doesn't have killstreaks or progression or that other modern nonsense.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
It could end up like 3D TVs. Works fine but a lot of content won't benefit from it and most users will be fine just doing without.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cicero posted:

Eh not really. I mean character-wise it's pretty diverse and that's certainly cool, but in terms of gameplay it's like streamlined Team Fortress with a few MOBA elements.

yeah but i'm talking about art direction and character design here - definitely taking inspiration from team fortress 2 and how it's a bit "cartoony", but also overwatch has some whimsy as well, not so serious and tactical like call of duty, pubg, counterstrike etc. like breaking from the whole military inspired thing helps, not focusing on guns so much as just, weapons, and so on

like lots of people enjoy the gameplay of lets run around and shoot at each other bang bang but without the whole, splashing tangos element of it

Cicero posted:

Overwatch doesn't appeal to non-traditional FPS gamers any more than Warcraft 3 appealed to non-traditional RTS gamers or WoW appealed to non-traditional MMO gamers.

i think blizzard recognized the value in trying to appeal directly to women, they're definitely underserved in the 'serious' game category. iirc overwatch has 16% female playerbase which is record breaking

Cicero posted:

In fact when it came out, part of its "story" was that it was somewhat of a return to "90's shooters" because it doesn't have killstreaks or progression or that other modern nonsense.

also blizzard does well to play loose with the 'story' and directly engage with fanart and fan canon. pretty much coopting tumblr as a marketing tactic. it helps to not treat your story as if it is some sacred and completely serious thing - the dva emote where she plays games and pigs out on junk food is directly a response to fan portrayals of her character as a horrible gamer stereotype

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

boner confessor posted:

we can't really gauge how big the fps market would be since the fps market is generally highly focused on a profitable niche of predominantly male, military fetishist gamers

Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

16% female user base might be record breaking for the FPS genre, but there are plenty of genres that are overwhelmingly female

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Arglebargle III posted:

16% female user base might be record breaking for the FPS genre, but there are plenty of genres that are overwhelmingly female

oh for sure - the sims off the top of my head

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Ynglaur posted:

Perhaps a bit semantic, but a right given is a right that be taken. Say rather that law makers should be held accountable for respecting our inherent rights.

its a bit abstract to say anything involving tech has inherent rights attached to it. The right to privacy is not afforded to us automatically, its why we have amendments defining search and seizure. I'm sure a more lawyerly goon can comment on such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

BlueBlazer posted:

its a bit abstract to say anything involving tech has inherent rights attached to it. The right to privacy is not afforded to us automatically, its why we have amendments defining search and seizure. I'm sure a more lawyerly goon can comment on such.

The bill of rights is supposed to be a non-exhaustive list of inherent rights, not a grant from the government. That's why the Ninth Amendment is there.