Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If by some miracle I got a counter offer that was the same or higher than an offer from outside, I would take it and then probably move team internally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

my retention bonus is not a counter offer and i already have it in writing

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

i applied to two separate but similar positions at different locations for a large company. i've been moving along the process with the more desirable of the two but a separate HR person contacted me about the other. i think im just going to start the process again with the other position and i figure they will eventually notice i applied for more than one position.

maybe its bad form to apply for multiple openings but i'm going to apply when i see something that looks good instead of wading through the list of poo poo on a job listing page and making sure its the best

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

It's perfectly acceptable to apply for multiple positions at the same company. The recruiter will see them and pick the one you're more likely to succeed at interview based on discussions with the hiring managers.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

the internal recruiter for the company i'm talking to says they applied me to multiple positions for them internally so i don't imagine it's that big a deal

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qhat posted:

It's perfectly acceptable to apply for multiple positions at the same company. The recruiter will see them and pick the one you're more likely to succeed at interview based on discussions with the hiring managers.

it's also not unusual to have more than one interview if more than one group expresses interest in you

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Rex-Goliath posted:

i had this exact same hangup over my last job. it's not worth it

i have and it backfired horrifically. i wouldn't do it unless you have a very good relationship with your employer with a long history of strong mutual trust.

Yeah I did it with a company I trusted and it worked out in the end. I wanted to leave Mexico and got a couple of job offers in Germany, but my company counter offered with a position in Seattle if we could land this one client. I stuck by for another year, during which time I flew to Saudi Arabia and installed our software and got it accepted by the customer. On the day I was leaving back to Mexico the client said they had to put a hold on our project and we were all like WTF. Turns out some VP was embezzling money and submitting giant POs from our company and others and then pocketed the difference. All of the projects under his care were effectively poo poo canned, :rip: that guy.

After that fiasco I started job searching again and got an offer from Amazon and ended up in Seattle anyway lol. After a year at Amazon I wasn't happy and my old boss offered me that position again but I had them match my Amazon salary :owned:

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Janitor Prime posted:

After a year at Amazon I wasn't happy

Typical.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Fiedler posted:

Typical.

I was mostly pissed off about their paternity leave not existing, and then once they added it, it was only for employees that had been there for +1 year. gently caress em

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

amazon usually pisses me off somewhere in the interview process that feels more like trying to test out of intro to algorithms than job interview

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Janitor Prime posted:

I was mostly pissed off about their paternity leave not existing, and then once they added it, it was only for employees that had been there for +1 year. gently caress em
Lol @ having a family and working at Amazon. Pick one.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
isnt amazon the one that makes you install spyware to interview

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

isnt amazon the one that makes you install spyware to interview

i think amazon did at one time, and i remember the online coding thing i did for them had a bunch of poo poo i had to agree to
i know Epic still did as of last year, and it wasnt even a coding specific platform either

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

i'm the telephone that needs to be rooted before they will give you a phone screen

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Shaman Linavi posted:

i think amazon did at one time, and i remember the online coding thing i did for them had a bunch of poo poo i had to agree to
i know Epic still did as of last year, and it wasnt even a coding specific platform either

you should have seen the internal e-mail thread that blew up when people found out recruiting had started that spyware coding app thing. that initiative was shut down very quickly

i get the appeal from a recruiting perspective (a way to effectively screen candidates without trying to constantly wrangle SDEs to do phone screens!) but you just explode trust by forcing spyware on people. almost better to let the cheaters through anyways and have them get filtered at a phone screen

Steve Jorbs posted:

Lol @ having a family and working at Amazon. Pick one.

I know teams/projects where it is pretty darn hard to balance work/family, but in my org (fairly large AWS service) there's quite a few people who have families of various sizes and shapes and they seem pretty content. ymmv

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shaman Linavi posted:

They do? I just sent to some testing center like you would for a licensing exam or something.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

the fact that cheating is an effective method of getting an interview at amazon shows how utterly worthless 1hour online tests or whatever are at screening out candidates. spend half an hour talking to them on the phone and you'll screen out 90% of the idiots, as opposed to like 20% from an online exam.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

cis autodrag posted:

They do? I just sent to some testing center like you would for a licensing exam or something.

maybe not exactly spyware but this is from ProctorU who they had me test with last time

don't know if they changed or not, Epic is also the company that won't let me update my resume on their website lol

edit: also, they did NOT ask for permission when they took over my mouse to scribble on the screen to "STOP TALKING"

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shaman Linavi posted:

maybe not exactly spyware but this is from ProctorU who they had me test with last time

don't know if they changed or not, Epic is also the company that won't let me update my resume on their website lol

edit: also, they did NOT ask for permission when they took over my mouse to scribble on the screen to "STOP TALKING"

Jesus, that sounds nothing like my interview process. That was back in 2011 when they were a full 7000 people smaller though so they've probably farmed it out to someone cheaper.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i would just laugh at the "proctor" until they hung up the phone

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Shaman Linavi posted:

That is literally spyware.

Actually, malware would be a more appropriate name.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Here's a really good filtering tip: don't work somewhere that does that poo poo

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

qhat posted:

the fact that cheating is an effective method of getting an interview at amazon shows how utterly worthless 1hour online tests or whatever are at screening out candidates. spend half an hour talking to them on the phone and you'll screen out 90% of the idiots, as opposed to like 20% from an online exam.

i agree, and they still had a phone screen anyways. really it was just filtering out the bottom NN% of candidates at the expense of pissing off all of the candidates.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Here's a really good filtering tip: don't work somewhere that does that poo poo

Interviews go both ways, and all that.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

too bad you rarely meet your coworkers / other managers during interviewing. My current place (which i am leaving 1st of may :woop: ) has a manager who's described by my colleagues as a "roadblock to getting anything done"

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
senior engineer at work basically told me to start looking for new jobs because our upper management blows rear end today

like, I have been for a couple months now, but I'd really prefer a remote job but every remote job wants you to have already had a remote job. and all the local jobs are lovely defense contractors

anyone hiring a remote (USA) person who can write good java, acceptable javascript*, a bunch of functional languages nobody uses especially rust and elixir, with interests in distributed systems and security?

seriously yesterday I read papers on paxos for fun, I think I'm broken

*: for javascript levels of "acceptable"

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 11, 2018

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
let's all get together and make a yospos startup

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sapozhnik posted:

That would be the most toxic working environment ever. Have you ever seen photos from gooncon or gooncamp?

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

cis autodrag posted:

That would be the most toxic working environment ever

Disproof by counterexample: Google.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cis autodrag posted:

That would be the most toxic working environment ever. Have you ever seen photos from gooncon or gooncamp?

and if you become a public face of a successful goon corp killary will get you

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Sapozhnik posted:

Look I know you're British, but you're not that stupid

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

*room is dimmed to a pitch dark ambience with an amber light illuminating the cracks in the poorly maintained building. it's an interview for the yospos startup...*

Do..do you have stairs in your house?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

qhat posted:

amber light

Raus.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Arcsech posted:

senior engineer at work basically told me to start looking for new jobs because our upper management blows rear end today

like, I have been for a couple months now, but I'd really prefer a remote job but every remote job wants you to have already had a remote job. and all the local jobs are lovely defense contractors

anyone hiring a remote (USA) person who can write good java, acceptable javascript*, a bunch of functional languages nobody uses especially rust and elixir, with interests in distributed systems and security?

Heroku might fit some of these criterias -- hiring US remotes with JS and some front-end and tools teams also do Elixir. But there also be a bunch of go in there

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

MononcQc posted:

Heroku might fit some of these criterias -- hiring US remotes with JS and some front-end and tools teams also do Elixir. But there also be a bunch of go in there

heroku sounds loving cool but I have an aversion to remote since the last one I did ate so much poo poo and I fear the remote aspect of it had a negative effect on my well being

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Arcsech posted:

IME people aren't super picky about whether or not you have remote experience, so much as making sure you've thought about if it will actually work well for you. and, in fairness, it's not really the company making sure they don't hire a slacker, more that you won't instantly burn out and be miserable and leave

i'm almost at 6 straight years of remote work ama

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i got rejected for company B (their feedback was that i didnt give enough specific examples insome of the "culture" behavioural questions) which is pretty disheartening, they should have just asked me to give more detail rather than smiling and looking pleased with my answers

interviews with company A i felt went well, will hear back from them tomorrow hopefully

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Valeyard posted:

i got rejected for company B (their feedback was that i didnt give enough specific examples insome of the "culture" behavioural questions) which is pretty disheartening, they should have just asked me to give more detail rather than smiling and looking pleased with my answers

interviews with company A i felt went well, will hear back from them tomorrow hopefully

thats the most bullshit "uh we went with someone else" from company b

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Valeyard posted:

Well, looks like your multiple offers problem sorted itself out!

That sucks though. I got strung along for two weeks after an interview I thought went really well with a similar response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sapozhnik posted:

it's like a circlejerk but everyone is just making GBS threads into a giant pile and giggling about how cogent their poo poo is