Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Where's my war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
why does everyone in cspam have gigantic "ironic" war boners now? creepily reminiscent of 2002-3

cargo cult has issued a correction as of 13:54 on Apr 10, 2018

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

cargo cult posted:

why does everyone in cspam have gigantic "ironic" war boners now? creepily reminiscent of 2002-3

We all dehumanized ourselves and faced to bloodshed

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Like of course this is all horrible and unjust

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
israel just killed a bunch of iranians in syria

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

cargo cult posted:

i don't really have a war boner, but it definitely is feeling more inevitable now than ever

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

assad: well this is one of the last holdouts of the rebels and i'm 90% close to win as long as i don't piss off my allies and the rest of the world. hmmm better gas those dudes lol

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

https://twitter.com/brolykogan_/status/983008919151923200

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
That has to be one of the worst tweets of all time

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

rudatron posted:

That has to be one of the worst tweets of all time

check his tl, it owns

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Russia sent a group of Defense folks to investigate and they "found nothing," and now Assad has invited an independent watchdog to investigate.

I don't know if any of this matters, but at least Trump or May haven't bombed anything yet.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

yikes

https://twitter.com/MrCraw4D/status/983010118416719873

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Karl Barks posted:

check his tl, it owns

https://twitter.com/brolykogan_/status/983686128464285696

You can't refute this.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

this man owns

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Plutonis posted:

assad: well this is one of the last holdouts of the rebels and i'm 90% close to win as long as i don't piss off my allies and the rest of the world. hmmm better gas those dudes lol
except assad's repeatedly pushed and tested American boundaries, resulting mostly in ineffectual reprisals. i think it follows that considering he's 90% close to winning now would be the time where he'd get even friskier and more daring than usual, I don't think your conclusion follows at all. I think you'd infer the opposite. now is the least likely and tenable moment for Western regime change. if there were still a bunch of rebel holdouts then gassing would be a lot more internationally risky.
and purportedly it helped aid their negotiations for that evacuation of fighters

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

"90% close to winning" is only true of East Ghouta, but there are still other pockets of rebel held areas around Damascus and in the South, and rebels still control the province of Idlib which now has a significant Turkish presence. The Turks and their allied militias also control the north from Afrin to the outskirts of Manbij. The weight of momentum is on the side of the state, but they're still in a tenuous position and a major intervention could put the wind back into rebel sails and turn the course of the war.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
fair enough, if you'd characterize there being enough rebel presence in the country still for a western meddling to remain tenable then it would be a risky move to make.
trump is unpredictable, dumb, has Bolton alongside him, and could be looking for a foreign distraction. so I guess there would still possibly be some risks in using gas to mop up rebel pockets.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Punkin Spunkin posted:

fair enough, if you'd characterize there being enough rebel presence in the country still for a western meddling to remain tenable then it would be a risky move to make.
trump is unpredictable, dumb, has Bolton alongside him, and could be looking for a foreign distraction. so I guess there would still possibly be some risks in using gas to mop up rebel pockets.

If the state could still lose the war is an open question. If it's just an air war like Libya where we bomb all of their heavy weapons then the war could drag out for years, but the other problem is how do you bomb Syria with any meaningful amount of force without risking war with Russia? Either we commit acts of war against Russian forces, in which case all bets are off, or we'd be hitting isolated targets like Israel does which has practically no meaningful outcome anyway.

The third possibility I suppose is that the Syrians sue for peace and Syria effectively becomes three or four different countries. That's also not so good, because when the rebels have carved out their enclaves from Syria then they're gonna start turning on each other to determine who gets to be Emir or Sultan.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

drat. an old rear end map. guess that settles things.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

cargo cult posted:

the same reason everyone has "ironic" boners for economic collapse

everyone knows where this poo poo is going. let's just get there already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6YXm4b3H5c

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

cargo cult posted:

maybe youre right im just some dumbass and i dont have the heart to follow any of this closely. does that mean it was different rebel groups false flagging themselves every time going back to 2013 despite it never having the intended effect of drawing in UK/US/France/gcc?

No, it's Assad has probably used gas in the past, it's also possible that he used gas this time as well, it's also possible it was the rebels, or the CIA, none of these options are non possibilities, Assad just invited an independent watchdog to investigate, believing any narrative absolutely is silly. In my opinion, even if Assad did use gas on the rebels, I don't think that changes anything, the problem with outrage against Assads atrocities is that he's still literally the best of bad options, and leaving Assad and Russia/Iran to finish the war is the best possible scenario.
All other options extend the civil war indefinitely and greatly increase the chances of worse forces than Assad, Al Qaeda, Al Nursa, ISIL, GCC backed militants, gaining control of more territory, or in the worst case scenario, the US launching a full invasion ala Iraq, attempting to set up a provisional government after years of protracted war in the region, then it completely falling apart and the region falling into dissarray as soon as we leave, or you know, open war with Russia and nuclear apocalypse.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
i dont disagree. all of those are lovely outcomes and it seems like the best way to draw things down asap is to let assad/russia/iran finish, however long that takes. altho as pener said i dont see how the US can somehow easily or quickly depose assad without shooting at russian forces so i dont think escalated US involvement is inevitable. russians have committed a lot more blood and treasure at this point and i think a fair amt of international prestige to keeping assad alive. (idk if that last bit means as much as the media says it does but w/e)

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/983737010321068032

lols

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Frijolero posted:

Russia sent a group of Defense folks to investigate and they "found nothing," and now Assad has invited an independent watchdog to investigate.

remember when hans blix did all those investigations in iraq and said that there weren't any wmds because there weren't any wmds and then the us invaded anyway

saying "assad did it, but don't invade" is helping further american warmongering by supporting a lie that will be used as a casus belli

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cargo cult posted:

i dont disagree. all of those are lovely outcomes and it seems like the best way to draw things down asap is to let assad/russia/iran finish, however long that takes. altho as pener said i dont see how the US can somehow easily or quickly depose assad without shooting at russian forces so i dont think escalated US involvement is inevitable. russians have committed a lot more blood and treasure at this point and i think a fair amt of international prestige to keeping assad alive. (idk if that last bit means as much as the media says it does but w/e)

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/983737010321068032

lols

hosed up for glenn to betray assad like that

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Prav posted:

saying "assad did it, but don't invade" is helping further american warmongering by supporting a lie that will be used as a casus belli

i think america will probably invade whether or not anyone says "assad did it, but don't invade" so it doesn't really matter

it doesn't seem inconceivable to me that assad used chemical weapons. i don't know why saying that out loud is some kind of act of propaganda

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

It's happening

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
https://twitter.com/HansNichols/status/983842126101393408

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

cargo cult posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTLL_6A2fA0

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

oh god that really is a perfect visual metaphor actually

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

lol

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
trump wants his big boy war and he’s going to get it

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
what happens if nothing happens

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

cargo cult posted:

pretty much the best case scenario is everyone fires off enough ordinance to feel better, emotionally, and goes back to not really caring

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

cargo cult posted:

same as last time, america rests for a month or two and then tries again

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
i just dont get why everyones at least performatively convinced that This Is The BIg One. trump tweeting about his bigger and better working button was at least as volatile and nothing came of that either. to say nothing of the fact that nothing happened after we kind of blew up that syrian runway either. whatever i guess

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

cargo cult posted:

i just dont get why everyones at least performatively convinced that This Is The BIg One. trump tweeting about his bigger and better working button was at least as volatile and nothing came of that either. to say nothing of the fact that nothing happened after we kind of blew up that syrian runway either. whatever i guess

bolton

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

cargo cult posted:

I'm gonna be thrilled if we don't bomb things but at the same time I see absolutely no conflict with pillorying Trump as being the worlds ultimate puss.

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

may and macron being on board also

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

its this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
just for a little perspective on how far the FP discourse in the white house has deteriorated:

quote:

Anton published a widely read essay in conservative circles before the 2016 election under a pseudonym that compared the presidential race to the doomed 11 September, 2001, flight that crashed in Pennsylvania after passengers charged the cockpit.

“2016 is the Flight 93 election: charge the cockpit or you die,” he wrote.

“To compound the metaphor: a Hillary Clinton presidency is Russian Roulette with a semi-auto. With Trump, at least you can spin the cylinder and take your chances.”

^^^ this is the guy who quit the day before Bolton came on because he's too tame

Mad Dog Mattis is the loving dove in the room, now.