Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

TinTower posted:

People are pretty salty about Finn Balor tonight:

I initially saw WWE's tweet about it, saw 69 responses and thought 'how many of these are going to be people pointing out the whole Saudi Arabia thing'
Turns out not very many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ChrisBTY posted:

I initially saw WWE's tweet about it, saw 69 responses and thought 'how many of these are going to be people pointing out the whole Saudi Arabia thing'
Turns out not very many.

I imagine Finn will miraculously 'forget' his rainbow merch/gear in a couple of weeks and then find it again the next Monday.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

there are a lot of wrestling fans that still get very offended when people call it "fake"

like shouldn't that be something you get over in middle school

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Being told something you obviously already know by people who think so little of you that they think they're enlightening you can be irritating yes.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

ChrisBTY posted:

Being told something you obviously already know by people who think so little of you that they think they're enlightening you can be irritating yes.

That's not the part people who get up in arms on twitter about wrestling being called fake are mad about.

I believe the line they use is "Wrestling isn't fake, it's scripted".

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I mean, I get why it's annoying. No one stands up in the middle of Avengers and goes "Hey, this movie is fake"

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I believe Conor McGregor called pro wrestling fake a few days before one of his fights in the most blatantly obvious trolling attempts possible and a whole shitton of wrestlers, including like Rollins and Styles, got very angry.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I just feel like it's an oversimplification, they still get hurt, hence the stunning amount of dudes in the business dead by 45

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

rare Magic card l00k posted:

I believe Conor McGregor called pro wrestling fake a few days before one of his fights in the most blatantly obvious trolling attempts possible and a whole shitton of wrestlers, including like Rollins and Styles, got very angry.

On the flip side, Conor is not what you'd call smart, or a role model on how to behave.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

On the flip side, Conor is not what you'd call smart, or a role model on how to behave.

I mean, how many people who beat other human beings unconscious for money would you consider good role model material?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Would you argue pro wrestlers are smart?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean, how many people who beat other human beings unconscious for money would you consider good role model material?

There's quite a few of normal well-adjusted face punchy types which is why Conor's complete lack of nuance was first thought to be a rather clever act. Until it became clear he really is a colossal loving moron with zero tact.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yes. Yes I would.

Steiner_Math.wmv

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

-er than Conor Mcgregor, yes.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I just feel like it's an oversimplification, they still get hurt, hence the stunning amount of dudes in the business dead by 45

That's the problem. "It's fake, hurrrr" comes from this place of smug dismissiveness, and like, you're not blowing anyone's mind over the age of 10 by pointing out that it's not a traditional sport, you're just being a pedantic dickhead. General "you", I mean.

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth
I didn't even know fin was making a statement, I thought he just had new rainbow gear. it looked good tho, really stood out. anyone who thinks treating your fellow man like a human being is "political junk" has an unthinkably limited understanding.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

On the whole, no, but there are several who I'd consider smarter than McGregor's dumb rear end. And very few would have pulled that stunt he pulled last week.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Sage Northcutt

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Conor's whole career is a work, so it's funny having him call something else fake

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean, I get why it's annoying. No one stands up in the middle of Avengers and goes "Hey, this movie is fake"

On the other hand, nobody goes to the Super Bowl and starts chanting “THIS IS FOOTBALL! 👏,👏,👏👏👏!”

But basically it’s a dick move to pull the “hurr durr fake fighting” argument in response to retirement due to injury.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Kevin Nash.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

I always get excited when someone tells me wrestling is fake, especially in real life. Most of the times they are fans of something like NFL or boxing. And sometimes I get real lucky and they like hockey.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

TinTower posted:

On the other hand, nobody goes to the Super Bowl and starts chanting “THIS IS FOOTBALL! 👏,👏,👏👏👏!”

.......I do

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I do but only during the breaks.

Got 'em.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Two Beans posted:

Kevin Nash.

And Kevin Nash was determined to do as little pro wrestling as possible. :thunk:

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

TinTower posted:

But basically it’s a dick move to pull the “hurr durr fake fighting” argument in response to retirement due to injury.

"SEC, SEC, SEC"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Marquis de Pyro posted:

"SEC, SEC, SEC"

Hell yeah

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

*Tom Brady walks onto Heinz Field*

rear end in a top hat! rear end in a top hat! rear end in a top hat! rear end in a top hat!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Wrestling is as real as everyone involved wants it to be.

Wrestling happens, I seent with mine own eyes.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Marquis de Pyro posted:

"SEC, SEC, SEC"

(Bama gets into college football playoffs over Ohio State, beats the defending champs, then comes back to win the national championship on a TD bomb on 2nd and 26 in overtime)

Nick Saban: "IT'S ME, URBAN! IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, URBAN!"

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
One time at work while I was gushing about last year's G1 a coworker walked up to me and said "You know it's fake right?" and I responded "So is Breaking Bad." He gave me a blank stare for a good 10 seconds before he acknowledged this and walked away.

It's been my go to for that kind of smug poo poo ever since.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Jack Anderson posted:

One time at work while I was gushing about last year's G1 a coworker walked up to me and said "You know it's fake right?" and I responded "So is Breaking Bad." He gave me a blank stare for a good 10 seconds before he acknowledged this and walked away.

It's been my go to for that kind of smug poo poo ever since.

And then everyone in the office stood up and clapped.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

sleepwalkers posted:

And that co-worker's name was Albert Einstein

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

sleepwalkers posted:

OldTennisCourt posted:

And that co-worker's name was Albert Einstein

Ok you got me, that didn't happen.

I was actually loving his girlfriend when I dropped that line.

Happy?

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth

TinTower posted:

On the other hand, nobody goes to the Super Bowl and starts chanting “THIS IS FOOTBALL!!

I'm not a football guy but I thought people did do this. football fans also strip down and paint their bodies, right? pro wrestling fans should do that too

also worked handoffs

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think you might see that chant if the NFL had been trying to get people to call it something besides football for three decades.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

tbh, deflategate is basically lazy bookers raiding the McMahon/Austin feud. Again.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

quote:

Meltzer is a bloviating, self-flagellating overwriter and that he's found a way to milk greater personal fame and fortune out of every major wrestler's death is disgusting.

I'm not sure what the alternative is. No one's allowed to write obits for wrestlers? A rotating roster of anonymous writers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Web Jew.0 posted:

I'm not sure what the alternative is. No one's allowed to write obits for wrestlers? A rotating roster of anonymous writers?

Especially since when older/less well known wrestlers the mainstream media doesn't recognize die, it's not like anybody else is gonna cover it, unless they're the only famous person their town has, then they might get a blurb.