Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
The delusion is that there is a season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Just binged the first season. Really makes me want to see Aubrey Plaza taking a major role in more series.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Zerilan posted:

Just binged the first season. Really makes me want to see Aubrey Plaza taking a major role in more series.

Seriously what is with Hollywood and loving typecasting.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

MiddleOne posted:

Seriously what is with Hollywood and loving typecasting.

The same thing as "what is it with Hollywood and remakes/sequels/rebranding something to another popular intellectual property?" Why take a risk when you can try to cash in on something that worked before?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

This show might be doing weird poo poo just for the sake of being weird, but I don't care. I'm all in.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

GreenNight posted:

This show might be doing weird poo poo just for the sake of being weird, but I don't care. I'm all in.

Most of this episode featured everything I hated about the first season (not much actually happening) but my god the dance sequence. :allears:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Woof. I know last season was crazy as poo poo and there's not really anywhere to go from there but down, but I was really disappointed by how conventional the opening episode of—

Wait, poo poo. Has my monitor been off this entire time? Well, let me just turn it back and restart it and—

:stare:

:stare:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yup.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I want the finale to be Admiral Fukuyama taking the basket off to reveal it was Patrick Stewart the whole time.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I really really liked season 1 and episode 1 of S2 seemed like it was trying way too hard, and frankly I was kinda bored except for the dance-off

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
That was truly terrifying.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Goddamn gently caress ticks

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
Just making sure I heard this right, did Cary mention the Shi'ar? Just name dropping it, buncha bird aliens nbd, not even the weirdest thing in this episode?

night slime
May 14, 2014
Pretty funny to hear Syd say David ends up beating Farouk's head in at the desert and the next scene is Farouk demanding David respect him a week before that theoretical beatdown happens.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Sesq posted:

Just making sure I heard this right, did Cary mention the Shi'ar?
Yup.

The show continues to find the best ways to depict psychic combat.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I won't be satisfied until I get to see Patrick Stewart gently caress a Bird Person.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Phi230 posted:

I really really liked season 1 and episode 1 of S2 seemed like it was trying way too hard, and frankly I was kinda bored except for the dance-off

Same, ep 2 was good though.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I still have no idea what's going on.

magnifique

10/10 for the Banana Splits song.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Its all imagination, or delusion. Check the background.

except david is probably powerful enough to shape the world to conform his delusion.

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Apr 11, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I dunno how I feel about this season yet but it’s still fun to watch and glorious to look at. Loved the fight scene in this episode.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Dark Off posted:

Its all imagination, or delusion. Check the background.

except david is probably powerful enough to shape the world to conform his delusion.

the giant green hands were in the initial zoom into the division 3 labs in the first episode, which didn't seem like it was from David's perspective at all - i only remember because it was so weird

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm glad Kerry is finally getting some lines that aren't generic "let's fight" ones, also David stop playing with fire and keep Farouk outside your drat mind you smart idiot.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ekeog posted:

the giant green hands were in the initial zoom into the division 3 labs in the first episode, which didn't seem like it was from David's perspective at all - i only remember because it was so weird

Hell I remember explicitly noticing those hands and they didn't even twig my "that's odd..." meter. My baseline for strange and unusual is so skewed with this show.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I really dig the Kerry/Carrie reversal. Its a great way to explore that relationship. I am kind of disappointed in the direction they are taking Melanie, I hoped she would be stronger than this.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

So can Clark get away with threatening David (or at least having tense conversations) because he's aware David hasn't fully realized his potential? It seems weird the dude was manipulating reality last season with no effort and everyone rightly feared him, and this season he's more of a "loose cannon taking orders from the man."

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Future Syd is trying to keep the SK alive to fight Legion who is the very big bad, right?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
^^^Oh yeah, 100% that.

Rocksicles posted:

10/10 for the Banana Splits song.

That creeped me the hell out. I was just thinking of that song this morning after not giving it a thought for probably twenty years.

Then they started singing it in the show :stonk:

swickles posted:

I really dig the Kerry/Carrie reversal. Its a great way to explore that relationship. I am kind of disappointed in the direction they are taking Melanie, I hoped she would be stronger than this.

When David walked into her room at the end there, they made a point of showing the slime trail of the rogue idea.

I wonder if the Idea is a specific thing or, as the scene with RED=GREEN implied, it's a idea which somehow turns everything to its opposite.

If we follow from that, the Kerry/Carrie reversal suddenly makes perfect sense.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Ugh that metaphor doesn't work because if you were trained wrong as a joke you'd still get all the reinforcing messages that "green" to you means stop from society, media and just generally living in the world. Like it only works if you specifically reserve the reveal for a one off prank.

Also, David is totally the big bad that they need the Shadow King to fight.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I liked the basket-view shots. Farouk's growl when he's finally cornered to agree to not-killing. The half-conversation between Lenny and Farouk leaving her fate unclear. And the Banana Splits song. I watched it on Nick at Nite, so a little before my time, but would've been right on track for Cary's age.

This is a tenuous theory, but I don't think it's totally ruled out yet: Syd dies. Farouk's close enough when it happens to keep her mind around and is wearing it like a mask to get David's help.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

JawnV6 posted:

I liked the basket-view shots. Farouk's growl when he's finally cornered to agree to not-killing. The half-conversation between Lenny and Farouk leaving her fate unclear. And the Banana Splits song. I watched it on Nick at Nite, so a little before my time, but would've been right on track for Cary's age.

This is a tenuous theory, but I don't think it's totally ruled out yet: Syd dies. Farouk's close enough when it happens to keep her mind around and is wearing it like a mask to get David's help.

I need to double-check, but hasn't every appearance of the slime trail occurred leading up to a scene where both David and Syd are present? And didn't Shadow King briefly pass through her mind on the way to Oliver's? Maybe she's the one with an invasive delusion.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I need to double-check, but hasn't every appearance of the slime trail occurred leading up to a scene where both David and Syd are present? And didn't Shadow King briefly pass through her mind on the way to Oliver's? Maybe she's the one with an invasive delusion.
In this last ep, there was a slime trail right before David hopped on the couch and told Oliver/Farouk "We need to talk" without Syd present? Otherwise yeah, the big one in episode 1 was when they were in bed together.

night slime
May 14, 2014
They should explain the missing arm as Cat Syd loving up and jumping from a high place thinking it's still in a cat body

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm gonna take a stab at who the villain is and say that it isn't David, but is going to be another interpretation of an X-Men villain. So my guesses are Proteus, who is in David's body, or some new version of Onslaught.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I will never get tired of Syd's general attitude towards David being "gently caress it, let's roll with that."

God drat, the Farouk reveal owned. No fireworks, just a quiet "sup it's actually me this time" followed by one of the most sinister monologues I've ever put into my eyeballs.

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm gonna take a stab at who the villain is and say that it isn't David, but is going to be another interpretation of an X-Men villain. So my guesses are Proteus, who is in David's body, or some new version of Onslaught.

Onslaught would own so hard and be perfect for it. Thanks, now I'm going to be disappointed when it doesn't happen :mad:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Chokes McGee posted:

God drat, the Farouk reveal owned. No fireworks, just a quiet "sup it's actually me this time" followed by one of the most sinister monologues I've ever put into my eyeballs.

Farouk is loving terrifying. His scene with Lenny when she was asking for a new body, Jesus.

"What will you do with this new life?"
"I'm gonna live the poo poo out of it!"
"And then?"
"...Die, I guess."
"...And then?"

:stonklol:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Chokes McGee posted:

Navid Negahban loving nailed that scene.

Classy, French and menacing is such a great combination.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 12, 2018

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Extremely fortunate recasting there. Nothing against Saïd Taghmaoui, but it's hard to picture him hitting anything like the same vibe. Negahban's juxtaposition of collected menace with fatherly charm is just perfect.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the guy playing Cary is nearly 70 years old. maybe I'm not a good judge but I would never have guessed that.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I read that the other day and it blew my mind. I would have guessed early 50s at most.

Re: The show, I have no clue what is happening this season and I love every minute of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Gorilla Salad posted:

Navid Negahban loving nailed that scene.

Classy, French and menacing is such a great combination.

Isn't Farouk Moroccan? They do speak French there but also Arabic and Italian. He spoke a bunch of languages in that scene, not just French and English

e: Spanish not Italian

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Apr 12, 2018