Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

CodfishCartographer posted:

The point (that goons seem to be willfully ignoring) is that there are racist / stereotypical aspects of Apu’s character aside from just a white guy doing a voice. The convenience store owner character didn’t need to be Indian. The Indian character didn’t need to be a convenience store owner, or have an arranged marriage, or have 8 kids, or live in an apartment that looks like this:

But how would we, the regular viewers, know Apu and Manjula are different if they didn't install that Arabic doorway in their apartment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
Several years ago some white friends of mine who are a married couple dressed up as Muslims for halloween. Husband had this huge beard which helped complete the look. They got all the clothes on loan from their Muslim friends who were totally down with the idea and only stipulated that they not drink liquor while wearing the clothes. Everywhere downtown that they went, Muslims that they met were enthusiastic and delighted at their costumes and took pictures with them. The only people who gave them a hard time about it were white people.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hooray! Everyone will react the same *puts on blackface, heads out on the town*

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Junk posted:

Several years ago some white friends of mine who are a married couple dressed up as Muslims for halloween. Husband had this huge beard which helped complete the look. They got all the clothes on loan from their Muslim friends who were totally down with the idea and only stipulated that they not drink liquor while wearing the clothes. Everywhere downtown that they went, Muslims that they met were enthusiastic and delighted at their costumes and took pictures with them. The only people who gave them a hard time about it were white people.

ok what forgotten animated show is this from then

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Junk posted:

Is that hallelujah I hear... the version from shrek??

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

It's from real life, give it a shot sometime.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

The lowest point was found.
. Idc about whatever dipshit takes the average GBS guy has to offer about race

Gas.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Junk posted:

It's from real life, give it a shot sometime.

no way man

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Junk posted:

And then the visual gag that they do a hard cut to is that they're walking down a street wearing perfectly normal jeans and shirts

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Real life, not even once

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

The Simpsons, former rebel, has seen itself live long enough to become The Man

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

The_Rob posted:

And again I said that's a valid complaint, but beyond that he is a well rounded respected character who I can tell you his life motivations, opinions, religious beliefs, and pop culture opinions. He really isn't a 1 dimensional character. Hell even the episode where he cheats on his wife is done pretty progressively as it ends with his wife being upset and not sure if she can trust him but is willing to try.

That episode was pretty grosss

Speaking as a dude who clowned on the thirsty Indian Facebook thread

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I generally like Apu's personality, at least in earlier seasons that I'm most familiar with. It's okay to like something and acknowledge that it's problematic and probably never should have been the way it is. That doesn't make you a racist or anything - unless the thing you like IS the racist stuff, I guess.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Alan Smithee posted:

That episode was pretty grosss

Speaking as a dude who clowned on the thirsty Indian Facebook thread

Yeah it was a weird episode that way way beyond good simpsons episodes already. I just remember thinking it was neat that it ended with them wanting to work on their relationship.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The last Apu episode I can think of was where he was in a garage cover band with Homer but got noticed for his beautiful singing voice and brought in to tour the real rock band they were covering. I turned it off for being such a pervasive stereotype.

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

The_Rob posted:

You're right. All the characters should just be white.

They went over this in the doc, the part was written as "clerk" and they actually made a note that it should not be an Indian as that would be cliche. Then Azaria said "35 cents please" in an Indian voice, it got a huge laugh, and voila.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I mean, it was a funny voice sometimes. Imagine a white dude saying "now this is just between you and me, smashed hat. ;)"

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Junk posted:

You forgot to add the part where all the Muslims stood up and clapped after your friend dressed down the woke hipster straw man for being the TRUE racist.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Dylan McKay posted:

yes everyone who thinks it's stupid to care about a lovely old tv show and its crappy handling of race is a racist

Oh I don’t care. You better believe I don’t care. Let me post in the thread and respond to anyone suggesting I don’t care, just in case someone ends up thinking I do care. I’d hate for someone to think I cared.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Judakel posted:

I think you're confused: we don't care about that hipster douchebag's issue. The simpsons still suck.

Go back to 2009 you huge bitch

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I don't care, I just like to laugh and stir the pot. I should probably replace my avatar with Hazel from the bugs bunny cartoons stirring her cauldron

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Who are all these people with opinions who don't have rap sheets.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Who the gently caress still uses the word hipster in The Year Of Our Lord Two Thousand Eighteen

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Sentient Data posted:

I don't care, I just like to laugh and stir the pot. I should probably replace my avatar with Hazel from the bugs bunny cartoons stirring her cauldron

Got it. Jotted a little note down in my book here. “Sentient Data don’t care.” It’ll come in handy for future reference. :)

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

The_Rob posted:

You're right. All the characters should just be white.

It's the Simpsons, though, so don't you mean yellow?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

JediTalentAgent posted:

It's the Simpsons, though, so don't you mean yellow?

No that's a bit racist imo

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

So back to the actual topic, who's the latest celebrity cameo?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Sentient Data posted:

hopefully vince mcmahon

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Milo and POTUS posted:

The people who whined about the simpsons being offensive back in the day were not remotely the people who did so because of Apu are you loving high.

Thats right this is a different type of whiner

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sentient Data posted:

Daniel Radcliffe as himself at a Minecraft convention where he dressed up in costume to avoid attention and then Homer unmasks him and he gets swarmed by fans.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I'm trying to think of the most boring yet plausible celebrity cameo which might have happened, and my mind has already settled on Vince Vaughn. Time to do a quick google to find his episode.

E: Vince Vaughn hasn't been on the Simpsons, I'm shocked

Fingerless Gloves fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 11, 2018

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Improbable Lobster posted:

Who the gently caress still uses the word hipster in The Year Of Our Lord Two Thousand Eighteen

People that aren't hipsters that want to mock hipsters and need some kind of noun to lump hipsters into. Perhaps a word like "hipster".

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Improbable Lobster posted:

Who the hell says two thousand eighteen instead of twenty eighteen wtf

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Riptor posted:

a pretty valid criticism / suggestion for improvement that kondabolu made was that Apu doesn't actually own the kwik-e-mart, and that by now he probably should

smithers was originally black for an episode and they realized that maybe having a sycophantic black man to a rich white man wasn't a great look so they made him white. which, the fact that they were aware enough of race dynamics to rectify that but still make the kwik-e-mart guy Indian says something about their blind spots with regard to south asian representations

IIRC Smithers being black has been said to have been an error from the studio that did the first season.

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
Otm... Shank

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Razorwired posted:

You forgot to add the part where all the Muslims stood up and clapped after your friend dressed down the woke hipster straw man for being the TRUE racist.

What the gently caress are you even talking about?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Junk posted:

Nice spoilers. Next week's episode sounds bad.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

SpazmasterX posted:

People that aren't hipsters that want to mock hipsters and need some kind of noun to lump hipsters into. Perhaps a word like "hipster".

Hipsters are about as relevant as beatniks and goths

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Sentient Data posted:

"King Leer" April 15, 2018
Guest stars: Ray Liotta as Morty Szyslak; Moe's father, Debi Mazar as Minnie Szyslak; Moe's sister

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Riptor posted:

a pretty valid criticism / suggestion for improvement that kondabolu made was that Apu doesn't actually own the kwik-e-mart, and that by now he probably should

smithers was originally black for an episode and they realized that maybe having a sycophantic black man to a rich white man wasn't a great look so they made him white. which, the fact that they were aware enough of race dynamics to rectify that but still make the kwik-e-mart guy Indian says something about their blind spots with regard to south asian representations

no, they coloured him wrong early due to a mistake in production, it wasn't intentional: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ers-yellow.html