Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That seems designed to deflect criticism via distraction in a very Trumpy way. Let’s hope they’re not stupid and evil enough to have intentionally revealed his identity as some kind of return strike because—as Dan just said—their transgressions are basically just things that need a clear, good-faith apology to move on from. Maybe don’t potentially expose a teen victim to the internet swarm and cause who knows what else in an act that does nothing to address the original accusation that they ignored or covered for a rapist. The rapist’s identity is irrelevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Darth Walrus posted:

MarzGurl has just confirmed that JewWario was the producer who was kicked off Channel Awesome for grooming an underage fan. After CA’s management covered it up for a year. Oh, hell.

https://twitter.com/marzgurl/status/984390105681969153?s=21

*kisses lips with the tips of his fingers*

Exquisite

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Exquisite

what the gently caress is your problem. Carmichal's suicide shook the whole community and he's been memorialized ever since, and now this comes out? this is the nightmare scenario. there's no schadenfreud here. this if The Worst.

DoctorGonzo1969
Apr 8, 2018

The guy tweeting at Marzgurl up there is also someone who's apparently been tweeting with that scumbag Metokur. I'm worried that there's going to be some harassment towards them soon from people claiming they were covering up Justin's actions.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

DoctorWhat posted:

what the gently caress is your problem. Carmichal's suicide shook the whole community and he's been memorialized ever since, and now this comes out? this is the nightmare scenario. there's no schadenfreud here. this if The Worst.

Imagine if a burning ship was sinking and suddenly it turned out there were fireworks in the hull.

It's such an unexpected escalation of everything that you have to be in awe of it

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

rujasu posted:

Back in the day, when it was pretty active, I was a semi-regular on Spoony's forum. A lot of other CA folks posted there at the time. One thing I remember is that there was one guy with a weird, random account name who was apparently Michaud. Either he said he was, or other people confirmed that he was, or both, but in any case, pretty certain it was him. Anyway, he had like 20 posts and all of them were pretty much just him coming out of nowhere to go off on people who posted mild criticism of CA. I don't think I ever had any interaction with him though, just noticed him going off on other folks.

Also, I'm half-expecting the video response to feature the return of Douchey McNitpick or whatever he was called.
poo poo I forgot he used to post there, too bad that forum is dead (though that stuff is probably lost to the sands of time, which is probably for the best since none of you need to see my dumb 15 year old teen posts)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

MarzGurl has just confirmed that JewWario was the producer who was kicked off Channel Awesome for grooming an underage fan. After CA’s management covered it up for a year. Oh, hell.

https://twitter.com/marzgurl/status/984390105681969153?s=21

Well that's a twist I didn't see coming :suspense:.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So lemme get this straight. Michaud and company get tipped off that one of their producers is an abusive, predatory creep. They sit on this for an entire year as more stories of him being an abusive, predatory creep trickle in. Eventually, a breaking point is hit, and they fire him without letting anyone else in Channel Awesome know why. A year later, he kills himself, and they decide to make the memorial to him a for-profit exercise and don’t tell any of their people who are helping with the memorial out of respect for their fallen friend that they might know why he committed suicide, and it’s because he’s a goddamned rapist. It only comes out years later when they poorly censor his name when releasing details of disciplinary action they’ve taken in order to push back against the idea that they are callous, controlling megalomaniacs.

Christ on a bike.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 12, 2018

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

his friends finished his loving tokusatsu fan film, not knowing about any of this. this sucks

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Yeah, that confirms what I'd noticed last night with others, stayed silent and hoped I was wrong but uh.

This is going to get worse before it gets better.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

StealthArcher posted:

This is going to get worse

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

At least it seems like CA didn’t release this information themselves but were merely lazy in continuing to cover up things they had already covered up, not that it matters for the fresh nightmare this is going to cause anyone who ever contributed to CA.

Gamergate continues to pay awesome dividends.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
JewWario

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I'm sorry for alluding to it earlier but I had to vent it in some way, I just can't believe it.

Darth Walrus posted:

So lemme get this straight. Michaud and company get tipped off that one of their producers is an abusive, predatory creep. They sit on this for an entire year as more stories of him being an abusive, predatory creep trickle in. Eventually, a breaking point is hit, and they fire him without letting anyone else in Channel Awesome know why. A year later, he kills himself, and they decide to make the memorial to him a for-profit exercise and don’t tell any of their people who are helping with the memorial out of respect for their fallen friend that they might know why he committed suicide, and it’s because he’s a goddamned rapist. It only comes out years later when they poorly censor his name when releasing details of disciplinary action they’ve taken in order to push back against the idea that they are callous, controlling megalomaniacs.
Christ on a bike.
If it's true it's indeed hosed up on so many levels. I have no reason to doubt legitimacy atm :(.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Darth Walrus posted:

Christ on a bike.

this kinda destroys the idea that the people behind channel awesome were simply bad at managing a website and elevates them into actual factual fuckin scumbag shitheads.

i cannot imagine what this new revelation is going to mean to other ca contributors who were friends with him and not in the know about this poo poo. it's prolly gonna result in a whole new round of terrible awful harassment though :smith:

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

-Was dum-

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 12, 2018

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

My heart goes out to everyone who knew him. This would be extremely painful news in the best ("best") of circumstances.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Exquisite

StealthArcher posted:

Darkest Timeline paying dividends on the large and small scale

i am pretty disgusted that anyone is reacting this way to this. this sort of revelation about someone you knew and liked after they took their own life would be extremely fuckin hard to deal with and that is to say nothing about the harassment that is sure to result from this. it is garbage all around.

i feel real bad for the ca contributors, it's important to know about this sort of thing and everything else that has gone down over there but at the same time this poo poo fuckin sucks. there's no winners here.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Exquisite

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well that's a twist I didn't see coming :suspense:.
Considering the subject at hand I think these reactions are pretty gross.
Edit:^^Thankfully beaten to the punch

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i am pretty disgusted that anyone is reacting this way to this. this sort of revelation about someone you knew and liked after they took their own life would be extremely fuckin hard to deal with and that is to say nothing about the harassment that is sure to result from this. it is garbage all around.

i feel real bad for the ca contributors, it's important to know about this sort of thing and everything else that has gone down over there but at the same time this poo poo fuckin sucks. there's no winners here.

My heart sure goes out to the sexual predator and the people who protected a sexual predator

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

My heart sure goes out to the sexual predator and the people who protected a sexual predator
There is also a victim in the midst of this so excuse me if I'm not dragging out a big tub of popcorn to revel in that mess.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Yeah, I'll just remove that, it was dumb, sorry.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Ugh. This poo poo just keeps getting worse and worse :(

It had briefly occurred to me that it might be him, but then I thought he had left the site in 2014, shortly before he died. Apparently not.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Holy poo poo, this suddenly took a much darker turn than I expected. I was enjoying watching Channel Awesome go down in flames but I dunno if this is fun anymore.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sarcopenia posted:

Considering the subject at hand I think these reactions are pretty gross.
Edit:^^Thankfully beaten to the punch

I never meant mine as a brushoff of what happened. There's just only so many ways you can say "what the gently caress?!" when you get "JewWario was a rapist" dropped on you like that.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
I enjoy watching abusive assholes get dragged too but I wouldn't call of this "fun". But I might be too sensitive about all of this.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Sarcopenia posted:

I enjoy watching abusive assholes get dragged too but I wouldn't call of this "fun". But I might be too sensitive about all of this.

Watching the Michaud Fuckup Power Hour was fun in a kind of way, seeing him just dig the hole deeper every time.

This is not fun anymore.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Maybe I am numbed by being a Penn State alum

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Was JewWario a child rapist?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i mean, it could just be that those games are in fact among the best ever? like, the whole reason they keep making lists is because they still play loving phenomenally, especially when contrasted with the n64/ps1 era (hell, i'd say they've even aged a lot better than a large portion of the gamecube/xbox/ps2 libraries). that doesn't mean that there aren't much newer games that are among the best ever, and if some idiot is holding them up as examples of why 'games were so much better in my day :bahgawd:' then they can go gently caress themselves, but crying that they should not keep making lists of best games ever made strictly because some people say that is kinda dumb. at most there should be a separate category for games like ocarina of time which, while being one of the absolute most important and influential games ever made, has not aged gracefully at all, especially when compared with a link to the past or the wind waker.

I know I'm late to this, but I did actually address this further. Basically, yeah, I think that you need to categorize older games that were influential and good at the time but have aged really badly differently, and that in general games from before and after the fifth console generation are distinctively different enough to be worth viewing as separate bodies of work (especially since we're far enough out from 2000 that there's almost as much history after that than before for video games). I also generally think that a lot of these types of exercises are overly colored by nostalgia and overemphasize older games with good gameplay and little meaningful narrative over newer games that have good gameplay and narrative.

I also think that they have a terrible habit of including redundant entries. For example, in reference to the Halo discussion earlier, I don't think there's any reason to list Halo 1 and 2 individually, when you could just list "the Halo trilogy" and have something that was broadly representative of their impact, quality, and issues.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Well this is a hell of a thing to watch unravel.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

Holy poo poo, this suddenly took a much darker turn than I expected. I was enjoying watching Channel Awesome go down in flames but I dunno if this is fun anymore.

It was never really fun. There were economic consequences for blameless people at every step of these events, and relationships strained or broken, and fresh waves of harassment, and fresh disclosures of real abuse. CA management is dumb and their responses have been unbelievable, but there has been a human cost to what has happened. Let's not ignore how it was already hard for everyone caught up in CA's bad choices.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

business hammocks posted:

It was never really fun. There were economic consequences for blameless people at every step of these events, and relationships strained or broken, and fresh waves of harassment, and fresh disclosures of real abuse. CA management is dumb and their responses have been unbelievable, but there has been a human cost to what has happened. Let's not ignore how it was already hard for everyone caught up in CA's bad choices.

I was binging Dan Olson's videos last night and his videos on Vidme, React World, and YouTube Heroes seem relevant, in that Channel Awesome seems like another example of organizations positioning themselves as friends of content creators and everybody is happy and wonderful but in reality it's a business running for profit and exploiting people like every other organization is.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
^ I've always treated a decent amount of the CA drama as a microcosm of any job where a bunch of 20-somethings work together. Only difference being that their job is Internet Content, so all the various and sundry interpersonal bullshit that happens gets aired on the internet.

Of course, it's worse than that.

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Was JewWario a child rapist?

I'm missing a lot of the details here myself (if anyone knows more, feel free to supplement), but I think the throughline was that he was trying to groom a 16yo for sex. But I've also heard that the 16yo was actually 18, but that comes from people I don't trust.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 12, 2018

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

StealthArcher posted:

Watching the Michaud Fuckup Power Hour was fun in a kind of way, seeing him just dig the hole deeper every time.

This is not fun anymore.

Oh I very much enjoyed that too. This kind of talk just skeeves me out when this thing is about how people where hurt and abused. I think it's because it reminds me of the way the Encyclopedia Dramatica and Gamergate douchebags talk about this stuff. There's a lot of people creeping into the conversation to revel in the whole thing who have no compassion for the people who were hurt.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

StealthArcher posted:

This is not fun anymore.

we're also privileged enough to have been watching this poo poo as outsiders. it is important to remember that through it all are a bunch of ex-ca members, a handful of whom post in this thread, who while probably feeling pretty relieved to have this poo poo out in the open, have also been subject to harassment and have been exasperated and pissed off by the non-apologies and bullshit coming from michaud and company through all this poo poo.

i'll fully admit that i had an equal mix of enjoyment and disgust over poo poo that had come out before in a 'how deep does this rabbit hole go' way, but this new stuff just makes me feel lovely for everyone involved (well except the walkers, michaud and jewwario) and now i'm hoping this is the deepest that rabbit hole goes and nothing worse is out there.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

we're also privileged enough to have been watching this poo poo as outsiders. it is important to remember that through it all are a bunch of ex-ca members, a handful of whom post in this thread, who while probably feeling pretty relieved to have this poo poo out in the open, have also been subject to harassment and have been exasperated and pissed off by the non-apologies and bullshit coming from michaud and company through all this poo poo.

I mean let's not pretend any of us are better than those who slow down when passing a traffic accident

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i'll fully admit that i had an equal mix of enjoyment and disgust over poo poo that had come out before in a 'how deep does this rabbit hole go' way, but this new stuff just makes me feel lovely for everyone involved (well except the walkers, michaud and jewwario) and now i'm hoping this is the deepest that rabbit hole goes and nothing worse is out there.

Yeah, this sums it up best. As outside observers, the fallout can't touch us, and we just get to enjoy Michaud the Tire Fire. Every person on that document and many others have a large stake of their lives trapped in this shitcycle and it's about to get going with more shitheads harrassing them again.

gently caress this just all sucks.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

^^Quit explaining what I think better than I can. :mad:

Sarcopenia fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MisterBibs posted:

^ I've always treated a decent amount of the CA drama as a microcosm of any job where a bunch of 20-somethings work together. Only difference being that their job is Internet Content, so all the various and sundry interpersonal bullshit that happens gets aired on the internet.

Of course, it's worse than that.

I'm missing a lot of the details here myself (if anyone knows more, feel free to supplement), but I think the throughline was that he was trying to groom a 16yo for sex. But I've also heard that the 16yo was actually 18, but that comes from people I don't trust.

Is there somewhere to view the chat logs where they discussed the grooming and how they were going to release him?