Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

macaco time posted:

I think 8 and 9 were better but 10 and 10-2 definitely weren't. 6 is everyone's favorite but I just remember it being really easy.

Everytime someone talks about Tactics in comparison to mainline titles I just scoff but yes tactics is very good (we all know)

Please, 10, 10-2 were so much better than 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

bloom posted:

I was thinking just now and realized that FF7 is kinda bad. Well not really bad, but when you think about it 6, 8, 9, 10, 10-2 and Tactics are all better. So the most hyped game of the series was actually the worst for quite a while.

Stay tuned for more hot fried takes
7 is better than 8, but more importantly it also laid the groundwork for every subsequent FF game. Of course it's rough, Square had to learn to do a ton of new things. Ultimately its two biggest faults are the translation, and the decision to make it really easy because they had no faith in the audience.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Lol this guy thinks 7 is better than 8. Read the threas before posting you jackass.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Jimmy Hats posted:

Lol this guy thinks 7 is better than 8. Read the threas before posting you jackass.

He’s not wrong.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Jimmy Hats posted:

It is

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
8 is better, Barret can't save an entire game

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

bloom posted:

I was thinking just now and realized that FF7 is kinda bad. Well not really bad, but when you think about it 6, 8, 9, 10, 10-2 and Tactics are all better. So the most hyped game of the series was actually the worst for quite a while.

Ive always been in the minority here but I never understood the love for 9. I know it was touted as a return to form but I just thought it was boring. And I hate it when a villain goes "If I cant live forever Im going to destroy everything :smugbird: "

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

A. Beaverhausen posted:

10-2 is one of the best playing games in the whole drat series

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
I remember 9 getting boring in the second half but I forget why

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think it stated getting boring I the second half because they stopped going to towns/villages. They did those so well in that game.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think it stated getting boring I the second half because they stopped going to towns/villages. They did those so well in that game.

Yea aside from the summoner village which might be eiko living by herself I think everything but the central continent is uninhabited

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Meme Emulator posted:

Yea aside from the summoner village which might be eiko living by herself I think everything but the central continent is uninhabited

There are the dwarves, the Black Mage’s, and the weird shrine but yeah, all the big cities are on the main continent.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
9s world is super rich and lovingly realized so the lack of big cities outside the mist continent really bogs it down.

plus steiner freya and armants character development just disappears (not that armant even had any. i’m still upset about the first two tho)

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

9s world is super rich and lovingly realized so the lack of big cities outside the mist continent really bogs it down.

plus steiner freya and armants character development just disappears (not that armant even had any. i’m still upset about the first two tho)

You even forgot that he's named Amarant

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

Meme Emulator posted:

Ive always been in the minority here but I never understood the love for 9. I know it was touted as a return to form but I just thought it was boring. And I hate it when a villain goes "If I cant live forever Im going to destroy everything :smugbird: "

I started playing 9 and it's honestly kind of dull and balanced weirdly.

I'm outside lindblum and every random monster is destroying me and I don't have a healer character wtf

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

You even forgot that he's named Amarant

i knew it wasn’t right but i didn’t care

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah to be fair 9 does go downhill pretty bad in the second half. The first half is amazing though.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Toxx it then

Alright then, bucko.

:toxx:The Final Fantasy VII remake will never happen-neither will Half-Life 3:toxx:

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
You're gonna have to be more specific. They are going episodic, so are you saying none will ever be released or it will just never be completed?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

A. Beaverhausen posted:

sometimes when you're playing a lousy game you just have to 'grin and Barret'

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

fishing with the fam posted:

You're gonna have to be more specific. They are going episodic, so are you saying none will ever be released or it will just never be completed?

It will be a pay to win pachinko app for Android and Iphone.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Extra Large Marge posted:

It will be a pay to win pachinko app for Android and Iphone.
It's not Konami.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

bloom posted:

7 is very good. 6 is also very good. i might go so far as to say the only truly bad final fantasy is the DS remake of 3.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

if barret had been a party member in ff8, he would've had ten sentences of dialogue over the course of the entire game. three of them are only viewable if you show him zell's room during the balamb occupation sequence

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Yeah, gently caress Cid.

Every FF game should have had a character named Barret that all looked and acted same with the only variation between them being what form his prosthetic hand was.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

7 is very good. 6 is also very good. i might go so far as to say the only truly bad final fantasy is the DS remake of 3.

OG II is dog-turds from a butt.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

OG II is dog-turds from a butt.

I'm glad it exists since it's basically the prototype for SaGa but yeah no reason to actually play it.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

LinYutang posted:

I started playing 9 and it's honestly kind of dull and balanced weirdly.

I'm outside lindblum and every random monster is destroying me and I don't have a healer character wtf

you gotta grind up early in 9. 9 is great though. worth a play, for sure

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

P-Mack posted:

I'm glad it exists since it's basically the prototype for SaGa but yeah no reason to actually play it.

i appreciate how broke it is. like the ultimate spell that the only good npc dies to give you is shittier than a spell you start with. lol.

impure flutter
May 31, 2014

8 was the most fashionable game I think i've ever played. Whole thing felt like a can of fresh linen febreeze.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

macaco time posted:

8 was the most fashionable game I think i've ever played. Whole thing felt like a can of fresh linen febreeze.

did you just. not play ff15 or something

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...

BUY IT.

The White Dragon posted:

Did they gently caress up the port for DS 3? I tried playing it and it seemed like it was missing additional monsters per encounter or something.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zorodius posted:

Did they gently caress up the port for DS 3? I tried playing it and it seemed like it was missing additional monsters per encounter or something.

It was a tremendous clusterfuck balanced by the guy who designed the original FF11. The DS couldn't support that many models at once, so they reduced the number of enemies per encounter, but balanced this by tripling their stats and giving them a bunch of free actions. The player damage formula remains largely unchanged, so you have these tanky bastards who get to move two or three times whenever you get to attack once, and they also do 2-3x as much damage per hit.

To illustrate: In FF3-NES, there's this Medusa boss pretty early into the game, and she has like 600 HP. In FF3-DS, that same boss is in the same place, and you have the same player strength, but she has something like 7500 HP.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

The White Dragon posted:

It was a tremendous clusterfuck balanced by the guy who designed the original FF11. The DS couldn't support that many models at once, so they reduced the number of enemies per encounter, but balanced this by tripling their stats and giving them a bunch of free actions. The player damage formula remains largely unchanged, so you have these tanky bastards who get to move two or three times whenever you get to attack once, and they also do 2-3x as much damage per hit.

To illustrate: In FF3-NES, there's this Medusa boss pretty early into the game, and she has like 600 HP. In FF3-DS, that same boss is in the same place, and you have the same player strength, but she has something like 7500 HP.

wow, that's interesting. I had no reference point, but it felt hosed up.

impure flutter
May 31, 2014

The White Dragon posted:

did you just. not play ff15 or something

i played the heck out of it but I could only enjoy it with the voices turned off.

I think the introduction of VA into FF caused a big decline in storytelling quality (save for 12 which had great VA). Being able to read them like books added a level of respect to your intelligence that post PSX era FFs just did not have imo

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

macaco time posted:

i played the heck out of it but I could only enjoy it with the voices turned off.

I think the introduction of VA into FF caused a big decline in storytelling quality (save for 12 which had great VA). Being able to read them like books added a level of respect to your intelligence that post PSX era FFs just did not have imo

voice acting is the bane of RPGs in general. its basically impossible to make an interesting branching dialogue system when you have to pay for every line

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Rutibex posted:

voice acting is the bane of RPGs in general. its basically impossible to make an interesting branching dialogue system when you have to pay for every line

Witcher 3 seemed to pull it off a bit.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Honestly ff15 was the first Japanese game I ever played where I thought the English VA was way better than the native VA. I thought the whole thing was fantastic.

And this is coming from someone who totally agrees with you re: voice acting 99% of the time. That pantomime with the text boxes is almost like a kind of theater. Just let me read it... unless it's FF15 :v:

impure flutter
May 31, 2014

what's in the soup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmnVHIvOQEw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

Witcher 3 seemed to pull it off a bit.

i never play the Witcher games, but they have a well defined protagonist right? that sort of RPG works fine with voice acting, when the story is well defined. i am thinking more like a Baldurs Gate or Fallout type RPG, where the protagonist is a blank slate that you can roleplay in any way you wish. thats much harder to pull off with voice acting, especially if you want the protagonist to talk.