Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

BasicFunk posted:

They stuck a makeup game in before an away series with the White Sox a couple years ago. Maybe there's a spot around a Milwaukee trip?

Dunno why they can't preemptively schedule doubleheaders in this day and age, college teams do it all the time and it's not as if the cameras etc. aren't already there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Which sucks for people who only buy Nintendo consoles ☹️

There's RBI Baseball if you just want some kind of baseball game to play, but I have no idea how it actually is.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Mage_Boy posted:

There's RBI Baseball if you just want some kind of baseball game to play, but I have no idea how it actually is.

Baseball games used to be a whole lot weirder.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/YankeesWFAN/status/984548573500116994

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
My baseball game was always Backyard Baseball 2001, its the reason I became a Mike Piazza fan

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Which sucks for people who only buy Nintendo consoles ☹️

To be fair, "only buying Nintendo consoles" also sucks for people who only buy Nintendo consoles.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

IcePhoenix posted:

To be fair, "only buying Nintendo consoles" also sucks for people who only buy Nintendo consoles.

How does it feel to be sooooooo wrong. Nintendo developed/published games are the best games.

PC / Nintendo superiority :smug:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I love my Switch but there are a lot of re-releases of games that have been out elsewhere for years and the 1st party library from Nintendo well awesome so far isn't super dense.

The Show alone justifies a PS4 for me, but I use it for plenty of other things.

Popete fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 12, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thom P. Tiers posted:

How does it feel to be sooooooo wrong. Nintendo developed/published games are the best games.

PC / Nintendo superiority :smug:

I'm fine with my PS4/Nintendo setup for the reasons Popete has mentioned.

Also BotW is just a lesser version of Horizon don't @ me

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Can confirm I bought a PS4 Pro basically to play The Show RTTS.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Tony La Russa Baseball '95 (I think) was my jam. Didn't have active MLBPA rights so teams were historical all-stars. Rabbit Maranville and Duke Snider and poo poo. Spent a ton of time editing in then-current Braves with their IRL stats and the game would auto-generate skill points based on that.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Also fined were CC Sabathia, Xander Bogaerts, Pedroia, and Marco Hernandez. Why? They were all on the DL and were on the field during the game.

From the wonderful world of baseball rules:

Rule 5.10(k) Comment: Players on the disabled list are permit-
ted to participate in pre-game activity and sit on the bench dur-
ing a game but may not take part in any activity during the
game such as warming up a pitcher, bench-jockeying, etc.
Disabled players are not allowed to enter the playing surface at
any time or for any purpose during the game.

While we're on the subject, what the gently caress is "bench-jockeying" ?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

the popes toes posted:

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
I've always had a soft spot for Grand Slam, king of the unauthorized games

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

the popes toes posted:

Also fined were CC Sabathia, Xander Bogaerts, Pedroia, and Marco Hernandez. Why? They were all on the DL and were on the field during the game.

What if you're a player-manager and on the DL? Are you prohibited from going on the field to change pitchers?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

nmfree posted:

What if you're a player-manager and on the DL? Are you prohibited from going on the field to change pitchers?

The ruling from New York is that once on the DL, the player-manager is confined to the dugout, and additionally prohibited from bench jockeying.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

the popes toes posted:

Apparently heckling according to wiki. If you're not on the DL you can shout whatever you want at opposing players legally, but I guess if you're on the DL you can't get in on that.

Which probably means this rule was put in place because someone was real good at it once upon a time, I wonder who?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/BrinkPG/status/984494730464677890

Get hosed Hurdle.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
They mentioned Hurdles comments on the Cubs broadcast today, Baez apparently was approached by another teammate telling him he shouldn't have done that and in last nights post game Baez admitted it wasn't a good look.

But for Hurdle too say something is stupid. Pirates catcher Cervelli also was saying something to Baez when he first came up to the plate today but it didn't seem to annoy Baez so maybe it was unrelated.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Popete posted:

They mentioned Hurdles comments on the Cubs broadcast today, Baez apparently was approached by another teammate telling him he shouldn't have done that and in last nights post game Baez admitted it wasn't a good look.

But for Hurdle too say something is stupid. Pirates catcher Cervelli also was saying something to Baez when he first came up to the plate today but it didn't seem to annoy Baez so maybe it was unrelated.

Yeah, as bad as that headline makes it sound (which of course it does, he gave the interview to the Athletic) he did compliment Baez, but felt that a pop fly is not the kind of play to do a bat flip on, especially when you are already up by that many runs.

Edit: he came off more angry sounding then I'm making it sound too, but it was after a bad loss.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

He also criticized Contreras. Basically he wants those "kids" to stop showing emotion because baseball apparently should be as boring as possible.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

the popes toes posted:

Clint Frazier got hit with this last year during the Yankees/Tigers fight, too.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Niwrad posted:

He also criticized Contreras. Basically he wants those "kids" to stop showing emotion because baseball apparently should be as boring as possible.

Old what man is angry about young latin players expressing emotion. In other news, the sky is still in fact blue, water wet.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Meanwhile we got 25 posts from Cubs fans about how much of an rear end in a top hat Yadi is for getting mad at a manager calling him a motherfucker.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Mike_V posted:

Meanwhile we got 25 posts from Cubs fans about how much of an rear end in a top hat Yadi is for getting mad at a manager calling him a motherfucker.

Yes this is one way to put what happened

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Spoeank posted:

Yes this is one way to put what happened

The crux of many posts was "why is he overreacting to a manager talking poo poo about him!!"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basically its just weird reading this thread when you're not super invested in the NL Central.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 13, 2018

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Mike_V posted:

No one cared that he did it. Conversation was more about whether he deserved to get suspended for making contact with an ump like every other player does.

It's not like the league hasn't been real light on the Cardinals for breaking rules of late.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Bases Loaded III on NES was fantastic.

It had a point-based system for games. Any little errors, such as a strikeout counted against you. If you won, it'd jump you to a competition level based on how many points you earned. If you earned 100 points - a perfect game - against the top competition, you defeated the game. Except for Ryne Sandberg endorsing the thing, there were no real players, though there was a team you could edit its stats. The game had pitch counts, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv1UtpTaTwc

World Series Baseball for Sega, which was 1995ish was OK. It had a good home run derby option and you could play (and save) a full season. The data corrupted somewhat on my copy and the stats quit being accurate for the season mode.

The RBI Baseball games were too easy on NES. I think I had RBI 3 and won the league title with 1990 Braves. Oddibe McDowell was kicking rear end.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Bases Loaded III on NES was fantastic.

It had a point-based system for games. Any little errors, such as a strikeout counted against you. If you won, it'd jump you to a competition level based on how many points you earned. If you earned 100 points - a perfect game - against the top competition, you defeated the game.

I hated that game, mostly because I was so invested in Bases Loaded 1 and 2, and 3 was such a huge step away from that formula and also the controls were quite a bit different.

Didn’t find a (non Stratomatic) sweet spot again till Ken Griffey Jr on the SNES.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Mike_V posted:

I don't give a poo poo whether he got mad or not, but he made contact with an umpire and that's strictly prohibited.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Julio Cruz posted:

I don't give a poo poo whether he got mad or not, but he made contact with an umpire and that's strictly prohibited.

Bingo.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

How are the Reds still so bad? They've been awful for several years now, surely they'd have gotten somewhat better but there is no end in sight.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Mike_V posted:

How are the Reds still so bad? They've been awful for several years now, surely they'd have gotten somewhat better but there is no end in sight.

Their pitching has been staggeringly bad for years now. I think somebody posted that their rotation put up negative WAR as a whole within the last few seasons?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Mike_V posted:

Skyline chili?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Mike_V posted:

it is because joey votto takes too many walks

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

R.D. Mangles posted:

it is because joey votto takes too many walks
If only he'd stop clogging up the basepaths.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

elentar posted:

I hated that game, mostly because I was so invested in Bases Loaded 1 and 2, and 3 was such a huge step away from that formula and also the controls were quite a bit different.

Didn’t find a (non Stratomatic) sweet spot again till Ken Griffey Jr on the SNES.

KG Jr Presents MLB was the poo poo, I played it til long after the SNES lifespan had come to an end

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

N: Mauer now has 2,000 hits

V: :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bases loaded ii not only owned but for some reason someone gave me a novelization of the game based on a crooked owner betting against the team and i will remember the plot of it until i die

• Locked thread