Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Booger Presley posted:

The part of the story that really got to me happened after a town hall meeting. There had already been numerous rapes of single women at this point and the residents were holding a meeting with police about safety and what efforts were being taken to catch the guy. One citizen stated that if the rapist tried to break in or try anything with his wife, he'd shoot the guy. (Something to this effect.) Guess who the next victims were? Same citizen is tied up while his wife is raped, and the rapist targeted couples from then on.

AKA the Golden State Killer. According to the dudes that finished up Michelle McNamaras (sp?) post humous book (I’ll be Gone in the Dark) this did not actually happen. And Casefiles is great. (As always LPotL can suck a dick).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Second to my last quote, a good thing not to google is "compartment syndrome"

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

xtal posted:

ah yeah, my father in law is now down half a leg because of this. Well, if you want to get technical, it was because the hospital never bothered to ice the broken leg which *led* to compartment syndrome. They also managed to lose him, not knowing whether he was checked in or out or where in the hospital he was.

In short, our area hospital is pretty unnerving. A couple of years ago they discharged a dude, told him he was fine to check out, loaded him in a cab, and by the time they got to his house the dude had quietly died in the backseat.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

xtal posted:

Very true. Burst sausage syndrome is gross.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Regarding the Stubblefield FC case: there is a PBS doc called Prisoners of Silence, available here. It's a solid debunking done in 1993. Last I checked there is still an FC practitioner featured in the film, and a program to teach FC, at Syracuse.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Naturally, because there were so many people insisting that we not look it up, I looked up hydraulic fluid injection accidents. Every single photo in the Google image search results looks like something Tom Savini would design for a George Romero movie.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Solice Kirsk posted:

They said in the video that his "refusal" didn't really change anything and that no one else would marry him. Sounded more like he just gave up because he was hosed and was going to die alone if he didn't just accept it. Does that happen to women in India?

An unbelievable amount of bad poo poo happens to women and girls in India, including bride kidnapping, yeah. hosed up poo poo is hosed up. Also, the child bride rate in Bihar state is out of control, so the brides are probably just as unwilling as the kidnapped grooms. hosed up people in a hosed up system loving up young men's and children's/young women's lives.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

I realize she was *just* identified, but whoever rushed to update the "Identification" wiki entry cannot write good. That is just some brain hurting bad.

"King was announced to have been identified on April 11, 2018. The match between her and the unidentified victim was confirmed on April 9. She was originally from Little Rock, Arkansas and had not been reported missing by her family."

How hard is it to write: The Buckskin girl was positively identified April 11, 2018 as Marcia King. She was originally from Little Rock, Arkansas and had not been reported missing by her family.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

porktree posted:

AKA the Golden State Killer. According to the dudes that finished up Michelle McNamaras (sp?) post humous book (I’ll be Gone in the Dark) this did not actually happen. And Casefiles is great. (As always LPotL can suck a dick).

LPotL is cool and good.

hth

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Wow, I read through that one a number of times while reading Wikipedia's articles on unidentified bodies (which sounds kind of weird now that I see it typed out). I guess she jumped out at me because her clothes were so distinctive yet nobody came out saying "oh, the deerskin poncho chick, I know her!"

I won't get deep into it because I brought it up 10 pages back or so, but the unidentified bodies case I really want to see solved is the Sumter County Does: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumter_County_Does

Guy and girl found shot, found the same day as they were shot so the authorities have crystal-clear images of the fresh bodies, and presumably good fingerprints and DNA. No ID but they still had all their clothes, including very distinctive jewelry, the guy was wearing a pricey watch, and had a ring with his *goddam initials* engraved on it. Plus really fancy and elaborate dental work further testifying that he came from money. And someone who had briefly met them before they were murdered was pretty sure the guy was names Jock/Jacques (which matches the initials) and was from Canada and his dad was a doctor.

So you have two completely fresh bodies, detailed list of everything they had on, the man's three-letter initials, his home country, and his dad's profession, and the guy was pretty clearly well-off. And yet with all those leads, still nobody has any idea who they are.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I got to wondering if we still have any MIAs from our lengthy wars in Afghanistan, but a CNN page updated this month says this 2012 guy was the last resolved MIA (other than the POW Bergdahl who we got back in 2014 by exchanging some Taliban prisoners).

quote:

Ahmed K. Altaie:

October 23, 2006 - Staff Sgt. Ahmed K. Altaie is kidnapped after leaving the Green Zone in Baghdad.

February 2007 - A video purportedly of Altaie appears on a militant Shiite website. Altaie's uncle says that the man in the video is his nephew.

February 25, 2012 - The Pentagon confirms that it has positively identified the remains of Altaie. The DOD announces that he is the final missing soldier to be recovered from the missions in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Took five years to find the body, but the USMil takes this kind of thing *extremely* seriously, and is still trying to find and repatriate old bodies in Vietnam and Korea, so I imagine this came as a huge relief.

Maupin was found sooner, but was also a pretty long gap between his disappearing and them finding the body. I recall his case pretty clearly because the news had some creepy photos of him in captivity. He was captured at the same time as I was stationed in Ramadi, so it was alarming news at the time.

quote:

Keith Matthew Maupin:

April 9, 2004 - Army Staff Sgt. Keith Matthew Maupin is captured by insurgents after his convoy comes under attack near Baghdad International Airport in Iraq.

April 16, 2004 - Al Jazeera broadcasts a video showing a person who identifies himself as Maupin.

June 28, 2004 - A video purportedly showing Maupin's execution is broadcast by Al Jazeera. The identity of the person in the tape cannot be verified by US officials.

March 30, 2008 - Maupin's family announces that his remains have been found in Iraq, and positively identified by DNA testing.

So our record on getting Iraq/Afghanistan bodies back is looking pretty good. And given that these days they take DNA samples of all military members, it's pretty much a given that we'll be able to identify any remains we get back.

That led me to the question: do we even have an Unknown Soldier from the Vietnam War at the monument in Arlington cemetery? Apparently we did, but they dug him up in 1998 and managed to identify him using DNA, so now there's just an empty crypt, while the ones from WWI/WWII/Korea still have unidentified remains.

quote:

The remains of the Vietnam Unknown were exhumed May 14, 1998. Based on mitochondrial DNA testing, DoD scientists identified the remains as those of Air Force 1st Lt. Michael Joseph Blassie, who was shot down near An Loc, Vietnam, in 1972. It has been decided that the crypt that contained the remains of the Vietnam Unknown will remain vacant.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Wow, holy poo poo that is heartbreaking. What do they do if the missing soldier is adopted and doesn't share any DNA with their known family? How do those guys make it home so their family gets closure? I've never considered that, but it's so grim. There's gotta be people that can't be found just because they don't have a real way to confirm the remains. Do you know if they have a way to get around that? I googled and the results are pretty dark and not hopeful, but maybe you know something I don't.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

fizzymercy posted:

Wow, holy poo poo that is heartbreaking. What do they do if the missing soldier is adopted and doesn't share any DNA with their known family? How do those guys make it home so their family gets closure? I've never considered that, but it's so grim. There's gotta be people that can't be found just because they don't have a real way to confirm the remains. Do you know if they have a way to get around that? I googled and the results are pretty dark and not hopeful, but maybe you know something I don't.

These days, like TTFA upthread said, they take a DNA sample from all active soldiers, so it's unlikely to be a problem in the future.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I won't get deep into it because I brought it up 10 pages back or so, but the unidentified bodies case I really want to see solved is the Sumter County Does: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumter_County_Does

Unidentified people like this unnerve me more than most things in this thread. The idea that people could be so seemingly unique but remain unidentified strikes a nerve.

Seeing John and Jane Does like these makes me wonder just how many people in the U.S. are missing/dead and no one knows. That is, they dropped off the grid at some point, but no one reported them missing and they haven't been matched with an unidentified body.

Reminds me of "Mary Anderson" a Jane Doe who committed suicide after checking into a fancy hotel under that fictitious name. Like the Sumpter County Does, there was evidence that she was wealthy and her method of suicide, cyanide poisoning, suggests she worked in an industry that would give her access to cyanide, but no lead ever panned out. Her suicide note is brief:

quote:

"To whom it may concern: I have decided to end my life and no one is responsible for my death. Mary Anderson.

"P.S. I have no relatives. You can use my body as you choose."

How many people are in the same position as she was, either no living relatives or estranged from them. No friends close enough to report you missing if you stop returning their calls.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-43722714

Rape and murder of a child in India has led to rising tensions between area Muslims and Hindus.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Azathoth posted:

Unidentified people like this unnerve me more than most things in this thread. The idea that people could be so seemingly unique but remain unidentified strikes a nerve.

I think probably a lot of the cases involve people who crossed over into other states or jurisdictions than where the people who would be able to identify them are. So really all it takes is:

1. A person who is estranged enough from their loved ones that they wouldn't be reported missing right away. A lot of people like that maybe call home once every few weeks or once a month so their family wouldn't know anything is wrong until that amount of time has passed.

2. They travelled out of state so that the local news where their family and friends are won't be reporting the finding of a John Doe.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Randaconda posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-43722714

Rape and murder of a child in India has led to rising tensions between area Muslims and Hindus.

You forgot to mention that the police were involved.

Invisble Manuel
Nov 4, 2009

Jedit posted:

You forgot to mention that the police were involved.

Yeah, this is insane. I was just coming to post the story. The one I read is

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...ID=ansmsnnews11

"On Monday, a chaotic scene unfolded outside a courthouse in Jammu and Kashmir, as a mob of Hindu attorneys tried to physically stop police from filing charges against the men accused. The attorneys in a statement argued for a federal investigation, stating that the government had failed to “understand the sentiments of the people.” Police still managed to complete the paperwork and charged the men, who include four policemen and a retired government official."

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I don't know why I'm always surprised at how furious I get in this thread sometimes at these stories, but welp, here we are.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Booger Presley posted:

I've been watching the series Unmasking a Killer, which covers the East Area Rapist/Original Night Stalker. Dude was responsible for 51 rapes and 12 murders that they know of between 1976 and 1986. The real number could be much higher. They have no idea who he is and no viable leads.

The level of planning and brutality is disturbing. Really creepy knowing this guy is still loose.

Thanks for the tip - I had no idea this show was on.

Fortunately, this Sunday starting at 4PM CDT they're re-airing the first four episodes as a lead up to Episode 5. We're supposed to have lovely weather all weekend and I'm already planning on being homebound on Sunday. This makes it suck a bit less.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Russian Maniac Who Crudely Tattooed Word ‘Slave’ on Its Victim’s Foreheads

quote:

*Russian maniac started an underground colony of female slaves who existed purely for sexual pleasure and financial gain.

*The surviving victims had crudely tattooed word ‘slave’ on their foreheads.

Russian maniac Alexander Komin was a modern day slave owner and serial killer. Despite claiming ‘only’ 4 victims, he was dubbed the Maniac of the 20th Century by the media.

While serving his first prison sentence for hooliganism, Komin met an inmate who was convicted for imprisoning homeless people in his basement and forcing them to work for him without pay. After meeting a man who enjoyed the absolute power over others, Komin was determined to have the same experience; only his idea was an underground colony of female slaves, who existed for sexual pleasure and financial gain.

The women who survived had the word ‘slave’ crudely tattooed on their foreheads

He ultimately committed suicide after he was caught and convicted in 1999, but he had an accomplice who got 20 years because cooperated with the police. He’ll be out next year.

https://www.bizarrepedia.com/russian-maniac-alexander-komin/

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!
Ohio Teen Dies In Minivan Between Seats

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/04/12/us/ohio-teen-pinned-minivan-trnd/index.html

This really unnerved me, mostly because it's so mundane and I can see myself having done something similar when I was younger, maybe trying to reach for something in an awkward way in my mom's SUV.

Him knowing he would die was heartbreaking.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Well that's a bit disturbing. I'm curious exactly how he got stuck.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

So uh this took an even darker left turn.

Remember Girl who found her bio dad, started a relationship and had an incest baby? Well about that...:smith:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/report-infant-death-at-n-c-home-of-accused-incest-couple-linked-to-ct-ny-shootings/

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Gee it’s almost like weird transgressive people might be for-real hosed up.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Dog rescue scams, sad all the way down but a great article.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Proteus Jones posted:

I don't know why I'm always surprised at how furious I get in this thread sometimes at these stories, but welp, here we are.

Years ago after I left the army, I applied for the city police department. I passed all the written tests, the physical, and the first round of interviews. It all looked promising until the psychological evaluation, after which they decided not to hire me.

After reading the stories in this thread for a while, I realize they were probably right.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

youknowthatoneguy posted:

Ohio Teen Dies In Minivan Between Seats

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/04/12/us/ohio-teen-pinned-minivan-trnd/index.html

This really unnerved me, mostly because it's so mundane and I can see myself having done something similar when I was younger, maybe trying to reach for something in an awkward way in my mom's SUV.

Him knowing he would die was heartbreaking.

I'm not trying to be ghoulish here but I can't for the life of me figure out how this could happen and need a diagram. I just can't work it out.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Jeremy_X posted:

I'm not trying to be ghoulish here but I can't for the life of me figure out how this could happen and need a diagram. I just can't work it out.

loving same.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Do you have mashed potato on hand?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Getting real tired of the viral marketing for home assistants

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The only way I can figure it is if he was a pretty big kid and really wedged in there. Doesn't say how he died so maybe asphyxiation?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

I figure he was very big and suffocated himself, or very small and the seat smooshed and suffocated him.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well, it was an Odyssey. It could be no man's fault.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Solice Kirsk posted:

The only way I can figure it is if he was a pretty big kid and really wedged in there. Doesn't say how he died so maybe asphyxiation?

quote:

The Hamilton County Coroner's Office performed an autopsy and the "preliminary autopsy findings are asphyxia due to chest compression,"

at a guess i'd say that he was like reaching over the seat or something and got himself wedged in a way that was compressing his chest enough that he couldnt get enough air and slowly suffocated

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
uhhh. leaning between the front seats to get something in the back, slipping when he is on his way back pinning his torso and upper arms between the front seats maybe? the banging could be him trying to kick himself loose? if he was heavy and had some momentum i could see that happening

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'd like you to know I appreciate this.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Solice Kirsk posted:

I just realized the subtlety here. :golfclap:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Solice Kirsk posted:

This deserves recognition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

My guess would be leaning over a seat to try to grab something, but overreaching and falling upside-down between rows of seats. Usually when I've heard stories of people dying of positional asphyxiation it's because they fell head-first into a small space.