Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
Ugh I forgot how annoying the psionic gate mission is. I sure do love wandering around the map for 20 minutes trying to find the last burrowed cryssalid!

Luckily the next mission was super fun. It was a supply raid in a lost infested city- and the hunter showed up. I even got a resistance soldier with the same name as my favourite musician.

I think my templar took out about 30 lost with blamestorm. There was a huge pile of them all in one spot by the end.

After that I did the Hunter's stronghold and absolutely rolled it. He was weak to skirmishers so I had Mox grapple near him and take 4 shots plus whiplash thanks to hair triggers and teamwork. I barely needed anyone else.

I might actually finish a campaign for the first time ever!

Blisster fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Skirmishers are my favourite units precisely because they get to be cool rear end super soldiers, but they don't feel ridiculously OP. It's basically adding a SAS dude to your infantry squad. He ain't going to kill everyone alone but it certainly makes it easier.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Blisster posted:

I even got a resistance soldier with the same name as my favourite musician.

In my very first campaign, in my first mission, I got a soldier named Lisa Simpson

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
It never fails that every time I start a new game, I get a bunch of people in my character pool, and one complete rando wearing Resistance Kevlar Armor, with a blowout haircut and aviators.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I fuckin love when I get a dude with the lovely combover. What an absolute thug.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Colgate posted:

It never fails that every time I start a new game, I get a bunch of people in my character pool, and one complete rando wearing Resistance Kevlar Armor, with a blowout haircut and aviators.

Thats the preorder bonus. You always get a soldier forced to have the blowout/aviators/resistance armor. It can get weird since everything else rolls normally so sometimes you get some fun acessories.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zore posted:

Thats the preorder bonus. You always get a soldier forced to have the blowout/aviators/resistance armor. It can get weird since everything else rolls normally so sometimes you get some fun acessories.

It's always fun when it pulls from my character pool, and one of my friends is the soldier of the old war.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I reall want long war for this new DLC :(

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
RIP Ice-Com. Never properly played classic xcom ufo defence so I started a test game in open xcom just to figure out settings and stuff before my proper game.

So I figured why not do superhuman with my base in the Antarctic! I'd did not go well...

First mission was technically a success, 6/12 deaths but we killed a hood amount of ayyys. Wed have done better if A: I hadn't accidentally thrown my weapon at a sectoid rather than shooting it and B: if I'd left enough time units to actually THROW the grenade I primed :(

Second mission we had laser pistols. Collateral damage EVERYWHERE, I think we accidentally killed as many humans as the aliens did.

Then the UK pulled a Brexit.

Third mission we had laser rifles. Now we're talking! Unfortunately sectopods also turned up, ended with a Mexican standoff between my last soldier (a rookie that was only alive because she panicked and ran away) and 2 floaters. Somehow against all the odds she survived.

However before the skyranger could even return, Ice-Com was shut down, the world's nations determined to fight the battle individually.

Was a hell of a run. Going to try again only on an easier difficulty and with a base somewhere slightly more populated.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
The Hunter has the best dialogue in combat.

*gets hit by first chainshot attack* "I bet you can't do that again!" *immediately hit again because it's chainshot*

*misses shot* "That doesn't happen very often" *misses next 5 attacks*

It's too bad he is the weakest chosen because I love that he doesn't give a gently caress about the Elders and just wants to kill stuff. I would recruit the dude if I could.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

The hunter rules. I just did the blacksite mission where he appeared and he had some good dialogue about how the bosses’ weirdo scheme was all sideways now.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

The warlock’s lever action plasma rifle is the dopest weapon, though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Blisster posted:

The Hunter has the best dialogue in combat.

*gets hit by first chainshot attack* "I bet you can't do that again!" *immediately hit again because it's chainshot*

*misses shot* "That doesn't happen very often" *misses next 5 attacks*

It's too bad he is the weakest chosen because I love that he doesn't give a gently caress about the Elders and just wants to kill stuff. I would recruit the dude if I could.

He said Double or Nothing to me once. I rapid fired him. :v:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the hunter is at his best when you hit him with banish

since each hit doesnt hurt that much he starts cocky but by the 6th hit he's all "okay loving STOP"

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Captain Hair posted:

RIP Ice-Com. Never properly played classic xcom ufo defence so I started a test game in open xcom just to figure out settings and stuff before my proper game.

So I figured why not do superhuman with my base in the Antarctic! I'd did not go well...

First mission was technically a success, 6/12 deaths but we killed a hood amount of ayyys. Wed have done better if A: I hadn't accidentally thrown my weapon at a sectoid rather than shooting it and B: if I'd left enough time units to actually THROW the grenade I primed :(

Second mission we had laser pistols. Collateral damage EVERYWHERE, I think we accidentally killed as many humans as the aliens did.

Then the UK pulled a Brexit.

Third mission we had laser rifles. Now we're talking! Unfortunately sectopods also turned up, ended with a Mexican standoff between my last soldier (a rookie that was only alive because she panicked and ran away) and 2 floaters. Somehow against all the odds she survived.

However before the skyranger could even return, Ice-Com was shut down, the world's nations determined to fight the battle individually.

Was a hell of a run. Going to try again only on an easier difficulty and with a base somewhere slightly more populated.

Does OpenXcom keep the “laser weapons do double damage to sectopods” thing? I wish that was in the new games. Giving a guy a weapon that’s weaker overall to counter one specific threat could be an interesting dynamic.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Old X-COM: 80% casualties is a win.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Night10194 posted:

Old X-COM: 80% casualties is a win.

I still remember the first guy I had that lived long enough to get to Col in my OG XCOM campaign in 2002. RIP Harold Kemper, even you had to bite it at some point.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Angry Diplomat posted:

Somewhat, yeah, but they still eat poo poo and die just fine from an unlucky crit, so they're right at home in XCom :haw:

e: I think it would legit be kind of interesting if there was a "Resistance Mode" option, where you get no basic soldier types (and thus can't make psionic operatives either) and recruits are sparse, but all of your recruits are from one of the three Resistance factions and you have to try and bullshit your way through the game with just them.

You can just do this with console commands. Add the special soldiers to your starting roster. You can add more than 1 of each or whatever.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I still remember the first guy I had that lived long enough to get to Col in my OG XCOM campaign in 2002. RIP Harold Kemper, even you had to bite it at some point.

I remember the first one I had survive a campaign. Patricia Gallagher, the way you took a plasma bolt to the face while unarmored and didn't even take damage was pretty loving cool.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Night10194 posted:

I remember the first one I had survive a campaign. Patricia Gallagher, the way you took a plasma bolt to the face while unarmored and didn't even take damage was pretty loving cool.

Lyudmilla Andianov. X-Com field agent #001. From first contact to the first human footprints on Mars.

I'm not saying she was invincible, but I did see a plasma shot bend around her on a chryssalid terror mission rather than risking hitting her.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Coolguye posted:

the hunter is at his best when you hit him with banish

since each hit doesnt hurt that much he starts cocky but by the 6th hit he's all "okay loving STOP"

The hunter has all the fun quotes.

Anyway on my new fresh campaign I've turned off some of my mods and yeah it is better now that I get upgrades normally now and I know what to do about annoying assholes that dodge a lot. Much better now. At this rate I may be ready for classic mode or whatever once I finish this campaign.

I might give regular long war a try, but I don't know just yet if I am okay with the disgusting enemy health scaling. I am still a firm believer in the method of making enemies dangerous through means other than higher HP, though I admit I'm not a "pro" at XCOM. Maybe once I feel I truly got the hang of things I'll decide my feelings on the balance.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Making the enemies hit harder while still being easy to take out in one turn is not a good way to go for balance - it just ends up being punishing and uninteresting. If you want to tune the difficulty to be meaningfully harder, you've kind of got to make it harder to one-round pods.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

My favorite chosen moment so far is the warlock saying something along the line of "your mechanical toys don't scare me" to my spark before taking a punch to the face and dying.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Jabor posted:

Making the enemies hit harder while still being easy to take out in one turn is not a good way to go for balance - it just ends up being punishing and uninteresting. If you want to tune the difficulty to be meaningfully harder, you've kind of got to make it harder to one-round pods.

That's true too I suppose. I guess it's the way that pods work that really decides how the game has to be balanced.

Perhaps they should play with how pods work in future XCOM games. Like enemies that are independent of pods and come over and join in when they hear gunfire, or pods that wander into the mission area after a few turns instead of starting in the mission area.
They kind of did that with how reinforcements and the lost work in this one.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

It’s horseshit that you can’t target a hacked enemy. I just lost two units because I didn’t want to sit around waiting for turret control to flip back, then of course it did so at the worst possible moment, flanked me and vaped two dudes.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Anonymous Robot posted:

It’s horseshit that you can’t target a hacked enemy. I just lost two units because I didn’t want to sit around waiting for turret control to flip back, then of course it did so at the worst possible moment, flanked me and vaped two dudes.

You can totally target a hacked enemy though?

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

I am also a fan of the assassin shouting "You lack NUANCE" as my entire squad pelts her with grenades.

The pod system is definitely responsible for a lot of weird issues in Xcom. It makes success at the game dependant on managing "pod aggro" which feels really gamey and crappy. I don't know what the solution is though without going back to og x-com expendable soldiers.

Does anyone else find it weird how easy it is to get resistance factions onboard in WotC? Before the expansion came out the trailers and interviews made it sound like it would be a long term goal, and that it would be tough to get them all to join since they hate each other. But you basically need to do two story missions if you have those enabled. And if not it's evem easier- just some covert ops.

It's honestly probably better this way so we can play with the new toys easily, but I wonder if there was a different design for them that got scrapped.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Yeah, as superior as the Hunter's lines were in general, I too can't get enough of the Assassin bitching when you grenade her. She gets so upset that YOUR USING A NOOB WEAPON OMG REAL PLAYERS FIGHT WITH MELEE WEPS U NADE SPAMMING FAG

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

chiasaur11 posted:

Lyudmilla Andianov. X-Com field agent #001. From first contact to the first human footprints on Mars.

I'm not saying she was invincible, but I did see a plasma shot bend around her on a chryssalid terror mission rather than risking hitting her.

I think Pat survived mostly because she carried the big-rear end rocket launcher and so never actually breached a UFO.

It was always really special in X-COM Original when you'd end up with some kind of terrifying, extremely experienced super-agent because it was such an aberration.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Night10194 posted:

I think Pat survived mostly because she carried the big-rear end rocket launcher and so never actually breached a UFO.

It was always really special in X-COM Original when you'd end up with some kind of terrifying, extremely experienced super-agent because it was such an aberration.

One of my friends had a favourite strategy: he would rush psionics as soon as he reasonably could, test soldiers until he found one with really good psionic abilities, and then have his one psionic supersoldier and a handful of kitted-out bodyguards sit in the transport while a legion of grenade-toting rookies ran out to scout aliens for him to mind-control. He played it like a puzzle game and liked to use one alien to scout another, and so on and so forth, so that he knew where to focus his creeping barrage of hurled grenades and incendiary autocannon rounds.

One of his all-time favourite dirty tricks was priming any explosives carried by a mind-controlled alien, who would then breach the door of a UFO and sprint as far inside as it could.

His Psi Overlord's honour guard was always made up of the former sacrificial rookies that somehow survived three or more missions.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Zore posted:

You can totally target a hacked enemy though?

I thought you could? But, I had my guys lined up in front of a turret, on the same elevation plane as it, and they were unable to target it until it flipped control and drilled them in the backs.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

It's actually annoying how hacked/mind controlled units are always first in the targeting list

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Fellatio del Toro posted:

It's actually annoying how hacked/mind controlled units are always first in the targeting list

:agreed:

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Just be careful with hacked units. I had a hacked turret get 'knocked unconscious' by a stun lancer once, at which point it became completely inert and untargetable, but still counted as an enemy for purposes of mission completion. By pure luck I had a couple of spare grenades at the end of the mission and was able to indirectly fire on it, but otherwise I would have had to evac-complete the mission and lose the loot.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

I discovered that retreating after completing the main objective is considered a failure. That's some bullshit.

First actual retreat because a sectopod and 2 heavy mechs wandered in while I was fighting mutons. I decided to snipe the transmitter and run for it, but I guess it didn't matter.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Skeleton King posted:

I discovered that retreating after completing the main objective is considered a failure. That's some bullshit.

First actual retreat because a sectopod and 2 heavy mechs wandered in while I was fighting mutons. I decided to snipe the transmitter and run for it, but I guess it didn't matter.

You stop the dark event but you don't get the bonus from the mission.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Lame

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

What's the name of the steamer who was really good at long war?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

The Skeleton King posted:

What's the name of the steamer who was really good at long war?

your probably thinking of beaglerush, but...

https://twitter.com/beaglerush/status/982491452319023105