Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Thief posted:

the average player shouldn't end up in copper IV unless they very seriously try to. a lot of people i know that throw games to derank have to group up just to get there. that's why so many toxic players are concentrated at that rank even though realistically they would be gold or plat. the rest seem to mostly be people using a gamepad on PC for whatever reason

This is what I would think too, but it just hasn't been my experience. I am consistently playing against copper IVs who honestly just don't belong there (as in, they are better than that). In a game like league of legends, for example, when you play against wood tier or whatever it is EXTREMELY obvious. RB6 just doesn't seem to have that level of potato player to actually fill out the bottom ranks. Additionally the swinginess of ranks is really bad. RB6 appears to be based on streaks, so if you are having a bad night and lose 3-4 rounds in a row, you might be taking an 80 point loss in your later rounds (which is almost a full ranking).

This wouldn't be so bad except for the fact that you have just.. a TON of people in the absolute bottom of copper IV who are gold/plat and just love stomping on lower tiers, so you end up getting stuck if you happen to drop to copper IV, which is easy to do when you are losing 80-130 points per match and only gaining 30-40 on a win.

EDIT: Sorry if it looks like like I'm agreeing/disagreeing at the same time. What I'm saying is that dropping to low ranks isn't hard. With my current map knowledge/strategy I would say I'm bottom tier silver top bronze (so I'm clearly not an awesome player like the golds/plats) but I consistently end up being ranked into silver and then whoops bad streak dropped like a stone into copper IV, then stuck forever with no escape.

Kaedric fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I’ve teamkilled before and I’ll teamkill again

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I, too, am an temporarily embarrassed gold player stuck down in copper leagues, playing only against secret plats who are intentionally losing to stay down there, or winning easily against all the actual copper players who I never face.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Wooper posted:

I, too, am an temporarily embarrassed gold player stuck down in copper leagues, playing only against secret plats who are intentionally losing to stay down there, or winning easily against all the actual copper players who I never face.

The dude literally said he was a high Bronze/low Silver player but don't let that stop you from getting that dunk in.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
What's your point?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Don't rank-shame people. All ranks are beautiful.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Wooper posted:

What's your point?

That you're being a prick toward someone for no real reason? This is a decent thread, please do your part to keep it that way. "Bronze and Copper can be a minefield of getting dunked on by smurfs and the caliber of play isn't much better than Casual" is a pretty uncontroversial statement, no?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

littleorv posted:

Had to commissar two guys on the last round who picked recruit every round and would hide in a corner.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
idk if anyone can even get stuck in copper IV because you have to literally sabotage your team every single round to keep losing since it only takes like one single win to get back to copper III

and even if you die they can just randomly win through pure deathmatch without you

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Managed to get my first clutch 1v4 as Mira, on drug room of Theme Park. Felt good man.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
on console I was copper last season & worked my way up from silver to gold this one, if you're not playing w/ a regular set of players & are decent its a real crapshoot but nbd because the lower your rank...the better you are

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Thief posted:

idk if anyone can even get stuck in copper IV because you have to literally sabotage your team every single round to keep losing since it only takes like one single win to get back to copper III

and even if you die they can just randomly win through pure deathmatch without you

Actually you just keep going further below 1400, so if you get stuck for long enough it can take 20+ wins to get back to copper III when it only awards 20-30 points.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

lol well that's nuts the game is setup that way but you're not realistically going to be facing 5man diamond smurfs every game

has anyone here actually experienced or even heard of a 20 loss streak through normal play without having started their fall from the tier(s) above? fwiw most players i know usually only do casual but run the 10 matches or whatever to get the charm are usually in silver

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Thief posted:

lol well that's nuts the game is setup that way but you're not realistically going to be facing 5man diamond smurfs every game

has anyone here actually experienced or even heard of a 20 loss streak through normal play without having started their fall from the tier(s) above? fwiw most players i know usually only do casual but run the 10 matches or whatever to get the charm are usually in silver

No, you're right, I'm not saying a 20 loss streak, but rather if you happen to be low ranked, you need a 20 WIN streak to get out. Me and MY CREW started playing ranked immediately (we do this in all games) and were obviously solidly in copper when we first started because we had no clue what we were doing. Obviously we improved over time but getting OUT of copper was incredibly hard due to how you earn ranked points (needing streaks so the number increases, otherwise you only earn 20-30).

This new season we played together and got ranked into silver for a bit, and IMO the quality of the games was FAR superior to what you get at copper IV, and much more fair. It is pretty blatant the number of trolls and smurfs in the murky depths of copper. Like, i don't care what rank I am, I just want most games to be choked defeat or narrow victory, because that's fun. It is not fun playing against a team where one dude gets 15 kills and has the reflexes of a mongoose. Obviously not every copper IV game is like that but it is only NOTICEABLE in copper IV, not in any of the other ranks that I've been in.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I just marvel at the people who can get smashed so reliably that they stay in Copper, and still enjoy the game enough to keep playing.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Wooper posted:

You're trying to be smarmy but I literally was that during White Noise. Back in Gold where I belong now.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I've had combinations of bad days and completely worthless teammates send me into the copper mines before. Usually it's a case of "I can get 2-4 kills per round and clearly outplay the enemy team, but there's one gold player on opfor in the exact same situation I am who keeps getting aces when my idiot teammates can't win a 4v1 against him". Usually it's fixed by just taking a break of a day or two and trying again, but I got stuck there for weeks during operation health lol.

EDIT: like actual matches where 6 players in the game go donuts and two guys are having a 16 kill/19kill streaks desperately trying to drag themselves up by their own bootstraps

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yeah been there. It's basically a 1v1 with 8 bystanders.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You're trying to be smarmy but I literally was that during White Noise. Back in Gold where I belong now.

How were you trapped in copper mines when you finished gold?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I didn't say I was trapped there, I was a temporarily embarrassed gold just like you said. It was a torturous struggle to claw my way out from placing Bronze 3 after equally unenjoyable placement matches, and put me off the game for months. I definitely faced like a half dozen smurfs when I was in Copper/Bronze. Including a whole team that deliberately surrendered to avoid beating us.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Here's a Pro Tip for you guys to avoid unfun games: Turn off everything but Hostage. All the sweatiest tryhards have it disabled, and the game will no longer "draw straws" to decide mode/map so you will only be placed into Hostage games, which means you will never play with anyone who has it disabled. The very instant I turned on the other modes I was matched into a Bomb game with a Diamond player, in Casual. Plus you get to play Hostage.

The only downside is that late at night you will not be able to find any matches. Otherwise you're golden and your games will be much more fun.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

I very rarely get to play bomb against people who aren't the sweatiest of tryhards, which is a shame since it's the best game mode.

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Here's a Pro Tip for you guys to avoid unfun games: Turn off everything but Hostage. All the sweatiest tryhards have it disabled, and the game will no longer "draw straws" to decide mode/map so you will only be placed into Hostage games, which means you will never play with anyone who has it disabled. The very instant I turned on the other modes I was matched into a Bomb game with a Diamond player, in Casual. Plus you get to play Hostage.

:potg: This is a great idea, need to try that at some point

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It's a completely different game. I can't fathom how people even play it with Bomb enabled. It turns into a job.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

bomb is good but can be very annoying to defend if your team isn't paying attention or simply doesn't care

i like hostage mode the most. the first time i ever even saw a hostage in a videogame was the very first level of the original Rainbow Six game. they also had you defuse bombs shortly after.

the only mode i ever disable is container because i feel like it just promotes blindly spamming the obj. it's basically very similar to hostage mode which also lets you spam the obj but you have to be mindful of not actually killing it which totally changes the dynamic for the better.

also having to get into center of the room and interact with the obj is way more interesting than just vaulting over the magic line and "contesting" when it's not really all that different to shoot inside the room from the window after flying halfway across the world for this operation.

also @ranked ranks: the level of play is very seriously affected by the time you are active. i am a huge nerd that plays at varying hours, and generally if you're on between midnight and 5am you can pretty much expect good players that punch well above their weight.

then if you wait a couple of hours and play again it is all literal children trying to get a game in before they have to go to school that simply cannot compete with the decades of muscle memory i've developed left clicking pixels and prefiring bottlenecks.

generally during the weekdays is the chillest time to play.

e: if you wanna experience hardmode just go into the game during friday/saturday night at like 1am before all the drunk people stumble home from last call

Thief fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Apr 13, 2018

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I think I'm mentally ill because I really enjoy bomb, the multiple things to do makes it fun.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I don't give a poo poo about bomb as a gamemode but the sweat is inescapable when you play it so it's just not fun.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I don't give a poo poo about bomb as a gamemode but the sweat is inescapable when you play it so it's just not fun.
Yeah that's true, there's some sweaty Jagers in that mode who always get gakked trying to spawn peek. I got used to playing 4v5 at that point. :v:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

bomb is where all the funniest clutches happen

it's also just generally funny that after all this time the most tactical way to defuse the defuser is to smash it like a caveman

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

littleorv posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ESAebLS2k8

Orikaeshigitae
Apr 28, 2006

never kiss a gun street girl again

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I honestly don't understand this perspective. When you're matched against players who challenge you and you learn from the experience, you get better. Even when I'm trying to relax these experiences are valuable to me.

But then I've learned a lot of people see the ELO as reflecting on themselves personally, so people surprise me frequently.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

if you're bored enough, a funny way to respond to people that simply say the rank of a person when genuinely trying to make them feel bad in a cartoon videogame is to just type their uPlay name into one of the stat tracking sites during downtime with your steam overlay and ask them why they main Ash/Ela or whatever it says.

it doesn't even matter what the operators are. a lot of the time they don't even have all the operators unlocked. for whatever reason it just almost always gets them to break character and try to explain themselves while everyone else couldn't care less as they actually play the game for fun.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Orikaeshigitae posted:

I honestly don't understand this perspective. When you're matched against players who challenge you and you learn from the experience, you get better. Even when I'm trying to relax these experiences are valuable to me.

But then I've learned a lot of people see the ELO as reflecting on themselves personally, so people surprise me frequently.

Nah I'm looking to play for fun, not to sweaty tryhard my best. I'm not interested in getting "challenged" or "better." If I were I'd play Ranked. Getting snap headshot 3 rounds in a row isn't my idea of fun, though you may consider the 9 minutes of downtime "relaxing." I played a round against an Ash that literally held one angle for 3 minutes until I walked into it and got headshot before I could even see where he was. It's poo poo. It's impossible to have fun against people like that. I'd rather play interesting ops and gently caress around than repeatedly go up against people who play Siege like a full-time job, but you do you, man.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

the irony is that these players are statistically more likely to be encountered through casual casual play than casual ranked play.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yeah, unless you only turn on Hostage and enter Extra Casual mode, since they all refuse to play it since That's The Meta.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I'm console, and have built up a decent list of RB6 players but they've all been doing other things. Which is fine, but I don't solo queue much and whenever I do I immediately regret it (TKing is absolutely rampant in Casual on the consoles).

The TKing really is quite bad. I was struggling last night but got into a match as Blackbeard where all of my try-hard team-mates rushed into the site without droning etc. The usual. In this case they all died and it turned into a 1v5. The other team smelled blood I guess and were running around like dorks so I picked my way through them -- 1v5... 1v4.... 1v3... 1v2... finally 1v1. The Valkyrie came around the corner and I fired at her, ran out of bullets (completely) halfway through and she killed me. The people who had been dead the entire match waited about 3 seconds to kick me from the match for blowing the clutch. Thanks guys. It was so dumb I laughed out loud. Why do people do this poo poo?

Orikaeshigitae
Apr 28, 2006

Thief posted:

the irony is that these players are statistically more likely to be encountered through casual casual play than casual ranked play.

yeah. most plats seem to spend all their time in casual for fear of losing their status.

Orikaeshigitae
Apr 28, 2006

I also don't like non-bomb modes because it becomes harder to predict what enemies will do. makes it into more TDM than strategy, which is mostly why I play siege.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Nah I'm looking to play for fun, not to sweaty tryhard my best. I'm not interested in getting "challenged" or "better." If I were I'd play Ranked. Getting snap headshot 3 rounds in a row isn't my idea of fun, though you may consider the 9 minutes of downtime "relaxing." I played a round against an Ash that literally held one angle for 3 minutes until I walked into it and got headshot before I could even see where he was. It's poo poo. It's impossible to have fun against people like that. I'd rather play interesting ops and gently caress around than repeatedly go up against people who play Siege like a full-time job, but you do you, man.

I just want to get to Gold. That's the top half of the player base and, although there's quite a difference in skill across the rank, in my limited experience you get people who drone regularly, call out, know the maps decently, have some kind of idea of tactics, etc. But I'm a long way from there and it's going to be particularly challenging with my bad aim and older reflexes. Like yourself I have no interest in becoming a super-god flickshot head-popper and don't consider 4 hours training for headshots in TH a worthwhile use of my time.

he1ixx posted:

The people who had been dead the entire match waited about 3 seconds to kick me from the match for blowing the clutch. Thanks guys. It was so dumb I laughed out loud. Why do people do this poo poo?

A lot of people in Casual have "the MOBA mindset" and I hope they get rid of kicking after they fix the team-killing problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I've literally never been kicked before by randoms. Where the heck are you guys playing?

Always remember to kill the AFK recruit who spawns with defuser