Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

hooah posted:

One last question about circumcision: how much of a pain is it to clean the kid's dick until he can for himself? Note that this is for mental preparation, not to help decide one way or the other.

It's not, because you aren't supposed to clean "underneath" until they are about 5 years old at which point they should be able to do it themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

hooah posted:

One last question about circumcision: how much of a pain is it to clean the kid's dick until he can for himself? Note that this is for mental preparation, not to help decide one way or the other.

You pull it back when taking a bath. Much easier than cleaning a girl vagina.

My 2.5 years old does it himself. While saying peekaboo!

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Not first hand since mine is even younger, but I read an article about letting your kid watch you have a difficult time doing tasks, and trying different techniques to do something can have an effect on child perseverance.

I actually used to do this more before he was verbal and it’s a good reminder to go back to that. It’s tempting to think I can just use words to explain everything now that he talks, but showing is definitely more effective than telling.

KingColliwog posted:

When my 2 and a half son acts like that, I ask him to explain why he is pissed (often put the word in his mouth, like “you are angry because it’s difficult to put the piece in? Let’s try again together. With practice you’ll get better!”). I also put a lot of emphasis on the practice thing. Wow! You’re able to do this? Remember when you were younger you were unable to do it, but you practised a lot and got better!” And similar are sais really often.

I love this, will definitely try it.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
43 new responses to the parenting thread? Wonder what happened... Oh another circle jerk.

For Christmas, which I realize your family doesn't celebrate and this is some kind of microaggression, I'm going to get this thread a dead horse so you have something to beat.

Kiddo is now 2.5 and is bringing phrases home from school and whatnot. It's mind blowing to hear novel phrases from him.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Poor Freckles, thought of circumcised spanked kids crying out out and died.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
oh no someone had a semi controversial question and people answered it pretty respectfully for the most part. better jump in and post about circle jerking dead horses that'll show 'em all

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Levitate posted:

oh no someone had a semi controversial question and people answered it pretty respectfully for the most part. better jump in and post about circle jerking dead horses that'll show 'em all

Yeah,that was my thought too. There wasn't much "circle jerking" at all.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

KingColliwog posted:

You pull it back when taking a bath. Much easier than cleaning a girl vagina.

My 2.5 years old does it himself. While saying peekaboo!

You shouldn’t try to retract the foreskin. It can cause serious damage. The kid will do it himself when he’s old enough and interested enough (usually puberty when the hormones loosen everything up).

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
First time I ever heard that. Where is that information coming from?

Our paediatrician always told us to gently pull back from birth while in the bath, but never through any resistance. She also checks how far back it now moves every time we see her.

This is also the advice given in the main “state approved/sponsored” parent resource here. The specific article on taking care of your babies penis was approved by a pediatric urologist. You can read the article here if you read French https://naitreetgrandir.com/fr/etape/0_12_mois/soins/fiche.aspx?doc=soins-prepuce

Forcing the foreskin back is bad. Getting it to move where it naturally goes is fine.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Yeah wtf that's some not good information. I wish I was going to the next AAP conference so ask some French doctors about why they are suggesting this.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I have two sons, one we chose to leave uncircumcised and the other came to use as a foster child uncut. My older son started really itching his penis when he was 3 or 4, and eventually we realized it was a real problem. We brought it up with our pediatrician who said it was likely he needed some manual foreskin stretching. When he bathes, he (we) retracts his foreskin and over time it should help his skin grow with his penis. All of this was bonkers to us, as my husband is circumcised and I've never had to help someone care for their penis. But, it helped and we try to make sure he does it regularly when he bathes. It's an odd thing, to worry about someone else's genitals. I may never get used to it.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Yeah wtf that's some not good information. I wish I was going to the next AAP conference so ask some French doctors about why they are suggesting this.

Seems to be a canadian thing https://myhealth.alberta.ca/Health/aftercareinformation/pages/conditions.aspx?hwid=abo1357.
code:
A baby's foreskin does not pull back easily for about 6 months. Don't force it. Until you can pull the foreskin back, use warm water to wash the outside of the penis only. Pulling your son's foreskin back too early can damage it and cause scar tissue to form.

When you're able to pull the foreskin back, do so gently. Only pull it as far as it will go. Carefully wash the whole area with warm water. After washing, return the foreskin to its normal position.
Which is basically the same advice given on the French Canadian site above. If it doesn’t move, it doesn’t move. Once it does, move it where it naturally goes. Over time it will go back all the way. This might take more than a year

US websites seems to say don’t touch it until the kid is super old. May be they are more cautious in the us because most people are cut and might be too hard and force it since they are not used to it?

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 13, 2018

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004

Levitate posted:

I feel like the infection risks thing is misleading, or at least I remember it being based on lowering infection risks in populations based in poor/rural Africa rather than it being some special "it lowers them for everyone everywhere in every situation!"

Rather than feel you could do some research

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C38&q=circumcision+infection&oq=circumcision+in

Studies show circumsision lowers the risk of UTIs as well as aids.

Also no gross smegma

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004

Slimy Hog posted:

This sounds like something your racist friend says and not like a real thing.

EDIT: It also sounds like you're saying "Those Hispanics don't circumcise, and that's skewing the numbers for us REAL Americans."

At any rate, "everyone else is doing it" shouldn't be a deciding factor to (or not to) circumcise your son.

Not a racist friend

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/circumcision-rates-declining-health-risks-rising-study-says/

Who wants to be the funny kid with the weird looking dick? Having the same looking dick as everyone else ad well as a decrease in disease over ones lifetime are advantages to getting circumcision.

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

The circumcision rates are pretty low for the US where I live (Southern California). The “do not retract” advice is for when the foreskin is totally fused (babies and toddlers, some young boys), not all the way to adulthood or whatever. This is because many American parents and many pediatricians don’t know any better.

For the non-Americans here it must seem crazy, but it’s kind of like how women have to be taught to breastfeed again because of the prevalence of formula feeding in the last century. Many American parents are making the decision to leave their sons’ penises intact with no experience caring for it. My local mom groups are full of complaints about pediatricians who try to retract babies’ foreskins during regular check-ups.

ETA: I don’t think it’s racist to say that Hispanic/Latinx circumcise at lower rates...?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
If you choose to circumcise your kid or not that's fine but as an uncircumcised dude it's loving hilarious how the major argument for it appears to be "their dick will look weird and also ew smegma."

Sti thing is interesting but also I used condoms w no problem.

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?

Benagain posted:

Interesting but also potentially not beneficial to tell people since there are so many caveats to the WHO recommendation. A cut dick is not a substitute for actual safe sex practices.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Benagain posted:

If you choose to circumcise your kid or not that's fine but as an uncircumcised dude it's loving hilarious how the major argument for it appears to be "their dick will look weird and also ew smegma."

On the flip side as a circumcised dude it irks me when people say stuff like "why would you mutilate your son by doing that procedure" because it implies everyone that is circumcised is 'mutilated'.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Read a dictionary my dude

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I knew a dude who got circumcised after zipping his penis. He's fine and slightly prefers it. I'm uncircumcised and can't imagine being circumcised and have had no problems. Whatever you do to your kid will be fine unless you go out of your way to give them a complex.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

sebzilla posted:

Read a dictionary my dude

Your definition of mutilated is so funny. Do you consider ear piercing mutilation? A hair cut? Hopefully your kid never needs their wisdom teeth yanked, otherwise they'll be forever and permanently marred!

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

WarpDogs posted:

Your definition of mutilated is so funny. Do you consider ear piercing mutilation? A hair cut? Hopefully your kid never needs their wisdom teeth yanked, otherwise they'll be forever and permanently marred!

i mean, i think using words like 'mutilation' to describe circumcision don't really aid in any meaningful discussion, but trying to compare it to ear piercing and haircuts(!) is pretty silly dude. If you stop wearing earrings the hole closes up. Your hair grows back. You can't grow a new foreskin

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

KingColliwog posted:

Seems to be a canadian thing https://myhealth.alberta.ca/Health/aftercareinformation/pages/conditions.aspx?hwid=abo1357.
code:
A baby's foreskin does not pull back easily for about 6 months. Don't force it. Until you can pull the foreskin back, use warm water to wash the outside of the penis only. Pulling your son's foreskin back too early can damage it and cause scar tissue to form.

When you're able to pull the foreskin back, do so gently. Only pull it as far as it will go. Carefully wash the whole area with warm water. After washing, return the foreskin to its normal position.
Which is basically the same advice given on the French Canadian site above. If it doesn’t move, it doesn’t move. Once it does, move it where it naturally goes. Over time it will go back all the way. This might take more than a year

US websites seems to say don’t touch it until the kid is super old. May be they are more cautious in the us because most people are cut and might be too hard and force it since they are not used to it?

Absolutely not a Canadian thing. Our midwives and doctors all told us to treat it like a finger in terms of how to wash it and NEVER retract. I even wrote on his daycare forms to not retract incase they weren’t familiar.

Anyway, we chose not to. When we found out it was not covered by OHIP and deemed as cosmetic, it opened the conversation surrounding bodily autonomy for us. Plus it was $500 so no thanks. We laughed at the idea of him being like daddy, why are our doodles different :qq:

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

WarpDogs posted:

Truthfully I do think it’s hosed up to pierce a baby’s ears ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ again, bodily autonomy is important to teach from the start. Not only that, but a holds ear lobes will change as they grow and it can lead to the piercing sites to be uneven and such.

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

Sperg check on what to do about 24 month sleep regression?

Kid just turned two this week and for about little over a week he's had major separation anxiety when going to sleep/sleeping.
He was a great sleeper and nothing changed in the routine. Sleeping on a bed on the floor for past 4 months, we had a strict bedtime routine, nightlight, white noise machine, and lullaby timer.

Sperging because googling it largely just leads to "don't co sleep to soothe them," "just put them back in bed and say they're safe," and "keep the door open so they can come to you."
At the beginning we laid on the floor rubbing his back until he fell asleep but that quickly went from 1-2 mins to 15 mins so we said F that. We have a rocking chair so we started sitting in that waiting for him to fall asleep in his bed (he's not cuddling with us)but it could be 15-30 mins of sitting there in the dark wondering if he's asleep. If you get up and walk out while he's still awake by some chance, he'll have a meltdown. In the middle of the night he wakes up between 3-7 times screaming where we have to go put him back in bed. Again, sitting in the rocking chair to avoid him crying the entire night.

It has gotten worse by doing what we were doing instead of better so tonight I just did our routine, left the door open, and decided he needs to figure it out (while I post here to figure out better suggestions). In the last 30 minutes, he's gotten out of bed 17 times to scream in the middle of his room until I walk back in where he jumps into bed and pipes down. The moment I leave the room, he jumps out of bed again to start the screaming again.
Is this a cry it out situation or should we really be literally sleeping in the rocking chair during the night to ensure "hes safe" and will stay asleep.

Duxwig fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 15, 2018

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I've posted about this before, but we kept a toddler cot in our room. If he wanted to come sleep in our room he could sleep on the cot. I just can't function on no sleep. In fact I discovered I am susceptible to hemiplegic migraines and one of the triggers is very little sleep and then too much sleep and also being stressed out. I am too light of a sleeper to let a toddler sleep in a bed with me. The cot was great. He's older now and sleeps in his bed fine. Sometimes he has issues with being scared about having a bad dream and I remind him he can come sleep in our room if he needs to and the thought of that is enough to calm him down now.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Threaten to put him back in the crib.

I intend to keep my 26 month old in the crib as long as possible. He has a sleep regression every other month and we’ve learned that the best course of action is to ignore him. Since he is confined to his crib this is a lot easier to accomplish. He usually screams for less than 5 minutes now and goes back to sleep, whereas if we went in to soothe him it would be a 2-hour ordeal to get him back to sleep.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Can you take him to pick out a new comfort item and create a bed time routine to help him feel safer and happier in bed? Maybe you could get two of the same, one for your bed and one for theirs, then it’s like he’s “in bed” with you or something.

It’d be pretty hosed up to threaten him with the crib. Nothing says positive sleep associations like threats!

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Duxwig posted:

Sperg check on what to do about 24 month sleep regression?
We treated it with the 5-10-20 minute routine of tucking him back into bed and waiting for that interval before checking again.

I can only think of one time it didn't work and we just reset the intervals.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

skeetied posted:

You shouldn’t try to retract the foreskin. It can cause serious damage. The kid will do it himself when he’s old enough and interested enough (usually puberty when the hormones loosen everything up).

Yes, except as a parent of three boys [1] (and one girl [2]), I have to laugh at the idea that they're going to wait with that until puberty. They discover that having a penis is fun and awesome no later than age 2, believe you me.

[1] All uncut, since we're Norwegian and nobody does that thing here except for certain religious minorities, which we're not, or the occasional medical necessity case, which we're also not.

[2] Who is 13 days old today! And looks like she's about ready to gently caress some fools up.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Groke posted:

Yes, except as a parent of three boys [1] (and one girl [2]), I have to laugh at the idea that they're going to wait with that until puberty. They discover that having a penis is fun and awesome no later than age 2, believe you me.

I have two boys and, while my six year old occasionally uses it as a handle, no futzing yet. 🤷‍♀️ One is uncircumcised and the other has hypospadias so his foreskin is incomplete.

#3 is a girl and that’s quite the learning curve... hope you’re enjoying it too!

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Does anyone have any recommendations for musical toys for a 13-month-old? My daughter really enjoys the toys that play music and 'dancing' along to the toys we have, but the songs only last about ten seconds and then she gets frustrated, and they are super tinny and horrible sounding like old PC speakers (they're old Fisher Price toys we inherited from friends). Are there any musical toys that play longer tunes, and that have a nicer sound to them? I'm not expecting anything amazing, just something a bit more musical that she can groove to for a bit longer.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Plastic noise-makey toys are almost uniformly horrible. If you want a kid to make music, get an instrument (glockenspiels are usually a good start, consult this page for further discussion.

If you want music for the kid to listen/dance/sing/groove to, put on a CD. Either grown-up music that you like (probably without obvious swears) or "music for kids" that you won't go insane hearing multiple times a day. I like Poco Drom a lot but my kid also got deeply into my friend's band The Thyme Machine so who knows what they'll go for.

My daughter is three and has never owned a toy with batteries, lights or electronic sounds. Feels good man.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Our 18 month son loves music as well and has since birth it feels like. We started with little music box toys, but they do get boring mega quick.

Now we rotate between a few mediums. Our son loves to get a few minutes a day of nursery songs from the YouTube channel dave&ava. Then for most of the day we play all sorts of music on our amazon echo. From kids tunes to instrumental to adult music, he loves it all.

Lastly we try to get a solid play session with either his keyboard, a xylophone, or pots and pan drums once a day.

Music is such an awesome way to share life with a tot.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

sebzilla posted:

Plastic noise-makey toys are almost uniformly horrible. If you want a kid to make music, get an instrument (glockenspiels are usually a good start, consult this page for further discussion.

If you want music for the kid to listen/dance/sing/groove to, put on a CD. Either grown-up music that you like (probably without obvious swears) or "music for kids" that you won't go insane hearing multiple times a day. I like Poco Drom a lot but my kid also got deeply into my friend's band The Thyme Machine so who knows what they'll go for.

My daughter is three and has never owned a toy with batteries, lights or electronic sounds. Feels good man.

Yeah we want something that plays tunes as she is more into dancing than playing instruments at this stage (although we'll do that when she is). The problem with CDs/youtube etc. is that at this age, she can't do it for herself - and when we turn it on for her, she sees much less interested in dancing (and fair enough as far as I can see - she wants to do things that she chooses). So we want something where she gets to decide when the music plays, rather than us. I figured maybe these days there might be something that you could load kids songs onto via USB and that they could hit a button to play it or something like that.

We had originally intended to avoid the batteries/electronic toys as well, until we discovered how much she liked dancing when she can control the music herself!

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
Not sure if this is the kind of thing you're looking for, but I used one of these to record a song, and I put it inside a stuffed animal. I wanted a musical animal with a specific song so this was the easiest way I found. It can be re-recorded, and holds up to 200sec.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Alexa /Echo playing lullabies has some cool lullaby covers of classic rock songs which are pleasant to hear.

kbdragon
Jun 23, 2012

Kerro posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for musical toys for a 13-month-old?

This toy actually plays longer quips of 6 classical songs and doesn’t sound terrible to my musical inclined ear. Baby Einstein Take Along Tunes Musical Toy

When my daughter was about 3 we gave her an old phone with some tunes on it and she loves her “music player”.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

kbdragon posted:

This toy actually plays longer quips of 6 classical songs and doesn’t sound terrible to my musical inclined ear. Baby Einstein Take Along Tunes Musical Toy

When my daughter was about 3 we gave her an old phone with some tunes on it and she loves her “music player”.

We have that two! It’s great for shopping cart boredom, or rides that get a bit long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Sweet thanks for all the suggestions. I'm half tempted to get a bunch of those sound recorder things and make my own player that way, but that gets quite pricey. I think what I really want is like an MP3 player that just has two buttons, play and skip. I see that a few companies used to make MP3 players for kids but it seems like they're not available any more, so I'll have to go with what's available.