Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

The Milkman posted:

Is there any (simple) way to globally rebind things to the Mac way? Like, Super+C for copy, keeping Ctrl-C for the unixy stuff, etc? I was using Fedora for a little stretch and I had forgotten how awkward all that was (and how much Mac usage has warped my muscle memory)

What desktop environment are you talking about? In KDE there definitely is. You can change any and every shortcut and define new ones that can either be a command, a D-BUS call or just a simply send-key to window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Volguus posted:

What desktop environment are you talking about? In KDE there definitely is. You can change any and every shortcut and define new ones that can either be a command, a D-BUS call or just a simply send-key to window.

Yeah, KDE

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

In system settings, you have the Shortcuts section where you can create, update and delete shortcuts to your heart's content.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Don't see anything obvious here, either.

I suspect we're not gonna find an answer on SA unless you want to give someone SSH access to the system, which I doubt

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

MJP posted:

code:
## When I removed the commented part below, any portion of the site gave an error that the site refused to connect.
##<Directory>
##      Options FollowSymLinks
##      AllowOverride all
##      Order allow,deny
##      Allow from all
##</Directory>

# vim: syntax=apache ts=4 sw=4 sts=4 sr noet

“Directory” needs a path following it. Without AllowOverride set on those directories Apache won’t look for a .htaccess file, which is mapping your requests to a dispatcher, usually index.php.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I have a super dump question, I'm almost embarrassed to ask this, but I just can't figure it out. So I'm taking the RHCSA again (renewing it after three years) and I'm studying up. Part of what I like to study is to learn the man pages for all the commands I know I have to do, so I can remember where the different notes are for the tasks.

One of them is messing with autofs. Now, when I do:

man autofs

I get this page:

AUTOFS(8) System Manager's Manual

However, I want

AUTOFS(5) File Formats Manual

I can get this by:

man /usr/share/man/man5/autofs.5.gz

But I'm wondering if there's a way to specific the different document in the command.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Look up the -s option, the numbers are "sections" and -s lets you specify which section to search for the man page.

Each section is a fairly specific category, like second 2 is system calls and section 3 is library functions.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

xzzy posted:

Look up the -s option, the numbers are "sections" and -s lets you specify which section to search for the man page.

Each section is a fairly specific category, like second 2 is system calls and section 3 is library functions.

Thanks!

I see I can also do man -a and it gives me all the sections.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

xzzy posted:

-s is for changing the section search order, but if you already know what section the page is in (as in this case) just doing man 5 autofs is sufficient.

Also, man man.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It'd be at least 20 years since I looked at the man page for man. :v:

I started using -s as a rookie and it worked so I never questioned what it was actually doing.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Make sure you can dream autofs. I almost failed my rhcsa because I didn’t know it well enough.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

LochNessMonster posted:

Make sure you can dream autofs. I almost failed my rhcsa because I didn’t know it well enough.

Yeah, I took it three years ago (passed) and autofs was the one thing I think I didn't do right. I have to renew, unfortunately, I studied like crazy in December for a test in Jan, but they suddenly cancelled the test a week before, I guess lack of attendance. I have it now early may, so I have to get back into it.

I'm not sure how much I can discuss the test, since they make you sign an NDA, however my company now has a Linux Academy sub, and it's really spot on with the test.

EDIT: also for the past two years my company has been using RHEL7, which wasn't the case before so I have a lot more experience with it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've never done the rhcsa, what's their deal with autofs?

We use it at our place in limited cases, users hate it because their files aren't INSTANTLY AVAILABLE and we dislike it because managing the maps is zero fun. See way fewer problems adding entries to fstab with puppet, so I can't imagine a reason why redhat would test it so heavily.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see it dropped with the certs for RHEL8.

But the primary use (and what's tested) is transparent homedirs for LDAP users

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

xzzy posted:

I've never done the rhcsa, what's their deal with autofs?

We use it at our place in limited cases, users hate it because their files aren't INSTANTLY AVAILABLE and we dislike it because managing the maps is zero fun. See way fewer problems adding entries to fstab with puppet, so I can't imagine a reason why redhat would test it so heavily.

I dunno, I use RHEL7 for everything, but I've never once messed with Autofs besides the test. However, I have a system that users don't log into, so there's no ready for the homedirs to move around. I think there's also a case for it to be able to mount/umount directories with out root permissions, but I don't know too much about it.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I took the RHCSA a couple months back and barely passed since I thought autofs and LDAP were in the RHCE portion of the book and didn't bother studying them at all. Very glad I was able to remember almost all the rest accurately.

We use autofs at my job (networking vendor) pretty extensively, it seems like the main filesharing mechanism used by our development teams and a lot of the consulting engineers use it too as they get into more complex projects with teams spread across multiple sites. I'll confess that I haven't messed with any alternatives more advanced than "set up an NFS share/FTP server and tell everyone to mount it themselves" but it seems pretty trouble-free from a user perspective once you get used to the idea that your files aren't necessarily local and might take a moment to appear.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I dunno, I use RHEL7 for everything, but I've never once messed with Autofs besides the test.

Same.

I didn’t quite get the hang of it in my labs, thought the ipa server was acting up. I decided to not pay too much attention to it after messing with it for 3 full days and not getting it too work. I would not advise anyone to do the same.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The main justification for autofs in the bad old days is being able to bring up a system that uses nfs but doesn't need it to boot.. like home directories. There's also some logic that if an nfs server goes to poo poo it doesn't lock clients up because those clients will have unmounted unused mounts.

You could also update mounts via nis to allow adding and removing nfs servers without having to update fstabs everywhere.

In practice it's not that elegant. The on-demand mounting generally works, but some poorly written software will fail on an fopen because a file doesn't exist yet. Or users keep a mount mounted 100% of the time so if the server croaks, the client locks up anyways.

The nis part is pretty handy though (but puppet has made it irrelevant).

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
Yeah. I use autofs for just a single case at home: mounting a cifs share to my laptop when I enter/list that directory. It means that my cifs share is available round the house and my laptop doesn't stall during boot if it's not connected to home WiFi.

It's easy enough to set up for my use case, but I can imagine in a production environment that it could be a pain.

We admin RHEL6 boxes at work and are planning to go to 7 eventually but I don't think the boss is planning to use autofs in any capacity.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

poo poo, the 40 year old network i administered used autofs for homedirs. that poo poo either works flawlessly or is a nightmare of tracing nfs and ldap to figure out what failed.

the nightmare part was added when someone tied it to ad Kerberos auth instead of basic ldap.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

the nightmare part was added when someone tied it to ad Kerberos auth instead of basic ldap.

I feel bad for the guy who had to roll out nfs4 with kerberos auth that would work on both linux and windows workstations.

I think I watched his hair go grey overnight.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

xzzy posted:

I feel bad for the guy who had to roll out nfs4 with kerberos auth that would work on both linux and windows workstations.

I think I watched his hair go grey overnight.

it was the branch of the company in Germany. it always made sense to me.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

evol262 posted:

Don't see anything obvious here, either.

I suspect we're not gonna find an answer on SA unless you want to give someone SSH access to the system, which I doubt

In the end we just blew away phpipam and redid it. The migration gave the same error the first time as the initial question, but I just re-tried the migration and it succeeded without issue. So we're good, but thank you so much for the help. I at least learned a lot while doing all this.

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich
What's the hive mind's consensus for baby's first Linux? Dual boot windows 7 on an ancient laptop only intermittently online if any of that makes a difference.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I'm playing around with building dashboards on a Raspberry Pi. I'm using a stripped-down raspbian-lite install with LXDE manually installed.

So far I've managed to get a Chromium window to automatically open on boot with no window decorations. I can use Kiosk mode if I go fullscreen (this hides the tabs and address bar like fullscreen mode) but I want to be able to set the window size and position (think "borderless window" mode like in lots of PC games) because then I can configure window placement via a single file. "App mode" doesn't do this. Apparently Chrome used to have a Compact Mode that did exactly this, but it was taken out many years ago.

Is there a way to hide the tabs and address bar in Chromium without going fullscreen, or is there another browser I could try that supports this feature more easily?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

DizzyBum posted:

I'm playing around with building dashboards on a Raspberry Pi. I'm using a stripped-down raspbian-lite install with LXDE manually installed.

So far I've managed to get a Chromium window to automatically open on boot with no window decorations. I can use Kiosk mode if I go fullscreen (this hides the tabs and address bar like fullscreen mode) but I want to be able to set the window size and position (think "borderless window" mode like in lots of PC games) because then I can configure window placement via a single file. "App mode" doesn't do this. Apparently Chrome used to have a Compact Mode that did exactly this, but it was taken out many years ago.

Is there a way to hide the tabs and address bar in Chromium without going fullscreen, or is there another browser I could try that supports this feature more easily?

Just embed Chromium. A 10 line Electron app could do this

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

evol262 posted:

Just embed Chromium. A 10 line Electron app could do this

I've never heard of Electron before this; looking into it now. Have any good resources?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Electron is basically "make web applications appear to be desktop applications by embedding Chromium into its own window, and give Javascript some easy UX bindings for desktop applications".

You can follow the official tutorial, or this, which is basically the code from it. Replace "mainWindow.loadURL(format..." with "mainWIndow.loadURL("http://...")" and you're 90% there.

Then create a frameless window of the correct size.

Spotify, Slack, and a number of other applications are Electron now to ease development of a unified web/mobile/desktop experience.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I never thought i'd see it, but this is a perfect example where an Electron based application actually makes sense. The only worry i'd have about it would be if the memory on the poor Pi would be enough.
One additional slight change on the tech stack I'd make would be openbox/fluxbox over lxde as they are slightly bit smaller.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

evol262 posted:

Electron is basically "make web applications appear to be desktop applications by embedding Chromium into its own window, and give Javascript some easy UX bindings for desktop applications".

You can follow the official tutorial, or this, which is basically the code from it. Replace "mainWindow.loadURL(format..." with "mainWIndow.loadURL("http://...")" and you're 90% there.

Then create a frameless window of the correct size.

Spotify, Slack, and a number of other applications are Electron now to ease development of a unified web/mobile/desktop experience.

Volguus posted:

I never thought i'd see it, but this is a perfect example where an Electron based application actually makes sense. The only worry i'd have about it would be if the memory on the poor Pi would be enough.
One additional slight change on the tech stack I'd make would be openbox/fluxbox over lxde as they are slightly bit smaller.

Yeah, this is exactly what I needed. I'm gonna play around with this and see what sticks. Thanks a lot!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Vaginal Vagrant posted:

What's the hive mind's consensus for baby's first Linux? Dual boot windows 7 on an ancient laptop only intermittently online if any of that makes a difference.

Ubuntu

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Vaginal Vagrant posted:

KUbuntu if you like something that works like the start menu in Windows. Linux Mint is also well liked.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

If you can wait a couple weeks, the latest Ubuntu 18.04 is due for release by the end of this month. So you can play with the latest and greatest versions of software.

Linux Mint is nice and that is what I run, it is based on Ubuntu so not a ton difference aside from the default window manager. However keep in mind the latest Mint is still based on Ubuntu 16.04, so its about 2yrs behind at this point. I think Mint should release their next version a couple months after Ubuntu 18.04 comes out.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Vaginal Vagrant posted:

Fedora and don't worry about it. Really. There is nothing in Ubuntu that a newbie would ever want ( have old and unstable packages, the worst combination of them all).

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Volguus posted:

Fedora and don't worry about it. Really. There is nothing in Ubuntu that a newbie would ever want ( have old and unstable packages, the worst combination of them all).

Fedora is otherwise fine, but a slight annoyance is support for Nvidia drivers and things like MP4.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

If my wife came up to me and said she wanted Linux on her laptop, I'd use Ubuntu.

Also I'd check to make sure she wasn't being mind-controlled.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Saukkis posted:

Fedora is otherwise fine, but a slight annoyance is support for Nvidia drivers and things like MP4.

Depends on the gpu. I run my older card on the nouveau drivers and haven’t had any issues with Steam games etc. Otherwise just add the rpmfusion repo I think and add the proprietary drivers and media players / codecs you need.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I'm having trouble mounting a NFS share inside a docker container. The container's on the same machine as the server, which is a Synology NAS. I know I can mount the shares directly, but the whole idea of the container is to test the configuration of an app which is configured to mount the shares over NFS. Anyways, when I run showmount (with any argument I've tried), I get
code:
clnt_create: RPC: Unknown host
I don't think it's a networking issue, as I can ping the server, and nmap on port 2049 shows the open port. I don't think it's the NFS permissions, as I set one test share to * and I still can't see it. I googled the issue and am now using privileged mode, still no luck. What am I missing?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Vaginal Vagrant posted:

gentoo. it will show you everything you need to know about becoming a linux user.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

SurgicalOntologist posted:

I'm having trouble mounting a NFS share inside a docker container. The container's on the same machine as the server, which is a Synology NAS. I know I can mount the shares directly, but the whole idea of the container is to test the configuration of an app which is configured to mount the shares over NFS. Anyways, when I run showmount (with any argument I've tried), I get
code:
clnt_create: RPC: Unknown host
I don't think it's a networking issue, as I can ping the server, and nmap on port 2049 shows the open port. I don't think it's the NFS permissions, as I set one test share to * and I still can't see it. I googled the issue and am now using privileged mode, still no luck. What am I missing?

Is the container trying to mount an IP address, or a FQDN