Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Housh posted:

That's exactly what I was thinking when I was playing it. If you are a high profile person like CliffyB why the gently caress would you even think of releasing this poo poo at this stage. The only thing I can think of is trying to get crowd funding from people who think they are on the ground floor for something special.

Radical Heights sure is special.
desperation, because they can't get a publisher to support them after lawbreakers and they're about to go bankrupt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Beat the Splinter Cell mission in Wildlands, and boy was that a real pain in the loving rear end piece of poo poo mission worse than the Predator one.

1. Forced stealth infiltration where you can't kill anyone or even knock them out
2. Unskippable cutscene with Sam yammering
3. Long defense shootout with a bajillion dudes and choppers homing in on you that if you die, kicks you all the way back to the beginning with the forced stealth
4. Then you have to escape across the map, and if you die here, you go all the way back to the start, and the logical step of getting in a vehicle and running away is actually the worst thing you can do, you're supposed to hoof it on foot through the woods until you lose your tail and then get a vehicle, also Sam can bug out and not get in

But it alludes to a new Splinter Cell in the works apparently and also you get the sweet recon goggles. Also this Xbox interview with Michael Ironside is pretty nuts and actually really funny: http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/04/10/splinter-cells-michael-ironside-i-never-left-i-am-sam-fisher

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

the console version of JC3 is a huge travesty, idk how they hosed up the game so badly

I'm real mad about it and might just play something else instead.

I've had this for like 2 years or something and got a couple hours into it last time before I got too annoyed by the performance issues.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Can't believe I'm seriously considering buying the 3DS version of Dragon Quest 8 just for the portability and instant alchemy feature, despite it kind of being a downgrade in every other way.

brain broke

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mordja posted:

Hahaha, just :lol: at some guy I don't know about liking a game and getting overexcited about it. Why can't he have the same unfeeling, ironic detachment as me?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Expect My Mom posted:

Can't believe I'm seriously considering buying the 3DS version of Dragon Quest 8 just for the portability and instant alchemy feature, despite it kind of being a downgrade in every other way.

brain broke

Don't forget the bonus of being able to get morrie on your team

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

won't someone think of the pretentious chodes

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

suuma posted:

I'm real mad about it and might just play something else instead.

I've had this for like 2 years or something and got a couple hours into it last time before I got too annoyed by the performance issues.

the worst part isn't even the framerate on consoles, it's the game doing its darndest to lock away fun tools and abilities behind boring trials when you just want to keep blowing stuff up.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Nina posted:

Man FighterZ is so close to being the entry 2D fighting game but these are incredibly bad tutorials I'm looking at

hate to break it to you but ArcSys tutorials are basically the gold standard of the entire genre

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

the worst part isn't even the framerate on consoles, it's the game doing its darndest to lock away fun tools and abilities behind boring trials when you just want to keep blowing stuff up.

I'd be ok with the trials if it didn't take like a minute and a half to re-load it when I press retry.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Cowcaster posted:

won't someone think of the pretentious chodes

That was the name of my pop punk polka band

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Chodemasters

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Resident Evil: Chode Veronica

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

FirstAidKite posted:

Don't forget the bonus of being able to get morrie on your team
the new characters are probably cool but I've still never beaten 8 so I'd probably just the original party anyway

the original party is so good!!!!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I learned today that they added a bunch of tutorials to Injustice 2 and... they actually seem pretty detailed?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

god, why can't a new Chromehounds exist? seriously how has not a single dev or publisher looked at that game and thought "yes this could rake in money"?

e: WHAT THE gently caress APPARENTLY THERE'S AN INDIE GAME CALLED "MODULAR ASSAULT VEHICLE" AND IT LOOKS LIKE CHROMEHOUNDS AND WORLD OF TANKS hosed AND HAD A BABY

It's not Chromehounds unless I can fire rocket launchers backwards and accelerate infinitely.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I learned today that they added a bunch of tutorials to Injustice 2 and... they actually seem pretty detailed?

I'm terrible at fighting games and I'm an incredibly sore loser but I really want to play some Injustice 2. They have loving Hellboy, goddamnit.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Something like 90% of all Injustice 2 players don't even have the 10 Ranked Matches achievement last I checked. It has very robust multiverse and single player content to keep you busy even if you never play competitively.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Was Chromehounds the one that had like a world war happening online in real time and you had to pick a side and stuff

was that side of it cool or was it just fun to shoot stuff

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

hate to break it to you but ArcSys tutorials are basically the gold standard of the entire genre

The dbfz tutorial is booty and barely there though, which is a shame considering how good Rev was.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Expect My Mom posted:

the new characters are probably cool but I've still never beaten 8 so I'd probably just the original party anyway

the original party is so good!!!!

You also get no random battles in the 3ds version and the option to speed up combat.

The photo mode is also super good and has a great questline built around it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Expect My Mom posted:

brain broke

I don't feel like it will be a downgrade because it's only otherwise available on PlayStation 2. Yeah you can get a mobile phone version but no thanks to that. Those ports always suck.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

The dbfz tutorial is booty and barely there though, which is a shame considering how good Rev was.

Bamco probably wouldnt pay or wait for it. Tekken 7 had a port from arcade 3 years in the making and doesnt even have combo trials.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

codenameFANGIO posted:

What is it about Far Cry games that drives writers mad with power??

Just a reminder that the funny Giant Bomb tweet dunking on the Borderlands 2 writer is defending the writer of Far Cry 3 (I think?)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Help Im Alive posted:

Was Chromehounds the one that had like a world war happening online in real time and you had to pick a side and stuff

was that side of it cool or was it just fun to shoot stuff

Yeah, that was it. It could have been fun but it was really buggy and unbalanced.

It wasn't even that fun to shoot stuff since there was one clearly dominant build you'd run into all the time.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Zaggitz posted:

You also get no random battles in the 3ds version and the option to speed up combat.

The photo mode is also super good and has a great questline built around it.
Oh nice, that's kind of appealing. I assume that version looks better in motion than it does in screenshots? cause it kinda looks muddy and I'm not a fan.

Not like the PS2 version looks much better when blown up on my modern TV tho

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Discovered mods are supported in Skyrim VR, so my first course of action was to download Geralt's sword from The Witcher.

Bear! Bear! Run you stupid piece of poo poo!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'm thinking of picking up a 3DS (late, I know) and have been poking around local auction sites for a decent second hand one. Does a 3DS XL along with Pokemon Omega Ruby and Pokemon X for $160 seem like a good deal, or should I hold out for something better?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm playing Owlboy and it seems pretty good so far

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It should be repeated that the tutorials in the new Under Night are the best in the fighting game genre. It not only goes into all aspects of the game's mechanics but all aspects of the mechanics in the genre that are applicable and it even has special tutorials for each character that points out their strengths and weaknesses and tells you which moves will best serve that character and how to use them

Comparatively I don't think DBF even explains all the mechanics specific to that game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tekken 7 doesn't even have an in game menu that tells you what the buttons do.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I really hope the arcsys crossover game raises the profile of Under Night because it is the secret best fighting series going on right now

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I agree, and the UNIEL characters are the only reason im interested in BBxTB but its too expensive

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SirSamVimes posted:

I'm thinking of picking up a 3DS (late, I know) and have been poking around local auction sites for a decent second hand one. Does a 3DS XL along with Pokemon Omega Ruby and Pokemon X for $160 seem like a good deal, or should I hold out for something better?

That doesn't seem too bad, but I paid 200 for a New Nintendo 3DS XL, and some later games only work on the "New" models.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Love dividing those clauses

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

What strikes me as an oversight for getting completely new people into fighting games is missing tutorials for the most basic stuff like character specific "Use this combo to punish a big whiff/block". Like they don't need to be super optimized or anything, just a relatively easy combo (that should work regardless of patch) that is automatically set up in a training context where the enemy does the same thing each time and you have prompts for what to do and have to repeat it 10 times or something. Yeah you can set that up manually in most training modes now, but it is also beneficial to have that preset. Even the better ighting game tutorials from what I've seen tend to go too far into theory or simply explaining mechanics rather than things like what to do when someone is constantly in your face. They typically give the impression that the people making them have forgotten what it is like to start from nothing.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

chumbler posted:

(that should work regardless of patch)

Just as an aside the only company that pulls this poo poo is Capcom because they're terrible at making FGs.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
picking up a console at the end of its lifespan is actually an incredibly pro gamer strat and i wish i had the restraint to constantly be one generation behind. i'd be playing Yakuza 3 right now with the knowledge that i have like 10 more Yakuza games to play later

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

But how would you Join the Conversation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...