Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Maybe I'm weird but I really wasn't feeling Dusty's lip sync at all. It just seemed aimless and jerky to me.

Sad to see her go though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
That's how I felt too. The winner of the lipsync was really, really clear to me.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Tendai posted:

That's how I felt too. The winner of the lipsync was really, really clear to me.

Same. With the caveat that maybe it's because we're straights, my fiancee and I were just screaming at the TV the whole time during the lip sync because it was so clear one person "got" Nicki Minaj over the other. One embodied her, and the other just seemed to kind of flail around.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Glad I'm not alone. I kept seeing everyone saying they both killed it and was very confused.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Chaotic Flame posted:

Glad I'm not alone. I kept seeing everyone saying they both killed it and was very confused.

One was definitely the winner, but I loved what the other one did during the final dance break. Very effective and very in character for her.

It helps that she can perform, all of the queens who went home earlier didn't do much when it was their time to go.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I really wanted Dusty to go further but yeah it was a totally legit lipsync call for me

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Dusty clearly lost the lip sync, but she gave a high energy performance and gave good face/mouth.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Sometimes it feels like the song for the episode is cleaaaarly giving an advantage to one of the performers, this was one of them.
(e: I know that they are predetermined but sometimes it's just like, jeeesus. I'm rewatching S3 and the episode where the lipsync song is in Spanish feels a bit unfair)

Dusty's new song sucks and the notes in the chorus remind me so much of a Taking Back Sunday song lol

PS Aquaria is an awkward weirdo because she's an Aquarius

The Berzerker fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 14, 2018

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

The Berzerker posted:

(e: I know that they are predetermined but sometimes it's just like, jeeesus. I'm rewatching S3 and the episode where the lipsync song is in Spanish feels a bit unfair)

I love that one because you think Carmen’s going to get completely crushed and she does a surprisingly great job.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Something about Blair always reminds me of the painted illustrations on the front of the McCall's dress patterns my mother and grandmother had when I was a kid.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Huh, you're really right. That totally just clicked in my head too.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I mean she has that same sort of classical look but there's something more specific about it that I can't quite put my finger on. I think it's something about the way she carries herself that just reminds me of those poses.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Phone posting so I can’t easily pull up a picture, but yours finally made me realize what I kept seeing in Blair’s looks: Darwyn Cooke, the artist who did DC New Frontier and a bunch of other comics. Really close to the artwork you posted, same classic looks.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

What does everyone think of Blair's runway walk? I remember she looked a bit like a newborn deer this week but I don't remember her looking so gangly in previous weeks.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I was really happy that Blair was safe and I'm not sure why y'all thought she should have been top. I fell in love with her a little from the editing, but I would have read her to filth for her Miami look. It had me worried.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I could see Blair top 3 or safe. I would have much prefered Mayhem top 3, tho. The only look of Cracker's I loved was her Miami one. The Martian one had the helmet and the brows, but otherwise I thought was just okay. Blair's Miami look was kind of a choice. A fine idea but it looked cheap and huge on her, she probably spent the least time on it.

Though some of her looks still seem a bit big on her in general. Well made, tho, other than the Miami one.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

garthoneeye posted:

I love that one because you think Carmen’s going to get completely crushed and she does a surprisingly great job.

the first ever Chantay You Both Stay!

On another note, I'm currently watching S3 Untucked and god it's so lovely when half Filipino, half Swedish Manila does a whole interview as a loving ching chong bing bong racist cartoon character, and when Shangela (of all people! who uses the t-word so loving much in this season!) calls her out on it, everybody is like "nah it's pretty much fine, she's some kind of Asian so it's basically the same thing")

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

sorry I sometimes start randomly posting about other seasons, I basically watch this show on a loop every day in the background while I'm doing stuff :shobon:

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

The Berzerker posted:

On another note, I'm currently watching S3 Untucked and god it's so lovely when half Filipino, half Swedish Manila does a whole interview as a loving ching chong bing bong racist cartoon character, and when Shangela (of all people! who uses the t-word so loving much in this season!) calls her out on it, everybody is like "nah it's pretty much fine, she's some kind of Asian so it's basically the same thing")

Yeah, season 3 has not aged well. Untucked is especially rough. I wonder if Ru would give Manila that win (edit: the win for that racist interviewer character, I mean) if season 3 were happening right now. I kind of suspect she would :(

Toast Museum fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 15, 2018

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I've never rewatached it and I love Manila, but Raja kind of had it in the bag. She had the sort of daring, dramatic, polished look that Ru gags over. The Heathers were a bit nasty, but it's that thing where reality television villains of old sometimes look downright cute by today's standards.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Propaganda Machine posted:

I've never rewatached it and I love Manila, but Raja kind of had it in the bag. She had the sort of daring, dramatic, polished look that Ru gags over. The Heathers were a bit nasty, but it's that thing where reality television villains of old sometimes look downright cute by today's standards.

Edited my post for clarity. I meant the win on that interview episode where she did the Asian caricature. The season definitely belonged to Raja, though I think she'd get some blowback about appropriation for some of those looks now.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Season 3 is special in that, statistically, Manila and Raja were tied. It could have gone either way and felt 10000000% right. Closest top 2 we've had.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Chaotic Flame posted:

Maybe I'm weird but I really wasn't feeling Dusty's lip sync at all. It just seemed aimless and jerky to me.
It was very Milk's-Hip-Hop-Dancing and I wasn't feeling it at all.

Also: Everybody fixating on the Dusty/Kameron hotness and I'm over here creepy-creepin' on Blair St. Mormonboyz.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Trig Discipline posted:

Something about Blair always reminds me of the painted illustrations on the front of the McCall's dress patterns my mother and grandmother had when I was a kid.

omg I need to find this pattern irl that bolero jacket is ADORABLE.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

That reminds me, how did JaJa's blackface Nicki Minaj get a free pass in here and elsewhere?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

shadow puppet of a posted:

That reminds me, how did JaJa's blackface Nicki Minaj get a free pass in here and elsewhere?

Oof, I didn't notice it at the time, but I see it now that you mention it. If we want to give out free passes, there's the spiel about blackface not having the same baggage elsewhere that it has here. I'm more willing to buy that in this case than I am when people trot it out to justify Zwarte Piet costumes, at least.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Jaja was also just kooky in general. It wasn't just being foreign and speaking better English than Thai. She has a great aura but she leaves herself open for criticism, and Thailand held no punches.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

The Berzerker posted:

There's something to be said about the way American culture (especially media) tends to treat east/southeast Asia as more homogenous than it is in reality; Manila could feasibly pass for Chinese (and could have faced some of the same generic "L = R" racist jokes from peers for all we know), so she ran with it. Phi Phi passes for a Chicano so she plays a chola character in All Stars 2 despite being Filipino. It's wonky and not 100% true to life at times (Shangela trying to police that situation came off worse for me, honestly). This might be a reach but I kind of consider it similar to Maya Rudolph playing whatever race is necessary in the moment in SNL.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah, it wasn't Shangela's place to lead the charge but I think her point was fair. I've finished the S3 rewatch and honestly it made me dislike Raja, she's soooo mean - and she lies! In the hair challenge she lies to Ru multiple times (it comes out in Untucked) and it really rubbed me the wrong way. Also yeah didn't love the headdress thing, Raja lookin' like a white girl going to a music festival.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

fun fact about Raja: iirc she complained about the lack of time to finish her looks during the money ball (manila may have, too) so the producers extended the time even though yara finished all of hers on time. helps explain her breakdown. in general the girls were stretched super thin in s3 due to all the sewing challenges and like back to back balls. plus that was the season ru got sick and they had to halt production while he recovered

but yeah raja was a bitch. everyone on s3 was p much. she's still one of my fave winners and one of my fave seasons, tho it somehow managed to age worse than s2 in terms of lovely terms being thrown around casually as was the norm even so recently as that

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
There's a meme going around right now that stretches the sentence "Thank You So Much For Being An Amazing Queen" or some such with pictures of each of the winners since S1, with "Not You" on a picture with Tyra in boy drag.

Was pretty fun arguing with white gay men after I called out fawning over Bianca and Sharon despite their obvious lovely behavior. Got a lot of "Bianca's an insult comic so her talking poo poo about Carmen is just what she does; also she's successful and you're just jealous about it."

Unrelated, but this Miss Vanjie Youtube video rocks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-YYav7fnCg

Ubiquitous_ fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 16, 2018

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ubiquitous_ posted:

There's a meme going around right now that stretches the sentence "Thank You So Much For Being An Amazing Queen" or some such with pictures of each of the winners since S1, with "Not You" on a picture with Tyra in boy drag.

Was pretty fun arguing with white gay men after I called out Bianca and Sharon fans for their obvious lovely behavior. Got a lot of "Bianca's an insult comic so her talking poo poo about Carmen is just what she does; also she's successful and you're just jealous about it."

This is why the concept of intersectionality exists and also why cis white gay dudes are the most hostile toward it in the community, with terfs a close second.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

cis autodrag posted:

This is why the concept of intersectionality exists and also why cis white gay dudes are the most hostile toward it in the community, with terfs a close second.

Was combing through Tyra’s FB since she was banned from DragCon. She’s been making some pretty great points.

One being that Jeffrey Star is still allowed to attend, despite his racist comments, but the “angry black queen” won’t be. Makes me wonder what The Vixen’s association with WOW and Drag Race will be like after this season.

Eureka apparently has had a history of dropping the N word (with the -a ending) multiple times in the past. Lovely.

Ubiquitous_ fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 16, 2018

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Eureka apparently has had a history of dropping the N word (with the -a ending) multiple times in the past. Lovely.

the rpdr reddit seems to be pretty defensive of eureka, like "it was ages ago and she apologised" but god drat that word had been a massive no-no since i was in primary school, and im older than her and in another country. she really should know better

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Was combing through Tyra’s FB since she was banned from DragCon. She’s been making some pretty great points.

One being that Jeffrey Star is still allowed to attend, despite his racist comments, but the “angry black queen” won’t be. Makes me wonder what The Vixen’s association with WOW and Drag Race will be like after this season.

I'm a light skinned mixed girl and I have dropped the n word once in my whole life and felt awful. Whities got no excuses.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

alf_pogs posted:

the rpdr reddit seems to be pretty defensive of eureka, like "it was ages ago and she apologised" but god drat that word had been a massive no-no since i was in primary school, and im older than her and in another country. she really should know better

We didn't forgive Paula Deen for it (and she did it with the -er ending), we're not gonna forgive and excuse Eureka for it. Like Sharon Needles, like PewDiePie, you have zero reason as a white person to ever use either word.

The video of Eureka doing it is just embarrassing.

Ubiquitous_ fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 16, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The RPDR reddit seems to be mostly white 12yo girls, especially during on season.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

esperterra posted:

The RPDR reddit seems to be mostly white 12yo girls, especially during on season.

Yeah, there's a whole hell of a lot of young people who know that queer people are "in vogue" or whatever and want to participate in our communities and discussions without bothering to learn even a little bit about us first. It's the most blase expression of privilege.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Tyra wasn't banned for being rude, she was banned for literally threatening violence against other queens.

not saying that people who say racist poo poo shouldn't also be banned, but framing it as if Tyra was only banned because she's "angry" isn't really accurate

e: also Tyra tried framing it as her being discriminated against in the "angry black queen" narrative except the focus of her ire was another black queen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i thought it was tati that she wanted to bash

• Locked thread