Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, just read that. Liked Mail Call growing up. Never watched FMJ.

E: new page R. Lee Ermey died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Scraped the garage doors.

Fixed some plumbing

Shits going so slow I'm not sure I'm get it all done. House needs to be on market mid May.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

trouser chili posted:

Fixed some plumbing

Shits going so slow I'm not sure I'm get it all done. House needs to be on market mid May.

I saw an Integra Type-R yesterday out in the wild, legit five-bolt, badges, stickers, interior, everything. It had a "The Club" on the steering wheel.

Wish they weren't so rare because I quite like them. I was thinking of sticking around to congratulate the owner but I had brought my Saabaru instead of my rusty-as-hell EG, and also any ITR owner is probably packing some kind of personal defence weapon.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

My giant home improvement project this weekend was to change the cap on the A/C unit outside. It was a grueling 15 minutes of light work. Oh, and I sprayed a few weeds that I was too lazy to pull.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Well, the city I live in passed a new bylaw a week ago, and it contains this whopper:

quote:

any unused, abandoned, dismantled or inoperative vehicle, or any vehicle which is not licenced with a currently validated licence place pursuant to the provisions of the Highway Traffic Act, except where the City’s Zoning By-law permits a related Land use

The typo is directly from the by-law page for the city, but we can probably assume they mean plate.

This is a problem, I have two unplated vehicles, one without any wheels and half a suspension. Right now they're at my folks' place but that's changing very soon. It's gonna be at least two-three months before I have the remainder of the parts needed just to get the cruiser road legal, let alone not looking like rear end. Longer if I end up having to buy a new bed instead of getting the old one fixed. It has to stay in my driveway once I lose shop space, I have nowhere else to put it. As for the Hilux, it is partially disassembled, has no bed, wheels, or rear suspension. I was planning on moving it to my back yard so I could work on it here, that truck's at least a year away from reassembly. I don't know what to fuckin' do other than hope my neighbours don't mind it since my privacy fence will at least hide it from the street.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Fermented Tinal posted:

Well, the city I live in passed a new bylaw a week ago, and it contains this whopper:

The typo is directly from the by-law page for the city, but we can probably assume they mean plate.

This is a problem, I have two unplated vehicles, one without any wheels and half a suspension. Right now they're at my folks' place but that's changing very soon. It's gonna be at least two-three months before I have the remainder of the parts needed just to get the cruiser road legal, let alone not looking like rear end. Longer if I end up having to buy a new bed instead of getting the old one fixed. It has to stay in my driveway once I lose shop space, I have nowhere else to put it. As for the Hilux, it is partially disassembled, has no bed, wheels, or rear suspension. I was planning on moving it to my back yard so I could work on it here, that truck's at least a year away from reassembly. I don't know what to fuckin' do other than hope my neighbours don't mind it since my privacy fence will at least hide it from the street.

That applies to your back yard? Does it matter if it's in a shed? Could you get one of those tent garage type setups? Anyways, seems unnecessarily draconian.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Never watched FMJ.

Dude. Rectify this mistake immediately. Full Metal Jacket is such a superb film.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Probably INTENDED (or sold to people as) to police people using their land as a literal junkyard, but who knows what the end result is.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Dude. Rectify this mistake immediately. Full Metal Jacket is such a superb film.

I agree he should watch it but it goes downhill after they actually go to war.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Never watched FMJ.
What is your major malfunction, numbnuts?

slothrop posted:

Anyways, seems unnecessarily draconian.
Australian legislation dot text.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Larrymer posted:

I agree he should watch it but it goes downhill after they actually go to war.

Wrong. That movie is amazing once they go to war. It makes it hit home so much more.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Fermented Tinal posted:

Usually cities don't have the resources to track down cars that violate these kind of bylaws and the only time they're enforced is if you leave your car on the street with an expired plate and a passing cop sees it or if a neighbor calls and complains.

You'll probably be fine as long as you're on good terms with your neighbors and don't cause an eyesore with your non-registered vehicles.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

slothrop posted:

That applies to your back yard? Does it matter if it's in a shed? Could you get one of those tent garage type setups? Anyways, seems unnecessarily draconian.

Applies to entire property, but inside a building is probably ok. Don't have a building. Tent style carports run afoul of a different bylaw iirc.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

InitialDave posted:

Australian legislation dot text.

smalltownontario.txt

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

iwentdoodie posted:

Wrong. That movie is amazing once they go to war. It makes it hit home so much more.

It's not a feel-good movie.

But it is a very good movie.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Borrowed some space heaters from friends, and they work well enough in my tiny townhouse that I can just use them for the next few weeks. I forgot that winter's basically over and this is the time of year that I shut my furnace off anyway. So the pressure is off there, I can replace it in August or something.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

LloydDobler posted:

Borrowed some space heaters from friends, and they work well enough in my tiny townhouse that I can just use them for the next few weeks. I forgot that winter's basically over and this is the time of year that I shut my furnace off anyway. So the pressure is off there, I can replace it in August or something.

Hopefully you don't get turbofucked on your electric bill instead, those things use a ton of power. Maybe cancel the vacation and fix your furnace? Build up an emergency fund so you aren't put in such a situation next time?

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 16, 2018

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

LloydDobler posted:

Have you taken a look at what specifically broke? Any chance of repairing in the off-season?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It was a movie that was adored by the same people in the military that I loathed. Protein-powder-chugging brickheads that idolized the hazing scenes and made fun of Pyle for"being a pussy," so I went out of my way to never watch it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

It was a movie that was adored by the same people in the military that I loathed. Protein-powder-chugging brickheads that idolized the hazing scenes and made fun of Pyle for"being a pussy," so I went out of my way to never watch it.

They almost certainly didn't understand it and enjoyed it at the most superficial level.

You will enjoy watching it, but I guarantee you won't cheer.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

iwentdoodie posted:

Yeah the PT stuff sets the tone then they get shipped out and it hits home how bleak the whole affair is.

I feel like those people didn't actually understand the movie past the first half. It's definitely worth watching despite how you feel about those dickheads.

*edit: what Spog said ^^

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
It's a lot like the fascism commentary in Starship Troopers. I love me some Kubrick.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

trouser chili posted:

Fixed some plumbing

Horror flashbacks from prepping my house for sale. In the end we ran out of time and hired someone to knock out everything left on the list. When we go to sell the wife's house, which has now been pushed back to at least fall, we're hiring someone from day 1. I could spend 8 hours 'fixing' poo poo or I could hire someone that knows what they're doing and could knock it out in 3-4. Obviously not every job but for the bigger ones that I have no interest in doing I'll hire it out.

Burned the brush pile the previous owners left us Saturday. What we expected would be done in 4-6 hours burned most of the day. What we thought was a small hole they were tossing small brush into is more of a six foot deep hole, looks like the result of a huge tree falling. We'd planned on filling it flush but now that would take several truck loads so we're going to see how 2 truck loads works for covering everything.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Fermented Tinal posted:

Applies to entire property, but inside a building is probably ok. Don't have a building. Tent style carports run afoul of a different bylaw iirc.

Generally speaking, if it can't be seen from the street (and the neighbors don't bitch) it doesn't exist, but I'm speaking from a USA (Texas) urban experience.
I've had two Mazda RX-7s in my side yard behind a privacy fence for a decade.
"Had". One actually made it's way back to the driveway, and I pulled the engine out of the other over the weekend to hopefully combine the two.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Job chat: just verbally accepted a systems admin position with a startup metal fabrication company.

Its going to mean an immediate 20% raise ($42,500 to $52,000/annually), 50% decrease in daily commute and most importantly, a substantial bump in title. This will be the first meaningful raise to my base pay that I've had since 2010.

Going to be working with another admin from the parent company in Detroit for the first six months, then after that I'll be running all things IT with guidance/direction from the home office. I'm still in the "pinch me, I'm dreaming" phase - currently working tech support for a small industrial printer company that could best be described as a struggling business in a dying industry. I've read the writing on the wall here and assuming the place doesn't go under in the next year or two it'll just be more of the same "raises aren't in the budget this year" bullshit I've been putting up with since 2010.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

God drat eBay. I sold a set of wheels over the weekend, packaged them up, and paid for a shipping label to get them all the way to South Carolina (not cheap for something this big and heavy from the rebulic of Canukistan) and today the buyer messages me that he didn't intend to buy and wants to cancel.

How do you accidentally purchase a $1000+ set of wheels, and pay for them, that you didn't intend to buy.

Now I have to deal with this mess and figure out if I'm screwed on the shipping charges.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bajaha posted:

God drat eBay. I sold a set of wheels over the weekend, packaged them up, and paid for a shipping label to get them all the way to South Carolina (not cheap for something this big and heavy from the rebulic of Canukistan) and today the buyer messages me that he didn't intend to buy and wants to cancel.

How do you accidentally purchase a $1000+ set of wheels, and pay for them, that you didn't intend to buy.

Now I have to deal with this mess and figure out if I'm screwed on the shipping charges.

You haven't actually shipped them right?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Thankfully no as it was the weekend so I'm hopeful I can get the shipping fee back and I avoided the transcontinental mystery of what happens when it's on it's way it gets rerouted back.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

trouser chili posted:

Fixed some plumbing

Ugh, spent part of my weekend doing a "minor" plumbing project(swapping out the sink/vanity in our small bathroom with a tiny wall mount sink to give us more room), which turned way too much time spent figuring out why the valve that has been fine for years all of a sudden won't seal. Shutdown the water the house, pulled the valve(which was fine), then I noticed the pipe it was threaded too didn't look that great....

God only knows how many years that has been there for. I am about ready to say gently caress it and pull all this galvanized pipe and replace it with PEX. The water flow is terrible in this bathroom, and now it seems to be worse with the new sink/tap. I guess thats what I get for loving with something that was working fine.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I just spent $630 on my loving eyes today. Can't get same day service because lol my left eye is now -2.50 cylinder.

The good news is apparently I might have enough leftover "flex credits" through my work benefits from the last two years to cover most, if not all of that. The plus is that there's three pairs of glasses with identical rx coming my way which is something I haven't had in a long time.

E: More good news, sold another buttchoin for real money and might now have enough cash to get a bodyshop looking at repairing the cruiser's bed.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Because they only watch the first half, and don't understand the second. It shows you that war is hell, and that Vietnam was a loving mistake that made normally good people (Joker and others) do things that they should never have done, or never have to do. It also showed other characters lean in to it, enjoy it, and be punished in the most brutal of ways.

Writing off because of douchebags is doing yourself a disservice.

Also, FT: aren't you Canadian? Does y'alls insurance not cover vision? Cause drat. I'm American and thought my vision insurance sucked cause it only covers frames up to $120/yr OR $120 Worth of contacts.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
OHIP does not cover dental or vision if you're over 18. I think they might not cover vision at all aside from exams. I have third party insurance to cover that through my work benefits. Only covers 50%, but we get like $400 in "flex credits" a year that we can claim copays or any "health" realated thing towards, including glasses and exams. One of the three pairs I ordered today were a free pair of safety glasses that I get through work, but the only approved coatings are UV400 and anti-scratch, anti-glare isn't even something you can have tacked on without approval from HR for "medical reasons." Meanwhile, we work inside a building that is so well lit that even anti-glare coatings on normal glasses are barely able to keep up.

We have an election coming up and the NDP is promising to change this and I find myself heavily considering voting for the comedy option party for this and other reasons.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 16, 2018

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Fermented Tinal posted:

We have an election coming up and the NDP is promising to change this and I find myself heavily considering voting for the comedy option party for this and other reasons.

We've got Wynne (oh lords she has hosed this province), Doug "Mini Trump of the North" Ford, or Horwath's NDP - who have a decent platform and a real plan. I mean, I vote on the topics, not by party - but gently caress, please not Ford. He's a slack-jawed poo poo monger who has NO clue what he's doing. The NDP need to take this election, because the other options are so bloody terrible.

The libs really should ditch Wynne, but, hey.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Larrymer posted:

Hopefully you don't get turbofucked on your electric bill instead, those things use a ton of power. Maybe cancel the vacation and fix your furnace? Build up an emergency fund so you aren't put in such a situation next time?

Well that's what I'm realizing is that this is the time of year when my bill is the lowest because I don't run either the heat or the AC. Like last night I only ran one space heater in my room from 2AM to 6AM and the house was still 66 degrees in the morning. So I should be good.

I was just complaining about all these bills hitting me within a week. I'm better now. And I've already fixed my W4 so they take more loving withholding out and I don't run in to the tax problem next year.

Seminal Flu posted:

Have you taken a look at what specifically broke? Any chance of repairing in the off-season?

Maybe, but the thing is 24 years old and last time I looked at it the burner was all rusty and there was crud in the exhaust fan. The inspector told me when I bought this place in 06 that he didn't think the furnace had much life left in it, and I pulled 12 years out. So I'm not too bitter about replacing it. I already had one quote for $2400 to put a new one in but it was pretty low efficiency. I figure I can spend $3k and get something nice. I've known this was coming for a long time, and I need to replace it anyway because I want the place to be perfect if I decide to sell in the next few years, which is likely.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

If you're definitely not gonna use the furnace, turn off it's gas supply. No sense in testing what may be a 24yo control valve if the unit isn't in use.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Siochain posted:

I mean, I vote on the topics, not by party - but gently caress, please not Ford. He's a slack-jawed poo poo monger who has NO clue what he's doing. The NDP need to take this election, because the other options are so bloody terrible.

View from the prairies, so grain of salt. Unfortunately Horwath doesn't seem very interested in actually putting a platform out.

If anything, this should be the election in which you make bold crazy promises and put out a vision.

In non-politics chat: poo poo's cold. I'm sick of snow.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 16, 2018

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Was going to watch speed Racer due to this thread but it's gone from Netflix already.

Watching Robot Jox instead

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

slurry_curry posted:

Ugh, spent part of my weekend doing a "minor" plumbing project(swapping out the sink/vanity in our small bathroom with a tiny wall mount sink to give us more room), which turned way too much time spent figuring out why the valve that has been fine for years all of a sudden won't seal. Shutdown the water the house, pulled the valve(which was fine), then I noticed the pipe it was threaded too didn't look that great....

God only knows how many years that has been there for. I am about ready to say gently caress it and pull all this galvanized pipe and replace it with PEX. The water flow is terrible in this bathroom, and now it seems to be worse with the new sink/tap. I guess thats what I get for loving with something that was working fine.

Galvanized blows. I love copper and sweat fittings. Quarter turn ball valves for shutoffs are the way to go as well. Haven't played with PEX but it seems pretty easy, especially in retrofits. I got one more leak to chase/repair, then a crack in the foundation to epoxy, then a kitchen floor to tear up, then a bathroom to gut, and a deck to repair and restain. I'm paying for someone else to do paint/drywall repairs, new carpets, wood floor refinishing, new countertop in kitchen, new floor in kitchen.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

freelop posted:

Was going to watch speed Racer due to this thread but it's gone from Netflix already.

Watching Robot Jox instead

Such a great movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Siochain posted:

We've got Wynne (oh lords she has hosed this province), Doug "Mini Trump of the North" Ford, or Horwath's NDP - who have a decent platform and a real plan. I mean, I vote on the topics, not by party - but gently caress, please not Ford. He's a slack-jawed poo poo monger who has NO clue what he's doing. The NDP need to take this election, because the other options are so bloody terrible.

The libs really should ditch Wynne, but, hey.

My take is "Anyone but Wynne or an Ontario Liberal who isn't brand new to the game." Given how openly corrupt our Liberals are I can't find myself supporting them until the whole party undergoes a major shakeup. I personally think that McGuinty and Wynne and their cronies owe the province billions of dollars and should be forced to reimburse the province for their shenanigans instead of being able to get away with wrist-slapping someone who was barely involved.

Not saying I'm a Doug supporter, but don't be so quick to judge him poorly. Rob, aside from being known for smoking crack, speaking patois, and causing a ruckus in council, was quite possibly one of Toronto's better mayors, he was a slash machine when it came to council member entitlements and a trufflepig for wastes of taxpayer money. Most of the poo poo slinging in the media didn't start until he took away the council's free TTC passes because they were using them for non-official business. The council hated him for this and many other things he took away from them. Also, as a major departure from being like Trump, or even most conservatives, Doug, much like his late brother was, is immigrant friendly.

As for Horwath, I feel scared for admitting that I kinda hope we end up with an NDP government, despite what happened last time. So far, that's the way I'm leaning, but I could see myself voting for Doug, especially if the only other viable option is Wynne. I am 100% in support of firing everyone who runs HydroOne, for example, but he's gotta say some more progressive poo poo to make my ears pay attention.

• Locked thread