Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
My use case for a chainsaw is walking around the woods chopping up the smaller trees that are down on my paths; for the bigger ones I am going to hire someone with a bigger saw and experience.

I've got tinnitus that drives me a bit bonkers so I'm real cautious about noise. In another thread here someone suggested looking at electric chainsaws. I only knew of corded ones, and didn't realize that cordless tech on these had come a long way since the last time I looked at saws ~10 years ago. (of course I wear double hearing protection for loud stuff, but even at that, stuff like running my shop vac in a small basement for periods of time makes my ears real unhappy).

What does this thread think of this saw, for the uses I've described? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0765BPGDR/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B0765BPGDR&pd_rd_wg=B6ku1&pd_rd_r=18R0P986WQX0CXGMJT4N&pd_rd_w=FiH20

I generally have a hardon for Makita tools, but not really for any good reason. I know that I'm going to be spending more on this than I would for a gas saw; my question is what the other tradeoffs are.

It's hard for me to envision needing to spend more than an hour or two sawing on a given day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
From what I recall from prior chainsaw conversations, the main differences between gas and electric saws are a) electric saws will happily chew through teflon chaps and other safety gear that will stop a gas saw, and b) they aren't as good for sustained power like you'd need for serious felling. For taking down small trees they should be fine.

You still need to oil electric chainsaws, note, and the oil runs low faster than you might think.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

From what I recall from prior chainsaw conversations, the main differences between gas and electric saws are a) electric saws will happily chew through teflon chaps and other safety gear that will stop a gas saw, and b)

Huh, why is that? Same deal with kevlar pants?

edit: this video sort of implies otherwise... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uZQZBALVTc

Cabbages and Kings fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 12, 2018

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

From what I recall from prior chainsaw conversations, the main differences between gas and electric saws are a) electric saws will happily chew through teflon chaps and other safety gear that will stop a gas saw, and b) they aren't as good for sustained power like you'd need for serious felling. For taking down small trees they should be fine.

You still need to oil electric chainsaws, note, and the oil runs low faster than you might think.

I can't imagine hoping to use a saw for more than 15 or 20 minutes a day and expecting anything from an electric saw unless you're just limbing up tiny trees. I would be so frustrated the moment it started bogging down from low battery. Electric chainsaws have more torque than gas saws so you shouldn't expect your chaps to protect you . The only pros in my opinion are: if you aren't tuning your saws you may get frustrated with a gas saw not starting, electric saws are lighter

I guess if you really can't use a combination of ear plugs+head set and you're cutting trees down that are so small you aren't putting face cuts in then gently caress it go for it,. Don't skip out on PPE because your electric saw feels safer

I just picked up farm boss and its pretty fun. I miss my 460, I realllly miss using a 660

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 12, 2018

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I can't imagine hoping to use a saw for more than 15 or 20 minutes a day and expecting anything from an electric saw unless you're just limbing up tiny trees. I would be so frustrated the moment it started bogging down from low battery.

that's disheartening. Maybe I should just borrow a gas saw from a neighbor and see if I can handle the noise.

Makita has a demo video of that saw linked above where they made 52 cuts through 150mm pine on a charge; that's not terrible but it's obviously not great. On the other hand, I probably only have about 200 cuts to make this year, just need to chunk stuff up into pieces I can move with an ATV cart and then toss through a splitter.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

One more question for the day.

I need to deal with this, one way or another:

This is broken off about 8' in the air, and obstructing a trail. The easy thing to do would be to yank it down with a tractor, but I don't have a tractor, and because of where this is located, getting a tractor up to it is going to be a bear even if I can find someone who wants to mess with it.

I need to get a high-load chain comealong for other reasons (barn straightening & re-posting issue). I'm wondering if it's reasonable to just toss a chain over the busted part, chain it to the base of some study trees ~15' away, and then just tighten it down until it comes crashing down. The sketchy part would likely just be getting the chain hooked over it well; once that's done, I can be standing far enough away that I'm not worried about it killing me.

Good idea? Bad idea? Any other obvious solutions I'm overlooking?

This is a softwood so it's not going to be amazing firewood, except I've also been making syrup and this is probably enough wood for half of my operation next year, if I can get it onto the ground and sliced up. (This one is bigger than the stuff I want to hack up myself, so one way or another I'm going to hire someone, but if it's already on the ground when I do that, it's going to be a much cheaper and easier proposition).

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Tim Raines IRL posted:

that's disheartening. Maybe I should just borrow a gas saw from a neighbor and see if I can handle the noise.

Makita has a demo video of that saw linked above where they made 52 cuts through 150mm pine on a charge; that's not terrible but it's obviously not great. On the other hand, I probably only have about 200 cuts to make this year, just need to chunk stuff up into pieces I can move with an ATV cart and then toss through a splitter.

for sure borrow one if you can, get earplugs AND a headset and see if it helps. 52 6"cuts to completely dead makes me think its cutting poorly around 40 and that is not very long :/ sorry to be a downer

Tim Raines IRL posted:

One more question for the day.

I need to deal with this, one way or another:

This is broken off about 8' in the air, and obstructing a trail. The easy thing to do would be to yank it down with a tractor, but I don't have a tractor, and because of where this is located, getting a tractor up to it is going to be a bear even if I can find someone who wants to mess with it.

I need to get a high-load chain comealong for other reasons (barn straightening & re-posting issue). I'm wondering if it's reasonable to just toss a chain over the busted part, chain it to the base of some study trees ~15' away, and then just tighten it down until it comes crashing down. The sketchy part would likely just be getting the chain hooked over it well; once that's done, I can be standing far enough away that I'm not worried about it killing me.

Good idea? Bad idea? Any other obvious solutions I'm overlooking?

This is a softwood so it's not going to be amazing firewood, except I've also been making syrup and this is probably enough wood for half of my operation next year, if I can get it onto the ground and sliced up. (This one is bigger than the stuff I want to hack up myself, so one way or another I'm going to hire someone, but if it's already on the ground when I do that, it's going to be a much cheaper and easier proposition).

if you aren't comfortable with this/don't have a saw don't do any of this but if you are then just start working your way up from the right side of it taking off chunks of it until you're comfortable with taking it down. Super simple.

Limb it up first while its in the air because it will be easier than when its on the ground but more importantly if a round rolls funny when falling it won't smash you in the head with a branch. Don't twist the saw and throw your chain while doing this. Always have an escape route in mind

I would not try and force anything down with a comealong alone, that seems dangerous but I've only used them a handful of times bringing down trees near a structure

I'm so jealous of your syrup collecting I wish I could do that but gently caress the cold weather required for it

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 12, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So what's everyone like for battery powered yard equipment, specifically leaf blowers? I've got a 11-year-old plug in Toro that's started vibrating. Not sure if the impeller is cracked but the bearings are definitely noisy so I'm probably not going to repair it.

I've got Milwaukee M18 tools but their blower is way too small for my liking.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I have no input but it made me think about my mom getting a leaf blower because the neighbor got one and she hates how loud it is... so she got one. I like to think there are mini leaf blower arms races going on across suburbia

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I did forget that Milwaukee has a bigger battery powered blower now, and looks like Home Depot has it for $150 along with a 5.0aH battery. All of my M18 batteries are compact so that'd be a nice addition.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
I can say that the battery powered blower is pretty useful for random stuff. Clearing out garage, blowing stuff off. The most use it gets, as dumb as it sounds, is when I have the backpack blower on, my kids and their friends will spend hours passing the thing back and forth “helping.” It’s like the perfect size.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I totally understand but I don't know if I'd ever get over thinking about where all my mess went and feeling weird about it. Now ideally if I was able to get property where I don't have neighbors...

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

I did forget that Milwaukee has a bigger battery powered blower now, and looks like Home Depot has it for $150 along with a 5.0aH battery. All of my M18 batteries are compact so that'd be a nice addition.

They also have the string trimmer + blower combo with a 9.0Ah battery for 300 right now. The 5.0Ah will only run the blower for like 10 minutes.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Where the mess went? I blow it all into my concrete driveway and shovel it into the trash. I've got a tree out front that dumps teeny little unrakeable leaves into my gravel a few times a year so a blower is literally the only choice.

Looking around a bit more, that Milwaukee is a screaming deal. Everything else at or below it in cost either doesn't have a battery at all, or has a dinky 2.0aH battery. Red team, take more of my money!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

lwoodio posted:

They also have the string trimmer + blower combo with a 9.0Ah battery for 300 right now. The 5.0Ah will only run the blower for like 10 minutes.

Hm. I don't need a string trimmer right now since my gas one still works (... last time I tried) but that's tempting. Looks like I could sell the trimmer and be at the same price with the 9.0 instead of the 5.0.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Where the mess went? I blow it all into my concrete driveway and shovel it into the trash. I've got a tree out front that dumps teeny little unrakeable leaves into my gravel a few times a year so a blower is literally the only choice.

Looking around a bit more, that Milwaukee is a screaming deal. Everything else at or below it in cost either doesn't have a battery at all, or has a dinky 2.0aH battery. Red team, take more of my money!

People around here just blow their poo poo out into their neighbors property :3

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

People around here just blow their poo poo out into their neighbors property :3

Is Rand Paul your neighbor?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

IOwnCalculus posted:

So what's everyone like for battery powered yard equipment, specifically leaf blowers? I've got a 11-year-old plug in Toro that's started vibrating. Not sure if the impeller is cracked but the bearings are definitely noisy so I'm probably not going to repair it.

I've got Milwaukee M18 tools but their blower is way too small for my liking.

Ego

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

for sure borrow one if you can, get earplugs AND a headset and see if it helps. 52 6"cuts to completely dead makes me think its cutting poorly around 40 and that is not very long :/ sorry to be a downer
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Lithium Ions don't tend to peter out like nicads. Unless something's gone wrong, it should operate at 100% until it's dead.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Last weekend, I bought a DeWalt 7491RS from Home Depot for $579

Today, that price is $499 on amazon

Which means poo poo for me since I’d have to run circles around town and hope I still have my Home Depot receipt

But hey if you want a pretty badass saw for $450, Lowe’s will price match Amazon and knock another 10% off

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

If you used a credit card, you don't need your receipt.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Bad Munki posted:

He sawed it in half with his super powerful chainsaw. Break the habit!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Sockser posted:

Last weekend, I bought a DeWalt 7491RS from Home Depot for $579

Today, that price is $499 on amazon

Which means poo poo for me since I’d have to run circles around town and hope I still have my Home Depot receipt

But hey if you want a pretty badass saw for $450, Lowe’s will price match Amazon and knock another 10% off

gently caress. I wish they sold Milwaukee tools.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Slugworth posted:

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Lithium Ions don't tend to peter out like nicads. Unless something's gone wrong, it should operate at 100% until it's dead.

Interesting, but also more dangerous than slowly dying because if you're halfway through a face cut and it dies you are in a real awkward spot

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Still gonna require me going to Lowe’s to buy the same saw and then lugging that fucker to Home Depot and try to return it and hope they’re cool

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Re: Chainsaw chat, why not just have two batteries..?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Hubis posted:

Re: Chainsaw chat, why not just have two batteries..?

seems like a good solution

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Is the Makita 36V mower a good idea? I have an M12 drill and driver, and inherited a Makita 18v drill, impact driver (not brushless) fleshlight, and sawzall. To some extent, I really want to try to take the Makita kit to a pawnshop someday to try to sell it for enough to offset the cost of a new M18 drill/driver, or a pawnshop M18 drill/driver (a pawn shop M18 just sounds like trouble). The main reason I haven't done so yet is I'm skeptical a pawn shop will give me enough, and I feel like it would be rude to the individual who gave me the kit, but I really would like to have all Milwaukee so I could just have one charger that does both 18 and 12 volt. . . and I like Milwaukee 'Mericun Red more than Makita.

I have a fairly old lawn mower that is a cock roach that just won't die, but I think an electric mower would be cool for not having to mess with gas (I hate the California spout on my jerry can), no spark plugs or oil changes (I have not changed the oil on this thing in 4 years. . . I want it to die. . .). The mower is nothing special, a Craftsman with a 6hp Briggs and a single speed drive which was slow enough for my Mother in law to use even after her knee replacement. As soon as thing refuses to start on the first pull, I'm ready to open my wallet to a new electric mower. The Makita might actually convince me to keep my other Makita poo poo, but at the same time I kinda don't want to keep any of my Makita poo poo.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 17, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Crotch Fruit posted:

impact driver (not brushless) fleshlight

goddamn, be careful

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Larrymer posted:

goddamn, be careful

:lol:
Can't blame autocorrect, it doesn't know that word unless you type it.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Hm. I don't need a string trimmer right now since my gas one still works (... last time I tried) but that's tempting. Looks like I could sell the trimmer and be at the same price with the 9.0 instead of the 5.0.

It really is an excellent deal. The trimmer is awesome; way better than I thought it would be. Unless you have a jungle to clear, it will handle basic trimming needs. Anything the reduces my 2-stroke hassles is worth it.

The blower is also great, though don't expect to use it to clear heavy, wet leaves for a large yard. When I had a townhouse, it worked great for dry leaves, but it won't do much for bigger leaves around my larger yard. As uwaeve said, it's super useful as a general blower for cleaning out the garage or blowing grass clippings, etc. I found a new use for it the other weekend for cleaning out my shop-vac filter. The ability to pick it up and quickly blow something off will have you inventing things to use it on.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person

Crotch Fruit posted:

and I like Milwaukee 'Mericun Red more than Makita.

Well, Makita has a large factory in America if that helps, and Willfuckyee is owned by the Chinese (Techtronic Industries) and mostly manufactured in China (Guangdong). But yeah, the red on their tools sure look American

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Rnr posted:

Well, Makita has a large factory in America if that helps, and Willfuckyee is owned by the Chinese (Techtronic Industries) and mostly manufactured in China (Guangdong). But yeah, the red on their tools sure look American

They play it up in the marketing too. Kinda disingenuous, if you ask me. DeWalt does it too. MADE IN AMERICA with imported components

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

sharkytm posted:

They play it up in the marketing too. Kinda disingenuous, if you ask me. DeWalt does it too. MADE IN AMERICA with imported components
100% agree with this. Makita is still a Japanese based company, Milwaukee is at least named after an American town famous for beer. I sorta want DeWalt simply because every contractor who has ever come to my house has a DeWalt drill, but I don't like school bus yellow and MADE IN AMERICA not really. I also dislike the form factor for DeWalt's 12v Li-Ion batteries and their 18v 20V MAX POWUH advertising.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

DeWalt stuff is nice but I really just kinda hate their drills. Always have. Feel super clunky and anecdotally, have always had battery problems between my dads old NiCad ones and his newer Lithium ones and all the ones at my hackerspace are always making GBS threads the bed after like an hour
Also the yellow is totally very loving ugly

I have a Bosch drill that’s easily the best loving drill I’ve ever held but it’s so inconvenient to buy more Bosch stuff in the states

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Crotch Fruit posted:

DeWalt's 12v Li-Ion batteries and their 18v 20V MAX POWUH advertising.

Don't forget about their 40v/60v bullshit marketing wank. It really just means cheaper components and wiring, not more usable power.

In my perfect world, tool batteries would have to list:
- Total Watt Hours (most do this)
- Manufacturer and number of lithium cells
- Individual mAh rating of cells

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

B-Nasty posted:

Don't forget about their 40v/60v bullshit marketing wank. It really just means cheaper components and wiring, not more usable power.

In my perfect world, tool batteries would have to list:
- Total Watt Hours (most do this)
- Manufacturer and number of lithium cells
- Individual mAh rating of cells

$250 DeWalt 60V MAX POWUH weed eater. My weed eater is a $70 Black & Decker 20V with a 4ah battery, it works great! If I set it to high power, the battery barely lasts long enough to trim the whole house, but on low power I can do all my edging 2 or 3 times between charges, use low power for everything unless high power is necessary and the thing works great. It's even better that I don't have to mix oil into 2 stroke gas and futz around with trying to get a weed eater to start, I have never had a weed eater that wasn't a pain in the rear end to start.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Speaking of DeWalt, if someone needs a drill/driver, the brushless set at Amazon is at all all-time low AND includes an impact-rated bit set.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

drat, even cheaper than just the drill + 2battery set I bought a while ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Speaking of cordless sets. Anyone have any thoughts on this Ryobi combo?

Ryobi Drill and Driver Combo

Set was on sale at Home Depot today and I was thinking of picking it up for the odd jobs I need for around the house. $88 CAD seems pretty reasonable to me but I dont really know.