Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Geoj posted:

Job chat: just verbally accepted a systems admin position with a startup metal fabrication company.

Its going to mean an immediate 20% raise ($42,500 to $52,000/annually), 50% decrease in daily commute and most importantly, a substantial bump in title. This will be the first meaningful raise to my base pay that I've had since 2010.

Going to be working with another admin from the parent company in Detroit for the first six months, then after that I'll be running all things IT with guidance/direction from the home office. I'm still in the "pinch me, I'm dreaming" phase - currently working tech support for a small industrial printer company that could best be described as a struggling business in a dying industry. I've read the writing on the wall here and assuming the place doesn't go under in the next year or two it'll just be more of the same "raises aren't in the budget this year" bullshit I've been putting up with since 2010.

Congrats dude! That's exciting news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

trouser chili posted:

Galvanized blows. I love copper and sweat fittings. Quarter turn ball valves for shutoffs are the way to go as well. Haven't played with PEX but it seems pretty easy, especially in retrofits. I got one more leak to chase/repair, then a crack in the foundation to epoxy, then a kitchen floor to tear up, then a bathroom to gut, and a deck to repair and restain. I'm paying for someone else to do paint/drywall repairs, new carpets, wood floor refinishing, new countertop in kitchen, new floor in kitchen.

I am learning very quickly how much galvanized sucks. loving connection will not stop leaking. Granted I probably need to pickup a pipe wrench(how the gently caress don't I have one?) and tighten down more than I was able to do with a pair of channel locks.

Of course all this started with replacing the single pane windows in our soon to be nursery, which quickly transformed into gutting it down to the studs and we might as well do a basic refresh on the bathroom while were at it....

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
If you go with pex, make sure you either use the full plastic stuff that has the expansion tool for the crimps, or use the ring crimps (typically copper) and not the gear-clampish ones with the nub (typically stainless steel). My basment flooded this winter because of a stainless steel ring clamp failure where the crimp nub opened up and released tension on the crimp, that was rectified by just using copper ring crimps instead. Basically if the crimping tool doesn't look like a space gun or a really big pair of old-style coax crimpers (but with round holes instead of hexes), and instead looks a bit like end nippers, don't use them.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Fermented Tinal posted:

If you go with pex, make sure you either use the full plastic stuff that has the expansion tool for the crimps, or use the ring crimps (typically copper) and not the gear-clampish ones with the nub (typically stainless steel). My basment flooded this winter because of a stainless steel ring clamp failure where the crimp nub opened up and released tension on the crimp, that was rectified by just using copper ring crimps instead. Basically if the crimping tool doesn't look like a space gun or a really big pair of old-style coax crimpers (but with round holes instead of hexes), and instead looks a bit like end nippers, don't use them.

I thought the way to do PEX was with the new robo-tools that expand the tubing and let it contract around the barbed fittings?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Seminal Flu posted:

I thought the way to do PEX was with the new robo-tools that expand the tubing and let it contract around the barbed fittings?

Read the first sentence. That's expensive though, and the tools are crazy not-cheap. You can still get the older style of pex and it's easier to retrofit with that.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Fermented Tinal posted:

Read the first sentence. That's expensive though, and the tools are crazy not-cheap. You can still get the older style of pex and it's easier to retrofit with that.

We're looking at different things. From what I've seen, there's a crimpless/clampless fitting type that expands the tubing and it re-shrinks over a barb. Seems to be the best way to PEX.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
The copper ring crimps are thick solid rings and don't use any teeth or a nub. Crimping tool compresses them all the way around and basically they get swaged on. The gear-clampish ones have a nub that the nipper-like crimping tool grabs onto and compresses to tighten the toothed ring and they're much more easily removed, all that needs to happen is for the nub to be deformed enough to release the clamping force. You can think of one style as what a contractor would use (before the new stuff came out) and the other style as what a DIYer who wants to save some money on crimps and tooling would use.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

I am hoping to not gently caress with this plumbing, since the bathroom is getting gutted along with the rest of the main floor(minus the nursery) in a year or so for the big remodel. I am just trying to make the bathroom suck less in the short term, and the new sink actually makes a big difference in making it was less cramped.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The trick is to treat the job as if you were doing it professionally.

So get drunk before you start, and you're not allowed to use any materials/tools you don't already have on hand.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

slurry_curry posted:

I am hoping to not gently caress with this plumbing, since the bathroom is getting gutted along with the rest of the main floor(minus the nursery) in a year or so for the big remodel. I am just trying to make the bathroom suck less in the short term, and the new sink actually makes a big difference in making it was less cramped.

Did you use pipe dope or tape?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Our Uk/Euro pex sounds a lot easier than your US stuff. With ours you just cut the pipe, push an insert into the end and then push it into the fittings which then hand tighten. You can use olives and compression fittings on it too if you like with the same inserts :)

I need to get some 3metre long lengths of worktop home from the shop about 6 miles away and a fiat panda is currently my only road legal vehicle. Am I wrong to be considering removing the passenger seat in order to attempt this? (If I pay them to deliver it takes 2-3 weeks)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

I need to get some 3metre long lengths of worktop home from the shop about 6 miles away and a fiat panda is currently my only road legal vehicle. Am I wrong to be considering removing the passenger seat in order to attempt this? (If I pay them to deliver it takes 2-3 weeks)
Bitch, please. Hang that poo poo out the back with a knackered hi-vis jacket taped on the end of it.

If more than half the length is in, it's a decent Friday night perfectly safe.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Fermented Tinal posted:

Did you use pipe dope or tape?

Yup, used teflon tape. Possibly too much? I don't know if thats possible, but I was pretty pissed by the time I got the new pipe last night, so I am probably going to go take it all apart and put it back together, just to make sure I didn't gently caress anything up in my haste. Maybe I wrapped it on counter clockwise? Again, no idea if that would really matter.

I don't know what "pipe dope" is, but it sounds like something my mom would call weed.

InitialDave posted:

The trick is to treat the job as if you were doing it professionally.

So get drunk before you start, and you're not allowed to use any materials/tools you don't already have on hand.

poo poo, I got it half right. I tried my hardest to re-use what I had, but I gave in and went to the hardware stores. I will do my best to do the work properly tonight.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

InitialDave posted:

Australian legislation dot text.
Seriously, after reading some of the poo poo that US goons have to deal with in regards to their properties, especially from residential groups or whatever they are called, Australians seriously don't give a gently caress what you do with your property, except in either extreme cases or some small groups of units which have a body corp.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Tomarse posted:

Duct tape it vertically to the rear and pretend it's a dodgem car.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
We're spiteful, though. We have no problem registering a broken down vehicle and further disassembling it into a pile just to piss off uppity neighbors.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

You Am I posted:

Seriously, after reading some of the poo poo that US goons have to deal with in regards to their properties, especially from residential groups or whatever they are called, Australians seriously don't give a gently caress what you do with your property, except in either extreme cases or some small groups of units which have a body corp.
The thing with Australia is that, as a nation, it seems like it likes to promote the "yeah, she'll be right" easy-going attitude, which is at odds with the almost German "you will do as you are told" approach to legislation that seems to be somewhat pervasive. The chilled-out zeitgeist seems to break on a shore of actually being quite uptight.

Now, South Africans, those bastards are laid back to the point of being dangerous to themselves. I've met a few over the years, and it's like someone installed reefer.wad at birth.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

slurry_curry posted:

Yup, used teflon tape. Possibly too much? I don't know if thats possible, but I was pretty pissed by the time I got the new pipe last night, so I am probably going to go take it all apart and put it back together, just to make sure I didn't gently caress anything up in my haste. Maybe I wrapped it on counter clockwise? Again, no idea if that would really matter.

I don't know what "pipe dope" is, but it sounds like something my mom would call weed.

It does matter which way you wind Teflon tape - you wind it the same direction your screw the fitting on, so it doesn't unwind as you screw on said fitting.
Pipe dope is basically liquid Teflon tape, or a substitute therefore.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Fermented Tinal posted:

My take is "Anyone but Wynne or an Ontario Liberal who isn't brand new to the game." Given how openly corrupt our Liberals are I can't find myself supporting them until the whole party undergoes a major shakeup. I personally think that McGuinty and Wynne and their cronies owe the province billions of dollars and should be forced to reimburse the province for their shenanigans instead of being able to get away with wrist-slapping someone who was barely involved.

Not saying I'm a Doug supporter, but don't be so quick to judge him poorly. Rob, aside from being known for smoking crack, speaking patois, and causing a ruckus in council, was quite possibly one of Toronto's better mayors, he was a slash machine when it came to council member entitlements and a trufflepig for wastes of taxpayer money. Most of the poo poo slinging in the media didn't start until he took away the council's free TTC passes because they were using them for non-official business. The council hated him for this and many other things he took away from them. Also, as a major departure from being like Trump, or even most conservatives, Doug, much like his late brother was, is immigrant friendly.

As for Horwath, I feel scared for admitting that I kinda hope we end up with an NDP government, despite what happened last time. So far, that's the way I'm leaning, but I could see myself voting for Doug, especially if the only other viable option is Wynne. I am 100% in support of firing everyone who runs HydroOne, for example, but he's gotta say some more progressive poo poo to make my ears pay attention.

Agreed on the libs. And Rob was awesome - Doug, less so (just from what I've seen). The immigrant friendly is good, but frankly, the dude has no plan for Northern Ontario - which none of them really do, but the NDP seem to give a poo poo. But, agreed for Howarth.

Hydro One needs to be brought back to 100% provincially owned, fire the entire management structure, and standardize delivery fees. 1/2 of my bills are "Delivery" - then I go see a friend in Toronto's bill, who uses more power, but pays like $5. Normalizing it over Ontario would likely raise his to $6.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

slurry_curry posted:

poo poo, I got it half right. I tried my hardest to re-use what I had, but I gave in and went to the hardware stores. I will do my best to do the work properly tonight.

Pipe dope is otherwise called thread sealing compound. It comes in a can similar to pvc/abs/rubber cement and will probably have "Pro Dope" somewhere on the can in large easy to read letters.

For iron pipe you want to use it instead of tape, tape gets shredded and doesn't fill the voids as effectively.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Darchangel posted:

It does matter which way you wind Teflon tape - you wind it the same direction your screw the fitting on, so it doesn't unwind as you screw on said fitting.
Pipe dope is basically liquid Teflon tape, or a substitute therefore.

I bet thats what I did. Towards the end of my work yesterday I was just trying to get the leak slowed to the point I could turn the water back on. I guess its time to call it a day for work and go tear into the plumbing again....

*edit* gently caress that, new episode of Roadkill is up. Gonna watch that and get myself mentally prepared to gently caress this all up again.

slurry_curry fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 17, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I fat fingered my daughter's SSN when filing my taxes. I noticed I hadn't gotten my return yet so I looked into why. I never got the email that the feds rejected it. Close call.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Larrymer posted:

I fat fingered my daughter's SSN when filing my taxes. I noticed I hadn't gotten my return yet so I looked into why. I never got the email that the feds rejected it. Close call.

Something is going on with my state taxes this year. I got my federal refund but my state has been under review since February. I use a local accounting firm so its on them, I just need to follow up. Refund is so small that I don’t really care.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Siochain posted:

Agreed on the libs. And Rob was awesome - Doug, less so (just from what I've seen). The immigrant friendly is good, but frankly, the dude has no plan for Northern Ontario - which none of them really do, but the NDP seem to give a poo poo. But, agreed for Howarth.

Hydro One needs to be brought back to 100% provincially owned, fire the entire management structure, and standardize delivery fees. 1/2 of my bills are "Delivery" - then I go see a friend in Toronto's bill, who uses more power, but pays like $5. Normalizing it over Ontario would likely raise his to $6.

New management for Hydro One also needs a reasonable wage cap. I'm thinking $15/h.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Just redid my taxes with itemizing. Dodged a bullet on that one. Last year I was using my unemployed income so my state income taxes were really low and itemizing was less than the standard deduction (my mortgage is really good so the interest is low). Turns out itemizing is still the way to go when I'm employed all year. Almost fooled myself into overpaying $750. So that helps.

Situation still annoying but significantly better.

angryrobots posted:

If you're definitely not gonna use the furnace, turn off it's gas supply. No sense in testing what may be a 24yo control valve if the unit isn't in use.

Good call, thanks. Or is the irony that by turning the valve for the first time in 24 years that I asplode my house?

Geoj posted:

Job chat: just verbally accepted a systems admin position with a startup metal fabrication company.

Its going to mean an immediate 20% raise ($42,500 to $52,000/annually), 50% decrease in daily commute and most importantly, a substantial bump in title. This will be the first meaningful raise to my base pay that I've had since 2010.

Going to be working with another admin from the parent company in Detroit for the first six months, then after that I'll be running all things IT with guidance/direction from the home office. I'm still in the "pinch me, I'm dreaming" phase - currently working tech support for a small industrial printer company that could best be described as a struggling business in a dying industry. I've read the writing on the wall here and assuming the place doesn't go under in the next year or two it'll just be more of the same "raises aren't in the budget this year" bullshit I've been putting up with since 2010.

Good for you! That $800 a month plus gas can really make a difference in savings and lifestyle. Never mind how much less time you spend in the car. Think about it, that's one beater Honda civic per month! Or one questionable motorcycle! Or 8 mediocre hookers!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

LloydDobler posted:

Good for you! That $800 a month plus gas can really make a difference in savings and lifestyle. Never mind how much less time you spend in the car. Think about it, that's one beater Honda civic per month! Or one questionable motorcycle! Or 8 mediocre hookers!

The tax man will take a huge chunk of that but you’ll probably clear another $500/month. That’s awesome! Good for you!

Real grown up talk: live like you currently do, don’t increase your lifestyle. Pay off any debts with your new found monies if you have any debts. Then build a pad of cash if you don’t have one.

THEN make irresponsible automotive decisions.

When we found ourselves in a higher income situation we stuck to our budget and it has been life changing. Free yourself from debt because after you climb that mountain there is nothing worth getting back into the hellpit that is debt and monthly payments.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

looks like random jocks aren't the only ones who miss the message of Full Metal Jacket

https://twitter.com/USMC/status/986031495054811136

yes, truly an inspirational figure, in a film that makes the Marine Corps look good

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Enourmo posted:

looks like random jocks aren't the only ones who miss the message of Full Metal Jacket

yes, truly an inspirational figure, in a film that makes the Marine Corps look good

Just like when you pass a Republican political rally where they play "Born in the USA" by Springsteen. :patriot:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Looks like the local constabulary has jumped on the electric propulsion bandwagon.

I will try and get video of this thing in action at the local drag strip this summer.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
So I was just on a southwest airlines flight.
The dude next to me refused to put his tray table down before take off and we had to return to the gate to kick him off. Fun times.
This was after a 30min airport shutdown for lightning (at smf, which is really uncommon).

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

nm posted:

The dude next to me refused to put his tray table down before take off and we had to return to the gate to kick him off. Fun times.
This was after a 30min airport shutdown for lightning (at smf, which is really uncommon).

Last year, I had some guy who refused to stop talking on his cellphone until the pilot told him on the PA to shut it.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Fixed the other bathroom leak, replaced the MOEN cartridge in the shower faucet.

Then the oven poo poo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just get a cheap one on CL, problem solved.

I get it tho, poo poo always happens in bunches it seems, would be nice if somebody could spread it out evenly every fiscal year or some poo poo.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

nm posted:

LOL I marvel at this. Like don't you have somewhere to go? As if the tray table is the important part of the flight? Not the, I don't know, flying someplace?

It's like the assholes that road rage all over you because they're in a huge hurry, but then when you flip them the bird they have time to pull over and fight.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
As the passenger beside them, you should get the option to karate chop them in the throat to better speed things along.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

LloydDobler posted:

LOL I marvel at this. Like don't you have somewhere to go? As if the tray table is the important part of the flight? Not the, I don't know, flying someplace?

It's like the assholes that road rage all over you because they're in a huge hurry, but then when you flip them the bird they have time to pull over and fight.
I gave the FA my info in case the dude tried to gently caress with them after to claim it was a united drags passenger type thing.
Dude was grumpy already, full flight, he boarded last (said something was wrong with his boarding pass), and had to sit between two tall, broad shouldered dudes (window seat was a firefighter). He just decided to take it out on the fa.
This was a 1 hour flight ffs.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Enourmo posted:

https://twitter.com/Cormac_McCafe/status/986060563548483584?s=19

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

We're looking at different things. From what I've seen, there's a crimpless/clampless fitting type that expands the tubing and it re-shrinks over a barb. Seems to be the best way to PEX.

There are manual PEX expander tools, but they are difficult to use, and comparable in price to the crimp type that use copper rings. The crimp tools are proven and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that style fitting. If a crimp fails, the tool was out of adjustment. There's a reason the tool comes with an OK/NOT OK crimp ring gauge.

Battery powered PEX expanders are priced right out of range for a non-pro.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

spog posted:

They almost certainly didn't understand it and enjoyed it at the most superficial level.

You will enjoy watching it, but I guarantee you won't cheer.

This. It is a visceral movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Tomarse posted:

This felt dangerous and left me nervous about poor visibility when I did it with a Volvo wagon with a spotter calling out hazards approaching from the passenger side, I wouldn't be happy trying it in anything smaller. Do you have roof bars?

• Locked thread