Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

hot take: everyone deserves to be rich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Well, that's the thing; a lot of liberals will openly acknowledge that society isn't a meritocracy, but then also claim that some people deserve to be wealthy. At least the conservatives/libertarians who think it's already a meritocracy are logically coherent, but liberals try to simultaneously acknowledge the unfairness inherent to society while also believing some people are deserving of their financial success.

Yeah, I think this is it; they think that the rich people they like would still be rich even after you fixed the problems that they think are making society unfair. Then again, the same liberals will sometimes comment how "no person needs billions of dollars" and then turn around and talk about Bill Gates being a "good billionaire," so I think it's mostly that they just have the memory of a goldfish and no coherent ideology.

they fundamentally believe that a meritocracy is not only attainable, but both good and desirable. they idealize the idea of a meritocratic market economy where people who work hard and contribute well are better off. they're fine with a fair amount of inequality, as long as the inequality is for a "good reason"

they may quibble about the details and the execution, but they basically believe that our current system is essentially good and merely needs to be improved rather than changed. same with capitalism. that's why they're focusing their rhetoric on breaking up monopolies and combating corruption: they believe that market capitalism is the best system, and merely needs to be tweaked to take out the factors that are skewing it and causing it to work improperly

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Tunicate posted:

if everyone is rich, then no one is :shepspends:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Tunicate posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzRmAEE7Kfk

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Teal posted:

I dunno if I'm being wishful and delusional but post-trump there seems to be a slowly growing genuine surge in far left thought. While this guy is undeniably pathetic I think there's also an uptick of "hold on guys realize we DESERVE to be rich, get it? Right?" as the general consciousness slowly realizes that a left wing uprising isn't as completely unthinkable as it was ten years ago.

speaking of a rejuvenized left

The Nastier Nate posted:

This is fair for really cool rich people like Dolly Parton and uhhh...Bernie Sanders who owns 3 HOUSES!

Ytlaya posted:

they think that the rich people they like would still be rich even after you fixed the problems that they think are making society unfair.

in all fairness the 'meritocratic' way of thinking I described had some nuance similar to the summary above. But I don't think we really dug into it deeply, most of it was easy reassurance that it's ok, that you earned getting an academic degree on a government stipend/zero interest loan/mum and dads money, not having to work very hard, suffer prejudice, that you're living with a few friends for next to no rent in a sweet apartment that used to be someone's grandparents' pied a terre, etc. How much ancestry and luck instead of hard work had influenced this dawned on me way later than I care to admit. Outside of that, I thought the idea of a meritocracy had kind of gone out of fashion a while back actually

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

🎶🎵i want to kill every rich person i see

from bourgeois-a to bourgeoisie🎵🎶

which b-side of the sex pistols is this from? It's good, if you made it up yourself it's too good not to write a two-chord punk anthem off of

Old Binsby has issued a correction as of 00:09 on Apr 15, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

^^ to the tune of Rock Me Dr. Zaius

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy6CFTMnYa4

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tunicate posted:

Whoa, wait a second! Have you even thought about how that white coat investor guy would feel is this were the case? It would be like other people had just as much merit as him, and that would be an unthinkable injustice.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i love you dr zaius

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Mage: the Awakening posted:

Change Your Perspective

When you woke up today you were a
little tired, maybe a bit hungry. Maybe you
checked your mail and fretted over bills. Outside
it might be a bit too hot, or cold. Maybe
you have a headache right now, or you’re
contemplating the fact that you weigh a bit
too much, or too little. But that’s living, right?

Wrong. It’s the Lie.

To the Silver Ladder, each and every one of
these discomforts is a crime, imposed by the
Exarchs when they denied Supernal privileges
to the rest of humanity. Your animal pains,
finite wealth, unfulfilled dreams and eventual
death are curses. You deserve to be a god,
and you will, even if the order must set the
heavens aflame to make it so.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
I cast magic missile

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t32WSJyd-NM

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

🎶🎵i want to kill every rich person i see

from bourgeois-a to bourgeoisie🎵🎶

Grognan posted:

ok, this got a laugh from me

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Old Binsby posted:

which b-side of the sex pistols is this from? It's good, if you made it up yourself it's too good not to write a two-chord punk anthem off of

Here you go.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/985646450074968069?s=20

I’m the soundtrack

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NVOawOXxSA

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Old Binsby posted:

he wouldn’t need to be saying that if everyone else could muster the decency to occasionally thank him for his sacrifice :colbert:

seriously tho, he's a smug oval office about it, but does he have the right? I haven't called him out on it yet

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Krankenstyle posted:

if everyone is rich, then no one is :shepspends:

It's true, the mindset in this country is as long as you're making more than someone else you've at least got someone to piss on. Welders piss on line workers, line workers piss on retail workers, etc.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

thats how every caste system works, it is a problem that economics alone cannot fix

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Vox Nihili posted:

It's true, the mindset in this country is as long as you're making more than someone else you've at least got someone to piss on. Welders piss on line workers, line workers piss on retail workers, etc.

Well, more than that, the entire system wouldn't work if everyone was rich; it requires inequality, and preferably gross inequality, if only because vast amounts of wealth is merely a stand in for social and political power which would be pretty unimpressive if everyone else also had the same access.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

a lot of people are way more easily pacified if they believe they have it better than someone else

bonus points if the someone else isn't white

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

I guess I'm just dumb but are the numbers here equal to the 10%? IE the $145,000 for San Diego is the 10% downpayment on a presumably 1.45 million dollar house? Because even though it's expensive as gently caress to live in say, Los Angeles, the average house price can't possibly >$1m

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

du -hast posted:

I guess I'm just dumb but are the numbers here equal to the 10%? IE the $145,000 for San Diego is the 10% downpayment on a presumably 1.45 million dollar house? Because even though it's expensive as gently caress to live in say, Los Angeles, the average house price can't possibly >$1m

:allears:

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
How the Wealthy Talk to Their Children About Money

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/19/your-money/talking-to-children-about-inheritance.html

quote:

Mr. and Mrs. Weiner are doing something that many affluent people find very difficult to undertake: talking to their heirs about the millions they will have to manage after their parents are gone.

quote:

All participants had a net worth of more than $20 million, and only a tenth of them said they had given complete information about inheritance to their heirs — apparently for fear of dampening their work ethic.

quote:

But he did remember learning about the extent of his family’s wealth in elementary school in San Francisco. “All school kids in San Francisco then were very into the Guinness Book of World Records, and I remember at one point someone pointed out the fact that the du Pont family was the richest family in the world,” he said. “I remember laughing at that, thinking we’re just normal people.”

quote:

Mr. Goss said that his parents, while not forthcoming about exact dollar amounts, told him he would have enough family financial support to pursue whatever career he wanted. And he did, working for 20 years as a curator at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

quote:

She said Mr. Rockefeller told her, “My parents taught me the value of a dollar, whether I was spending it, earning it or giving it away.”

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I love this song a lot.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Imagine thinking 20 years Is a career and not the start of 60+ years it working until you die.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Hey he earned that sinecure.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

du -hast posted:

to be clear

https://twitter.com/ByRosenberg/status/985936398573232128

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

No way, foreign investment is totally great and helps the economy, idk what you're talking about

*buys dilapidated shitshack in Hongcouver for $1.4mil to shelter capital

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Wheeee posted:

No way, foreign investment is totally great and helps the economy, idk what you're talking about

*buys dilapidated shitshack in Hongcouver for $1.4mil to shelter capital

Vacancy Taxes.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

lol taxes

hows aboot gently caress off and and take your money with you

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

the real solution is in the thread title

thatss right, lots and lots of text

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
from awhile ago but still a banger

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

American Psycho was a generous and forgiving biography of this mans 30's

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

literally this guy

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Could have just stopped right here tbh

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

The Nastier Nate posted:

lol i've posted this precise screenshot before, i forget where

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The Nastier Nate posted:

incredible, a spot at the very front of the guillotine queue just opened up for this guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/add/status/985945177389907968