Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!
Over the past few months I've been getting urge to get back into playing the keyboard. I had a sweet-rear end synthesizer back in the day, an Ensoniq EPS (http://www.vintagesynth.com/ensoniq/ens_eps.php) and played in a few bands. Not very well, mind you, but we had fun. We played some gigs, traveled a bit, broke up, got back together, broke up again, played some more gigs, then broke up for good because gently caress drama. Typical band poo poo.

Anyway, after looking at what is on the market right now, I'm completely lost. They keyboards from my generation (DX80, EPS, etc) are a thing of the past. After doing a little research, I'm thinking I should get a decent MIDI front end and some software so I can jam out at home. My traveling days are over, I just want to reminisce a bit and dump out the frustrations of the corporate world on the keys versus going to the bar.

So you young bucks who are "on fleek" or whatever, drop some knowledge on this old fart and point me in the right direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
If you want to go with MIDI for all of your sounds I'd pick up a 88 Key MIDI controller and call it a day. If you want fewer keys or hammer weighted action those are available as well.

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.
The market has changed pretty drastically from the last time you were musically active. Analog is back in force and modular synths are experiencing a massive resurgence and its pretty much a golden era for the format. Meanwhile keyboard hardware samplers like the EPS simply aren't being made anymore unless you count higher end workstation keyboards. If you're dead set on buying new, software coupled with a midi controller is probably your cheapest option. Are you actually wanting to program your own synth patches, are you wanting to sample, or do you just want a box of pre made sounds?

I've got the 61 key version of the controller Kibbles n Shits linked, and I'm happy with it. Plus unlike a lot midi controllers being manufactured these days it actually features a midi output, not just usb, so you could potentially use it to control hardware synths.

Chamuska
Apr 8, 2018

AgreegrA
My group had recently purchased one of these https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JDXi--roland-jd-xi. The JD-XI Sounds great, and has a variety of options and sounds to choose from. Whether its traditional keys, effects, vocals, and analog synth.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

If you have a decent computer, a good DAW and a decent MIDI/Usb controller will get you very far. I would suggest Ableton or Reason for the DAW.

The problem with buying a nice hardware synthesizer is that you will need to buy a bunch of other hardware in order to actually make a full sounding track. If you are not concerned about making full tracks, and just want a synth to play around with, the Korg Minilogue has become a very commonly recommended synth for people just starting a new studio. I own one myself, and although it does not have a full sized keybed, it is a very robust machine for the price. And it's an analogue synth as well.

If you don't want to use a computer but still want full tracks, getting something like an Roland MC-909 and pairing it with a full-sized MIDI keyboard is a good option. I have a MC-808 (that is currently broken :( ) and I love it. But beware that these machines are considered outdated, and they do not have easy workflow. Might be too much for a beginner or someone who is out of the game for a while. And is always there is a risk with buying semi-vintage equipment, you will probably have to do some trouble shooting and repairs.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Chamuska posted:

My group had recently purchased one of these https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JDXi--roland-jd-xi. The JD-XI Sounds great, and has a variety of options and sounds to choose from. Whether its traditional keys, effects, vocals, and analog synth.

This thing has a nightmare ui, but the patches sound pretty cool and I really like the built in effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamuska
Apr 8, 2018

AgreegrA

Salt Fish posted:

This thing has a nightmare ui, but the patches sound pretty cool and I really like the built in effects.

I thought that at first but then I got used to it, just took like a day to figure everything out :

• Locked thread