Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Also I've determined what the best mechs in the game are. It's the Hellbringer, the Mad Cat Mk2, The Piranha and the Annihilator. These four stand above all others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Urbie K-9 is my friend.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

And Tyler Too! posted:

Urbie K-9 is my friend.

I will never get tired of taking commander and issuing "protect this friendly" orders on urbies the entire match.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Axetrain posted:

Also I've determined what the best mechs in the game are. It's the Hellbringer, the Mad Cat Mk2, The Piranha and the Annihilator. These four stand above all others.

I used my 1 day of premium time to fully skill the Mad Cat MkII from the OP from start to finish and went from broke-rear end (having just bought it) to 12 million c-bills richer between the premium bonus and the event :getin:

However I'm discovering that quick play pubs really love to abandon the assault lance, especially in the canyon network

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
We’ve had a ton of new guys on Living Legends lately, if any of you want to come play some ‘Mech Battlefield 3082 and complain about bullshit Word of Blake omnifighters while crashing once an hour please join in! It’s a very different game, where you rank up and use currency to buy new assets within the match, and there’s no persistent leveling or mechlab. The classic Timber Wolf Prime is even good! Come give it a spin!

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

General Battuta posted:

We’ve had a ton of new guys on Living Legends lately....

SO WHY ARE YOU HERE POACHING OUR NEW GUYS~!!!>?

:allbuttons:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I assume this game has a peak daily player population some orders of magnitude higher than 40 :v:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Herb Dington posted:

SO WHY ARE YOU HERE POACHING OUR NEW GUYS~!!!>?

:allbuttons:

it is a better game op

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh

General Battuta posted:

I assume this game has a peak daily player population some orders of magnitude higher than 40 :v:

Solo queue join times are fast. You’ll see the same names over and over but it’s perfectly healthy.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Bobcats posted:

Solo queue join times are fast. You’ll see the same names over and over but it’s perfectly healthy.

Hey, did you hear that whooshing sound?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Since my last windows and driver updates, MWO's begun crashing during loads if I'm alt-tabbed.

It is pissing me off.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Watched a bit of the twitch stream for solaris.

Here is your highlight.

https://clips.twitch.tv/BeautifulAnimatedOrangeDogFace

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

General Battuta posted:

We’ve had a ton of new guys on Living Legends lately, if any of you want to come play some ‘Mech Battlefield 3082 and complain about bullshit Word of Blake omnifighters while crashing once an hour please join in! It’s a very different game, where you rank up and use currency to buy new assets within the match, and there’s no persistent leveling or mechlab. The classic Timber Wolf Prime is even good! Come give it a spin!

Great, now we've got robot jehovah's witnesses.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Third World Reggin posted:

Watched a bit of the twitch stream for solaris.

Here is your highlight.

https://clips.twitch.tv/BeautifulAnimatedOrangeDogFace

Seems like you need some more information to find this funny. Did RJBass bring LRMs previously or what?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Axetrain posted:

Buy these mechs.

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

General Battuta posted:

I'm always down to play that. Has there been another update lately?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
I'm just getting back into this game, and have no idea what I'm doing anymore. I think I mostly have a handle on skills -- they seem to have given me a big pool of points for my old masteries and/or modules, which is nice.

But my robots are all old fits. I threw together the Bushwhacker, Cheetah, and Hellbringer in the OP, but I have a bunch of old mechs in 3050 tech, most of them in triplicate. Some advice on which weapons are solid in each category would be useful for outfitting things myself. The addition of heavy/light/rotary guns is a lot to take in for just jumping back into the game.

Alternately, I'm mostly looking for advice for Sparky or Top Dog, as those are OP-approved heroes I have. (:rip: all those old mechs. I'm not surprised there's power creep in a F2P game, but it is a little disappointing.)

Also, is there any reason at all to have duplicate omnis? I've got a trio of Stormcrows just sitting around because I never mastered them.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Sparky is good. 2 HPPCs. JJs.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
Sparky: Dual Heavy PPC poptart
Top Dog: 3LL+4ERML Laser vomit

Tthat's what I have on mine based on group suggestions. Both work OK, though I am still bad at poptarting and the Top Dog is just a worse hellbringer. :shrug:

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
If I'm considering buying one of the hero mechs listed as worthwhile in the OP, should I wait for a sale just in case? How often do sales even happen? Will I know in advance? aaaa

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sales are pretty frequent, and I'd wait for one. Owning a hero is mostly about the 30% C-bill bonus and the ability to unlock some unique builds, but aside from the Deathstrike, Sleipnir, and K-9 none are noticeably more powerful than other variants for that mech/weight class.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqtebt0DBOo

There's another video of this with a nasaly IGN man spewing words over the top if you prefer that, and there are two insipid trailers that suck about Solaris if you like those things too.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Skippy McPants posted:

Sales are pretty frequent, and I'd wait for one. Owning a hero is mostly about the 30% C-bill bonus and the ability to unlock some unique builds, but aside from the Deathstrike, Sleipnir, and K-9 none are noticeably more powerful than other variants for that mech/weight class.

Cool, thanks. I was actually looking at the Sleipnir as I've always loved the Cyclops design but I'm not able to tell whether a given mech variant is good or bad [in this game].

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It's a good mech. It's been slightly overshadowed by the Anni's insane armor quirks, but it has incredible mobility for its tonnage and is a very capable 4xUAC5 or 2xHeavy Gauss platform.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

peer posted:

Cool, thanks. I was actually looking at the Sleipnir as I've always loved the Cyclops design but I'm not able to tell whether a given mech variant is good or bad [in this game].

I've been playing the CP-S with 4xUAC/5's all month and it's rare that I have a sub-700 damage game, it's really really really good.

aniviron posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqtebt0DBOo

There's another video of this with a nasaly IGN man spewing words over the top if you prefer that, and there are two insipid trailers that suck about Solaris if you like those things too.

I do not understand PGI here. The gameplay looks like rear end. Who thinks it looks fun to poo poo all over tanks, helicopters and turrets with a mech? Firing lasers that look less intense than the laser pointer I have on my desk and what I can only assume is a AC/0.5. SAD!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

TjyvTompa posted:

I've been playing the CP-S with 4xUAC/5's all month and it's rare that I have a sub-700 damage game, it's really really really good.

You know what else rarely gets a sub-700 damage game? Standard-rear end Catapult.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Dramicus posted:

You know what else rarely gets a sub-700 damage game? Standard-rear end Catapult.

Ok. I'm sorry guys, the CP-S is NOT a good mech, as you can see it is outclassed by the standard-rear end Catapult. Do not buy!

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

ImpactVector posted:

Also, is there any reason at all to have duplicate omnis? I've got a trio of Stormcrows just sitting around because I never mastered them.

Save time in the mechbay, basically. You can build each mech around a specific play style. So you could have a God Hand Stormcrow, and a Streak Crow on hand. I have a 10 ML Nova, a triple AMS Nova, and a Micro Pulse + MG nova all ready to go for whatever I feel like doing. I haven't checked lately, but some clan mechs might still have a unique quirks assigned to the CT, like how some bonuses are attached to limbs. You also never know when a mech will get a quirk pass, so I tend to discourage selling mechs unless you absolutely need the mechbay.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

The Repo Man posted:

Save time in the mechbay, basically. You can build each mech around a specific play style. So you could have a God Hand Stormcrow, and a Streak Crow on hand. I have a 10 ML Nova, a triple AMS Nova, and a Micro Pulse + MG nova all ready to go for whatever I feel like doing. I haven't checked lately, but some clan mechs might still have a unique quirks assigned to the CT, like how some bonuses are attached to limbs. You also never know when a mech will get a quirk pass, so I tend to discourage selling mechs unless you absolutely need the mechbay.

Some omnimechs have a set-of-8 quirks that you only get if you use all the omnipods for that specific chassis.

ImpactVector posted:

I'm just getting back into this game, and have no idea what I'm doing anymore. I think I mostly have a handle on skills -- they seem to have given me a big pool of points for my old masteries and/or modules, which is nice.

But my robots are all old fits. I threw together the Bushwhacker, Cheetah, and Hellbringer in the OP, but I have a bunch of old mechs in 3050 tech, most of them in triplicate. Some advice on which weapons are solid in each category would be useful for outfitting things myself. The addition of heavy/light/rotary guns is a lot to take in for just jumping back into the game.

Alternately, I'm mostly looking for advice for Sparky or Top Dog, as those are OP-approved heroes I have. (:rip: all those old mechs. I'm not surprised there's power creep in a F2P game, but it is a little disappointing.)

Never sell mechs, you never know when/if they will get quirks and as mentioned you might want several different builds for the same mech. For example a scouting stormcrow and a quickplay stormcrow. Or maybe a Solaris build, you can do fun stuff with the Stormcrow for example LBX20+3xSRM6. Unfortunately the people who made the divisions know about this and ranked it pretty high.

The Top Dog is really good, peep this badboy: TOP DOG Just threw it together, might not need all those heatsinks, maybe a Targeting Computer for extra crits with a smaller engine. It's a beast either way.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
For anyone who enjoys lights, I highly recommend getting an Osiris. The -4D runs similar to the 6 ML Jenner, but you get more speed and a CT hitbox that doesn't take up 60% of your mech's total surface area.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Vorenus posted:

For anyone who enjoys lights, I highly recommend getting an Osiris. The -4D runs similar to the 6 ML Jenner, but you get more speed and a CT hitbox that doesn't take up 60% of your mech's total surface area.

That sounds pretty good but it would entail not driving an Urbanmech, which is basically all I would ever drive these days if I booted up.

Cop sirens :discourse:

To briefly add to the quirk thing: quirks come and go but geometry is forever. Choose accordingly.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Thanks for the advice guys. I built the Sparky and had some fun with it. A couple of really godawful matches too.

It's a totally different play style from what I'm used to, so I need to work on my poptarting. And I kept losing map awareness while trying to snipe. The thing gets cored super fast if anyone looks at you funny.

Should be fun to futz around in though. I'll build out the Dog tonight and see how that goes.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I went to go figure out what to do with the other griffin and stumbled upon molten metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw9IIgGAltE

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ImpactVector posted:

Thanks for the advice guys. I built the Sparky and had some fun with it. A couple of really godawful matches too.

It's a totally different play style from what I'm used to, so I need to work on my poptarting. And I kept losing map awareness while trying to snipe. The thing gets cored super fast if anyone looks at you funny.

Should be fun to futz around in though. I'll build out the Dog tonight and see how that goes.

As a long time old school Sparky pilot let me give you some unwanted advice before you tell me to gently caress off.

It's a great mech on paper.

The problem is it's loving SIZE. You have great geometry for using half your mech as a sacrificial zombie shield with one of the missile variants (the... 2N? ECM version? gently caress I forget, that version is excellent) but the Sparky by virtue of symmetrical hard points doesn't have a sacrificial side to burn for survival. Plus you will run hot with Standard and are delicate with XL.

So you're stuck with a fairly large medium mech that has a target profile not too different from heavy mechs. Basically you're in the medium mech equivalent of a grasshopper. Great on paper and in mechlab but in practice your game experience is going to be "oh god where is the cover?" and "why does everything hit me?".

It's a good chassis for team based play when everyone is in there with you rolling damage and sharing armor, not so good when you're dropping solo.

I'm not trying to turn you off it but be aware it has strengths (damage rolling via torso twists) and weaknesses (it's tall enough to stare down at a warhammer cockpit).

The Sparky was the second mech I mastered after doing that in the Grasshopper :suicide:

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 17, 2018

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Third World Reggin posted:

I went to go figure out what to do with the other griffin and stumbled upon molten metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw9IIgGAltE

That's a pretty standard build for the GRF-2N, except that you usually carry 2 flamers too.

Here's the oldschool Metamechs build with SRM4's:
GRF-2N

Here's the Griffin without jumpjets and with SRM6's:
GRF-2N

And here's the scouting version with only 2 tons of ammo and a slightly larger engine, ammo skillpoints required:
GRF-2N

It's very good in scouting, usually all you see are Bushwackers and GRF-2N's (at least if the person knows what they are doing). In quickplay I would run the Baradul build but I would drop ammo for 2 flamers. I have lots of experience in this mech in scouting where it's my favorite out of all my IS mediums.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

TjyvTompa posted:

Ok. I'm sorry guys, the CP-S is NOT a good mech, as you can see it is outclassed by the standard-rear end Catapult. Do not buy!

I'm glad we've come to an understanding.

Also, if we are talking IS scouting mechs, the Hunchback can do alright for itself in different configurations. With the quirks it has a ridiculous amount of torso armor making it kind of a mini heavy/assault mech with a fast firing AC20.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I know mechs are going to differ based on division and whatnot, but how are builds in Solaris going to differ? The only immediate difference that comes to mind is probably not needing quite so much ammo, but that doesn't tell me what weapons become effective and which aren't (or even which chassis' go from superior to sub-par).

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Brawling is probably gonna be dominant because of map size. We need to see the maps before we can really tell.

Speed likely won't matter much at all except for extreme cases on either end, but from the few maps I've seen so far it looks like mobility and jump jets will be very useful.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Update is live on Steam! So pumped, hype!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

I know mechs are going to differ based on division and whatnot, but how are builds in Solaris going to differ? The only immediate difference that comes to mind is probably not needing quite so much ammo, but that doesn't tell me what weapons become effective and which aren't (or even which chassis' go from superior to sub-par).

Less staying power will be necessary in the 1v1 matches I think. It means you might be able to go for really high alpha builds with XL engines in the hopes you can drop the enemy in 1-3 salvos with good aim and overriding heat. In a normal match this wouldn't really be viable as you would overheat quickly or get overwhelmed after the 1st mech. Also things like completely front-loading your armor as you generally should be able to keep 1 mech in front of you at all times.