Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Elfface posted:

"Yesiree I'll just announce my plans to ruin a guy's life in front of him, his webbed menace friend, and a man powered by uncontrollable rage! In the middle of a Florida swamp after the last two credible witnesses to see me alive, left me for dead surrounded by carnivorous scaled beasts! Boy howdy is this a great plan!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

I know that is supposed to portray surprise or shock in Panel #4 but since this is Newspaper Spider-Man I choose to believe that his spider sense finally works when he is wrong about something that isn't even an immediate threat and not the thousand other times he is ambushed or injured by falling debris and thrown objects.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
Since Connors can't seem to stop experimenting on himself, that actually seems like a reasonable disclosure.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

joehonkie posted:

Since Connors can't seem to stop experimenting on himself, that actually seems like a reasonable disclosure.

nsm connors only chugged lizard serum the one time, apparently. the dude didn't touch a single drop of magic lizard potion in this arc. connors only became the lizard this time because mj has terrible decision making skills, a hospital had no idea of how to deal with blood loss, and any kind of radiation works to transform him.

despite being a perpetually furious, filthy drug addict who lives in a swamp shanty, nsm connors is doing pretty well compared to any other version of the character.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It was still a secret until these two doctors in the hospital saw him transform.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Cat Mattress posted:

It was still a secret until these two doctors in the hospital saw him transform.
While the party was out out wrasslin' gators, those doctors have already gone to the local news, and it'll have been picked up by the national papers by the time JJ gets back to town.

Next... SABRETOOTH!

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Zero_Tactility posted:

While the party was out out wrasslin' gators, those doctors have already gone to the local news, and it'll have been picked up by the national papers by the time JJ gets back to town.

Next... SABRETOOTH!

Whose blood will HE need a transfusion of, though?

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Kurui Reiten posted:

Whose blood will HE need a transfusion of, though?

Kraven

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Wait, that had been kept a secret up until now? How? He's gone on like 20 rampages already and I doubt Peter's been the guy to stop him every single time, right?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

evilmiera posted:

Wait, that had been kept a secret up until now? How? He's gone on like 20 rampages already and I doubt Peter's been the guy to stop him every single time, right?

I dunno if I'd consider standing in the Everglades with your arms in the air really checks the "rampage" box.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Cabbit posted:

I dunno if I'd consider standing in the Everglades with your arms in the air really checks the "rampage" box.

From the perspective of the local ecosystem, it was a rampage! Why, I bet some frogs probably didn't get predated while those snakes were distracted and now the population is going to be imbalanced for days or weeks.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Android Blues posted:

From the perspective of the local ecosystem, it was a rampage! Why, I bet some frogs probably didn't get predated while those snakes were distracted and now the population is going to be imbalanced for days or weeks.

Those snakes are an invasive species, connors was just trying to feed them to the local gators and restore the balance

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Two snakes tied together will become the new top predator and destroy the ecosystem

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

J^3 better lay the gently caress into Spider-Man about wearing his mask.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I'm still hung up on this "world's top scientist" thing. On the other hand, Hank Pym is canon in this comic, and I guess it would fit some universal pattern if a man living in a ruined shack whose scientific track record is, "has spent decades trying, failing, to regrow arm while occasionally turning self into a murderous lizard by accident," was still considered a better scientist than Hank Pym.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Android Blues posted:

I'm still hung up on this "world's top scientist" thing. On the other hand, Hank Pym is canon in this comic, and I guess it would fit some universal pattern if a man living in a ruined shack whose scientific track record is, "has spent decades trying, failing, to regrow arm while occasionally turning self into a murderous lizard by accident," was still considered a better scientist than Hank Pym.

Like how does he even know who Connors is outside of being The Lizard? The guy did some research into genetics and never really published much as far as I know, how many geneticists can you name off the top of your head? I mean, if he'd somehow figured out how to accurately predict your chances of cancer down to a certain percentage, or created several vaccines for genetic disorders that he then gave away for free, MAYBE.

Then again, JJJ puffing up the importance of his own scoop is entirely in character.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

All it takes to label someone a Top Scientist... is a little SPIN

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Weekday colorist forgot that Connors is now a blond

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Clearly the way to make JJJ keep this a secret is by forcibly giving him a transfusion of Conners's blood and making him into J Jonah Jamiesaurus.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Android Blues posted:

Reed Richards is canon in this comic.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
We're talking about top scientists, not top douchebags. Though there is considerable overlap

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

evilmiera posted:

Like how does he even know who Connors is outside of being The Lizard? The guy did some research into genetics and never really published much as far as I know, how many geneticists can you name off the top of your head? I mean, if he'd somehow figured out how to accurately predict your chances of cancer down to a certain percentage, or created several vaccines for genetic disorders that he then gave away for free, MAYBE.

In Stan Lee's time "scientist" was just a generic, interchangeable term for "guy who performs magic using beakers and test tubes" and being a scientist meant you were a well-known, respected (and slightly feared) public figure.

Since this comic is written by Stan Lee('s ghost writer), we're clearly still living in that reality.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

No one suspected the Lizard was Connors because Connors only has one arm.

"Yes, okay, Connors is some kind of lizard-doctor, and some lizards grow back lost limbs, but why would he lose the new arm when he changed back?"

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

No one suspected the Lizard was Connors because Connors only has one arm.

"Yes, okay, Connors is some kind of lizard-doctor, and some lizards grow back lost limbs, but why would he lose the new arm when he changed back?"

Why DOES he lose the arm? The rest of him turns back into a human from a lizard, why can't the arm turn human too?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Kurui Reiten posted:

Why DOES he lose the arm? The rest of him turns back into a human from a lizard, why can't the arm turn human too?

Because he's always lost the arm when he changes back, it's a metaphor or something.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
One time he changed back and didn't have a child anymore!

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Push El Burrito posted:

One time he changed back and didn't have a child anymore!

I shouldn't have laughed.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

.... :five:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

jjj: "so it's ok then, glad that's settled"

tbh I'm not sure why this would even be a bad thing. "crazed man turns self into lizard monster that threatens to destroy human society, can turn back at any time with a blood transfusion" seems like a good thing for people to know about

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

I shouldn't have laughed.

Well then I shouldn't either. God drat.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I love how naked they are in showimg that NSM Curt Connors is a terrible person.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

mind the walrus posted:

I love how naked they are in showimg that NSM Curt Connors is a terrible person.

He can now get a worlds top scientist mug as he can’t have a worlds greatest dad one

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Can't believe Chris Evans got away with playing both Steve Rogers and Curt Connors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufzNMqqKCi8

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
"Who has only one thumb and is the world's top scientist? This guy!"

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

ZeeToo posted:

"Who has only one thumb and is the world's top scientist? This guy!"

:hmmyes:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I dunno, I think if I were Billy I would think that was pretty fuckin' rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Well, I mean, what about that time you ate him?