Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
poo poo yeah you're right, someone go jam a rock in the Evo's wastegate and get it up to a bajillion horsepower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

That car sure is cool as gently caress. Can't wait to see it tearing up the Nordschleife.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

an oddly awful oud posted:

the speed of the 919 Evo is breathtaking and it's a major accomplishment, but I can't see that record standing after this year's F1 qualifying. those cars are definitely going to find a second over last year

This is probably the funniest thing that they're going round taking lap records that probably are going to last a few months.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Porsche actually said they wanted to take it down to 1:36? Not sure how and what they’re planning and/or how much internet is applied to that statement, but if they do it, I don’t see F1 go under 1:36 though

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

geonetix posted:

Porsche actually said they wanted to take it down to 1:36? Not sure how and what they’re planning and/or how much internet is applied to that statement, but if they do it, I don’t see F1 go under 1:36 though

Basing my statement on iracing that have just introduced the 919 and R18. It is very evident that a huge amount of the car's speed depends on the usage of the electrical system and with them running unrestricted the only limit is how much they can generate during the lap. Maybe they increased the capacity as well so they can run a few laps and save a bunch and use it all during the fast lap?
In iracing since the amount you can use is capped, just using it in the wrong places will have you lose several seconds during a lap. Now image they can use a lot out of every corner and I can see them doing crazy lap times.
They also have crazy high gearing due to the fuel limits where top gear was only used to save fuel. So if they lowered the gearing all around I can see them gaining some time as well.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 10, 2018

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Been watching the WTCR and gently caress me if they haven't spun poo poo into gold with this one. 3 excellent races, one hell of a driver line up and the cars look absolutely fast enough.

It actually finally feels like the BTCC on the world stage rather than the staid mess that was WTCC.

The Nordschleife race is going to be excellent.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

Basing my statement on iracing that have just introduced the 919 and R18. It is very evident that a huge amount of the car's speed depends on the usage of the electrical system and with them running unrestricted the only limit is how much they can generate during the lap. Maybe they increased the capacity as well so they can run a few laps and save a bunch and use it all during the fast lap?
In iracing since the amount you can use is capped, just using it in the wrong places will have you lose several seconds during a lap. Now image they can use a lot out of every corner and I can see them doing crazy lap times.
They also have crazy high gearing due to the fuel limits where top gear was only used to save fuel. So if they lowered the gearing all around I can see them gaining some time as well.

Same engine and hybrid system, but Porsche isn’t limited to WEC’s fuel flow restriction or energy deployment limits. So the engine now puts out 720hp (compared to about 500 with the race fuel flow limit) and the MGU-K at the front can now deploy 440hp instead of 400.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/04/faster-than-an-f1-car-porsche-is-breaking-records-with-the-919-hybrid/

I don’t think they changed gear ratios.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Stuff I (and maybe you) will be into this weekend:

ELMS and Michelin Le Mans Cup from Paul Ricard

IMSA and Pirelli World Challenge (and Stadium Super Trucks!!!) from Long Beach

and some open-wheel stuff too

Times are EDT (GMT-4):

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Stuff I (and maybe you) will be into this weekend:

ELMS and Michelin Le Mans Cup from Paul Ricard

IMSA and Pirelli World Challenge (and Stadium Super Trucks!!!) from Long Beach

and some open-wheel stuff too

Times are EDT (GMT-4):

hell yeah

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Can I subscribe to that calendar? That looks pretty handy.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Eyud posted:

Can I subscribe to that calendar? That looks pretty handy.

I hand-curate it for my own use for the racing series I care about, so take it with a grain of salt, but I think I can add people.

PM me your emails if you want on it.

e: it also is a compilation of all the Radio Show Limited (formerly Radio Le Mans) programming schedule exports

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
If it helps anyone, I found a thing on reddit that will make you a google calendar of whatever racing you care about. https://rmotorsportscalendar.com/

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

RacingCircuits.info also has a good motorsports calendar.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
missed the N24 qualifying race on my calendar:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Wouldnt it be easier to read if you color coded the series (or at the very lest color coded Open Wheel, Sports Cars, Touring Cars etc.)

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Basticle posted:

Wouldnt it be easier to read if you color coded the series (or at the very lest color coded Open Wheel, Sports Cars, Touring Cars etc.)

It's that color because it's separate from my other calendars (which I've hidden in this display)

mostly because my wife would be annoyed if I filled our shared calendar with race sessions

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 12, 2018

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

There's the annual Jim Clark thing on Hockenheim the next weekend, if anyone is interested. Doesn't cost much, and you get to see quite a lot of stuff (and team owners/engineers are super cool because it's a non-competitive weekend and they are very open for questions and stuff).

Uploaded some unedited, mostly boring footage from last year saturday, maybe it's of interest to some

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKzotQVIe7E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCCLYnlTGf4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vicGi20NKM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRazvQepA0g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rKK9OeLCto

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I dont think Ive watched sports cars at Long Beach before, I assume its always a giant clusterfuck since the cars are so wide, right?

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
It doesnt help when you try to drive through a wall to pass someone

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Basticle posted:

I dont think Ive watched sports cars at Long Beach before, I assume its always a giant clusterfuck since the cars are so wide, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XHOzcasOxE

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
The IMSA stream is stuttering like crazy :( it's been getting worse and worse since they made big changes to it 2 or so years ago.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
The stream is garbage, ive given up and im off to watch ELMS qualifying

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
Another processional Long Beach, like the soup course in the middle of the season-long banquet. Bring on Mid-Ohio already

It's really starting to look like the Acuras are hard on their tires, they seem to be really racy at the beginning of every stint so far this year and then 20 laps later, they're losing ground to the Cadillacs and Mazdas in a big way

I'm sure they're going to win a race at some point but the Cadillac is still the package to beat when it's not cooking its own motor

Also the DPis are all still clearly better than the P2s, time for another round of horsepower reductions

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
They really need to just split the class already. Open up the DPis, and let the P2s run how they are.

Only issue then may be that Caddy then runs even further away from the rest of the DPis, but we'll deal woth that later.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I think the big problem with DPis at the street circuits is that dampers are an open development item for DPi and spec homologation for P2, which gives then a fairly significant advantage over the P2s on bumpy circuits like Sebring, Long Beach, and Detroit

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I think the big problem with DPis at the street circuits is that dampers are an open development item for DPi and spec homologation for P2, which gives then a fairly significant advantage over the P2s on bumpy circuits like Sebring, Long Beach, and Detroit

That is a fantastic point. The two specs seemed a lot closer at Daytona than they have since

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

http://www.supercars.com/news/championship/why-mustang-supercar-will-race-with-v8-power/

Ford are going to finally drop the Falcon from the Australian Supercars and adopt the Mustang from 2019 on. They will be sticking with the 5lt V8.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
but doors

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

You Am I posted:

http://www.supercars.com/news/championship/why-mustang-supercar-will-race-with-v8-power/

Ford are going to finally drop the Falcon from the Australian Supercars and adopt the Mustang from 2019 on. They will be sticking with the 5lt V8.

All of a sudden Holden sticking with the V8 makes so much sense.
Kinda wish GM would let Holden have a Camaro or a Corvette now. Also, GT-R supercar when?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/986233138895564800?s=19

https://twitter.com/Adam_Fenwick/status/986255578610716673?s=19

Uh oh

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
wrx wins again. except the bit about them ditching Lydden Hill which is garbage

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

anybody wanna hire Scott Speed?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Cygni posted:

anybody wanna hire Scott Speed?

Why would anyone want to associate with one of the biggest douchebags to ever race professionally?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

Why would anyone want to associate with one of the biggest douchebags to ever race professionally?

It's truly remarkable you can make that statement and my brain immediately goes "yeah, but he's nowhere near Sage Karam's level".

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Didn't everyone from GRC already hop to another series anyway?

Ah yes they had, and the GRC was trying to market upgraded unbadged lites cars.

(This also led me to Scott Speed's twitter where claims to be the World Champion of Rallycross in 2015,2016 and 2017, which would certainly be a surprise to Petter Solberg, Mattias Ekstrom and Johan Kristoffersson who were probably charmingly under the illusion that winning the World Championship rather than a domestic series that only exists to sell sugar water might confer that honour).

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Schlesische posted:

It's truly remarkable you can make that statement and my brain immediately goes "yeah, but he's nowhere near Sage Karam's level".

10 Karams is called a Buschel

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dudley posted:

Didn't everyone from GRC already hop to another series anyway?

Ah yes they had, and the GRC was trying to market upgraded unbadged lites cars.

(This also led me to Scott Speed's twitter where claims to be the World Champion of Rallycross in 2015,2016 and 2017, which would certainly be a surprise to Petter Solberg, Mattias Ekstrom and Johan Kristoffersson who were probably charmingly under the illusion that winning the World Championship rather than a domestic series that only exists to sell sugar water might confer that honour).

WRX which I think was a rebranding of the European Rallycross Championship is the "real" Rallycross series though they're doing dumb GRC bullshit like going to a dumb fake rallycross track at Silverstone instead of doing Lydden Hill, which is more or less the spiritual home of rallycross.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The motorsport world will do anything to maintain the idea that Silverstone is a track worth giving a poo poo about.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

njsykora posted:

The motorsport world will do anything to maintain the idea that Silverstone is a track worth giving a poo poo about.

It used to be cool;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppNgbAsljlE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I actually liked the "new" silverstone when they first came up with it but it's so sterile. I hate the post-1990 Silverstone with a passion though. What a nothing race track.