Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

Put a baseball team in Salt Lake and immediately send Stanton, Judge, Trout and Ohtani there
SLC is about 1000 ft lower than Denver. Mexico City is 2000 ft higher than Denver though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

bawfuls posted:

SLC is about 1000 ft lower than Denver. Mexico City is 2000 ft higher than Denver though.

Aw hell I had it backwards

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Put a team on the moon

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Darren Daulton just perked up and isn't sure why

e: oh poo poo he dead :rip:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

For reference, here's where each area sits in terms of the teams that have territorial rights:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Imagine living in Iowa and being blacked out from six different teams, none of which are even in your state.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Imagine living in Iowa.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

Imagine living in Iowa and being blacked out from six different teams, none of which are even in your state.

Mediacom actually carries CSN Chicago (and WGN America, even though they don't carry Cubs games anymore), so it wasn't hard to watch Cubs games there.

I'm just happy that Madison is very comfortably 40 miles outside the Cubs' blackout zone, so the only time I can't watch them is if they're on ESPN or playing the Brewers.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

bawfuls posted:

Imagine living in Iowa.

Paging MV

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dubuque is a great city and I will fight all who say otherwise. :colbert:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Intruder posted:

+127 means you have to bet $100 to win $127
-137 means you bet $137 to win $100

Over/under 7.5 runs means you bet on whether the combined runs are greater or lower than that number

e: edited then edited back after I second guessed myself

A friend of mine once made a website that tracked Vegas baseball odds and results over the course of a season. It would tell you how much you'd make or lose if you bet the same amount on all home teams, all away teams, all underdogs, all favorites, etc. for every game that season. The only combination that won money was betting on home underdogs. Every other bet ended up losing over the course of a season. And that was just for one season, so the sample size is not very big.

So basically Vegas is extremely good at setting the odds to make sure that they win in the long run. But if you want to throw money at some baseball games and you don't know what you're doing, betting on home underdogs is probably the least bad idea.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Timby posted:

For reference, here's where each area sits in terms of the teams that have territorial rights:

Iowa should just be labelled "The Zone of Bullshit".

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Julio Cruz posted:

Rays pitching plus Marlins offense might be able to make a go at .500.
Have you seen the Marlins’ offense?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Cubs have

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

nmfree posted:

Iowa should just be labelled "The Zone of Bullshit".

Never been to Iowa I see

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Des Moines is beautiful.

Kansas sucks for sure though.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

RisqueBarber posted:

Des Moines is beautiful.

Honestly everything from Des Moines to the east is beautiful. The Great River Road is really something to see.

Holy poo poo, though, gently caress everything west of Des Moines. About two miles past the city on I-80 you won't see anything but flat lands and lovely roadstop "towns" until Omaha.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Cueto's off the DL and pitching tonight. :)

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah. It's in St. Louis, Milwaukee, Seattle and the Bronx :v:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Timby posted:

What the hell is going on in that little patch right in the middle of Nevada?

Slightly related: convert the Las Vegas 51s into a major league team. I'm pretty sure they have the highest rate of dingers in the PCL.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

bawfuls posted:

Imagine living in Iowa.

Seems kinda nice tbh. Cheaper than San Diego at least.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ego symphonic posted:

Seems kinda nice tbh. Cheaper than San Diego at least.

This is true; I lived in Dubuque for eight years and by the end I was paying something like $515 for half of a house.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Timby posted:

Welp looks like all the territory is already claimed, no more expansion teams

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

bewbies posted:

Oklahoma City would be a fantastic Baseball Team City but there isn't enough money there to keep schools open let alone build a Baseball Stadium.

The Bricktown stadium and the area around it is nice, but yeah they don't need a major league team right now.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
It’s bullshit that teams get to claim anything outside their immediate metropolitan area in the first place

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Kevyn posted:

Nonsense! This is Manfred Destiny! Give us the Honolulu Hulas, complete with racist native insignia!

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

I for one can't wait to cheer for the Anchorage Eskimos.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kevyn posted:

Honestly expansion probably isn't a great idea, but relocation could be. But then again, good luck convincing teams to give up their guaranteed territory income.

Really, there should be contraction, but the union would justifiably throw a goddamn fit.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/986273156238364674

Meanwhile...the MLB is continuing to gently caress minor league players.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

RisqueBarber posted:

I mean yeah but have you seen what the NFL minor league players make?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Joey Freshwater posted:

I mean yeah but have you seen what the NFL minor league players make?

$40,000+ in free room/board and education? :can:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Orlando hasn’t even had a minor league team of any level in the city in almost two decades. Plus the city is firmly in Rays’ territory.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Sydin posted:

I'm blacked out for 3, and as I shouted at the MLB.tv rep, that really means that on any given day, I'm blocked from watching 6 teams.

He calmly replied, "Be glad you're not in Iowa."

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

RisqueBarber posted:

Blows my mind. For a relatively paltry investment, you could make sure your prospects focus on baseball for the whole year. That can only benefit the major league team.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Hotdog In A Hallway posted:

Blows my mind. For a relatively paltry investment, you could make sure your prospects focus on baseball for the whole year. That can only benefit the major league team.
It's a kind of prisoner's dilema for owners though. You could pay your minor leaguers more and gain a competitive advantage, but if it works then before long everyone is paying their minor leaguers this higher rate and your advantage disappears. Now you have to maintain the higher pay rate just to keep up.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

IcePhoenix posted:

N: it's raining in Puerto Rico

V: wow why didn't the penny pinching Pohlads spring for a roof on the stadium there? They should have known it would rain at some point!

WHY NOT INDEED. :bahgawd:

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Timby posted:

Honestly expansion probably isn't a great idea, but relocation could be. But then again, good luck convincing teams to give up their guaranteed territory income.

Really, there should be contraction, but the union would justifiably throw a goddamn fit.

Wtf lol, this league is nowhere near considering contraction. Nor should they be, from either financial or talent level considerations

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
No I agree, the Yankees and Cardinals should be disbanded.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Timby posted:

I don't know how different the TV rules were back in the late 80s and early 90s. Growing up near Tulsa, I can remember being able to watch Rangers, Royals, and Cardinals games on over the air TV broadcasts. If you had cable you could get HSE which had Astros games, WGN and TBS which had Cubs and some White Sox games, and the Braves,. Some cable plans I think even had Yankees games on, the NY cable superstation. was it WOR?

And if you had one those giant 12 foot c-band satellite dishes that moved when you changed the channel, you would be able to access all of it..

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 17, 2018

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

bawfuls posted:

It's a kind of prisoner's dilema for owners though. You could pay your minor leaguers more and gain a competitive advantage, but if it works then before long everyone is paying their minor leaguers this higher rate and your advantage disappears. Now you have to maintain the higher pay rate just to keep up.

I mean, if you believe in even the basic premise of market economics this is what is supposed to happen. Anything else is collusion and possibly illegal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Timby posted:

That poo poo about the Giants still pisses me off because don't they only have the San Jose territorial rights because of Walter Haas' generosity?

Yeah he gave them the south bay to entice investors to build AT&T. Now the territory the A's gave the Giants is the home to basically every tech company but Microsoft and Amazon, so it's big money for sponsors and corporate partnerships

• Locked thread