Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm still salty as hell that the community went with Eggette instead of Eggatha, which is a proper pun based on a real name that rolls off the tongue. Eggette is none of those things. It is a garbage name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm still salty as hell that the community went with Eggette instead of Eggatha, which is a proper pun based on a real name that rolls off the tongue. Eggette is none of those things. It is a garbage name.

Eggatha or Omelette.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Here's the new menu

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Nodosaur posted:

Disappointing but, like, adding her would probably be a legal nightmare, considering she's an amalgamation of myriad fan designs with no real original "creator", and I doubt Sega wants to risk another lawsuit over ownership of something.

The source image is literally an upside down Eggman, so I'm pretty sure there's no legal issues to be found there.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yeah but the idea to turn that into a character was a fan-created one. Ian Flynn talked about stuff like this a lot when he was writing the Archie comic, he couldn't afford to even have fan-created ideas posted on his forum in the case that one of his ideas resembled it, even if he never saw it. Companies like Sega and its licensees are super paranoid about stuff like this

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Nodosaur posted:

Yeah but the idea to turn that into a character was a fan-created one. Ian Flynn talked about stuff like this a lot when he was writing the Archie comic, he couldn't afford to even have fan-created ideas posted on his forum in the case that one of his ideas resembled it, even if he never saw it. Companies like Sega and its licensees are super paranoid about stuff like this

Yeah. Mark Rosewater says all the time that it's great that people have ideas for Magic cards and mechanics but he literally cannot know about them or comment on them for legal reasons.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

WoTC doesn't have a history of lawsuit troubles regarding that, so I think ol' Maro means something else there. Unless that's somehow the way Hex won their case or something.

Sega has a giant black spot better not to speak of so the point is legitimate there.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Even if they don't have a history of lawsuits it's still best practice not to even risk it?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Here's the new menu

Do we know how much Plus will be?

I’m very happy they added more level transitions. It was kinda disappointing that some levels didn’t have any.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 17, 2018

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Aww. Looks like it didn't leak in the UK, not update to download here.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Nah, it ONLY leaked on PS4 in EU, but they already fixed it. If you already downloaded the update while it was up, you still have it, but you can't get it now

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Xad posted:

Nah, it ONLY leaked on PS4 in EU, but they already fixed it. If you already downloaded the update while it was up, you still have it, but you can't get it now

Well that super sucks then, guess my PS4 didn't pull the update automatically.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Elentor posted:

Wait, did Cybershell pass?
I don't think anyone really knows where he is or what his situation is at the moment, though I've certainly heard the idea he's dead floated. Probably in jest, but...

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i assume he got murdered by that dude who was stalking him

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Stairmaster posted:

I never even heard of Cybershell, nor do I have his dismembered body in my windowless van parked outside the local Quizno's.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nodosaur posted:

Disappointing but, like, adding her would probably be a legal nightmare, considering she's an amalgamation of myriad fan designs with no real original "creator", and I doubt Sega wants to risk another lawsuit over ownership of something.

If I recall, Eggetha came fully formed from the original person who posted her, so there'd be a single person to buy the design from.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 18, 2018

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I thought there was some scuttlebutt about it looking like a girl before he drew the idea out, but that's my weird memory at work again.

Of course it'd require Sega to consider it worth their while, so.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

They did fix the Oil Ocean Act 2 boss a little, the tentacles now spread out and away from the sub instead of sitting right by it the entire time, which makes it less of a clusterfuck. Only other boss change I noticed watching a playthrough is that Press Garden 1 stops for a second and forces you to look at the boss entering the arena. On the first part of Metal Sonic, there's also some added VFX to the blasts he fires while jacked into the generator, and the Silver Sonics explode into 4 pellets when you bop them, which I would guess is to discourage you from camping the door.

The new boss entirely replaces the old spike wall boss, which seems a little weird to me, I was hoping it'd just get tacked on at the end. I guess this is a Launch Base situation and we'll have to wait for Sonic Mania Complete to add that missing phase back.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

That spike wall did not deserve to exist.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Stairmaster posted:

Someone was really stalking him? It is kinda weird that he pretty much disappeared not long after starting a Patreon. Hope he’s doing okay. His videos are hilarious and the best Sonic ones on YouTube.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nodosaur posted:

SoJ wouldn't give it the time of day, but SoA might seriously consider it - they're all in with the kidz and their memes.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Nodosaur posted:

I thought there was some scuttlebutt about it looking like a girl before he drew the idea out, but that's my weird memory at work again.

there was scuttlebutt like "oh hey the upside down Eggman looks like a girl" but nobody really fully formed a character until that design and i'm pretty sure the Omelette name comes from that designer. if Sega paid them a decent bit of money for it they'd probably be in the clear to use that design as-is

e: also, is SoJ even really still a thing? like, do they do anything, or are they basically just a shell for Sonic Team and the PSO2 servers? it seems like 99% of Sega's PR work is targeted at the west

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

SoJ is very much a thing. You don't see them doing marketing because anything they do is focused on Japan and none of their high profile people except for guys like Iizuka really do much to make themselves known, unlike say, Nintendo.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e: also, is SoJ even really still a thing? like, do they do anything, or are they basically just a shell for Sonic Team and the PSO2 servers? it seems like 99% of Sega's PR work is targeted at the west

A lot of the Sonic stuff over the last couple years is specifically western-facing because Sega USA is more of a Sonic brand management company than a development studio nowadays. Some of the higher-ups like Takashi Iizuka have relocated back to the US in order to keep everyone on the same page.

Sega of Japan does tons of stuff, not just in terms of releasing software but other events as well - they've signed on for Japan's new eSports license, they're still doing arcades, etc. They had a big two-day event over the weekend that announced lots of new projects, they're just not relevant to international audiences.

If anything, Sega of Japan has only gained in stature in the west thanks to the recent success of Yakuza, the re-emergence of Puyo, etc. Much of that can be attributed to Atlus USA's pledge to leave nothing on the table: re localisation, but that really only extends to console games, sadly.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

A very good detail in the new cutscenes: a very old bio for Tails that you can read in Sonic Jam lists "thunder" as his dislike.

This has never, ever mattered in a Sonic game, ever, except in the Metallic Madness -> Titanic Monarch cutscene, Tails jumps in fear every time lightning strikes. :3:

(Tails also canonically has no weaknesses.)

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Okay, but here's the BIG question:

Does the Green Hill --> Chemical Plant transition now have that animation of Tails drying himself off using his Tails as a fan?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
IT loving BETTER

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

nerdbot posted:

A very good detail in the new cutscenes: a very old bio for Tails that you can read in Sonic Jam lists "thunder" as his dislike.

This has never, ever mattered in a Sonic game, ever, except in the Metallic Madness -> Titanic Monarch cutscene, Tails jumps in fear every time lightning strikes. :3:

(Tails also canonically has no weaknesses.)

i remember this being an important plot thing in a lovely sonic fangame from the sfghq days which is why i still remember that

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Paul.Power posted:

Okay, but here's the BIG question:

Does the Green Hill --> Chemical Plant transition now have that animation of Tails drying himself off using his Tails as a fan?

Slightly modified, but yes.

Two non-spoiler things of note: you can use unlocks like instashield with savegames, and you can turn off the time limit in options.

Also Super Sonic has proper long-spined animation for everything now, instead of just being pallete swaps for half of them.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Apr 18, 2018

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Metal Sonic Kai (or probably Phantom Metal Sonic) is cool by I don’t like that they got rid of the electrified spin attack and shortened the bits beforehand.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I'm drooling over all of this. I can't wait to play this.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

MikeJF posted:

you can turn off the time limit in options.
Incidentally, this started up really annoying arguments on other forums/social media I visit about the necessity of timers in arcade-style video games, which also deviated into the existing argument of the necessity of lives in arcade-style video games, both of which were declared to be "bad mechanics" as if this was now objective truth because some people couldn't beat Mania with them in place without getting frustrated at being sent back to the start of a Zone when you got a Game Over.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Shadow Hog posted:

Incidentally, this started up really annoying arguments on other forums/social media I visit about the necessity of timers in arcade-style video games, which also deviated into the existing argument of the necessity of lives in arcade-style video games, both of which were declared to be "bad mechanics" as if this was now objective truth because some people couldn't beat Mania with them in place without getting frustrated at being sent back to the start of a Zone when you got a Game Over.

I only game overed once, and it was on the last boss of Oil Ocean as Knuckles, as Mirage Saloon's boss had vented several of my lives.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Shadow Hog posted:

Calling them categorically bad is dumb but I would say that both the timer and lives have pretty much no reason to exist in Sonic Mania. The timer disincentivises you from exploring the levels fully and finding all the secrets which is a huge part of the fun, but is extremely generous when just trying to finish the stage. And if you don't die more than like three times per act your life counter will keep going up throughout the game, thus rendering the mechanic meaningless. You might as well always respawn at a checkpoint. It only punishes bad players by making the game even harder/more tedious for them, which is not something you want to be doing. The only reason lives exist is basically so the game has some sort of disposable goody to give out for collecting lots of rings, and I think that could easily be pivoted to something like getting a shield for 100 rings instead.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah the timer is dumb IMO with all the exploration you can do in the levels. Ambivalent on lives because I never game overd so it didn't really matter for me.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Amppelix posted:

Calling them categorically bad is dumb but I would say that both the timer and lives have pretty much no reason to exist in Sonic Mania. The timer disincentivises you from exploring the levels fully and finding all the secrets which is a huge part of the fun, but is extremely generous when just trying to finish the stage. And if you don't die more than like three times per act your life counter will keep going up throughout the game, thus rendering the mechanic meaningless. You might as well always respawn at a checkpoint. It only punishes bad players by making the game even harder/more tedious for them, which is not something you want to be doing. The only reason lives exist is basically so the game has some sort of disposable goody to give out for collecting lots of rings, and I think that could easily be pivoted to something like getting a shield for 100 rings instead.

Nah, the timer has its role on a stage like Titanic Monarch 2 where the entire point is that you've a very large stage and beating the timer is the point.

Although I think selective application of it would probably be the best approach.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think a good middle ground would be to have diagetic timers. Stuff like the Oil Ocean pollution/Sandopolis ghosts work as good temporary timers that allow the player to stave off a time out.

I totally get that the timer was kinda the point in Titanic Monarch, but maybe they could have had the level communicate better. Like the place is falling apart and Eggman has giant timers scattered throughout the background.

I personally don't mind the timer myself. Though Sonic Mania was a wake-up call to me, made me realize how alien Sonic gameplay is to someone used to traditional platformers.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Was Titanic Monarch Act 2 based around the timer? I thought it was based around navigating some tricky platforming sections, nothing more. That it is too big for its timer doesn't mean that that was the point, especially if there is zero indication of this. You might as well say that Flying Battery Act 2 was based on beating the timer, since a lot of people had trouble with the timeout there as well.

Mania just had level design that outgrew what is basically a legacy mechanic, and it didn't really have a point in the older games either to be perfectly honest. I'm struggling to think of any Sonic game that actually benefits from a timeout function other than maybe Fighters. No-one has ever needed an arbitrary timer to be encouraged not to dawdle in a Sonic game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Was Titanic Monarch Act 2 based around the timer? I thought it was based around navigating some tricky platforming sections, nothing more. That it is too big for its timer doesn't mean that that was the point, especially if there is zero indication of this. You might as well say that Flying Battery Act 2 was based on beating the timer, since a lot of people had trouble with the timeout there as well.

Mania just had level design that outgrew what is basically a legacy mechanic, and it didn't really have a point in the older games either to be perfectly honest. I'm struggling to think of any Sonic game that actually benefits from a timeout function other than maybe Fighters. No-one has ever needed an arbitrary timer to be encouraged not to dawdle in a Sonic game.

Monarch is obviously based around the timer because if you time over it takes you back to the beginning of the level, requiring that you complete all of the paths again.

On any other stage a time over takes you back to your last checkpoint with a timer reset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

nerdbot posted:

The new boss entirely replaces the old spike wall boss, which seems a little weird to me, I was hoping it'd just get tacked on at the end. I guess this is a Launch Base situation and we'll have to wait for Sonic Mania Complete to add that missing phase back.

the spike wall phase was weird and kinda dumb because it was basically impossible to die and this new phase is functionally the same gameplay concept just with more going on