Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

MourningView posted:

I figured you meant in the sense that it took him like 95 shots to get to 60.

Hahah I meant that in general it's basically a good way to see how people view basketball and Kobe in general, everyone kind of has a personal spin on how they interpret that game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Only a few (mostly long gone) people here ever argued with me against this so I'm not exactly saying I told you so, but I appreciate that things happened just as I said regarding this new CBA: the efforts to stop superstar movement would in fact force more movement, and reduce the amount of teams with superstars overall, and wouldn't actually drive contracts down.

Oh well, as long as it doesn't cause another lockout I guess it doesn't matter.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/the_raptor/status/986316563048366080

Raptors now my favorite East team

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

Only a few (mostly long gone) people here ever argued with me against this so I'm not exactly saying I told you so,

are you sure

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Russ needs a higher SPF

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

MourningView posted:

I figured you meant in the sense that it took him like 95 shots to get to 60.

There are rumors about Secret Contract Clauses in every shoe deal driving star players to New York or LA and usually everyone here correctly laughs at them, I have no idea why this is the one people have decided is real.

Oh believe me I have not forgotten the Escalator Clause bullshit during Lebron’s first FA

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MourningView posted:

are you sure

I'm not saying I told YOU so in explicit, unless any NBA owners happen to be reading this thread, then I did in fact tell you so.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Rick posted:

Only a few (mostly long gone) people here ever argued with me against this so I'm not exactly saying I told you so, but I appreciate that things happened just as I said regarding this new CBA: the efforts to stop superstar movement would in fact force more movement, and reduce the amount of teams with superstars overall, and wouldn't actually drive contracts down.

The Supermax was by far the dumbest player movement countermove, like loving Indiana is gonna pay 230 million or whatever so Paul George can get them the 8th seed (Pacers fans feel free to gloat that you got higher without him)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Rick posted:

It may have been you, but this belief also usually went along with "And those teams will only be LA/Miami/New York", so the new CBA did at least mostly level the playing field for markets.

I think the quickly growing cap probably did more for player movement than re-signing in FA bonuses. Most players were able to make up that lost money more quickly with the cap increasing 20% every year. A few years of a relatively flat cap might change that, but who knows?

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
there was an somewhat interesting article from ~~the ringer~~ (i think) about the supermax and how its basically never been used by a small market team, nor ever will be because 35% of the cap is simply too limiting to teams.

does anyone have any ideas on a better system for dispersing superstars, keeping talent local, and preventing teams with more money from happily paying the tax? just wondering. i know i've heard things like no max/hard cap and things like that.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Raise the luxury tax limit so smaller market teams feel less constrained.

Share more revenue.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

RaySmuckles posted:

there was an somewhat interesting article from ~~the ringer~~ (i think) about the supermax and how its basically never been used by a small market team, nor ever will be because 35% of the cap is simply too limiting to teams.

does anyone have any ideas on a better system for dispersing superstars, keeping talent local, and preventing teams with more money from happily paying the tax? just wondering. i know i've heard things like no max/hard cap and things like that.

The Pistons are a top third market tv wise but a small market by tv money and they traded for the most radioactive supermax. How many chances have 'small market teams' had to pay it, as it has a lot of triggers and most of them have had a lot of roster turnover or signed players to long term deals right before it kicked in.

Link to the ringer if you don't mind, I don't see it

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

euphronius posted:

Share more revenue.

dump the salary cap entitely imo

I think the supermax can be a deterrent to re-signing lots of guys but not someone like Leonard who was a legit MVP candidate as recently as last year

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

MourningView posted:

How would that have the effect in question

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

RaySmuckles posted:

Small market teams have given 35% to stars before, you usually had to wait until they were at the 10 year mark. The Supermax is not any more money than before, it just allows you to give it to younger players.

euphronius posted:

Share more revenue.

Raising the luxury tax won't help much, it'll allow bigger markets more time before they hit it. The real answer is (as you said) share revenue but also harden the cap. Don't give teams easy ways to fit pieces.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DeimosRising posted:

How would that have the effect in question

dunno but salary caps are bad

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

The argument against this is that the teams that get the most from local tv deals and luxury boxes/local ad sales would always have a head start over the rest of the league, yes? So Knicks, Brooklyn if they ever got a big tv deal, Lakers, Clippers if they ever got a deal, and Golden State,

Then the next tier is Chicago, Boston, Houston

and so on

I think the NBA likes their sort of rigged tv show to be equally popular in all markets, so it's a non-starter

Also, the money is so big for stars that these differences, after tax, aren't really a big deal, unless it's Lebron or someone else who's making enough on shoes and ads to aim for 9 figures at some point in his life .

I'd hate to see the NBA move to a NFL model where the QB is essentially part of management and the rest of the salary cap is left for guys to kill each other over. The NBA needs a healthy middle class, to encourage long rotations, fun offenses where everyone's running and everyone's going hard on defense, not 1 guy then 2 very rich guys and a cast of ring chasers and rookies.

The supermax is an attempt to create that. The owners are so much better at negotiating than the players. I kind of like mark cuban's idea of giving players a chance to make money based on how well the team does, but it would have to be optional because that wouldn't necessarily motivate a Phoenix Sun.

The players union needs to get smart, get all the obvious basketball revenue stuff/team owned channel revenue included in BRI. Lebron sold out most of the league in his attempt to get a billion dollars and a franchise of his own. he will get a team, because he was trusted and they ended up with a CBA that didn't ĺddress structural issues.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 18, 2018

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
i haven't reread it to be sure of my claims, but here you go

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/2/5/16972634/trouble-nba-max-contracts

looks like i misremembered a little bit, but its still an interesting article about how limiting max contracts are and predicts a trend that i think is similar in the nfl: maxes and rookie contracts only, no more (upper) middle class.

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 18, 2018

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

RaySmuckles posted:

Allow every team one contract that does not count against the salary cap and has no limits on amounts that can be offered.

Maybe some guys might still think about teaming up but it'd be hard if a team is offering you $50 million a year.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You can put as many rules as you like, that's still not going to stop bad GMs do bad things

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Allow teams to amnesty one contract every 3 years. The player would get 100% of the money owed but the contract would disappear for cap and cba purposes.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

euphronius posted:

Allow teams to amnesty one contract every 3 years. The player would get 100% of the money owed but the contract would disappear for cap and cba purposes.

I don't know why they don't allow this. "You can amnesty a player as long as you have not amnestied another contract in the last 36 months" or whatever. That seems like something that largely helps everyone.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Ghost Dog posted:

fanfic about a guys inner thoughts is not super insightful, you are going pretty hard into skip bayless territory raymo smucklay

Yeah, spurs fans need to calm down. NBA INSIDER Jaylen Rose said that Westbrook was a lock to the Lakers when his contract ended, then Durant went to GSW and Westbrook took a lot of money to stay in the "explicitly stolen from Natives" state.

Paul George was supposed to be LA or bust, but the Lakers seem to have hosed that up.

Lebron was supposed to go to some LA team, but his 'team' stated he'd never be a clipper. Maybe they gut their roster to put together a new big three, but that's a gamble.

Kawhi is just the next guy for beat writers to speculate about based on lack of communication. My opinion is still that he doesn't want them to gently caress up his entire leg, like they did to Tony Parker by having him play with a torn quad tendon. The new line, "his mom controls things and wants him in LA,"strikes strange, he may be from southern california, but it's also where his father was shot to death over the money in the cash register at his car wash. Why not visit family and build a new home without having to deal with those feelings and fear for your newly rich mother/brother/sister every time you have a few days off and your mind begins to wander.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

euphronius posted:

This strongly benefits wealthier teams but does create more movement/player leverage I guess

The answer is of course to seize the teams into public ownership, split revenue equally between teams with profit going into regional infrastructure, and remove the max individual contract

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
While i'm posting 1000x on this page, this paragraph from the ringer article is what I always talk to. The Pistons were almost undefeated in this span and had the best net rating by far, way above GSW, it was brutal and Detroit hasn't been the same since:

In his first 15 full games after Detroit waived Smith, Jennings averaged 20 points and 7.2 assists on 44 percent shooting (well above his career mark of 39 percent). “For the first time in my career,” he says, “it felt like I was seeing things before they happened. I’d been watching so much film. I had the ball in my hand a lot, because in Stan’s offense the point guard dictates everything. So as a point guard, you come in every night, and you know it’s on you. It’s on your shoulders. And you either want it or you don’t. And I wanted it. I was thinking, ‘This is my time.’”

On January 4, 2015, Detroit played at Milwaukee. Jennings was back at the BMO Harris Bradley Center, playing before a crowd that still showed him love. Late in the third quarter, he applied full-court pressure on an inbounds to Brandon Knight. As the two jockeyed for position, Jennings stumbled back, then crumpled to the floor. While the Bucks played five-on-four, Jennings writhed on the other end of the court, smacking the hardwood, grasping his ankle, eyes closed, in agony.

DeimosRising posted:

This strongly benefits wealthier teams but does create more movement/player leverage I guess

The answer is of course to seize the teams into public ownership, split revenue equally between teams with profit going into regional infrastructure, and remove the max individual contract

The green bay/ Real Madrid? (Which spanish soccer team, all spanish soccer teams?) model is good and there's a reason that it's been explicitly banned by the NFL and probably the NBA. They don't want a local car dealer as head of a coalition of regular people intruding on their club.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 18, 2018

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
im glad russ took a poo poo a ton of money to stay

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

DeimosRising posted:

I think it would help the smaller teams actually since they can get out of deals and avoid the lux tax

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
https://twitter.com/b1ackschefter/status/986381409723011072?s=21

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Dejan Bimble posted:

The green bay/ Real Madrid? (Which spanish soccer team, all spanish soccer teams?) model is good and there's a reason that it's been explicitly banned by the NFL and probably the NBA. They don't want a local car dealer as head of a coalition of regular people intruding on their club.

Florentino Perez is worth $2 billion Euros, and doesn't pay black players as much as white players, not because he's racist, he just doesn't like black people.

He'd probably fit in better with the NFL owners.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Lockback posted:

It may have been you, but this belief also usually went along with "And those teams will only be LA/Miami/New York", so the new CBA did at least mostly level the playing field for markets.

I think the quickly growing cap probably did more for player movement than re-signing in FA bonuses. Most players were able to make up that lost money more quickly with the cap increasing 20% every year. A few years of a relatively flat cap might change that, but who knows?

I did think that the Lakers would eventually be a beneficiary of this due to being one of the teams willing to spend a ton of money. . . and while it hasn't happened yet, it seems to be on the edge of happening.

euphronius posted:

Share more revenue.

The funny thing is that OKC and the Wizards ironically pushed for a low luxury tax limit because they were trying to extract as much tax as possible from the large teams who they thought would continue to perpetually spend.

Now, the Lakers certainly TRIED to keep spending money and Dwight kind of derailed that but this sure did backfire on OKC at least.

Rick fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 18, 2018

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

NTRabbit posted:

Florentino Perez is worth $2 billion Euros, and doesn't pay black players as much as white players, not because he's racist, he just doesn't like black people.

He'd probably fit in better with the NFL owners.

One of those teams is owned by the fans, I just don't follow close enough to remember which

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPiEioo71Rg

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rick posted:

I did think that the Lakers would eventually be a beneficiary of this due to being one of the teams willing to spend a ton of money. . . and while it hasn't happened yet, it seems to be on the edge of happening.

The funny thing is that OKC and the Wizards ironically pushed for a low luxury tax limit because they were trying to extract as much tax as possible from the large teams who they thought would continue to perpetually spend.

Now, the Lakers certainly TRIED to keep spending money and Dwight kind of derailed that but this sure did backfire on OKC at least.

Good point

So you’d have to decouple revenue sharing from the tax

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lockback posted:

I don't know why they don't allow this. "You can amnesty a player as long as you have not amnestied another contract in the last 36 months" or whatever. That seems like something that largely helps everyone.

I think it would be better if the amnesty rule was that you could only have one going at a time, according to the remaining time on the contract you amnestied.

So, you amnesty a guy with just one year on his deal left? Aight, you can use your amnesty again next season.

The guy has three years left? Welp, see you three years from now.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Dejan Bimble posted:

One of those teams is owned by the fans, I just don't follow close enough to remember which

Real Madrid, Barcelona, Osasuna, and Atletic Bilbao. Up until recently, the teams in Spain negotiated their TV rights individually, which meant that every team that wasn't the top two negotiated for peanuts to 50 mill or so a season, and Real Madrid and Barcelona were getting 150 million each, that money solidifying their status as the biggest money teams in a noncompetitive league, and the biggest players across Europe for decades, until they were in turn blown away by Russian and middle east oil money, and they lost their TV right advantage to a new Spanish league collective bargain system.

One funny little story about Real Madrid is the time they defaulted on a loan, and the bank tried to call them on it, so the President/other leaders encouraged their fans to all go and withdraw their money the next morning, which started a run on the bank, and they had to back out of it.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 18, 2018

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Plenty of soccer teams are fan owned but in my experience that doesn't really change a lot other than being able to vote for club president. Most money comes from TV and there's a brutal gap between South American clubs and sheik— owned European teams that just poach any semi decent player from anyone if they strike their fancy.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/986399079365267457

I thought he was good, why are the Hawks letting him leave?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

The Glumslinger posted:

You know the cliche, new management wants their own coach, and Bud has some bad blood since he lost management power.

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose

The Glumslinger posted:

Hawks ownership is stupid as hell I guess? Just another day of being an Atlanta Sports Fan honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Tae posted:

You know the cliche, new management wants their own coach, and Bud has some bad blood since he lost management power.

He also is probably the anonymous coach that got chewed out by ownership for beating the Wizards instead of tanking.

edit:

Woj posted:

"I know of an instance of an owner berating, really berating his coach here in the last several weeks of the season for going in and beating a pretty good team on the road, going, 'What are you doing?'"

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 18, 2018

• Locked thread