Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

jesus christ thats a lot of words about a video game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
We're well into '99 on the B&V retro shows and there's been an alarming amount of "Nitro was actually pretty good" this year

Did ... did Stockholm Syndrome finally take them :ohdear:

(I guess it helps that Raw is total poo poo at this time but still)

Benne fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Apr 18, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bryan's video page got taken down entirely because he played Art Bell's music at the start and finish of a recent B&V Show as a tribute without realizing it was copyrighted :lol:

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
:russo: hasn't shown up at Atlanta yet. Just you wait...

Jerusalem posted:

Bryan's video page got taken down entirely because he played Art Bell's music at the start and finish of a recent B&V Show as a tribute without realizing it was copyrighted :lol:

:rolleyes: Oh, Bryan...

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Benne posted:

We're well into '99 on the B&V retro shows and there's been an alarming amount of "Nitro was actually pretty good" this year

Did ... did Stockholm Syndrome finally take them :ohdear:

(I guess it helps that Raw is total poo poo at this time but still)

April 99 was a pretty good month. A lot of the big stars were back, Hogan is gone(though admittedly he was pretty good in March), and there's a lot of ridiculous poo poo that just happens to be fun too(all the hardcore stuff). I was rewatching along with them and ended up binging the whole month because it was so enjoyable. I'm don't remember why because it has turned out to be not very good, but when I was a kid loved the tag title scene with Raven/Saturn, Benoit/Malenko and Kidman/Rey.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

Was it the Midnight Express theme or Midnight in the Desert? Because one is much funnier than the other!

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

MassRafTer posted:

Was it the Midnight Express theme or Midnight in the Desert? Because one is much funnier than the other!

it was this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L24HbpvQXmo

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
That's the midnight express theme.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The brain worms that man has are astounding. The famous movie theme that was then used as a famous wrestling theme.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
drat the Observer Radio about Bruno is going to be brutal. Dave was good friends with him right?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

The brain worms that man has are astounding. The famous movie theme that was then used as a famous wrestling theme.

"Who the heck is Giorgio Moroder?"

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

algebra testes posted:

drat the Observer Radio about Bruno is going to be brutal. Dave was good friends with him right?

god dammit this is how I learn

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

GoutPatrol posted:

god dammit this is how I learn

Same. Thought to myself "That'll be really depressing" then realized what it meant.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Sack really should be dug up to write the eulogy

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Sack really should be dug up to write the eulogy

Oh God.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
:smith:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/986631594122203136

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I remember when Bruno would go on WOR and Dave was just so excited to talk about lifting weights for an hour :3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The stuff on WOL about Bruno's loyalty to Giant Baba is awesome :allears:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

PaybackJack posted:

April 99 was a pretty good month. A lot of the big stars were back, Hogan is gone(though admittedly he was pretty good in March), and there's a lot of ridiculous poo poo that just happens to be fun too(all the hardcore stuff). I was rewatching along with them and ended up binging the whole month because it was so enjoyable. I'm don't remember why because it has turned out to be not very good, but when I was a kid loved the tag title scene with Raven/Saturn, Benoit/Malenko and Kidman/Rey.

yeah

i maintain wcw's plunge really started after spring stampede that month, with heel ddp, midlife crisis randy savage, and the start of wcw really getting desperate

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Bryan had this interesting theory that in 99 where they are, WCW taught their fans that wrestling matters but WCW sucks, and WWF taught their fans wrestling doesn't matter but WWF is awesome.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

algebra testes posted:

Bryan had this interesting theory that in 99 where they are, WCW taught their fans that wrestling matters but WCW sucks, and WWF taught their fans wrestling doesn't matter but WWF is awesome.

He is right, the nWo era and the book going to Nash and Hogan meant that WCW had to be losers.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
All I'm learning is that WCW was so clearly better than WWF/WWE that their death is now the saddest thing and that current NJPW scratches the lost itch of just wanting rasslin.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
My big takeaway from revisiting these Raws is that the Ministry of Darkness is painfully lame when you're not 12 years old

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

wcw was always better

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
The WWE Network version of Bruce and Conrad's podcast has episode 1 up and less than an hour in we're getting stories about doing guerrilla shoots at graveyards and being interrupted by old couples visiting their future burial plots

edit: and now there's a giant Vince Russo head on a stick

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 19, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Super No Vacancy posted:

wcw was always better

There was a very brief period where Nitro was genuinely a better show than Raw but holy poo poo let's not fool ourselves that WCW wasn't the biggest, most spectacular trainwreck of a shitshow for 90% of its Turner-owned life.

Edit: Bryan and Vinny actually mentioned this a few shows back, about how all this stuff absolutely infuriated them back when it was happening but now with the benefit of hindsight and knowing that the company is on its way to an ignominous death, they can just enjoy how loving stupid and awful it is without being invested in hoping/praying things would get better.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also RAW gets genuinely non ironically great in 2000, maybe a bit before and puts all this poo poo to shame.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

algebra testes posted:

Also RAW gets genuinely non ironically great in 2000, maybe a bit before and puts all this poo poo to shame.

I know it's cool to bag on early 00s HHH, but having a top heel who could fight dudes in regular matches was the last piece to the puzzle.

Yeah, they had that earlier, but then the Rock turned face before their roster got... REALLY REALLY good

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Vertical Lime posted:

yeah

i maintain wcw's plunge really started after spring stampede that month, with heel ddp, midlife crisis randy savage, and the start of wcw really getting desperate

I maintain that the spike set in the track to derail WCW happened in February when they completely scrapped all their main event plans and turned 4 of their main eventers in an hour of television with no wrestling.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xx99d4

Blitzkrieg v Rey Misterio, Jr. vs Psychosis vs Juventud Guerrera

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

There was a very brief period where Nitro was genuinely a better show than Raw but holy poo poo let's not fool ourselves that WCW wasn't the biggest, most spectacular trainwreck of a shitshow for 90% of its Turner-owned life.

since we are talking about pro wrestling, doesn't this actually make them the winner?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Pro wrestling is about making money tho.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Dave's obit for Bruno is up and it's a good read

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

algebra testes posted:

any promotion would kill for the workers/storylines/business of the wwf in the first half of 2000 or so

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Jerusalem posted:

Edit: Bryan and Vinny actually mentioned this a few shows back, about how all this stuff absolutely infuriated them back when it was happening but now with the benefit of hindsight and knowing that the company is on its way to an ignominous death, they can just enjoy how loving stupid and awful it is without being invested in hoping/praying things would get better.

I actually really like the retrospective discussions way more because of this. When it's good, they can enjoy it being good, when it's bad, they can enjoy it being bad. No endless hand-wringing about the future or business.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Super No Vacancy posted:

wcw was always better

we just watched Halloween Havoc 2000 for Tuesday nitro and no

no it was not

Lid posted:

All I'm learning is that WCW was so clearly better than WWF/WWE that their death is now the saddest thing and that current NJPW scratches the lost itch of just wanting rasslin.

we watched a regular singles match where Jeff Jarrett sat in a ring while 6 fake Stings attacked the real Sting that ended with Sting taking 2 guitar shots and losing all in front of a ref

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
There's not a lot I can add about Bruno but I had some Apter mags I found last year that had kayfabe articles on him from the 70s and decided to read a couple. No Hulkamatt this week as our schedules didn't match up on such short notice.

https://twitter.com/mongo_ebooks/status/986972012349394946

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MassRafTer posted:

There's not a lot I can add about Bruno but I had some Apter mags I found last year that had kayfabe articles on him from the 70s and decided to read a couple. No Hulkamatt this week as our schedules didn't match up on such short notice.

https://twitter.com/mongo_ebooks/status/986972012349394946

I will gladly play fake hulkamatt whenever the real hulkamatt isn't available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

coconono posted:

I will gladly play fake hulkamatt whenever the real hulkamatt isn't available.

now all we need are 5 more fake hulkamatts