Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Seriously why is the DLC for fallout 4 still being sold at full price. It costs more than the base game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Keeshhound posted:

My point was that the writing team was so disinterested in the lore that they were creating that they didn't even realize what they'd done. It's not a matter of consent; if this had been a story about human slaves taking refuge with a secret organization who said

"Ok, I've got a way for you to hide: we've got these spores of a weird parasitic worm that, if you inhale them, will gestate and hatch in about two hours. Then they'll burrow into your brain, and knock you unconscious almost instantly. After that, they'll take about five hours to devour all the parts of your brain that made you you, and then they'll grow into replacement parts and when your body wakes up, it'll be like a whole different person is inside of it. Your former masters will never find you."

No one would act like that was a reasonable suggestion. Not to mention the fact that it doesn't even work; one of the main story missions for the institute is tagging along with a courser to reclaim a synth that had it's memory wiped and became a raider.

And if someone on the writing team gave a drat, they could have done something interesting with that; maybe had a conversation with a synth who was considering the procedure, but as long as I'm wishing for poo poo that'll never come, I might as well ask for my build choices to have more meaning than locking me into a specific weapon type.

i think what kind of throws a monkey wrench in your analogy is that the mind-wiping is at least partly offered as a solution for synths who were used to replace people.

like, if the mind-wiping is to get rid of your Total Recall'd personality and let you be you instead of some random asshat who got murdered, that sort of changes the calculus compared to if it's just a thing to help them hide.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The problem with Fallout 4(and NV/3 to a lesser extent) is that the world is tiny, so the few okay/good quests and characters get old quick with multiple playthroughs. At least in Skyrim you can spend most of a playthrough in one hold with one character.

I wish they'd go whole hog with the random generation quests and randomly generate dungeons too.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Nasgate posted:

I wish they'd go whole hog with the random generation quests and randomly generate dungeons too.

Part of me thinks that would be pretty neat. There were plenty of unused building interiors in FO4 they could have used for something like that.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Nasgate posted:

I don't think I've ever seen words more cursed in this thread.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I'd be cool with randomly generated dungeons, but it'll probably be a generation :v: or two of iteration before it starts to approach being reliable. They'll definitely keep some static maps for their plot happenings and the two approaches combined should be fine.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Arcsquad12 posted:

Seriously why is the DLC for fallout 4 still being sold at full price. It costs more than the base game.

They're A/B testing you paying the same price for a game+dlc regardless.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Nasgate posted:

Now, my champion, rest well this night, for tomorrow you sail for the kingdom of Daggerfall.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Vavrek posted:

Now, my champion, rest well this night, for tomorrow you sail for the kingdom of Daggerfall.

I am actually very excited about that Daggerfall unity project.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
It's always hard to tell, when people talk about random generation, whether they don't know anything about Daggerfall and don't realize it's a part of Bethesda's history, or are instead huge Daggerfall fans who have been shouting GUYS YOU DID IT BEFORE COME ON IT WAS GREAT for over a decade.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I don't think I've ever seen words more cursed in this thread.

<Two Years Later>

How many fingers does this monkey's paw have?!? :gonk:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Zombie Squared posted:

I forgot first aid. God, that is dire compared to doctor. I don't even know what the balancing thing was supposed to be.

First Aid has a higher starting value and can be raised with books, so I assume the intention was that you rely on it if you don't want to spend any skill points on healing and only get Doctor if you've got SP to spare. Of course, the abundancy of Stimpaks makes either skill pretty superfluous.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I get the impression that hindsight is affecting our impressions of first aid/doctor. I remember my first run through Fallout 2 (as a callow youth), I made an enormous number of mistakes that contributed to my using first aid to top up after fights because I didn't want to waste my precious stims! This would have still been around the The Den/modoc/Vault City/redding section of the game when supplies are limited. I also probably only had sulik and maybe cassidy at this point in the game, trying to keep them topped up fighting raiders and slavers and crazies.You can have a fairly decent First Aid skill early if you've built an int character and have used the trainers to top off your combat skills.

Of course in later runs I just iced every merchant who gave me sass and was swimmin in stuff from The Den onwards. These days I try to set restrictions on what my character is willing to do to avoid breaking the game.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Vavrek posted:

It's always hard to tell, when people talk about random generation, whether they don't know anything about Daggerfall and don't realize it's a part of Bethesda's history, or are instead huge Daggerfall fans who have been shouting GUYS YOU DID IT BEFORE COME ON IT WAS GREAT for over a decade.

It's part this and partly a realization that Bethesda is really married to the notion of randomly generated quests and rewards.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
How to break every Fallout game: Pretend companions don't exist and leave their friendly firing pushing you out of covering asses at home

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

Nasgate posted:

The problem with Fallout 4(and NV/3 to a lesser extent) is that the world is tiny, so the few okay/good quests and characters get old quick with multiple playthroughs. At least in Skyrim you can spend most of a playthrough in one hold with one character.

You mean they DIDN'T do that in FO4? Cause they had me fooled then.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Capilarean posted:

You mean they DIDN'T do that in FO4? Cause they had me fooled then.

What's amazing to me is how completely badly they did it in FO4. First brotherhood missions at level 8ish: cleanse College Square (which is fixed), and tech someplace in Far Harbor. Turn in CS, next cleanse: Far Harbor. Quest doesn't even open up til level 30 to go to FH.

Why is this so hard Bethesda?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I've just reinstalled NV, and my god the jank. I saw the big post of mods in the OP of the NV thread, but it's pretty opaque and I'm really just looking for things that will make the game run smoother on my relatively weak PC. What would work for that?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Discendo Vox posted:

I've just reinstalled NV, and my god the jank. I saw the big post of mods in the OP of the NV thread, but it's pretty opaque and I'm really just looking for things that will make the game run smoother on my relatively weak PC. What would work for that?

I'd start with these:
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/34832/
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/53635/
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/35262/
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/51664/

The STEP project (which is all about massive overhauls so ignore most of it unless that's what you're going for) has some recommended performance related ini tweaks, so might be worth glancing at as well:

http://wiki.step-project.com/User:EssArrBee/FalloutNewVegas

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the dlcs for fallout 4 really step up the settlement game in a way thats made it enjoyable for me.

at the very least they added a bunch of clean, whole-looking walls and floors so your guys dont have to live in literal piles of trash. and in most pre-built buildings now you can get rid of the piles of trash and rubble by scrapping the piece of yellow-outlined furniture its attached to, so you can renovate places a lot better.

one of the things that bugs me is how everywhere just has broken trash and leaves all over the floor and shelves, I get it in the ruins but in places where people live they're gonna want it to be clean and as nice as they can make it. IRL shanty towns built on trash heaps are cleaner and better presented than most of the homes in the fallout games. why can nobody just pick up a broom or a wet cloth and wipe the surfaces down? theres enough friggin abraxo cleaner left over.

but some of the DLCs (idk which) add nice barn and warehouse tiles to use, so you can have a clean amish barn, they add nice beds and chairs so your guys dont have to sleep on turded-on mattresses.

the contraptions dlc also adds manufacturing machinery with conveyor belts, so you can play mini-factorio if you want. my brahmins poop enough to keep me in .45 bullets all day long.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

you can also make some really cool greenhouses with the warehouse set

not really a point to them, but you can have some slick looking settlements

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The Homemaker mod has a ton of extra building options too, including the full pre and post war Sanctuary houses so you could make a modern clean suburb if you wanted.

The trash always annoyed me too, I use "scrap everything" just so I can sweep these goddamn settlements after I take them over (just have to be super careful while doing it so you don't accidentally scrap the bunker hill obelisk or similar things, it does mean "everything"). As an added bonus some of the ugly sections of the Castle are just debris decals over perfectly nice stone walls, so other than the big holes in the outer walls you can get it looking pretty tip-top

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Azhais posted:

The Homemaker mod has a ton of extra building options too, including the full pre and post war Sanctuary houses so you could make a modern clean suburb if you wanted.

The trash always annoyed me too, I use "scrap everything" just so I can sweep these goddamn settlements after I take them over (just have to be super careful while doing it so you don't accidentally scrap the bunker hill obelisk or similar things, it does mean "everything"). As an added bonus some of the ugly sections of the Castle are just debris decals over perfectly nice stone walls, so other than the big holes in the outer walls you can get it looking pretty tip-top

There's a mod that gives snappable wall pieces to clean up those holes, too, so you can have a complete fort.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Did that minecrafty approach work in the end? I mean, Bethesda could probably offload to a better studio if they wanted to do fallout post apocalyptic settlement game, and it seems to me that it did detract from overall development in F4 from what you guys are posting

FNV save update: just did the Helios one activation quest and Boone’s. Game is picking up a lot after repconn, and energy criticals against nightkin using their own stealthboys was absolutely great, haha

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

OK I just met Veronica and never in the history of the sport a player has been swapped so quickly (Boone, gtfo)

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Wrong decision imo. And I like Veronica.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Hell, mix and match all you want, companions will happily chill until you pick them up again. Just make sure to take Boone with you when you go to kill some Legion

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Boone is the top companion in New Vegas, and not just because of that weird glitch that causes him to do 110% damage (although that doesn't hurt).

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

We're all agreed that ED-E doesn't count because he never leaves the Courier's side, right?

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Boone is the top companion in New Vegas, and not just because of that weird glitch that causes him to do 110% damage (although that doesn't hurt).

Is it because he's a problem-solver? I bet it's that.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

:hai:

Vavrek posted:

We're all agreed that ED-E doesn't count because he never leaves the Courier's side, right?

Unless you steal Not Elvis's dog.

Just get his brain fixed up and bring him home. ED-E will understand.

Probably.

The cyberdog brain thing raises some uncomfortable questions, come to think of it.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

dont be mean to me posted:

Probably.

The cyberdog brain thing raises some uncomfortable questions, come to think of it.

do it while ED-E is getting upgraded

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Not quite, the weird glitch gives him a 105% crit rate, which is even better (and was sadly patched out)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

JawKnee posted:

do it while ED-E is getting upgraded

Damnit, that's brilliant.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Probably.

You can do the Rex quest while ED-E is off getting studied by the Followers!

E: can't believe it, beaten

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

:smugdog:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Vavrek posted:

Oh of course, ED-E isn't just a companion he's the second protagonist.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Probably.

There should have been an achievement for having the dog gun equipped, while wearing Vulpes' hat, with Rex as your companion.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

cyberdog brains work like processors, the personality is stored in their cybernetics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Download an unlimited companions mod! Never have to argue about who you love more again!