Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Libby must be out tonight. Look at this dumb edit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Still laughing at how stupidly Chris went out last week.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I would hope Chris would be pretty far down the list for a returnee season... seems theres other guys that would be much better.

Chris seems like a good big brother choice though?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I would hope Chris would be pretty far down the list for a returnee season... seems theres other guys that would be much better.

Chris seems like a good big brother choice though?

Alison Grodner has a stick up her rear end and absolutely refuses to cast Survivor alums :(

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Angela harnessing her inner serial killer here

:byodame: I JUST WANT A BUNCH OF CORPSES AROUND ME :black101:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

fuckin lol at everyone's hair in buns

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Angela's plan to sow chaos or whatever just amounts to throwing someone already on the bottom further under the bus. She was probably resentful at him for pointing out the obvious, if she really was left out, and decided to punish him for it

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Man, do I hate the eating challenges. I would never be able to do it.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
This is the authentic beetle grub that Gervase threw up in season 1.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Well that’s an interesting strategy Angela

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Angela's a freak :stare:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Jesus Christ this woman is a psycho

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Midnightghoul posted:

This is the authentic beetle grub that Gervase threw up in season 1.

I didn't know that beetles lived that long!

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

“Seafood entrepreneur”

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The loving stick...

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Propaganda Machine posted:

Libby must be out tonight. Look at this dumb edit.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The loving stick...

When Probst said "This is not........ just a stick", I :lol:d

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

"I made alliances" uh, you sure about that Libby?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Libby turned herself into a threat by blindsiding Morgan and then boasting afterward about how she's not just a pretty face. Anyway, her decision to sell out Michael came tantalizingly close to voting herself out. Once they read the 25 canceled Michael voted I honestly didn't think there'd be more than 1 left to be on Libby

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Libby made the most basic mistake I think players make in these games. She backstabbed someone she didn't need to backstab early on. I don't know how much that ultimately had to do with her eviction but it was clear that for at least awhile early in the game it shaped Domenick's perception of her and was something he used to paint a target on her early. When you make it that easy you not only give people an easy scapegoat to keep out of the loop so you know if things get mad you can push things in her direction, but it gives some people a reason to say "if she did that to Morgan can I trust her?"

Like I said, I don't know how much that ultimately had to do with her eviction but it clearly got the ball rolling and she seemed to try and stop that momentum too little too late.

I'm just glad Wendell didn't go. And to a lesser extent Micheal. He really messed up this episode and would have really regretting making another mistake in not using that idol. And Wendell skates by for the second week in a row seeing his name written down but sitting on his idol. That's gotta be a stressful game.

Its interesting Domenick's kind of fallen below Wendell now. It seems like the majority assume his idol situation is resolved now. Or maybe they just see Wendell as the bigger threat (which I'd agree with), especially considering his challenge prowess.

I'm glad Laurel and Donathan didn't make their move. Not just because I like Wendell but because I think its too early. It might have made more sense for Donathan since it sure seemed this episode like Laurel is closer to Wendell and Dom than he is. It could have helped him to burn that. But Libby and Jenna are flakey allies and they'd be burning allies and choosing to be in the minority. That move really didn't make a lot of sense for Donathan to be pushing right now.

I wonder if Angela got so weird and pro-active because she was scared by the Chris eviction or if as she suggested she just felt restrained by Chris' bossiness and this is her unrestrained. Either way there didn't seem to be a ton of strategy in her "sew seeds" strategy. Like it couldn't have been that hard to paint a target on Michael. And it might have made sense for Angela to open those doors. Dumb of Michael to poo poo talk so many people, though. He deserved to have that turn around on him.

That wasn't a great episode but it gave me a lot to think about as the end game is starting to look a little clearer.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Here's a nitpick that ultimately didn't affect anything but was still a strategic blunder on the 7 Navitis end: the vote split was badly organized. They ended up putting 4 Naviti votes on Michael and 3 Naviti votes on Libby (let's call this Plan A). It makes much more sense to put 5 Naviti votes on Michael and 2 Naviti votes on Libby (let's call this Plan B):

-If Michael doesn't have an idol, Laurel/Donathan can unite the Malolos and get Wendell out on a 5-4-3 vote in Plan A. Under Plan B, Laurel/Donathan are powerless; even if they unite the Malolos it's a 5-5-2 vote and Michael goes home on the re-vote.

-If Michael DOES have an idol and plays it but Laurel/Donathan don't know about it, under Plan A Laurel/Donathan can still get Wendell out on a 5-0-3 vote. But under Plan B, even if Laurel/Donathan *want* to flip, they think flipping is pointless because it would be a 5-5-2 vote and almost certainly would not flip (even though they technically would get Wendell out on a 5-0-2 vote).

-If Michael does have an idol and plays it and Laurel/Donathan do know about it, then Laurel/Donathan can get Wendell out on either Plan A or Plan B if they can gather the Malolos.

In 2 out of 3 scenarios Plan B is safer than Plan A, and in the third scenario both Plans are equally dangerous. Given that the second scenario ended up being the most relevant, had Laurel/Donathan decided to flip Wendell would have gone out because of a completely avoidable error.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Navati made the typical vote split potential math mistake but I chalk it up to Wendell (and Dom) basically calling the shots and them feeling secure enough with Laurel that she wouldn't risk blowing everything up and ending up on the wrong side of the numbers right now. If I'm Wendell I'm less concerned with Laurel and Donathan on this vote than I am with people like Desiree, Sebastian, Angela, and Chelsea getting antsy. Or Kellyn pulling a power move. But much like he figured last week if Navati is splitting he's screwed.

A lot of Navati are kind of floating right now so... Kellyn is the only other one I'd expect to do the math but I get the vibe she's just got a real big head about her game and I guess Wendell and Dom are placating her and making her feel in control. I can't tell if she has control over the girls since I can't tell what happened last week with Desi and Angela's votes.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
As much as people are talking up Dom/Wendell as the dangerous players I think the Naviti girls are a much bigger risk at the moment. They're really locked in together and behind the scenes of the Chris/Dom war they've been dictating the votes for most of the game. Really glad to see Michael save himself tonight. For all the deserved poo poo the show gets for having too many advantages there's still nothing like a well-timed idol play :discourse:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not convinced at all that the Navati girls are remotely united. We had that one well scene that didn't pan out. Desi and Angela voted differently than Kellyn and Chelsea. Michael said Angela was left out of the vote, which I don't know if he was right, but Angela definitely seemed to feel she was on the outside. Desi was basically asking what was going on this episode. Bradley said that Kellyn was ordering Chelsea around and Chelsea was closer to Dom. And Michael was pitching that Chelsea (and Sebastian) were outside the Kellyn and Desiree (and Bradley) core.

It's a lot of heresay and unknowns but it's a weird case because none of the four have gotten much tv time at all to discuss game. But I really don't see much reason to think the four of them have any connection. Maybe Kellyn and Desiree but I'm doubting that too.

They definitely could be a power group if they were, at least just in voting numbers especially if they saw the writing on the wall and used Micheal, Jenna, and Sebastian. It just doesn't feel that way to me right now. My best read is Chelsea is with Dom, Kellyn feels she's got a command, Angela is feeling rogue, and Desi feels isolated.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Interesting that everyone on Malolo jumped ship, since Wendell only got one vote (from Michael). From the preview he seems to take it in stride, though.

If Michael had told the other Malolos about his idol, could he have solidified them to be 5-strong and not have to play it (we can guarantee a Naviti out tonight, don't let them sway you)? I'm not sure. There's always the risk of the other four being a mole and feeding infomation back to the Navitis they spent time with. But whether he told them or not, I think he should have played it; there was just too much risk not to.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I think that vote proved that Donathan and Laurel are 100% team final four with Dom and Wendell, especially since we saw them acknowledge and discuss the option. That foursome is going to lay waste if the rest of the Navitis stay naive and maintain the day 1 tribal lines.

As for Jenna and Libby, I'd imagine they talked to Laurel and Don and felt powerless enough to go along with it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Wendell and Michael are actually pretty similar; they're both smart, physical players with even temperaments. The difference is that Wendell lucked into a four-man core with a Day 1 alliance partner and two people that were willing to cross tribal lines. Whereas Michael ended up on a losing tribe and then got swap screwed, since everyone from his original tribe he ended up with post-swap got eliminated except for Jenna, and the two people he spent the most time with (Kellyn and Desiree), were ironclad in not budging. So he ended up having everyone turn on him for an easy vote.

Not to say he couldn't have tried to form some bonds in those six days after the swap, but it was definitely against him. And he has such a big target on his back that I imagine Jenna wouldn't want to be seen as too associated with him. His best hope is that people decide to keep him around as a high-vis shield.

STAC Goat posted:

Dumb of Michael to poo poo talk so many people, though. He deserved to have that turn around on him.

I'm not going to fault him too much there, it seemed like a pretty casual conversation which would probably happen any day while they're just whiling away at camp. Remember that the editors only show us what's relevant, so there could have been a dozen talks like that between any pair. Michael did roast too many people, but I'm not going to stress too much on him having to be alert in every conversation 24/7.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, Navati made the typical vote split potential math mistake but I chalk it up to Wendell (and Dom) basically calling the shots and them feeling secure enough with Laurel that she wouldn't risk blowing everything up and ending up on the wrong side of the numbers right now. If I'm Wendell I'm less concerned with Laurel and Donathan on this vote than I am with people like Desiree, Sebastian, Angela, and Chelsea getting antsy. Or Kellyn pulling a power move. But much like he figured last week if Navati is splitting he's screwed.

A lot of Navati are kind of floating right now so... Kellyn is the only other one I'd expect to do the math but I get the vibe she's just got a real big head about her game and I guess Wendell and Dom are placating her and making her feel in control. I can't tell if she has control over the girls since I can't tell what happened last week with Desi and Angela's votes.
But what if they think Donathan and Laurel are secure but aren't so sure about Michael, Jenna, and Libby? The Navitis put only 2 on Libby, Michael plays his idol, and those 3 vote Wendell or whoever out.

Notice btw the unsecured Malolos in this scenario are the ones that were under the Bradley-Kellyn boot. If Laurel and Donathan didn't have a better offer, the Navitis would not have been able to split the vote. Unfortunately they did have a better option than blindsiding Naviti and still being down in the numbers.

I'm looking forward to more people turning on Dom and Wendell though. Too much power there, Wendell's idol not even flushed.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm not going to fault him too much there, it seemed like a pretty casual conversation which would probably happen any day while they're just whiling away at camp. Remember that the editors only show us what's relevant, so there could have been a dozen talks like that between any pair. Michael did roast too many people, but I'm not going to stress too much on him having to be alert in every conversation 24/7.
Yeah me neither, he was trying to flip the bottom Naviti. So he made the case to her why she shouldn't work with the other Navitis.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah it felt like she was doing it out of a desire to feel in charge rather than as a smart strategic move

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Angela is the kind of person who is never going to turn on Naviti until they vote her out in 7th place, no matter how many people warn her about that exact thing happening. She's an old school player of the very worst kind. She'll be super bitter and upset about it, too. Just watch.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm actually reminded of Edna in South Pacific. She was in the fringes of the core alliance, but she never had a reason to flip (especially after Cochran flipped). And then she campaigned to stay over Brandon, who just bullied her out in 6th place. Even though Sophie wanted her to stay over Brandon, Edna would have never made it to FTC, even as a goat.

The problem was that Edna was never playing to win, she was playing to stay in the majority, until she no longer was. Right now, Angela (and Chelsea) is playing for 7th. Sure she got a taste of power in her (failed) move to get out an obvious target... but she's not making a case for the jury, or solidifying any lines that weren't already there.

I don't think Angela's a 7th placer right now though. Sure she's easily the lowest person on the totem pole, but she's also arguably the least threatening. Kellyn/Desiree and Dom/Wendell are going to target the other pair first.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I can't really remember much of Libby early in the season but I definitely felt sorry for her this episode. But it's a sacrifice to keep Michael in the game, really liking quite a few of the remaining cast.

Wendell popped off in that first challenge, impressive stuff. And Angela beating Michael was huge, imagine if we had won immunity tonight.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It'd be an easy result: if Michael won immunity then Libby probably gets ousted 9-3 with Laurel and Donathan jumping ship; they have no reason to suspect she has an idol, and I doubt Michael would burn his right now to protect her.

Or they split it 5-4 between Libby and Jenna, same result except that Michael's Malolo-strong plan has a slightly better chance of working, but still ultimately fails because Laurel and Donathan would still flip.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I'm confused about the Naviti women as well. The edit appears to be painting them as solid, but like somebody mentioned, Angela more or less admitted to being on the outside of that last vote, so maybe her and Des really are just blowing in the wind right now? Those four are getting such unfavorable/non-existent screen-time that I'm having trouble seeing things going well for any of them.

I was also glad to see both Michael and Wendell make it through. As a big of a threat Michael is, it would be a bit of a shock to see a 9-2/10-1 vote against him at this point in the Pagonging. Something's gotta give, probably this next episode.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Did Angela just swallow that first sea cucumber thing whole? It didn't look like she chewed it, it was just gone.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yeah, I don't mean to kill him for it. Angela seemed to initiate it and you gotta talk some game and reach out when someone extends a hand. Ultimately he just fell victim to Angela being a snake and doing it solely to bury him. But he did a bit too much talking and said too many names. It was easy for Angela to turn that around on him and get a bunch of people upset. He's in a bad position but that just makes it more periloius and gives him less margin for error.

But he survived it. So live to fight another day. And I can't knock him too much for not just reading Angela as that kind of player. But unfortunately for him he's gotta keep his guard up.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Well even if Michael had steered that conversation perfectly it would have been easy for Angela to lie; the Navitis all seemed to accept her words at face value. The unfortunate thing is perception is reality, and as long as Angela keeps spinning people against him it's going to be harder for him to build a bond with other people if they don't give him a chance to defend himself.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sure, maybe. Maybe Angela is that dirty. But like if you just assume everyone is capable of anything you can excuse any move. Ultimately you just have to deal with what you can control and in this case I think he dropped too many names.

But he survived it so maybe he can live long enough for Navati to blow up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Sand Monster posted:

Did Angela just swallow that first sea cucumber thing whole? It didn't look like she chewed it, it was just gone.

She absolutely did and you could see that the reaction on the bench was somewhere between impressed and terrified.

• Locked thread