Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Busket Posket posted:

There’s a documentary on one specific defector, James Dresnok, whose entire rationale boils down to “I get to be the bully now DAD, plus Korean women are better than American women because they don’t make fun of me, and here I’m not fat, I’m a godlike giant. Plus they put me in propaganda films as The Evil American so I’m pretty well-known.” He was given a stipend for his propaganda service that made him essentially a wealthy man in DPRK after being a shiftless doofus in his American life.

typical expat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Pick posted:

typical expat.

Minus cultivating an online persona as an extremely racist piece of poo poo, which is essentially mandatory these days.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Busket Posket posted:

There’s a documentary on one specific defector, James Dresnok, whose entire rationale boils down to “I get to be the bully now DAD, plus Korean women are better than American women because they don’t make fun of me, and here I’m not fat, I’m a godlike giant. Plus they put me in propaganda films as The Evil American so I’m pretty well-known.” He was given a stipend for his propaganda service that made him essentially a wealthy man in DPRK after being a shiftless doofus in his American life.

All his firsthand knowledge of brutal totalitarianism was completely overshadowed by his ego.

How much was the stipend?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Food. Food enough to eat.

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

The POW/MIA talk makes me think of Clyde McKay, whose remains were returned to the US and identified in 2005.

In 1970 Mckay was serving as a merchant marine on the SS Columbia Eagle, which was contracted to deliver military supplies to the US military in Vietnam. The supplies included explosives, munitions, and napalm. Mckay and another sailor named Alvin Glatkowski objected to the use of napalm as a tool of war and took the ship's hostage captain at gunpoint with the intent of sailing the ship to neutral harbor in Cambodia where they would claim asylum. After forcing the captain and the other sailors into lifeboats, they arrived to Cambodia where a recent right-wing coup backed by the US had ended the nation's neutrality. They were arrested spent time on a Cambodian prison ship before parting ways. Glatowski surrendered to the US embassy and was convicted of mutiny, kidnapping, assault, and neglect of duty. He was convicted of all and served out his sentence.

McKay escaped the Cambodian prison and went north to join the Khmer Rouge fighting the new Cambodian government. He made it and attempted to join the Khmer Rouge, who were suspicious that he was working for US intelligence, but they allowed him to join while keeping a close eye on him. That didn't last long as when he was ordered to perform some labor in the camp he told the Khmer Rouge officers that as a fellow revolutionary he wouldn't take or give orders. The Khmer Rouge then promptly executed him.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Objected to the use of napalm, but thought what the Khmer Rouge was doing was fine :thunk:

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Sounds like he was originally headed for the pre-khmer-rouge monarchy and had to make due once he was stuck.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Booger Presley posted:

loving hell. Lost more of my soul recently by watching "I Am Evidence."

It's an HBO documentary exposing the thousands of unprocessed rape kits across the US.

The callous dismissal and blatant bias mentioned makes me sick. Watch it; pay special attention to the successfully incarcerated rates versus originally untested.

I need kittens.

kittens and a mass movement to end the patriarchy

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Booger Presley posted:

loving hell. Lost more of my soul recently by watching "I Am Evidence."

It's an HBO documentary exposing the thousands of unprocessed rape kits across the US.

The callous dismissal and blatant bias mentioned makes me sick. Watch it; pay special attention to the successfully incarcerated rates versus originally untested.

I need kittens.

There was an excellent article in the Washington Post on that topic and a law requiring notification that kits had been tested. Some people were contacted over a decade after the kit was collected. It also went into detail on some of the issues surrounding old kits and the difficulty in prosecuting old cases even when the kits found a match.

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

When McKay originally diverted to Cambodia, it was the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Cambodia_(1953%E2%80%9370) , a neutral monarchy.

By the time he arrived it was the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khmer_Republic , a US-friendly coup government

McKay went north to join the Khmer Rouge in 1971 during the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambodian_Civil_War . The Khmer Rouge would go on to conduct a genocide after they had won the civil war, but at the point McKay went to join they were just communist guerillas to him.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tower time posted:

The POW/MIA talk makes me think of Clyde McKay, whose remains were returned to the US and identified in 2005.

In 1970 Mckay was serving as a merchant marine on the SS Columbia Eagle, which was contracted to deliver military supplies to the US military in Vietnam. The supplies included explosives, munitions, and napalm. Mckay and another sailor named Alvin Glatkowski objected to the use of napalm as a tool of war and took the ship's hostage captain at gunpoint with the intent of sailing the ship to neutral harbor in Cambodia where they would claim asylum. After forcing the captain and the other sailors into lifeboats, they arrived to Cambodia where a recent right-wing coup backed by the US had ended the nation's neutrality. They were arrested spent time on a Cambodian prison ship before parting ways. Glatowski surrendered to the US embassy and was convicted of mutiny, kidnapping, assault, and neglect of duty. He was convicted of all and served out his sentence.

McKay escaped the Cambodian prison and went north to join the Khmer Rouge fighting the new Cambodian government. He made it and attempted to join the Khmer Rouge, who were suspicious that he was working for US intelligence, but they allowed him to join while keeping a close eye on him. That didn't last long as when he was ordered to perform some labor in the camp he told the Khmer Rouge officers that as a fellow revolutionary he wouldn't take or give orders. The Khmer Rouge then promptly executed him.

It only counts when the US does bad things.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Child having behavioral issues? Some rabies will fix that right up!

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/04/homeopath-treated-4-yr-old-boys-behavior-problems-with-saliva-from-rabid-dog

(Fortunately, it was homeopathic rabies. So it couldn't kill anyone.)

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Randaconda posted:

It's not like the Khmer Rouge started their revolution by announcing they were going to murder or starve 25% of the population.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

tower time posted:

when he was ordered to perform some labor in the camp he told the Khmer Rouge officers that as a fellow revolutionary he wouldn't take or give orders

comrade, no, "not to obey orders but to give pride of place to one's own opinions" is the fourth type of liberalism :crying mao smiley:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Speaking of defectors, Amazon is giving away the Kindle version of A River in Darkness: One Man's Escape from North Korea this week.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Randaconda posted:

:rolleyes:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:ohdear:

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Phanatic posted:

Child having behavioral issues? Some rabies will fix that right up!

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/04/homeopath-treated-4-yr-old-boys-behavior-problems-with-saliva-from-rabid-dog

(Fortunately, it was homeopathic rabies. So it couldn't kill anyone.)

Holy poo poo good job Health Canada.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Homeopathy:downs:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

fits posted:

The Harrison Family Murders: How a stunning series of police failures made it take three different suspicious deaths - all in the same family home over the course of years - to open a proper investigation

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Pick posted:

Harrison family murders

Of course they're investigating themselves, what could go wrong?

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Besesoth posted:

Speaking of defectors, Amazon is giving away the Kindle version of A River in Darkness: One Man's Escape from North Korea this week.

Hey thanks for the heads up. I've been trying to read something other than Hellboy comics for the last couple weeks.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

tower time posted:

McKay went north to join the Khmer Rouge in 1971 during the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambodian_Civil_War . The Khmer Rouge would go on to conduct a genocide after they had won the civil war, but at the point McKay went to join they were just communist guerillas to him.

During the Civil War, the government-in-exile of the Cambodian King was allied with the Khmer Rouge, in one of the more ideologically bizarre alliances of the Cold War. A lot of Cambodians joined the Khmer Rouge to fight for the restoration of the monarchy; before seizing power, Pol Pot was very careful to present himself and his followers as part of the legitimate government fighting against a military coup.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Depressio111117 posted:

So the cult NXIVM / DOS is probably done for, thank fuckin' God.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.ffe469734d31

This was a "self help" group (which also had some pyramid-scheme stuff built into its recruiting structure, because hey, why limit yourself to just ONE kind of evil?) that required the (young, thin) women who joined to provide blackmail material for their leader Keith Raniere to unleash to the world if they ever got any ideas about escaping. There's a rumor that Raniere also branded these girls by their pubic area with a soldering iron.

For some reason though, the freakiest thing to me is that he kept these women on an 800-some-odd calorie a day diet, because he liked his brainwashing victims to stay trim. I'm at a calorie deficit if I eat twice that, and I'm pretty slim!

Anyway I'm cooking breakfast so I can't get as detailed with this as I'd like, but let's all hope that these women turn out okay, because usually cult members and especially sexual abuse survivors don't have a great prognosis.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/17/nyregion/nxivm-women-branded-albany.html

Follow up on this, Allison Mack (Smallville actress) was arrested for her part in getting people involved in this cult. She's that sadly all-too-common cult member who is both perpetrator and victim.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/actress-allison-mack-arrested-for-alleged-ties-to-sex-cult-w519396

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Kristin Kreuk was apparently involved at some point although she claims it was just one or two of the self-help classes.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
The secret world of Alison Mack, if you will

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hey goon that posted the west mesa thing.

MFM picked up the story and did a podcast about it.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

fruit on the bottom posted:

Kristin Kreuk was apparently involved at some point although she claims it was just one or two of the self-help classes.

I was reading some article or another that said that Kreuk was way deeper into it than she admits. I'll have to research it more.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Untrustable posted:

I was reading some article or another that said that Kreuk was way deeper into it than she admits. I'll have to research it more.

I’ve seen claims all over the place from hers to the claim that she taught some of the classes, to claims that she helped recruit women.

She wasn’t one of the ones arrested so I don’t know if she was in the illicit side. It’s totally possible that she would have been involved in the legit side and not brought in if they didn’t think she’d go for it. I guess we’ll just have to see how the facts all settle.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Yep. Also I finished A River In Darkness and it was very good. gently caress North Korea. Anybody wanna suggest something else non-fiction and spooky or unnerving? I just finished downloading my free Amazon First Reads™ book for April but it's a murder mystery set shortly after the Dresden fire bombings. It might be ok but I want some non-fiction.

Edit: Nevermind about the Dresden murder mystery. On the second page the main character shares a "Hell Hitler" with a local cop. I don't care about Nazi murder mysteries.

Untrustable has a new favorite as of 10:44 on Apr 22, 2018

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Untrustable posted:

Yep. Also I finished A River In Darkness and it was very good. gently caress North Korea. Anybody wanna suggest something else non-fiction and spooky or unnerving? I just finished downloading my free Amazon First Reads™ book for April but it's a murder mystery set shortly after the Dresden fire bombings. It might be ok but I want some non-fiction.

Edit: Nevermind about the Dresden murder mystery. On the second page the main character shares a "Hell Hitler" with a local cop. I don't care about Nazi murder mysteries.

Not to give you grief..but you got a book "set shortly after the Dresden fire bombing" in I'm guessing..GERMANY and didn't expect it to be full of Nazis? :psyduck:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Untrustable posted:

If you wanna be depressed and angry you can read King Leopold's Ghost.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Untrustable posted:

Fatherland was good :colbert:

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Untrustable posted:

Isaac's Storm is nazi-free, but it does feature the US being racist toward Puerto Rico...and paying dearly

e: it is also terrifying

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Untrustable posted:

It would be a pretty lovely book if the main character got summarily executed on the second page.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
The 'Heil Hitler' salute in Nazi Germany, famously known for being just sort of an optional thing when instigated by an authority figure.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There's always Batavia's Graveyard. And if you want to read about a cop getting executed for doing crimes, there's Hell's Circus.

Pick has a new favorite as of 16:32 on Apr 22, 2018

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pick posted:

There's always Batavia's Graveyard. And if you want to read about a cop getting executed for doing crimes, there's Hell's Circus.

Not a death sentence, but this douche was a cop was a serial killer who got life. (To the surprise of nobody a former cop and killer of kids was killed in prison)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerard_John_Schaefer

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Untrustable posted:

Yep. Also I finished A River In Darkness and it was very good. gently caress North Korea. Anybody wanna suggest something else non-fiction and spooky or unnerving?

The File, by Timothy Garton Ash. British journalist, historian, professor, who did post-grad work in East Berlin. Following German reunification, he decides to see if the Stasi had been spying on him. Of course they were, they spied on everyone, and he obtains the 300+ page file they kept on his entire life. He goes about interviewing the people who'd been reporting on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
My Lobotomy is a big ol’ unnerving bummer.